Over 3,500 people quarantined on Diamond Princess cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennywood

Kennywood
Over 3,500 people quarantined on Diamond Princess cruise after guest tests positive for coronavirus
by Hannah Yasharoff

Princess Cruises is working with Japanese health officials after confirming the quarantine of one of its ships carrying more than 3,500 people after news one of its passengers tested positive for coronavirus.

A guest who hailed from Hong Kong disembarked Jan. 25 from the Diamond Princess while the ship docked in Hong Kong to visit a local hospital, where he was diagnosed with coronavirus.

"While on the ship he did not visit the ship’s medical center to report any symptoms or illness," according to a news release. "The hospital reports that he is in stable condition and the family members traveling with him remain symptom-free."

The cruise, which departed Jan. 20 from Yokohama, Japan, was scheduled to return Tuesday. Local health officials are reviewing the 2,666 guests and 1,045 crew members on board for symptoms.

As of Tuesday, the outbreak has infected over 20,000 people and killed more than 400, most of them in China.

The U.S. State Department late Thursday elevated its China travel advisory to level 4, recommending that Americans do not travel there. That change followed the World Health Organization's declaration of a global health emergency over coronavirus.

The Trump administration followed suit Friday and declared the coronavirus to be a public health emergency in the United States.

And for the first time in a half-century, U.S. health officials have issued a federal quarantine order, compelling 195 Americans evacuated from China to remain at an air base in California for 14 days.

What other travel precautions have been taken?

All three U.S. commercial airlines that serve China announced Friday they would temporarily halt all of their flights to and from mainland China. American is suspending flights immediately through March 28; Delta said it would suspend its U.S.-China flights from Feb. 6 through April 30; United is canceling flights from Feb. 6 until March 28, though the carrier said it would continue to operate one daily flight from San Francisco to Hong Kong. Nearly a dozen international carriers have also suspended service to China.

Cruise lines have begun to skip China port calls, step up screening measures, cancel sailings and even quarantined an entire ship for what turned out to be a case of the flu. On Thursday, the trade group Cruise Lines International Association pledged that its members will deny boarding to anyone who has traveled through mainland China in the past two weeks, in addition to other precautions.

Chinese authorities have suspended air, road and rail transportation in the area around Wuhan, the city where the virus was first identified, and placed restrictions on other activities throughout the country.

Source: USA Today 02-04-2020

There is now a 2nd ship, the "World Dream", that is under quarantine with 1800 people aboard. It is currently docked at Hong Kong's Kai Tak Cruise Terminal.

I'm watching the situation, hoping the virus stays relatively contained. DD15 is going on a school trip to Japan in April. Hopefully the school (or tour company) doesn't cancel it. DD really wants to go to Japan...and DH and I are going to Disney while she's away...our flight to Orlando is sold out now...not sure what we'll do if her trip doesn't happen...

As far as the original subject...I definitely feel bad for those in inside cabins, being quarantined in any small cruise cabin is bad enough, but to have no daylight... But, I do understand keeping them confined to the ships right now...

The AIDaPerla was refused entry into St Lucia also, with over 3,000 passengers on board it was refused the entry at the port on Feb 1, due to numerous passengers reporting respiratory tract infections.

I dunno how far this is going to spread, my curious nature does lead me to wonder for those passengers locked down and put into a 2 week quarantine on board the ships, who's going to pay for those extra 2 weeks on board? Will the cruise line's eat the costs or will they pass them onto the on board passengers?? Of course hopefully this would be covered by the cruise line's insurance and any travel insurance the passengers have purchased for their trip. One would hope anyway

The AIDaPerla was refused entry into St Lucia also, with over 3,000 passengers on board it was refused the entry at the port on Feb 1, due to numerous passengers reporting respiratory tract infections.

I dunno how far this is going to spread, my curious nature does lead me to wonder for those passengers locked down and put into a 2 week quarantine on board the ships, who's going to pay for those extra 2 weeks on board? Will the cruise line's eat the costs or will they pass them onto the on board passengers?? Of course hopefully this would be covered by the cruise line's insurance and any travel insurance the passengers have purchased for their trip. One would hope anyway
Except usually you get insurance to cover the length of your trip, not 2 weeks longer than anticipated. :(

Not likely the cruise company is making guests pay, as there is no way to “decline” since you can't get off. I would expect all animations/shows to be cancelled, perhaps the pools to be closed, and maybe the restaurants run with minimum food.

Maybe the bars/upscale restaurants/shops are business as usual.

Not likely the cruise company is making guests pay, as there is no way to “decline” since you can't get off. I would expect all animations/shows to be cancelled, perhaps the pools to be closed, and maybe the restaurants run with minimum food.

Maybe the bars/upscale restaurants/shops are business as usual.

I just read that they are locked up in their rooms.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/quara...-hell-thanks-to-coronavirus-outbreak?ref=home
“I signed up for an adventure, and I’m getting an adventure,” she told KIRO 7 news channel via a FaceTime chat in which she explained that the crew told them they cannot even open their door unless someone brings them food. “I don’t have a window and I don’t have a balcony, so it could get a little tight in here.”

I've also heard that the one ship that was denied port entry is having some fresh water issues and people are being told to ration their flushes. I guess not all ships distill their own fresh water on board like DCL does?

Last edited:
I've also heard that the one ship that was denied port entry is having some fresh water issues and people are being told to ration their flushes. I guess not all ships distill their own fresh water on board like DCL does?

THey probably do but international and port regulations prohibit them from taking in sea water to desalinate within some X kilometers of shore, therefore while in port they can't desalinate the sea water becuase they cannot bring in the sea water to do so.

The Diamond Princess had to go out to sea for a while to bring in sea water for desalination and some other maintenance issues (ballast, other stuff) that can only be done at sea. The ship then returned to the harbour.

While I understand the emergency about this virus. I feel its all a little out of control. Its not a deadly virus, only dangerous to those with underlining issues. What about the flu or like say dengue?
I do believe that the spread will continue. What do you guys think?

Except usually you get insurance to cover the length of your trip, not 2 weeks longer than anticipated. :(

Trip interruption insurance usually has provisions for automatically extending the insurance when the trip is interrupted. Quarantine is usually in there along with hijacking as a qualified reason, although "epidemic or pandemic" can also be an excluded reason, along with war, terrorism, etc. Important to read one's policy.

For example, this is the Trip Delay provision in DCL's Vacation Protection Plan for non-US guests; bold aded by me.

TRIP DELAYIf You are delayed while en route to, during or returning from Your Trip due to a covered Travel Hazard, We will reimburse You up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits, for the expenses You incur for Your Additional Transportation Cost to join the departed Trip,Your prepaid expenses for the unused land or water Travel Arrangements,and/oradditional hotel nights, meals, telephone calls and economytransportation while You are delayed.

For the purposes of this benefit: “Travel Hazard”means delay caused by or resulting from:
a) any delay of a Common Carrier (the delay must be documented by the Common Carrier);
b) a traffic accident in which You or Your Traveling Companion are directly involved while en route to departure (must be substantiated by a police report);
c) Your or Your Traveling Companion’s lost or stolen passports, travel documents or money (must be substantiated by a police report);
d) quarantine, hijacking, Strike, Natural Disaster, or riot.
Trip Delay Benefits will not be paid for: 1) any expenses which have been reimbursed;or 2) for any services that have been provided, by a Common Carrier or travel services provider.

END QUITE

and from the trip interruption section [bold added]:

Trip Interruption must be due to one of the following reasons:
1.Your, a Family Member’s, a Traveling Companion’s orTraveling Companion’s FamilyMember’sdeath, which occurs while You are on Your Trip; or
2.Your, a Family Member’s, a Traveling Companion’s orTraveling Companion’s FamilyMember’scovered Sickness or Injury which: a) occurs while You are on Your Trip, b) requires Medical Treatment at the time of interruption; and c) as certified by a Physician, results in medical restrictions so disabling as to prevent Your continued participation on the Trip; or
3.for Other Covered Events as defined;provided any such covered reason occurs whilecoverage is in effect for You.

“Other Covered Events” means:a.You or Your Traveling Companionbeing hijacked, quarantined, required to serve on a jury (notice of jury duty must be received after Your Effective Date), served with a court order to appear as a witness in a legal action in which You or Your TravelingCompanion is not a party (except law enforcement officers);

END QUOTE

A policy that is specific for travel emergency medical insurance tends not to have the same wordings, so you have to read the policy regarding if it can be extended for the reason of quarantine of the insured or their traveling companion, and for how long that extension can be.

Here is an article on travel insurance and coronavirus coverage: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/epidemic-not-covered-travel-insurance/

SW

the cruise line is paying for everything as well as providing the passengers with free internet and telephone use.
Also, the 2 cruises that were cancelled (the cruises after the quarantined cruise), the passengers are getting a full refund on their cruise plus a 100% discount on their next cruise.

While I understand the emergency about this virus. I feel its all a little out of control. Its not a deadly virus, only dangerous to those with underlining issues. What about the flu or like say dengue?

this is an interesting aritcle on the subject.
it discusses three different scenarios:
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/1/31/21115109/coronavirus-outbreak-end-sars-comparison

How does a quarantine work? Person A has the virus. 2 week quarantine. What happens if on day 8 someone else comes down with the virus? Does the clock start again?

We care about influenza and dengue, its just that we have seen them and know how to fight treat them. Wuhan sparks fear because we don’t know anything about it and the world really doesn’t trust China to be forthright because, they haven’t been in the past about novel disease arising in their country, and they haven’t been this time either. Even Russia, China’s closest ally, doesn’t trust China’s intel on the disease. So the mistrust and unknowns are really driving fear and the fear is driving clicks, which in turn drive reporting on all the negative aspects, which rarely discuss how mild this disease is for most people and the recovery rate, expectancy, etc, just more dark stuff.

The press is capitalizing on the dark parts of human nature; the government’s are reacting to the dark parts of human nature.Vicious cycle.

I saw an article yesterday questioning the numbers put out by the Chinese government. If the numbers the article quoted are correct, it is a much, much worse outbreak and the death rate is much higher. It is scary because it doesn’t appear to be slowing down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter