Overwhelmed, could someone plz help?

o2go2disny

Earning My Ears
We just decided this weekend to go to WDW. It has been 8 yrs since we were there. Last time we went we really had no clue what we were doing & it is starting to feel that way with this trip. We would like to go 4-30-05/5-7-05 or 5-6/5-14. So getting things done are going to be rushed, Do you think that is enough time? How long does it take to get tickets through the mail?
There are so many hotel options it is very overwhelming. We know we want to stay outside the park because we will be driving our own vehicle (i'm terrified to fly) We really don't have to have anyplace fancy but I don't want to stay in a dump either. I figure we are only going to be sleeping there, but a nice pool would be good for the evenings. Any suggestions would be of great help.
There are 5 of us, My husband, myself & our 3 girls 15,12, & 9. We know for sure that we want to go to WDW for 3 days & SW for 1. Does anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone know of a website that gives reviews on the hotels? Should we stay in Orlando, Lake Buena Vista, etc?
Sorry for all of the ?'s but I am really stressing here ! ! If anyone could give any advice or suggestions I would be very greatful.
Thanks to you all, I am so glad I found this website.

If you want to stay off property I recommend the Holiday Inn Nikki Bird its litarally right outside the gates. It has a pool and a hot tub and great rooms. Its a decent price too. I stayed there last time I went and it was fun. They also have an all-you-can-eat seafood buffet attatched called Angels, very good food.

I know you said you wanted to stay offsite, but I highly recommend staying in the park even if you are only going to the parks for three days. It's so much better when you're inside compared to outside. It may be a little more pricey but it makes the trip much more of an event. Try port orleans for a family of 5. Have fun and enjoy!

Staying on grounds really helps you to maximize your time because you are closer. Also guest services can help you too> Using the buses is a great option to get to the parks, and if you want to drive you can park at the parks for free if you are staying on grounds. There is also Extra Magic Hours for guest onsite.

My suggestion would be to seriously consider staying onsite. First off, it adds sooooo much to the disney "magic". Secondly, you can take advantage of Extra Magic Hours in the evenings & mornings-these are only available to on site guests. You may want to look into staying at a value resort(All-Star Music,Sports & Movies or Pop Century Resort) with 2 connecting rooms. Each room at a value only sleeps 4. Take a look at allearsnet.com for discount, & codes. Sometimes the on site Value resorts are the same or cheaper than off site hotels. There's been many threads on this board regarding staying off site vs on site. I think you'll find the majority preferring to stay onsite.

Since you're planning on staying 8 nights, I would highly recommend at least 4 days for the parks. Even that's cutting it short, but it's much better than just 3 days. IMHO, 3 days is just not enough time for 4 parks.

Welcome!! Check out this site, ask questions, look at others' opinions, you'll learn a lot from this board.

Welcome to the DIS :wave:

I suggest you split your questions up and ask them on the relevent boards to get the best advice :)

Sorry about that, I didn't realize. I was just so excited when I found somewhere I could ask my questions :blush: :blush:
Thank you for all of the helpful info so far. I am going to try to find somewhere onsite, if it's not to late. I'm not sure my 15yo would enjoy staying at any of the value resorts. How about POR ?
Thanks again for all of you help! !

The benefit of POR is it is the only moderately priced resort that can sleep 5. All the value resorts can only sleep 4 and all the other moderates as well. We are also a family of 5 and I can understand the financial hardship of 3 children :)
We have not been yet, so I cannot rate the hotel personally, but have seen mostly good reviews and it would be cheaper than the 2 rooms you would require at the value resorts! Good Luck and depending on your date of travel, I would be glad to let you know how our experience was. We will be going the 2nd week in June.

Check out the orlando hotels and attrations forum. There was recently a post on staying off-site vs on-site. Many people choose to stay offsite and find nothing lacking in their Disney Vacation. That will be the best forum for advice. Also check out mousesavers she has a few offsite hotels that she recommends and the prices are good too. some with free breakfast. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Deb

I found a website called tripadvisor that I found to be very helpfull. As for tickets, did you check out your local AAA for prices?

o2go2disny said:
We know we want to stay outside the park because we will be driving our own vehicle (i'm terrified to fly)

Very off-topic, but could you share why you are terrified to fly? If it's because you're afraid of heights I can't help, but if it's because you're afraid of a plane crash I can probably help you in 50 words or less. I won't be citing statistics about safety, and I won't be joking. It's a kind of spiritual way of looking at it. Please let me know -- I'd love to share but I don't want to be pushy (yeh, like I'm not being pushy already :rolleyes: ).

-- Eric :earsboy:

Eric-
I am not afraid of heights, I have flown many times before, once with all of my children. My problem is that since 9-11 I wonder what is going on in our world & what they are really doing to protect us. For that matter, even if a plane were just to crash. I have this fear of having to look over at my children & looking into their eyes & knowing that "I" put that fear there. They didn't ask for that. I know it probably sounds crazy but that's just the way I feel. I know that when it is our time to go, it is our time. But like I said, I just can't do that to my kids.

Hi

Offsite you will have more room. Onsite you can take breaks , but you may not have to because of the ages of your girls.

The kickoff for celebration is May 5th. I think Epcot will close early that day,( or is it May 4th?). So be sure to read all you can about what's happening during that time. Check out www.allearsnet.com if you haven't yet. It may be more busy in May than normal this year.

There is no way you will experience WDW is 3 days, so just decide ahead of time what you want to see for sure.

Most of us here love to plan, so please ask as many questions as you want.

Have a great time. :earsgirl: :earsgirl:

Susan

I'm sorry that 9-11 has been that fright into you. My husband is in the military and has been for over 21 years now. We were just arriving to a new base the morning of 9-11. Since he is in the military we fly alot. We also travel quite a bit. We vowed not to let those who use violence and hate stop us from our normal everyday lives. That is their plan!! They want us to live in fear! We refuse to do that!!! Being a military wife, I've put my faith into our country and our military. Just my opinion! :goodvibes

We are planning on Sunday 5-1 through Wed. 5-4 for WDW so that we can do all of the parks. Then we will go to Sea World on Thurs. & the beach on Friday & have Sat. as a free day. We have res. at the POR for sun-wed & the remainder at Buena Vista Suites. I found a book at barnes & noble yesterday that is helping with info on what to ride & what not to as far as age wise for our girls. It doesn't look like much is there for them at the MK but we will see. Does anyone know how long it takes to get tickets? I haven't ordered yet & am wondering if we should wait to get them at the motel or at the gates ! ? ! ? (It is only 23 business days til we leave as far as receiving mail.)

o2go2disny said:
Eric-
I am not afraid of heights, I have flown many times before, once with all of my children. My problem is that since 9-11 I wonder what is going on in our world & what they are really doing to protect us. For that matter, even if a plane were just to crash. I have this fear of having to look over at my children & looking into their eyes & knowing that "I" put that fear there. They didn't ask for that. I know it probably sounds crazy but that's just the way I feel. I know that when it is our time to go, it is our time. But like I said, I just can't do that to my kids.

If you're religious, you believe God is all-powerful. If He's so all-powerful, He doesn't need a spectacular event like a plane crash to take your life. If you're not religious, I'd fall back on statistics -- 50,000 die in car accidents annually. I love flying, I hate driving to the airport!

-- Eric :earsboy:

P.S. -- I agree with another poster who said that the aim of the terrorists is not to kill us but to change our American way of life, and to take the joy out of our lives, to make us terrified. If we let them do that, they win. I'm taking my 2 pre-schoolers on their first airplane ride 5 weeks from now, so I'm not just talking theoretically here.

We all believin in God & all are christians, that's not what worries me. It's just seeing the fear in their eyes. I know what you mean about they are achieving what they set out to do (the terrorists). But for some reason I just can't get over that fear, but yet I don't want them to win either. I don't know what we will do. :scratchin

I agree with you and enjoy staying off site. I love the parks and hate hotel rooms. I love my children but want some privacy. We opt for rental homes. They give you room to live without being on top of each other. They give you the option of eating in every morning while some are getting ready. The pools are always open because they are in your back yard. I just will never do another hotel again. Here is a site you can check out for homes if you are interested.
http://emeraldislandvillarentals.com
My daughter does not like flying. She hates take off and loveszs when we land. I hope it does not become a problem that we can't handle. We all love Florida so much! You mentioned SW for a day my kids loved SW. If you have a Dstore near you can you get the tickets there? Thats what we always did. I have to say we have not been in 9 months maybe things have changed since they revamped? Have a wonderful trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter