Our Disney Experiences with 5 yr. DD

goofiesgirlies

Mouseketeer
We were in Disney March 1-8 with our 5 yr old DD. Couple things that we did right and a couple we didn't do so right! Maybe this will help someone down the road. (Sorry it got so long!)

1. Automatic flushers on the toilet. Although my DD has been toilet trained for years she absolutely freaked out with the automatic flushers. Explain to your kids they need to sit still - this made an enourmous difference because the sensor wasn't always set off with her constant wiggling and we didn't have a DD afraid to go to the bathroom! (I can't believe I'm even telling you this, but it was an issue at the start of our trip!) :)

2. When you go to any sit down restaurant order the kiddie meal when the waitress takes your drink/appetizer order. Make sure you emphasize that you want the kiddie meal served ASAP. This works like a charm - kid is happy, you are happy and less before dinner nightmares especially if the restaurant is busy and serving is slow.

3. Stop at least every two hours for a snack break especially if you have younger children. We forgot this in our excitement the first day at AK. It quickly caught up to us when our DD was becoming a complete nightmare. It is funny how a little package of Cheezits even in line if necessary can boost DD's spirits and revive her instantly. (Have to mention she eats like a bird so this really becomes important when you are on the go like you are at the theme parks.) We also had to remind ourselves to make sure DD drank enough water. It was hot and humid and of course kids will get dehydrated long before adults do.

4. If you can afford to upgrade the rental vehicle so that you have an automobile that your kids can see out of it is well worth the extra $5 a day. I know this can be hard to do with all the dough that leaves your pocket on vacation. But it was worth it for us. My husband thought of this one - I didn't agree when he told me he had upgraded to a small SUV. After the trip I had to admit (for once) he was right! :)

5. Don't worry about the 3 meals a day plan while on vacation. We often didn't have a real lunch. Maybe a couple snacks or some fruit and then had a nice sit down dinner later for supper. It was hot and appetites aren't very big during the hot part of the day. Live it up and have a Mickey ice cream bar instead.

6. If you have been to Disney before, (we had been there once before) ask your kids what they want to do or see. Let them dictate to some degree what ride to do next. If they have a little piece of control, everyone is much happier. I was not at all thrilled with standing in line to get Ariel's autograph for 40 minutes, but for my DD that was one of the highlights of the trip!

7. Do read several guidebooks and of course the DIS for appropriate rides for your kids. I know that DD is scared of dark, loud things so we chose to skip a handful of rides so that we all enjoyed the day.

8. Do go to the parades and shows. DD loved them all. When I first planned to go to Disney I figured we could skip parades, shows and Toon Town. (Seems like a waste of this commando's time.) However, the parades, shows and Toon Town were DD's favorite things. Live and learn.

Your vacation won't be perfect. Expect the meltdowns when you least expect them. Don't be surprised if your kids favorite thing on vacation is the pool!

But all in all I hope you will have a wonderful, magical vacation at the happiest place on earth!

--Jn

Thanks for the great tips! We are going in May with our 4 yo dd also! I was wondering if your dd used a stroller at all. Although my dd hasn't used one in ages, I bought a Kolcraft at Sears on sale for $29.99. It is not an umbrella, but it's really lightweight and has a canopy and basket underneath. It folds up quickly. I figured I'd bring it as my dd won't even be 4.5 yet.

Good tips -

On the auto toilets, I used stickers to block the sensor for dd as she had the shame "flushing fear" as your dd. Just remember to remove them when your done!

Agree with all your tips - except ordering the kids food before ours!

Our experience is the opposite when we get the kids meals first. The kids were done eating and antsy and we were not served yet. I bring some small games or coloring books in the backpack when I know we are having a sit down meal. This way we can get a drink and relax and cool off while kiddos color & play and then eat together. Probably depends on the kids of course - waiting at the beginning or at the end!!

TJ

Last year we had a stroller at MK and my daughter wanted to sit in it ONE time. It was more trouble than it was worth. We pushed it around and she never wanted to sit in it. We asked her this year if she wanted a stroller and she didn't want one.

I really think it depends on the time of year, your child - not to mention the park. How is that for vague? Ha!

At Magic Kingdom the rides are fairly close together so I know DD didn't need it. Epcot is really spread out and having a stroller might be a big advantage. We didn't have one at Epcot and we heard a lot of complaining by the end of the day. (Heck she wasn't the only one complaining - I was too!)

Maybe you could try walking a mall where you live and if all you hear are complaints about tired feet, then maybe you will want to bring or rent a stroller at the parks. The rental strollers are just fine for the older children. They don't recline so it would be a problem with the younger ones.

I also have a dd who is terrified of the auto flush potty. I hold my hand over the sensor while she goes.

As for the stroller, I highly recommend a light one that folds flat for the monorail and trams. My dd's were 5 and 3 last year and by the end of the day couldn't walk another step. Of course, they could get back and swim in the pool until 11:00...
We are headed back in May and will take a stroller for the 1 year old and maybe the 4 year old. I will take the 6 year old on a long walk every night from now until then to build up stamina. 53 pounds is too much to tote.

Thanks for the tips! I am new to posting, been watching from afar for a while. My DD is 5 and we will be going in one week. The potty tip is very helpful as my DD is afraid of Automatic toliets also! Thanks for the heads up!:smooth:

baileygirlsmom - I'm so excited for you and jealous! I hope you have a wonderful trip. You have picked a great time of year to go!

Have fun and let us know your tips when you get back! :)

-Jn

My 5 yr old DD HATES automatic flushers!!!:D
A good idea is to either put a sticker over the sensor eye, we carry stickers in her back pack, OR to take a layer or two of toilet paper and fold it over the sensor eye. This works great every time!!!

Our DD did use a stroller from time to time every day. she just couldn't handle all the walking. I don't blame her!!:D

This year when we go with the baby we will be bringing our new stoller that is the Baby Trend Sit & Stand. DD loves this because she can either stand on the little platform or sit on the little seat behind the baby's seat in the front.
Best $$$ we ever spent on a stroller!!!

GREAT tips!!

We went in January with DS (5YO). We did a lot of the same things. Snacks and water, very important. We did not have a lot of long waits in line, so we lucked out there.

Those automatic flushers! My kids are so goofy, they were upset they didn't get to flush by themselves. Then would push the button anyway. My dd3's big exciting thing she did with her MomMom? "She let me flush the potty!" :rolleyes: We did have a problem where it kept flushing on her b/c she is so small she had to sit on the side.

One more tip, make sure you take your kids to the Playhouse Disney show! That was one of my kids' favorite things at Disney. It is interactive, with dancing, bouncing, roaring... we videotaped it, half of it was of our kids jumping up and down having a blast. When they watched the video, they immediately started dancing again.:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter