Pain arguing facts with onsite only people...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have LOTS of onsite Disney stays and I appreciate the bubble folks want to be in. AND maybe because I have stayed onsite so much and eat at all the hotels, and have about half that many stays offsite, I've been able to compare. Disney hotels do not compare to their "equal" offsite in many ways, offsite deluxe will often have much nicer rooms, customer service, housekeeping, pool areas etc. SO if I'm going to book a deluxe resort ... a deluxe resort that actually feels like a deluxe resort with wonderful amenities and beautiful rooms ... I'm booking offsite and paying less .... other than a couple of wonderfully themed ones like AKL and WL.

This is GF pool ..... one of the most bland on property. Even the newer one is barely more than a moderate ... actually a couple moderates are better. The building's exterior is beautiful but they did little else to make the property special.

3f8a5d60891c85354bbc695b9129ca51.jpg

disney-s-grand-floridian.jpg

DSC01805.jpg

This is Four Seasons, often costing less or comparable to GF. Stunning inside and out with top notch amenities.

cq5dam.web.720.405.jpeg

FPO-ORL-116-1-_54_990x660.jpg

four-seasons-orlando-review-luxury-hotel-luxury-travel-mom.jpg

getImage.gif

And if you want to pay a quarter to a third of GF, try the Hilton Orlando or BC (practically on property).

HH_pool024_38_1270x560_FitToBoxSmallDimension_Center.jpg

2018discover_header_lifestyleFamily.jpg

hilton-orlando-bonnet.jpg

Then you can save even more and get a full condo for a week what one night at GF costs with a complete array of amenities and activities. I'll post just WBC because it is practically on Disney property but there are others.

wyndham-bonnet-creek-resort-pirate-ship-pool-lake-bg-960.jpg

Wyndham-Bonnet-Creek-Resort-00025.jpg

Wyndham_Bonnet_Creek_cabannas.jpg

WBC12-Copy.jpg

AGAIN, no one is right or wrong in what is of value to themselves ............. so if Disney transportation or the Dining Plan or EMH are important then that factors into your value of the price of WDW hotels. But if the amenities, the rooms and the service are more important to you then the offsite deluxe would probably be of more value to you. And that is just apples to apples.

My mantra is ...
"There is no right way or wrong way to do Disney, just what is right for you!"

Well that is not necessarily true ....

I have stayed in a 2 bedroom at Wyndham Bonnet Creek for $600 for a week more than once, and a 1 bedroom for $350 for a week more than once. WBC is practically on Disney property, security, more amenities than most Disney hotels, inside hallways with the building locked unless you have a key. Disney would charge me that much for one nice in a "deluxe" hotel. And this can be done at many nice resorts.

I have paid $700 for a week at AllStar Music .... beds so bad we rolled to middle, horrible service, police called to room down hall from me several times, room faced parking lot full of 18 wheelers, looked like a truck stop.

You have to do your homework, research resorts, research neighborhoods and know the different ways you can get discounted rooms.

I stay onsite and offsite. I know when I stay onsite I am paying highly inflated rates but for some trips that is what works. Everyone should do what is best for them and their trip but I think what OP was saying is that others were basically calling them a liar with the rates they were quoting. You absolutely can get great deals at very nice resorts, that is a fact .... that was all OP was trying to say.

I really like the beds at WBC. And I’m picky about beds. I have to have a comfy bed! lol!

I really like the beds at WBC. And I’m picky about beds. I have to have a comfy bed! lol!

If I had to stay at the same hotel every single trip of ALL the places I have stayed ... it would be WBC.

One trip just DS1 and I, he had a "medical issue" which kept us in the condo for three days straight. I loved just sitting on the balcony looking out on DHS. It's a vacation in a vacation.

I have LOTS of onsite Disney stays and I appreciate the bubble folks want to be in. AND maybe because I have stayed onsite so much and eat at all the hotels, and have about half that many stays offsite, I've been able to compare. Disney hotels do not compare to their "equal" offsite in many ways, offsite deluxe will often have much nicer rooms, customer service, housekeeping, pool areas etc. SO if I'm going to book a deluxe resort ... a deluxe resort that actually feels like a deluxe resort with wonderful amenities and beautiful rooms ... I'm booking offsite and paying less .... other than a couple of wonderfully themed ones like AKL and WL.

This is GF pool ..... one of the most bland on property. Even the newer one is barely more than a moderate ... actually a couple moderates are better. The building's exterior is beautiful but they did little else to make the property special.

3f8a5d60891c85354bbc695b9129ca51.jpg

disney-s-grand-floridian.jpg

DSC01805.jpg

This is Four Seasons, often costing less or comparable to GF. Stunning inside and out with top notch amenities.

cq5dam.web.720.405.jpeg

FPO-ORL-116-1-_54_990x660.jpg

four-seasons-orlando-review-luxury-hotel-luxury-travel-mom.jpg

getImage.gif

And if you want to pay a quarter to a third of GF, try the Hilton Orlando or BC (practically on property).

HH_pool024_38_1270x560_FitToBoxSmallDimension_Center.jpg

2018discover_header_lifestyleFamily.jpg

hilton-orlando-bonnet.jpg

Then you can save even more and get a full condo for a week what one night at GF costs with a complete array of amenities and activities. I'll post just WBC because it is practically on Disney property but there are others.

wyndham-bonnet-creek-resort-pirate-ship-pool-lake-bg-960.jpg

Wyndham-Bonnet-Creek-Resort-00025.jpg

Wyndham_Bonnet_Creek_cabannas.jpg

WBC12-Copy.jpg

AGAIN, no one is right or wrong in what is of value to themselves ............. so if Disney transportation or the Dining Plan or EMH are important then that factors into your value of the price of WDW hotels. But if the amenities, the rooms and the service are more important to you then the offsite deluxe would probably be of more value to you. And that is just apples to apples...
Grand Floridian can almost always be reserved from WDW at a discounted rate that is hundreds less than Four Seasons, so that is not an apples to apples comparison.

Stormalong Bay at Yacht & Beach Club can be accessed via rooms that are half the cost of Four Seasons, and not only do Y&B give you walking distance to Epcot & HS, they also provide immediate access to character dining, some of the best signature dining on property (Yachtsman), and a well-themed ice cream parlor.

Animal Kingdom Lodge can be had for the price of little over a moderate, and its theming is something you can't get at any other hotel on Earth.

So no, I can't agree that offsite is better or even a better value.

Last edited:
Psst... me too!

Tough call as I LOVE AKL and WL for the imagineering and other things .... but never feel we are able to get away from people, the pool crowds etc. WBC allows for relaxation while being minutes from the parks.

Grand Floridian can almost always be reserved from WDW at a discounted rate that is hundreds less than Four Seasons, so that is not an apples to apples comparison.

Stormalong Bay at Yacht & Beach Club can be accessed via rooms that are half the cost of Four Seasons, and not only do Y&B give you walking distance to Epcot & HS, they also provide immediate access to character dining, some if the best signature dining on property (Yachtsman), and a wonderfully-themed ice cream parlor.

Animal Kingdom Lodge can be had for the price of little over a moderate, and it's theming is something you can't get at any other hotel on Earth.

So no, I can't agree that offsite is better or even a better value.

Well ... no long message, just lots of disagreement.

Other than the AKL (and I already stated that earlier).

And again, VALUE is what each of us perceive.

OP and my post went to facts of $$$ gets me XXX at Disney and XXXX offsite at SOME locations.

For me...personally, I wouldn't want to stay at a site that only charged $550 for the week. That sounds like a dumpy place and not quality mattresses, surroundings, safety etc.
I won't get into the whole onsite/offsite debate as that's pointless but I would just comment on this. In the Disney area especially, you can't judge quality based on price alone. There are so many wonderful places to stay and so very much competition that you can get very good quality, amenities, and safety at a great price. There is a house we rent nearby that we pay $68/night for. It is a 3-bedroom, 3-bath townhouse with beautiful furnishings, comfortable beds, big screen TVs, full kitchen, washer/dryer, and loads of other niceties. With taxes and stuff, it comes in right around that $550/week mark. It is a gated secure community. You have reserved parking right in front of your door. And it is a 10-minute drive to Animal Kingdom, the closest park. So don't decide an offsite place is "dumpy" just because it's super affordable. It just doesn't work that way.

I enjoy the superior value and quality of my offsite resort, but I prefer to let the Disney folks do their thing. Helps keep my resort affordable and accessible.

Whats affordable to one person isn't to another. I'm paying $4200 for 9 nights at a Value for 4 adults, 10 day park hoppers and regular dining plan. I'd love to see any offsite deal touch that (With equivalent food since DDP isn't available off-site). Offsite may also require expense of airport transfer or rental car and parking fees.

I hope I'm not putting words into OP's mouth, but I think the point is that the ACCOMMODATIONS are equivalent. Not that the perks or locations are necessarily the same. I don't think anyone is saying that driving over from WBC is the same experience as staying on the monorail line, but that some offsite resorts compare favorably to the Disney resorts themselves.

It's totally valid to value proximity, and pay for it. But I think OP's point is that the location within the "bubble" is what you're paying for compared with some of the nearby resorts (who have arguably put in a lot of effort to make their properties extra nice in order to compete with the advantage of proximity that Disney hotels enjoy by default).

Hopper Fan has done a nice job of pointing out nearby resorts with much lower prices and pools that are as nice (or nicer) than many (not all) of the deluxe resorts.

Now, I grant you that none of the offside resorts are going to give you Giraffes outside your window, but only one of the Disney resorts offers that, while the others do not.

Even with the deluxes, you're giving up something. Stay at AKL, you get fantastic live animals at your resort, but you have to take a bus (or drive or lyft/uber/minnie van) to the parks. Stay at the Epcot area hotels or on the Monorail loop, and you get easy access to 1-2 parks. But those are the priciest, and, as Hopper Fan pointed out, they don't necessarily all have theming, pools, or other amenities that compare favorably with some of the offsite options (some do, but not all). And if you stay at OKW or SSR, for example, you have neither exquisite theming nor quick park access. You could easily drive over to the parks from WBC faster than you could take Disney transport from OKW or SSR.

OP is absolutely saving a great deal of money staying offsite, and is doing it at very nice resorts. For someone who wants to roll out of bed, hop on the monorail, and be at MK quickly, the nicest offsite pool and the comfiest beds with the most professional staff in the world are not going to beat the Contemporary.

I hope I'm not putting words into OP's mouth, but I think the point is that the ACCOMMODATIONS are equivalent. Not that the perks or locations are necessarily the same. I don't think anyone is saying that driving over from WBC is the same experience as staying on the monorail line, but that some offsite resorts compare favorably to the Disney resorts themselves.

It's totally valid to value proximity, and pay for it. But I think OP's point is that the location within the "bubble" is what you're paying for compared with some of the nearby resorts (who have arguably put in a lot of effort to make their properties extra nice in order to compete with the advantage of proximity that Disney hotels enjoy by default).

Hopper Fan has done a nice job of pointing out nearby resorts with much lower prices and pools that are as nice (or nicer) than many (not all) of the deluxe resorts.

Now, I grant you that none of the offside resorts are going to give you Giraffes outside your window, but only one of the Disney resorts offers that, while the others do not.

Even with the deluxes, you're giving up something. Stay at AKL, you get fantastic live animals at your resort, but you have to take a bus (or drive or lyft/uber/minnie van) to the parks. Stay at the Epcot area hotels or on the Monorail loop, and you get easy access to 1-2 parks. But those are the priciest, and, as Hopper Fan pointed out, they don't necessarily all have theming, pools, or other amenities that compare favorably with some of the offsite options (some do, but not all). And if you stay at OKW or SSR, for example, you have neither exquisite theming nor quick park access. You could easily drive over to the parks from WBC faster than you could take Disney transport from OKW or SSR.

OP is absolutely saving a great deal of money staying offsite, and is doing it at very nice resorts. For someone who wants to roll out of bed, hop on the monorail, and be at MK quickly, the nicest offsite pool and the comfiest beds with the most professional staff in the world are not going to beat the Contemporary.

Seemed like OP's point was that the price is 90% less.
However as I pointed out yeah sure the price of where you lay your head may be less but there are usually hidden costs that add up. (add up to as much as staying onsite? probably not but don't make your overall vacation 90% less due to the things I had previously mentioned)
Hope you aren't taking offense as that's not at all my intention. We can all have our own opinions. As someone else said different strokes.

I stayed at an condo rental for a week and it was easily my least favourite vacation of my entire life. Dealing with a rental car was a pain, buying groceries and toiletries, cleaning, doing laundry and the pool was freezing so couldn't even use it. Never again, I don't care how much it cost

Uh ... OK, I guess.

You're right that math is math, so I guess you showed those people on that other website?

From looking at a few other posts I see OP has AP's which means no daily parking fee correct? Also they are driving and I bet it's with their own car. And apparently they got their accommodation price via an auction on ebay. So now I'm getting a clearer picture for their specific situation in which yes I do think staying offsite could be a significant savings but that is them and I a m me lol. Very different than my usual circumsttances.

Last edited:
Nobody has mentioned the reason we love off-site. The extra room. When the kids were little and went with us, each having their own room was great. We had extra room, extra bathrooms, extra TVs. When they got older, they would go out with their friends on the college program and we could go to bed in a real bedroom. Now we go as empty nesters and parking at the front door and having an extra room if the snoring gets to be too much is wonderful.

Even when we stay on-site and fly, we always rent a car and used the dining plan once (and won’t use it again) so that makes no difference to us. We have off-site places we enjoy eating at that are much better and cheaper than on-site. I don’t cook on vacation, but it’s nice to come back to cold drinks and snacks that didn’t break the bank. I also like my peanut butter toast in the morning with my tea that I can eat in my pjs. I like to fly with one checked bag and with a washer and dryer we can do that.

Nobody has mentioned the reason we love off-site. The extra room. When the kids were little and went with us, each having their own room was great. We had extra room, extra bathrooms, extra TVs. When they got older, they would go out with their friends on the college program and we could go to bed in a real bedroom. Now we go as empty nesters and parking at the front door and having an extra room if the snoring gets to be too much is wonderful.

Even when we stay on-site and fly, we always rent a car and used the dining plan once (and won’t use it again) so that makes no difference to us. We have off-site places we enjoy eating at that are much better and cheaper than on-site. I don’t cook on vacation, but it’s nice to come back to cold drinks and snacks that didn’t break the bank. I also like my peanut butter toast in the morning with my tea that I can eat in my pjs. I like to fly with one checked bag and with a washer and dryer we can do that.
Extra room depends on how many people are there lol. We had a 7 bedroom house and 14 people. I legit shared a bed with my sister. I i had no more privacy than a hotel room and had to share the bathroom with 3 other people also there was a toddler who did not enjoy sleeping in a strange house so lots of crying at 2am.
The living room and kitchen were only used at 6am and then people had to wash dishes before they could use the m again.
Offsite makes more sense foor some and on-site makes more sen se for others.
I guess that is what this whole thread bo8ls down to. No right no wrong no rules for any of us lol.

The entire thing becomes a value judgment, and always does. Even the "perks" people talk about for on-site are value judgments. Same with the perks and drawbacks of off-site, those are value judgments too. For us, the onsite perks people talk about would be huge negatives and in some cases straight deal breakers:

Using WDW transportation, the "bubble", EMH. None of those have any appeal to us, and in fact as I've said before if we had to stay onsite we honestly wouldn't even go. Just not the right fit for us.

The negatives people point out about off site are actually huge positives for us:

Having a kitchen, laundry and 4 bedrooms is invaluable. We love having our car and driving. We love having our "bubble" be more than just WDW property. We literally spend less than half of what others do on the house, and also save 70-90% in food costs compared to what I hear others say they spend eating on property.

But that's simply our way. It's not for everyone, nor does it need to be. I'm happy to share what we do and why, but if it doesn't fit someone else's priorities, well...they're dead wrong. :snooty: :tongue:

For me the "argument" is in the definition of what is equivalent. To me an offsite room isn't the same vacation as an onsite room for me. W love staying at SSR as we can let our teenagers go out alone as we have Disney transportation at the door also we walk to Ds for dinner no car. Yes we are paying more but it is a different trip so I wouldn't argue that offsite isn't cheaper but I would argue that it isn't always equivalent.

But why bother trying to convince people it's onsite for us offsite for you. Leave it at tat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!