Our First Family Disney Trip… Take Two! - May 2024 PTR (Update 5/21 - Cute Kids' Clothes)

What grocery items do you put in your cart for Disney World? G and I don’t drink much (G not at all and me rarely) so we skipped alcohol. I plan to get a reusable mug so I shouldn’t need soda – but perhaps it would be handy to have some in the fridge? I have two days to decide before I place my order!
I always put in a 12 pack of soda because at the end of the night I want one, and I REALLY don't want to walk all they way to the quick service area to refill my mug. I am the odd duck that has to have a diet coke before I go to bed because for some reason caffeine calms me (I think I have undiagnosed ADHD). I also always order a pack of Cliff Bars, bag of animal crackers and a case of water, although I think next time I am gonna go with a 1 gallon bottle of water instead (we bring reusable water bottles). We also order some fruit since that is all my kids ever want to eat.....well fruit and french fries. Balance right?

I've enjoyed reading along with your pre-trip report! You've done so much research and planning (too much for most people!) but I can tell you enjoy it! I hope your family appreciates all of that work (and fun work) that went in to planning and prepping! And, I learned a few things reading through your plans too!

I leave on Sunday 5/26, so our times overlap a little. One thing that I was not anticipating (and maybe was a wild card for your plans too) - THIS HEAT. It is markedly going to be changing up some of my pre-planned ideas, and I am prepared to also adjust on the fly when we are there because that heat is going to zap us. I have ALL the cooling items as I'm sure you do too, and planned breaks during the hottest times. I'm sure you are considering that too. With the little ones, it might be a good idea to prepare for a bit extra on the pool and nap time, and maybe even a swim suit into the parks for things like a splash pad in Epcot or MK. It's nice that you have a good amount of ADRs to sit and relax in the cool climate!
Enjoy your trip! Everyone will get feeling better soon I hope and you'll have a great time!

I'm so excited for you! Only 3 more sleeps!

The last days before you leave can be so stressful and exciting. I'm sure your lists and sticky notes will help a lot.

I'm sorry 3 out of 4 are feeling bad. Hopefully this means everyone will be well in Disney. You know, get the sickness over and done with.

As far as food items, I always like to have water, gum (since they don't sell it at Disney and fresh breath is important and bathroom wipes (again more freshness). I have trouble with the airport in New Orleans when I bring baby wipes in my carryon. I get pulled aside and my bag checked over.

I always put in a 12 pack of soda because at the end of the night I want one, and I REALLY don't want to walk all they way to the quick service area to refill my mug. I am the odd duck that has to have a diet coke before I go to bed because for some reason caffeine calms me (I think I have undiagnosed ADHD). I also always order a pack of Cliff Bars, bag of animal crackers and a case of water, although I think next time I am gonna go with a 1 gallon bottle of water instead (we bring reusable water bottles). We also order some fruit since that is all my kids ever want to eat.....well fruit and french fries. Balance right?

I appreciate your feedback! I likely will get a soda or two - I don’t know that I’ll need a 12-pack, but having some on-hand would be nice. Also, I wish I could still drink caffeine in the evening but now it keeps me up for hours! :laughing:

The Cliff bars (or something similar) is good idea! So is the gallon of water instead of bottles as we’ll also have our reusable water bottles.

And yes, I imagine many French fries will be consumed by our two kids! And bread. So much bread! :laughing:

I've enjoyed reading along with your pre-trip report! You've done so much research and planning (too much for most people!) but I can tell you enjoy it! I hope your family appreciates all of that work (and fun work) that went in to planning and prepping! And, I learned a few things reading through your plans too!

Thank you! And thank you for commenting! :goodvibes

Yes, certainly too much for most people. :laughing: When I showed my husband the printed list of the Flower and Garden food booths (so we could scope out what to order), he asked why I don’t get as excited and in-depth about planning our other vacations as I do for Disney World. I do love planning in general, but something about Disney makes it SO much fun for me. I think the community here helps, too!

Despite my eight-year absence from the parks, I’m glad my research helped you too!

I leave on Sunday 5/26, so our times overlap a little. One thing that I was not anticipating (and maybe was a wild card for your plans too) - THIS HEAT. It is markedly going to be changing up some of my pre-planned ideas, and I am prepared to also adjust on the fly when we are there because that heat is going to zap us. I have ALL the cooling items as I'm sure you do too, and planned breaks during the hottest times. I'm sure you are considering that too. With the little ones, it might be a good idea to prepare for a bit extra on the pool and nap time, and maybe even a swim suit into the parks for things like a splash pad in Epcot or MK. It's nice that you have a good amount of ADRs to sit and relax in the cool climate!

Hooray - you have less than a week to go!

Yes, the heat looks brutal. I’ve been to Disney World three times in May (and twice over Memorial Day weekend) and I don’t remember such high temperatures. I’m grateful we’ll have tons of cooling gear available on the stroller (fans, cooling towels, extra water, etc.) but I know we’ll be taking advantage of plenty of A/C. I do think the heat is one of the reasons I enjoy eating at TS restaurants - the hour break in the A/C (and the unlimited iced tea) make touring in the heat more bearable. I’m also very happy we have planned breaks and plenty of opportunities for pool time!

The swimsuit (or water clothes) for the splash pads is great idea!

Enjoy your trip! Everyone will get feeling better soon I hope and you'll have a great time!

Thank you so much! Have a wonderful time on your trip as well. If you spot us, please do say hi!

I'm so excited for you! Only 3 more sleeps!

Now just two! :eek:

I actually would love if I could get a decent night’s sleep. L wakes up at least once per night due to coughing and then she’s a bear to get back down. She’s usually an excellent sleeper - hopefully her cough improves soon. She’s back to normal except for the cough at night.

I feel more for G, though, as his cough is also keeping him up at night. He’s naturally a light sleeper and it’s tough for him to fall back asleep if he wakes up… he’s averaged 3-4 hours a night of sleep over the past few days. Poor man.

Hopefully everyone’s cough improves - if not, I may need to bring some ear plugs once we’re all sharing a room!

The last days before you leave can be so stressful and exciting. I'm sure your lists and sticky notes will help a lot.

Yes and yes. Thank goodness for my lists!

I actually feel pretty on top of it - I’m planning to pack most of our bags today which I usually don’t start until the day before. I’m a whole day ahead of schedule! :laughing:

I'm sorry 3 out of 4 are feeling bad. Hopefully this means everyone will be well in Disney. You know, get the sickness over and done with.

Goodness, I sure hope so!

As far as food items, I always like to have water, gum (since they don't sell it at Disney and fresh breath is important and bathroom wipes (again more freshness). I have trouble with the airport in New Orleans when I bring baby wipes in my carryon. I get pulled aside and my bag checked over.

I forgot about Disney not selling gum until you mentioned it! I did buy gum during one of last week’s Target runs, so we should be set there. And water is a must!

That’s so strange about the wipes! I’ve had a boatload of wipes in our carry-on/diaper bag since I’ve had kids and never had any issues. Perhaps because I’m toting along children they expect the wipes? Who know?!

So close!!!

Yes, just TWO DAYS to go! :banana:

We just can’t catch a break on illness this year. It feels like at least one person has been sick every week since January. Thankfully this illness is a minor virus but the cough is a bugger. Thank you so much for the good wishes and crossed fingers. We need them!

Wardrobe Planning
a.k.a. All the cute kids’ clothes!

I’ve never been a Disney fashion person.

Don’t get me wrong, I own a Mickey tee and a few Disney sweatshirts, but I don’t plan coordinated Disney outfits for each park day or wear any Minnie ears.

And then I had children. :rolleyes:

I’ve bought them plenty of Disney-themed clothing over the years (and figured they’d wear some Disney gear in the parks), but never thought I’d be an outfit-planning person.

Then during yet another bout of household illness a month ago I started perusing Etsy… and soon I had bags of stuff arriving at our house. :laughing:

Not only that, M insisted that she needed Minnie ears for all our outfits. I went from owning a few ears (Stitch ears purchased years ago and a few inexpensive ears used for wedding photobooth props) to owning over a dozen pairs of ears.

I’m a sucker. They’re darn cute, though! (Plus, the Etsy prices are a heck of a lot better than the Disney prices! And more comfortable, too!)

Outfit planning was done the old-school way with a piece of white paper:

(edited)_thumbnail_IMG_2994.png

Their outfits matched either our park plans or a meal each day. I bought a few extra dresses for our meals, but don’t plan to do many outfit changes each day.

Speaking of dresses, you’ll notice nearly all of M’s clothes are dresses. This is because she’s currently in a dress phase and that’s the only thing she wants to wear. They’ll get a ton of use even after this trip!

Without further ado… here are a bunch of cute kids’ clothes!

Day 1
Travel Day

Travel Outfit:

(edited)_thumbnail_IMG_2992.png

They’ll be wearing shorts (or a skirt) which is yet to be determined. M picked Stitch for her travel shirt and we chose princesses for L.

Dinner at Chef Mickey’s:

(edited)_thumbnail_IMG_2976.png

Minnie all-around! L’s shirt is actually an infant dress that we turned into a shirt. They were out of her size and it was too cute to pass up!

Day 2
Magic Kingdom

(edited)_thumbnail_IMG_2977.png

M was allowed to choose a few casual princess dresses. Her first choice was Rapunzel – we’ll try and catch the meet and greet so we can get a picture with their matching dresses. For L, I chose a Pooh outfit due to our breakfast at Crystal Palace.

Day 3
Epcot

(edited)_thumbnail_IMG_2978.png

We went with a Chip and Dale shirt for M thanks to our breakfast at Garden Grill – I’m sure the chipmunks will appreciate it! I went with a Nemo and Dory shirt for L.

Day 4
Resort Day

Breakfast Outfit:

(edited)_thumbnail_IMG_2979.png

M is pumped to wear her Lilo dress with the fancy flower clip for our ‘Ohana breakfast. L will be in a coordinating Lilo and Stitch dress.

Dinner Outfit:

(edited)_thumbnail_IMG_2982.png

Snow White was a must with our dinner at Artist Point. M is in the traditional colors with a matching bow headband while L is in a cute Snow White shirt.

Day 5
Magic Kingdom

(edited)_thumbnail_IMG_2980.png

M requested this Stitch shirt to wear into Magic Kingdom for her Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique day. L will be donning a Little Mermaid jumpsuit – we may need to visit Ariel in her grotto if she’s not at our CRT lunch!

Day 6
Hollywood Studios

(edited)_thumbnail_IMG_2983.png

I tried to steer M toward a Yoda or Toy Story dress… but she was insistent on Princess Leia. Thankfully, I found one! The Grogu ears are not the right vintage for Leia, but they were so cute I couldn’t resist. L blends with M thanks to her cute Grogu shirt.

Day 7
Resort Day

(edited)_thumbnail_IMG_2984.png

The Mickey/Minnie/Donald/Daisy dress for M is perfect for Topolino’s! L should be equally cute in her Daisy shirt and Minnie skort.

Day 8
Epcot

(edited)_thumbnail_IMG_2985.png

Elsa was M’s other princess dress choice, so I had to go with a Frozen dress for L. This is also the only ears I bought with L in mind – if my blonde older child has Elsa ears, obviously my redheaded younger child needs Anna ears!

Day 9
Animal Kingdom

(edited)_thumbnail_IMG_2986.png

We went with a Lion King theme for our Animal Kingdom day – that seems fitting for their 30th anniversary year!

(Also, I remember seeing that movie in theatres… how was that released thirty years ago?!)

Day 10
Travel Day

(edited)_thumbnail_IMG_2987.png

We’re ending our trip with a cute multiple-character dress (with Cinderella castle!) for M and an adorable Minnie dress for L.

After collecting such cute things for the girls, I decided I needed to get in on the action.

(edited)_thumbnail_IMG_2991.png

I ordered my own “Best Day Ever” shirt for our travel day – featuring Goofy, of course! I completely lost my mind and went with coordinated Goofy ears because, why not?! I also got a second shirt featuring a favorite Disney movie of mine – Up is a treasure!

I also purchased a few surprises for the girls.

I’m so impressed with @StarWarsMomofGirls! amazing Tinkerbelle gifts. I didn’t go for daily surprises, but I thought some surprise pajamas might be a treat.

For our first night, the girls will wear Stitch (M) and Minnie Mouse (L):

(edited)_thumbnail_IMG_2988.png

I also bought a coordinating set of princess jammies:

(edited)_Jammies.png

My greatest achievement, however, was finding a Star Wars nightgown that included Leia. That was tough but the Disney Store came through for me!

(edited)_thumbnail_IMG_2990.png

Also pictured is the other surprise for M – she’ll have a Grogu shoulder buddy for our Hollywood Studios day. It should work well with her Leia dress!

Whew! That’s a lot of coordinated clothes (and so many ears!). Thankfully my outfit planning should make the packing part go smoothly.

Do you tend to coordinate outfits with your park days? Or are you more like my husband who has zero interest in a park-related shirt?

I actually would love if I could get a decent night’s sleep.

I really hope everyone improves and the coughing goes away.

I actually feel pretty on top of it - I’m planning to pack most of our bags today which I usually don’t start until the day before. I’m a whole day ahead of schedule! :laughing:

You go Girl! Planning has paid off.

That’s so strange about the wipes! I’ve had a boatload of wipes in our carry-on/diaper bag since I’ve had kids and never had any issues. Perhaps because I’m toting along children they expect the wipes? Who know?!

I guess it's just a New Orleans thing.

Outfit planning was done the old-school way with a piece of white paper:

I love this!!

The girls dresses and outfits are so cute!!!!!

I can't wait to see the photos.

The end of the school year has me insanely busy, but I wanted to make sure I jumped on here before you left to see your last few updates. I can't believe your trip is so close!!! Is it hard to believe it's finally here? Is M bouncing off the walls with excitement? :laughing:
Very smart of you to plan that buffer between school and vacation. I really, really hope everyone's congestion and gunk clears up soon. You all can't catch a break! (For what it's worth, it does tend to get a little better as the kids get older. Pretty sure those toddler/preschool years were the sickest we've ever been.)

All the outfit choices are so cute! I love, love, love that Lion King dress. And the Stitch/Little Mermaid outfits. Your girls are going to look adorable in the parks and around the resort. There's something to be said for donning your kiddos in a Disney shirt and tapping into a park. :goodvibes

I second a gallon of water in the grocery order. We like to have some in the room for nighttime/mornings.

Where did you find M's princess dresses? Are those Etsy? I'm going to need to find some for my little princess!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter