packet pick up policy and minors

VAfamily1998

DIS Veteran
I know the new packet pick up policy is that everyone must pick up their own packet. I read somewhere that kids are exempt from this--that parents can pick up their kids' packets. Does anyone know if this is only true for the "Kids races" or if a minor (age 15) is running a half marathon, can parents still pick up on their behalf?
Thanks. :)

This is asked so often, and no one ever calls and then comes back to answer. :)

From the DLR Half page: "Parents or legal guardians must download and complete the personalized race waiver for minors and pick up their packet."

From the Tinkerbell page: "A parent or legal guardian must complete and sign the waiver for any participant under 18 years old. No exceptions will be made"

From Wine&Dine: "Parents or legal guardians must download and complete the personalized race waiver for minors and pick up their packet."

They know that minors can run races other than just the kid's races, so I would easily assume that a parent can just pick it up. I've so far had DS with me, but they never really talk to him. I'm signing the papers for him, initialing the page saying I picked it up, etc.

Thanks...I am debating testing it out. We (my son and I) are doing W&D in the fall, and I'm trying to book our flights to maximize "Disney time" and minimize the time he misses school. I was thinking if we took separate flights, me on Friday morning, and he on Friday evening, that I could go to the expo and pick up packets early in the day on Friday, and then we'll have all day Saturday to go to parks/rest up for the race. I guess I can try it, and then if they don't let me pick it up for him, we still CAN go to the expo Saturday.

DS5 ran the 5K at Disney World. He stayed in the parks with his grandparents, while I picked up the packets. I had no trouble at all.

He also ran the 5K at Avengers in DL. He was with me to pick up packets. As bumbershoot said, they never addressed him.

It'll be a few years before I can personally test the the policy for a half marathon, but I think you'd be safe picking up for your minor son.

I was just thinking...even if they do allow it in general, I have a feeling they won't allow it for my son because he will be getting his Coast to Coast (He ran Star Wars in January) They will need him physically there to put the wrist band on, right?

I would call rundisney. They are the ones who can tell you. They can also tell you about C2C. When I got mine it was a wristband. But now I believe they've gone to a picture. If so, he would have to have the picture taken. Will he be able to attend the expo *at all*?

Just call them. Or email them. Or both.

And please let us know. :)

I would call rundisney. They are the ones who can tell you. They can also tell you about C2C. When I got mine it was a wristband. But now I believe they've gone to a picture. If so, he would have to have the picture taken. Will he be able to attend the expo *at all*?

I believe it is wristbands for coast to coast and pictures for the challenges.

It is pictures for the challenges and wrist bands for coast to coast.

Realized that at Disneyland Half last year, which was the second part of my C2C, they put that wristband on me at the Expo. Since we got there on the first day, and I was going back to San Diego until the Half, I felt a bit silly.

Either way he's likely going to have to be there. But I still say she should call. Doing a C2C is different than just a minor's packet pickup question.

Realized that at Disneyland Half last year, which was the second part of my C2C, they put that wristband on me at the Expo. Since we got there on the first day, and I was going back to San Diego until the Half, I felt a bit silly.

Either way he's likely going to have to be there. But I still say she should call. Doing a C2C is different than just a minor's packet pickup question.
Yeah, I had totally forgot he was getting coast to coast when I asked the original question. :)

Yes, he will be there all day Saturday, so he *can* attend the expo Saturday during the day. I know we will want to visit a park in the early part of the day (I think typically, it's HS with morning EMH on Saturdays?) so we can stay at a park 'till about noon then hit the tail end of the expo.

I haven't bought our plane tickets yet, but I'm thinking of taking a 5 pm flight, landing at MCO around 7 pm. I'm thinking of waiting until the school year starts in late August before buying the plane tickets-if his last classes of the day are things like PE, I don't mind pulling him out of school early to get an earlier flight. But if his last class of the day is Math or history, I want him to stay the full day. Unfortunately, we won't know until August or so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter