Our first trip To San Diego

kcmyluv

Mouseketeer
So my family is heading out to San Diego at the end of July. On our last day I would like to take a drive up the coast, does anyone know any good places to stop and play? If you know roads that would be helpful, we have never been to San Diego before. Our flight doesn't leave until 6:45 pm. So we have all day. I am hoping that my 2 year old boys will sleep in the car for a bit. Thanks!

Hi there,

Hope you have a wonderful time in San Diego, it's a beautiful city. I've lived here since 1982. Let's see, if you're flight leaves at 6:45 p.m., you need to be at airport by 5:30 at latest. You say you want to go "up the coast." To drive up the coast, you would take Interstate 5 north. From San Diego, you will hit La Jolla, Carlsbad, Oceanside and Orange County. The thing is, if you go all the way up to Orange County, that is approximately 90-120 miles (depending on how deep you go). That is a 1/12 to 2 hour drive, each way, without traffic. So, you have to be careful not to go too far. I'm not too familiar with Orange County beaches, I think you're best bet would be to just drive within SD County and see the sites. Drive up and see La Jolla. La Jolla shores is beautiful, so is Del Mar which is just north of La Jolla. You may also want to go slightly south of San Diego to Coronado. That is one of the nation's best beaches. It's beautiful. Stop and browse at the Hotel Del Coronado and hit the beach there. You won't be disappointed.

KCMyLUV - who lives in SimiValley highly recommended a stop at Carlsbad Beach for our trip

hi Disney Anna - wondering if i could pick your brain alittle

We will also be taking our first trip to San Deigo (Actually first trip to any part of Ca.) and since you live in SD wondering if you could answer some questions for me.

Trying to decide on a hotel and there seems to be a large ranch of prices. We did find Bahia Resort on Bay Drive for 364.00. for two nites, a Towne & Country for 264.00 for two nites on Hotel Drive??. Mission Valley seems to be the least expensive area and LaJolie on of the more expensive but also seems pretty far away from Balboa Park/Zoo/Old/Town/Seaport valley.

If you only had two days (and have been to disney's Animal Kingdom in florida) What would you do??? to get the most out of your stay - it is two adults and son number 3 who is 15 years old.
Thinks we've considered - of course we are doing this blind, never being in California before:

Staying at the Bahia Resort - seems nice from the pictures but is it worth the price??
Harbor Cruise, visit marina - is there a good seafood restuarant at the marina or at Seaport Village & what is Seaport Village??,
Visit Old Town - sounds kind of neat but what is old town and how long to visit/walk the streets
visit Balboa Park - what is in the park and how long to visit
2 hour sail on an american Cup racing Sailboat? is it worth 100.00?? - thought this might be fun for the 15 year old.
Wild Kingdom Park - how long to tour that - is it all day or is 1/2 enuf??

could you recommend any good restuarants? Is Jim Croche's anygood?
thanks for any help you can offer.
deb

My personal preference would be to stay away from the hotels on Hotel Drive. There's nothing wrong with them, they are perfectly nice, but there are much nicer places to stay.

I would far prefer the Bahia hotel, as it is on Mission Bay. There are many fun activities to do here, from renting a sailboat to biking around to swimming, etc. It's a very pretty area and a good location for hitting the tourist spots in San Diego, which is why it is more expensive than the Town and Country.

LaJolla is beautiful. However, I think you will be happier staying in the Mission Bay area and just visiting LaJolla.

I don't live in San Diego, but have visited many times--I live a bit further north in the north part of Los Angeles County.

Hi DeeDeeDis,

I'm sorry I won't be able to help on the hotels as I live in SD and just stay... well, home. Mission Valley would be a decent choice and fit in very well with my suggestions as it is fairly centralized. I have been in the Bahia and it is indeed a great resort but for a two day stay I doubt you would spend enough time there to really enjoy it. My only semi-suggestion is to maybe go the Priceline-esque route (a good friend of mine told me to check out biddingfortravel.com but I haven't used it yet so no comment).

If I had never been to SD and had two days I would go to SD Zoo one day and Sea World the next. The problem I have is that it doesn't really give you a sense of San Diego per se, just the two main attractions in town but to do those two I am sure you will have tons of fun!

I hope you enjoy your stay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter