Our Xmas and New Year stay at WL and POLY

richard3330

Cirque Fan
Hi :wave:

About a week ago we got back from one week at Wilderness Lodge, 4 nights at Polynesian (and 3 Nights at POBay, USF)

Wilderness Lodge:

We LOVE this resort!!!!!! We couldn't believe that we had never stayed there before after visiting here - everything was exceptional. We loved the theming, The CM's were amazing, The Concierge Lounge was wonderful, The Swimming Pool looked great, The lobby was incredible, The restaurants were wonderful and very good value and Best of All - The Christmas Decorations were outstanding - we were speechless. We had a lovely conierge room and had a nice view. The concierge lounge and staff were lovely, the food choice and quality was wonderful in the lounge and even with one tiny problem the CM's were ready to assist. As you can see below my Username - we are now WL Vet's! Our 4 year old DS also loved the resort and especially the atmosphere.
Our initial worry about staying here was the transportation to and from the resort to the parks, but (even in Peak season) the transportation was brilliant and extremely efficient. IMO WL is a wonderful, brilliant value resort and we would never hesitate in staying here again. (I think it's time to change our booking for 2004 ;) )

Polynesian:
We liked the Polynesian, but not half as much as the WL. For the price we really felt like going back to the WL, We were a little dissapointed with the decorations and atmosphere here at Christmas Time, but that was to be expected I suppose. Again, The CM's were very efficient and friendly and the concierge lounge served delicious food and the CM's were excellent. We had a lovely room which was very near the beach in the Hawaii Longhouse. This resort was lovely, but after staying at the WL really it did not live up to that standard in our opinion, especially at Christmas. However, if we were to visit again in the summer I think that the Polynesian would still be a possibility. We still enjoyed our stay here, but prefered the WL.

Sorry it is brief, If you have any questions I would be happy to try and help :)

Richard.

I can understand that. One of the best things about the Polynesian is what is outside the rooms and when it is not warm out it is hard to enjoy the beach and the gardens as much as if it were July.

We felt the same way in July visiting the WL and having the fire going when it was 98 deg out.

I would imagine the WL is more the atmosphere for Christmas time also.

Thanks for the report.

Aloha

Steve

Thanks for the review. :) I have to agree that the holiday decorations at the WL are wonderful. It is a perfect resort to spend a "holiday" vacation!

We are considering a first time stay at the WL this coming Winter (maybe December or Jan) so glad to hear you liked the theming for the holidays. Were you able to go swimming at all? I assume your 4 yr old wanted to! My son will be 6 then and this is a big consideration for us. I know the weather that time of year can be in the 70's and sunny or 40's and freezing! We'd also be staying in a standard size room. One thing I didn't like about the PO was the size of the room so hoping the WL would be a bit bigger. Any thoughts on the Contemporary vs. WL? I've always wanted to stay at the Cont. since I was a little kid (I don't know why - just thought it was cool).

Happy new year!
Carol

Thanks for the reviews!

I agree with you about WL -- my DW and I love that resort and everything about it. What I love most is being "at" Disney but feeling like you are miles away at the same time. Glad you enjoyed your stay.

We've never stayed at the Poly... from what I gather each resort has its own fan club and those who'd rather stay elsewhere. That's why I love WDW -- there seems to be something for everyone!

Glad you had such a nice trip!! :) I agree I love the WL!! It is one of my favorites!! :)

I agree with Tikiman. WL is more of a Winter resort than a summer one.
I would only stay there in the Winter as I would miss the palm trees.
For a Summer stay I would go with the Polynesian:smooth:

We stayed at the Polynesian in January of 2000...and we're staying at the Wilderness Lodge in a week.

I'll let you know which one I like more for this time of year!

Hi there...

Tell me a little more about the WL concierge lounge.... I hear it is set up by the elevators on the 7th floor? Is there seating areas and a TV playing movies?

What kind of food did they have for evening offerings?

Also in regards to Poly - did you hear anything about the Hawaii building closing for rennovations soon?

Thanx for you help - so glad you had a nice holiday...

The WL Concierge isn't right off the elevators-well the concierge desk is but the "lounge" is the area on the 7th floor that overlooks the lobby and there are various chairs, tables and couches.

They did not have a tv playing movies when we were there. They had Lincoln Logs and such to play with.

We really enjoyed getting our food and then sitting on the couch at the end of the hallway for a while. It was kind of high up for me but I got over it.

At the time we stayed there I did not know that they would get you something if you wanted it and it wasn't out. In the afternoons they had lemonade, etc. but a lot of people said if you wanted something else they would get it for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter