Overwhelmed and needing help

dis newbie

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone
I'm hoping to book our very first Disney World holiday fm Australia. I'm not sure where to start. I'm hoping to get some help???

It seems that we can book directly through Disney , but get tickets through resellers? I'm worried this is dodgy. How do you know the sites are legitimate? It also seems you can book through a UK site? Paying with euros because it's cheaper?
I'm soooo confused!
budget is absolutely an issue for us, so if there are cheaper options available we'd like to be able to use them . Also are there any recommendations re booking Disney(or other ?) accommodation? Are there any special deals that come up that make buying tickets / accommodation cheaper? I've seen 10 and 14 day tickets mentioned. Are these available to Australians in 2023?

I have tried to find the info on these forums, but would really appreciate any help you all could give? Thanks in advance

OK yes it’s more complicated than it needs to be but plenty of people here to help you.
First thing have a look at the WDW info website that sponsors these boards. Lots of good information and tips to find there. Also have a look at the Mousesavers Website, a very good source of Disney discounts and other info.

So now you’ve read all that 😁 I’ll start with tickets. As an Aussie, you have access to the US based 1 to 10 day tickets or the UK based 7 and 14 day tickets. The US tickets can be purchased as 1 park per day or parkhoppers where you can visit multiple parks on the same day. Adding the parkhopper option is a one off cost for the duration of the ticket. The UK tickets already include park hopping and also include Memory Maker which gives you digital downloads of photos taken by cast members or on the rides. Even without these extra benefits they are much cheaper per day than the US based tickets. The break even is roughly a 6 or 7 day US based parkhopper will be about the same as a 14 day UK based ticket. Hard to believe but true, Disney encourages overseas visitors to visit for longer therefore spend more money on meals, souvenirs and experiences. For US based tickets, Undercover Tourist are a very reliable reseller as well but if you’re there for a couple of weeks, the UK based tickets are still much better value.

Same goes for Universal. The US based tickets go from 1-5 days, the UK tickets are 14 days and park to park. The break even here is only about a 3 day US based ticket. Sometimes Universal sell 3 days for the price of 2 or even 5 days for the price of 2 or 3 so the advantage of the UK based tickets for Universal diminish. Undercover Tourist are a good source for US based Universal tickets as well. But having 14 days is very nice, means you can just spend a morning or afternoon at the parks and still have plenty of days left.

Youu can absolutely buy these tickets, just not through the Disney or Universal websites, you use a reputable ticket reseller of which there are plenty. Orlando Attraction Tickets, American Attractions, Floridatix and Attractions Direct and others. Plenty here, including yours truly, have used these ticket resellers with no issues. They are just not allowed to sell to people with a US address as Disney want to sell them the 1-10 day tickets or annual passes.

Nice thing about thicket resellers is most have very good refund policies in place whereas Disney does not.

As for Hotels around Disney, you need to decide between onsite or offsite. Deluxe, moderate or value. That really comes down to budget but staying onsite has the benefits of REGULAR Disney transportation (I can’t stress the REGULAR bit enough), early entry (30 mins) into the theme parks, the ability to select paid Lightning Lanes (for a shorter line at a small number of rides) before offsite guests and other benefits. Deluxe Disney Hotels also offer extended evening hours at the theme parks on a rotating basis but those hotels are very very expensive.

So you mentioned you’re on a budget and there are a few options. Staying offsite will save money but some of that will be lost to Uber and Lyft. Some offsite properties have shuttles to the parks but they are not at all regular and don’t often work well for rope dropping the parks (getting there before opening) or late night stays. You can also get a Villa and some love doing that but it’s not for me. If that’s an option you’re interested in, ask here or on the main WDW forum. Another option is affiliated hotels that include most of the benefits of onsite hotels. These are the Disney Springs Hotels plus the Swan and Dolphin Hotels. They are usually much better value than the Onsite Hotels. The final option is to rent DVC points through a broker. This is an absolutely legit practice which will get you a deluxe Disney property for the price of a moderate. Still expensive but maybe you spoil yourself for 2-3 nights. DVC Rental Store are one of the larger points brokers as are David’s Vacation Club.

it’s a similar story for Universal hotels but their onsite offerings are much better value (probably half the price of Disney onsite on a like for like basis). The other nice thing is the 3 premier Universal Hotels include unlimited express passes from the day you check in to the day you check out. Express passes are expensive so this is an excellent perk well beyond anything Disney offer and the hotels are still much cheaper than Disney onsite.

if you’re there for a couple of weeks, a split stay between Disney and Universal is worthwhile HOWEVER, adding another set of parks (ie Universal) will add significantly to the cost as you’d have to buy 2 sets of tickets so you need to be comfortable with what you’re spending. If budget is a consideration then I’d definitely recommend sourcing tickets, hotels and airfares yourself rather than getting a package. People like the packages for convenience but I’m yet to be convinced they are competitive compared to getting everything separately. If you want a Disney hotel, for sure go through Disney but get your tickets elsewhere.

Also remember if you do get a Disney hotel and they offer a discount in the future, you can always ring them to see if they can apply that discount to your existing reservation.

So I’ll stop going on now. Ask any questions you need to and don’t get overwhelmed, the planning can be fun especially when you lob in Orlando and find out you’ve planned everything so well you are a Disney Pro 😁

When you are looking at accommodation have a look at Drury inn at Disney Springs. It is not a Disney property hotel but it’s a partner hotel. Which means you get many of the perks of a Disney hotel. The benefit of this hotel is breakfast is included and an evening snack. Depending on the ages of your group and needs you can often use this snack as dinner. You can also look at flamingo crossing for hotels. These hotels offer you more space and some have small kitchens. Many of them also offer breakfast. Some offer shuttles like some Disney springs hotels. You need to look at the cost benefit and compare the cost of breakfast and sometimes evening snacks and the price of an Uber if the shuttles dont work for you.
Our most recent trip was Nov/dec 2022 so about 6 months ago. One thing that surprised me compared to previous trips was the increase in the cost of food especially at the parks. Look up online the menus and costs of food in the parks and do your currency conversions. We found that many of the food places at the hotels were expensive for the quality that you got. I’m referring to food court ideas at places such as Art of Animation. Remember that you can get takeaway delivered to you hotel which works our cheaper than the food courts and you can also get groceries delivery.

Great advice so far. One additional tip - if you’re buying US based tickets, pay attention to your start and end dates. Multi-day ticket pricing is based on the start day of the ticket, but the start day of the ticket does not have to be the first day you use it. Then end date does have to cover the last day you visit the park.

So if you’re getting to the park on Saturday and staying through Wednesday, you’ll buy a 5 day ticket. Instead of using Saturday as your start day, check on the price with your ticket starting Thursday. The last day of the ticket will still cover Wednesday, but your ticket price will be based on the Thursday start instead of Saturday.

Didn’t remember to do this for our upcoming September trip and it added about $80 to our ticket cost ($26 each). I did remember for our Universal trip, and we saved $90 for our 2 day tickets.

Not sure if this would apply to the UK tickets as well.

Look up online the menus and costs of food in the parks and do your currency conversions.
Also don't forget to add taxes and tips to the cost of any menu items you see (and any other experiences/items you might want to purchase as well). I'd forgotten to do that on my first trip and it destroyed my budget!

I don't really have anything to add on WDW specifically as I'm currently planning my first trip there too. Have been to the US a few times and the other Disney parks though. WDW is the last, partly because the planning always seems so overwhelming! We can do it though :cheer2:

Hi again. This is my first time using a forum like this, and I'm so blown away by the help some of you have already given. Thank you so much for your time and expertise! I really am grateful! And a lot less confused! I still have questions though, but am grateful that you don't seem to mind helping at all.

We're looking at tickets for now though. I researched some of the resellers. Floridatix though says you need a UK address and bank account to buy from them . Is this the same for all the UK ticket resellers? If so, how do you buy the UK tickets from Australia?
Are the 14 day UK tickets available all year, or just at times? ( I saw them on floridatix for 535 pounds, does that sound like the norm or a deal? ).

Re Disney hotels. Do the prices for the hotels stay the same or do they go up as the year goes on? I know it was mentioned that if you book , then a special offer comes up you can ring and ask that the offer be applied to your booking. Would that definitely happen? ( I'm impressed if they do do that!) or should you hold out for offers. We'll be going in January, so it's still a way off.

Also , how long would you recommend spending at Universal. We have a 15 year old and a six year old.

Thankyou again, so much for your help!

In regards to tickets, attractiontickets .com is highly recommended, they’ve opened a site for Australians as well so you can purchase in AUD if that’s preferred. I’ve used them for my past 2 trips and they’re very reasonably priced with memory maker and park hopper included. They also have special offers that you can keep an eye out for

When I’ve purchased tickets from Orlando Attraction Tickets I was able to change the country and enter my Australian address. Just try them or some of the others or google “14 day WDW tickets”. The price for tickets will usually be valid for the year. The prices for 2024 would already have been released.

Prices for Disney hotels can fluctuate daily. As for applying discounts, they will do it IF THERE ARE AVAILABLE ROOMS at the discounted price. They fill up quickly at times so you need to be quick yourself. TBH renting points or using the partner hotels (Disney Springs Hotels, Swan Dolphin etc) is the best way to secure a good deal as even discounted prices at Disney will be more costly for a lesser hotel.

As for Universal, we actually prefer onsite there and have happily spent a week but it’s up to you. Your older child will probably love it but there’s not a lot for the younger child to do, big rides an roller coasters.

I suggest that you use a U.S. Disney travel agent to book your WDW hotel. Dreams Unlimited or Small World Vacations or Touring Plans. I use Marion at SWV and she is first class. Just e mail them and tell them what you are looking for and they will find you the best hotel deal and also apply any discounts that are released. It avoids you having to look out for discounts and spending hours on international calls to WDW.

Universal I would book direct on the hotel website. Don’t book a package as this may work out more expensive that buying an hotel room and tickets separately.

I was advised by UOR that the disadvantage of not buying tickets direct from UOR is that if you lose your ticket (s), UOR cannot replace them, because they have no record of the purchase.

I would also invest in a copy of the Touring Plans’ Unofficial Guides and as it is your first trip join TPs and follow their plans. They work brilliantly. I am assuming the books can be purchased in Australia @lentesta ?

I suggest that you use a U.S. Disney travel agent to book your WDW hotel. Dreams Unlimited or Small World Vacations or Touring Plans. I use Marion at SWV and she is first class. Just e mail them and tell them what you are looking for and they will find you the best hotel deal and also apply any discounts that are released. It avoids you having to look out for discounts and spending hours on international calls to WDW.

Universal I would book direct on the hotel website. Don’t book a package as this may work out more expensive that buying an hotel room and tickets separately.

I was advised by UOR that the disadvantage of not buying tickets direct from UOR is that if you lose your ticket (s), UOR cannot replace them, because they have no record of the purchase.

I would also invest in a copy of the Touring Plans’ Unofficial Guides and as it is your first trip join TPs and follow their plans. They work brilliantly. I am assuming the books can be purchased in Australia @lentesta ?

Thanks @Jangles!

@dis newbie - Happy to help if I can. I co-author the Unofficial Guide to WDW and my email is len at touringplans dot com. If the book isn't available on your side of the world, I'm happy to send a PDF.

Hi I have booked the whole trip from the Disney UK website resort and tickets with $2000 free dining credit the promotion is still on. I have just gone on my card setting and added a UK address.
They don't send anything to that address anyway. And it worked!
It saved me quite a bit we are staying 14 days last time we went we stayed 21.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter