• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Packing tip (learned on the DIS several trips ago!)

Barb D

DIS Veteran
I'm in the middle of packing (leaving Tuesday!) and thought I'd pass along a cool packing tip I learned here on the DIS a couple of trips ago.

I pack each complete outfit for each kid in a zip-lock bag, and then squeeze the extra air out. An outfit consists of matching shirt, shorts, hair doohickies if necessary, plus underwear and socks. This way when we're getting dressed in the morning all I have to do is toss each kid a zip-lock bag and they know exactly what to put on. I put in a couple of extra sets of underwear for each kid just in case. Swim suits go in zip-lock bags, too.

My Mom used to pack that way for us when we were little. She is one of the most organized person I know. I just started packing yesterday for our trip starting next weekend and I told my husband I was going to pack clothes in zip-lock baggies as you stated. I didn't think of putting hair bows in with the clothes, that's a good idea!

Hello Everyone,
I'm new and have been lurking for a while. We are leaving for Orlando on October 12. Beginning our Disney vacation on the 15th. Whooo Hoooo!
I am going to try zip-lock bags for my children's outfits this year. It sounds like a great idea! My youngest son always wrecks his suitcase by the second day or so. Hopefully this will help.
Thanks,
Suzy

Hi Suzy - Welcome to the DIS. You'll find the ziplock bags work great and save room in your luggage. If you have more than one child, you could also write the child's name on the bag so they aren't inadvertently opening someone else's outfit. It makes getting ready each day (and taking a spare outfit in the daily backpack) must easier. Have fun.

I love that idea, and can't believe I havent heard of it before.l want to know where to find ziplock bags big enough for the outfits though. I have the freezer kind, and I thought they were the biggest ones out there, but they still look too small.

The bigger Ziploc bags are harder to find. but as the holidays approach thye usually become more available. The one place that seems to carry them year round is Walmart. They are the store brand and come in both two gallon and two and a half gallon sizes. They are great!!!

I love this idea and have done a variation of it myself.

Just a warning though that with increased airline security the chances of a hand search of your luggage has increased. The zip lock bags may increase the time and frustration it takes for an agent to complete a search - if - your bags are randomly selected. Perhaps leaving the bags unziped or just rolling the outfits together would work as well.

Anyway - your decision and have fun!

TJ

I used the zip-lock bags on our last vacation and it worked great. I was able to pack all 3 kids' outfits into one large piece of luggage!

Beth

Just back from WDW - and no problem with airport security on this one. We saw someone having the contents of her luggage inspected, and it looked to me as though the bags would have actually helped. It's pretty obvious (to me, at least!) that there are just clothes in there, and this would keep everything from getting jumbled as badly.

You cant find those big ziploc bags anywhere! I tried 2 walmarts where I live-Richmond Virginia-and no luck. I tried Kmart, other places. I ended up going to Big Lots and they had Xmas bags for gifts that were sort of ziploc, so I'll try those but what a bummer after I thought I'd get the clear, see through kind. These have Xmas decorations all over.:mad:

I have some of those HUGE bags.....2 1/2 gallon size. They are actually Hefty OneZip, not ziploc....bought them at KMart. $2.99 for a box of 14. Good luck finding them....they are great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter