Our 1st trip ever!!!!!!

sandy3550

Mouseketeer
Ok, I am beginning to feel VERY underinformed! My DH, DD(8) & DS(4) are going on our first family vacation. We leave for Disney World on Dec 19th, after DD gets out of school, gonna get there on the 20th (hopefully b/4 noon) and we are leaving on December 26th. Please help me! After reading alot of your posts, I'm finding that I don't have a clue as to what to expect. We are staying at the All-Star Music Resort and I'm debating on whether to go with the Park Hopper 5-day, or the Park Hopper Plus 6-day (I honestly don't think we will do the water parks so I'm leaning against the PHPlus) I really wanted the extra day at the parks, but can't really rationalize the extra $220 for 1-day. I guess my next problem would be, where do I start? All help will be greatly appreciated! I also want to have a character dinner/breakfast or something for the kids, my DS 5th Birthday is the 27th, kind of a celebration for him, as well as the whole family. Also, what is it gonna be like, being there for Christmas? Like I said, we have no idea what to expect or what it is gonna look like. Thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing your responses.

OK, I'll try to give you some advise, but I'm no expert.
#1: Don't try to do the parks after driving all night. You'll wipe yourselves out the first day and be spent for the entire trip. Lay by the pool or take some leasure time to walk around the AS complex and get familiar with the layout. It's a big place! And go to bed at a reasonable hour.
#2: With the age of your kids, I would start with the Magic Kingdom. This is the park that they will probably like the best and it will keep them interested. Allow at least (30) minutes from the AS Music to MK on the bus (includes bus stop wait, etc.). Try and get to Main Street before park opening and go right to Town Hall for priority seating at Crystal Palace for the Character lunch. This will keep you from spending alot of time on lines for character pictures/autographs. Try and do any of the big rides you can do first (Splash Mtn., Space Mtn., etc.). BUT, don't run from one side of the park to the other to do rides. Use the map and work your way from one end of the park to the other. And definitely use the FASTPASS if the lines get long. It does not cost anything and can save you a bunch of time. The guide map will tell you which rides have FASTPASS. If you want to see a parade, be on the curb at least (30) minutes ahead of time and you and hubby take turns going to the shops, etc. with the kids.
#3: Take a break each day around 2 and go back to the hotel for naps/pool/whatever. Return to the parks for the evening. Make sure you check the operating hours when you arrive due to the cutbacks. Hopefully, at Christmas, things will be back to normal.
#4: Do NOT try and see everything in one 6-day trip. It is not possible. Sit down with the family before hand and go over the info on the WDW website. (Or try http://www.wdwig.com/. I found this to be a real informative site). You might consider skipping a park this time and waiting for a future trip (my personal preference is to skip AK the first time).
#5: Take lots of pictures! If you have a digital, buy extra memory cards. If you have a conventional camera, buy the film in advance. You'll be amazed how quickly the trip will go by and the pictures will make the memories last a long time.
#6: ENJOY!! Don't let anything bother you. The secret of WDW is that you can completely forget about the outside world. Leave the cell phone/pager off and just have a blast. The real world will be there when you get back.

Good Luck! And have fun!!

We've been to wdw 5 times with our kids and I heartily agree that you should go to MK first. Buy the unofficial guide to disney and get familiar with the attractions at the parks and which you would enjoy and when to experience them. By all means, leave around noon and TAKE THE NAP, TAKE THE NAP, TAKE THE NAP! Then return back or to a different park, 2-3 hours later and close it down. Try grabbing a table at casey's corner as you leave and have a quick snack and rest while watching cinderella's castle color changes at the end of the MK day. I'd suggest 2 days at MK, 1.5 days at EPCOT, 1 day at MGM, 0.5 days at AK. Do MVMCP if possible. Don't do many priority seating sit down meals. We'll be there 3 weeks before you and can't wait! You can't start planning too early --- get busy but savor the anticipation. Have a great time and remember to cut each other a lot of slack as you try to do all this during your vacation.

after three trips to WDW my family has decided that we will no longer go to Epcot unless we just have some extra time to burn. I have made myself go back 2 times because so many people say it is their favorite park but we have yet to find enough about it to like it. With children your age I would not spend 1.5 days there for sure. There are a few things about it that are fun, but not as much as the other parks.

I for one love Animal Kingdom and would not miss it for anything on my trips. MGM has some really great shows for the kids that you will probably want to see. I would also say to go to Magic Kingdom on the first day and probably the last day. THat's how we do it in the summer. We like to start at MK and end there. I have personally never been at Christmas but would love to someday. I imagine the MK will be wonderful vor Christmas, can't imagine a mor magical place.

We celebrated our daughter's 5th birthday at WDW in February. Her birthday wasn't until two weeks later, so we designated a day. Go to Town Hall on Main Street in the MK and get a birthday button. Cast members wished her Happy Birthday all day and the characters who signed autographs all wrote Happy Birthday in her book. We ate at Chef Mickey's in the Contemporary because it is convenient to MK via monorail. I mentioned that it was her birthday when I made the priority seating. She received a cupcake w/a candle. I've also read that you can dial a number in the hotel room to have a birthday message from Mickey played over the phone. I didn't know about that at the time.

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party is fun. We had to miss Osborne Lights because someone said we should be seated for Fantasmic two hours in advance. This turned out to be unnecessary, but I was afraid to chance missing it. Never saw Candlelight Processional because my kids are still too young to sit through it.

Definitely do MK on the first and last day. I have to say goodbye to the castle. DH says I'm worse than the kids.

Have a great trip!

You have made a good start. Gather as much info as you can and make a plan. Ask questions on here and you might want to invest in a good guidebook. I personally like The unoficial guide and passporter. Both can be found in local bookstores so you might want to take a day and check them out before you buy.

As I said make a plan but be prepared to be flexible. The more prepared you are before your trip the more enjoyable it will be. You can't see everything so prioritize what you must see. We always make a list of what we need to see to be happy and try to hit those attractions.

We always seem to spend more time at MK with an 8yo and a 6yo so we allow ourselves plenty of time. We like MGM because we like the shows. AK we usually do in 1/2 - 3/4 of a day but we still have not seen everything. Epcot always seems to be open later so we usually do much of our touring at night.

Pace yourselves and take time to enjoy all the little touches around WDW. That is a lot of the magic. Have a wonderful trip!

Wow, you have a lot on your mind...

I have always relied upon a Disney guidebook to decide what to do, when to do it, and what to expect. Even after more than a dozen trips to WDW, I still rely upon a good guide book. If you did not want to buy one, you could go to your local library and peruse theirs. This is what I usually do and I bring it along with us on our vacation...

When planning our WDW vacation I break the day into thirds: all around meals. We plan where we will have breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and do the corresponding activities around our PS ressies. This may be, however, something you would do after you have gone several times rather than for your first time to the World.

I agree with the poster that you should do MK first, as this is the cornerstone of what Disney is all about. There is such mystique and history to MK that it will likely be a truly incredible experience with all that there is to do and see.

I would also recommend you familiarize yourself with FastPass before you get to the parks. This is where a good guide book could help.

And, by all means do the late-night shows and parades. They are truly memorable.

Well, time to say goodnight!

:cool:

I appreciate all of your advice so much! I'm printing all the responses so I can go back over and over and over them. Does anyone have any idea as to what the weather will be like in late December? Will we still need sunblock? It's like 40 here now, so I have a hard time remembering what warm weather is! I especially like the idea of designating a day for my DS birthday! and I will check into the phone call for him! Thanks everyone! Keep sending ideas if you have them. I need help with everything. My DH & I have been married 12 years, and nobody can believe that we haven't taken a vacation before what better place than WDW to start. Hopefully it will become a family tradition!!! I just wish that my kids were just a little bit bigger. My DH doesn't particularly like to ride big rides, so I guess I won't get to either. But that is ok, at least I can ride with the kids!!!

I think you'll find there aren't very many rides that you can't do as a family. That's what's so great about WDW. For the big rides that the 4 year old doesn't want to try, you can also use "child swap". This allows one parent to stay with a child while the other parent rides. Then you "swap" and the other parent gets to ride without waiting. Usually the older child gets to ride both times. My DD loved this! Tell the ride attendant before you get in line. He'll tell you the procedure for that particular ride.

If there's something you want to do that your DH doesn't, use Fast Pass. Then you won't feel that you've forced the family to wait in a long line just so you can ride.

Weather is iffy. In 1998 I packed for cool weather with just a couple of pairs of shorts. It was in the 80s. Last year I packed mostly shorts and it was in the 40s. The pictures are funny because we're in the same clothes day after day. This year I'm splitting it 50/50. lol

Sandy,

Although I have never experienced it I have read posts here that say the weather could be nice or could be chilly. You probably need to pack a little of both kinds of clothes. I've seen pictures of peolpe with coats on and people standing next to them with shorts on. Probably take sunscreen just in case you need it so you don't have to buy some there.

One other thing from your original post if you don't think you will use the plus features but want an extra day you can buy the 5 day park hopper then add a day to it at guest services after you use a day. This can be dine with either kind of ticket. So you would basically have the 6 day ticket.

For the first day at WDW try a character dinner or a really great resturant like Chef Mickey or O'Hana's. You can make this a tradition your family returns to year after year. I'd say two days at MK and a day at every other park. Plan your days around the firework and parade scheduel as they will not have these on every day. Days and times will be released the 1st of December at the Disney.com website. Do bring sunblock, bathing suits and some warm clothes but mostly cooler stuff. Most of all, DO take bottles of water and hats for everyone to the parks - make them wear the hats! I have gotten sunstoke in December and children dehydrate quickly. I don't think you will mind having only five days at the parks, on your sixth you can swim in the hotel pool, go shopping or tour around and look at the the hotel decorations or if it is Christmas day, just open your presents and get dressed up for a really nice family dinner (maybe Crystal Palace or 1900 Park Faire?). A six day holiday with six days in the parks is exhausting. The last day of Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party is the 18th so you will not get to see this but the parks will all be celebrating full blast so you won't een miss it. Two extra suggestions:
1. Take the kids over to one of the Deluxe hotel kids clubs (My home resort is Boardwalk which has the Harbor Club but I think every deluxe has one). They will have a blast and you and your DH can sneak off to a romantic dinner for two. Some dinner suggestions would be Artist Point at Wildreness Lodge or Citrico's at Grand Floridian. They take kids 4 to 12, it is $8 an hour which includes dinner and their hours are 4-midnight.
2. On your day off from the parks take the Disney Vacation Club tour if you really are thinking of making your Disney trip a family tradition. They may be able to give you a credit for your All-Star stay. I know we are very glad we found out about it and we would never have been able to go back as often as we do without it.
Have a wonderful time!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter