Painted Rocks

HopperFan

"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess."
I figured this was the best forum to ask ....

We know all about the painted rocks and think it's been a great positive activity.

I had read several sources that say they are strictly prohibited in Disney World, that security is supposed to take them away ... and if so I figured they are hard for folks to bring in. One trip we did see one in the grass of the hub, we picked it up and moved to a fence rail as it was down in where a mower might hit it.

Never thought anything else about it since everything I saw said it's a big no-no, in parks. I would guess hotels etc are okay.

I now see there is a rock group Disney Rocks and they leave them everywhere in the parks. They have days where they only go with that purpose, and many rocks are Disney themed. If it's not allowed, not sure how they get past security ... but maybe what I read is wrong or Disney changed their mind.

Anybody have insight? Know if it is banned? Do you participate or did you find any?

Just curious ...

We were behind someone going into Epcot last August that had a bag with several painted rocks. Security told them they couldn't be brought in. They said they'd done it before without a problem but security said they were tightening up the policy because they could be used as a weapon. At that point, another security person pulled them aside to talk to them and we continued through the check, so I don't know what happened next.

We were behind someone going into Epcot last August that had a bag with several painted rocks. Security told them they couldn't be brought in. They said they'd done it before without a problem but security said they were tightening up the policy because they could be used as a weapon. At that point, another security person pulled them aside to talk to them and we continued through the check, so I don't know what happened next.

Yes, I read Disney considers them a weapon. I joined the Disney Rocks group just so I could read posts and was fascinated it appears many go in parks with quite the collection to put out, and folks are posting their finds. It almost seems Disney is willing closing a blind eye.

We are in St. Augustine often and they have a huge group. I found two one trip, rehid one immediately and brought one home with us to hide farther away. It's a great wholesome activity but I certainly understand the issues private properties have with it as folks sometimes don't think about where they put them.

Thanks for sharing.

I'd never heard of this, so I googled it. I'm so out of the loop, lol!
Many of the rocks were beautiful!

I'll be on the lookout in Oct when we are at WDW.

(I suppose just about anything can be used as a weapon....but most of the pixs I saw online were of fairly small rocks...)

I'd never heard of this, so I googled it. I'm so out of the loop, lol!
Many of the rocks were beautiful!

I'll be on the lookout in Oct when we are at WDW.

(I suppose just about anything can be used as a weapon....but most of the pixs I saw online were of fairly small rocks...)

They are all on smaller side. I think their concern would be them "falling or flying" out of rides, being left where they could impact equipment ....

But it's also a disruption to their on stage look.

It is very popular even internationally. Folks write their "club" on the back which should have a facebook group. If you find you take a picture, post on that group and where you found it. Cool to see how they travel. Funny, I've read stories of folks who found something just when they needed a sign or pick me up or just made them smile. Some keep them, some rehide them. Some just paint and hide. I have one now I found in Florida and am taking it out of town this weekend to leave it.

You should see if there is a group in your area.

Last edited:
We found a fairly large painted rock from Ohio last November at Sleepy Hollow in Magic Kingdom. We live an hour away and re-hid it in a local park.
IMG_5352 - Copy (2).JPG

I had no idea there was a Disney Rocks group. We had never heard of painted rocks before moving down to FL a year ago. Now we love painting rocks, and I always keep a few rocks in my bag to hide around town. Sometimes I bring that same bag to Disney, security has never said anything (I forgot the rocks were even in there). I've never hid at Disney though because I thought it was a no-no.

Why do people think it's OK to leave that crap around?

I don’t think it should be in Disney or any other “private” property, which was why I surprised.

It is a fun wholesome activity and fine to hide rocks in publc areas or libraries etc. Some towns like St Augustine fully embrace it even in businesses.

And many are beautiful ...

B6BF0268-E805-4150-BA06-4B7AA5FE042E.jpeg

Last edited:
I don’t think it should be in Disney or any other “private” property, which was why I surprised.

It is a fun wholesome activity and fine to hide rocks in publc areas or libraries etc. Some towns like St Augustine fully embrace it even in businesses.

And many are beautiful ...

View attachment 328764

Hiding painted rocks - not fun when the industrial mower hits one and sends it airborne. Our public works employees have too much to do as it is to have to worry about moving rocks some people think are OK to place around public areas, IMO. And to encourage people to take them? Why encourage people to take stuff that's not theirs to start with? Sure, some of them look really nice. People should either put them in their own yards, or find a shop that would like to sell them, IMO.

Hiding painted rocks - not fun when the industrial mower hits one and sends it airborne. Our public works employees have too much to do as it is to have to worry about moving rocks some people think are OK to place around public areas, IMO. And to encourage people to take them? Why encourage people to take stuff that's not theirs to start with? Sure, some of them look really nice. People should either put them in their own yards, or find a shop that would like to sell them, IMO.

I do believe most groups state to not place in grass or any area that it could be hazardous.

Many communities have embraced it so I’ll leave it up to them to “ban” it. But I’m pretty sure Disney is not embracing it so hence my post and asking others.

To each their own ... I think lots of things are inappropriate - even at Disney - I try to ignore.

I know a few beaches (as well as National Parks - that's a no-no too) had to start asking people to stop leaving rocks because so many were being left and it was disrupting the natural beauty and since they could not confirm what type of paint/sealant was used, risked releasing toxins into the water. We personally don't participate because we've always taught Leave No Trace. When we see one in a park or beach, we treat it like any other piece of trash.

I get the idea, but just because something sounds like a good idea, doesn't mean it is.

I know a few beaches (as well as National Parks - that's a no-no too) had to start asking people to stop leaving rocks because so many were being left and it was disrupting the natural beauty and since they could not confirm what type of paint/sealant was used, risked releasing toxins into the water. We personally don't participate because we've always taught Leave No Trace. When we see one in a park or beach, we treat it like any other piece of trash.

I get the idea, but just because something sounds like a good idea, doesn't mean it is.

It's also illegal to remove the original rocks from areas in the first place.

Wow--who knew passing along a little piece of art to brighten someone's day would raise such controversy!!!

What you may consider "a little piece of art to brighten someone's day" is completely subjective.

OK, so I guess I'm not up on this thing. :laughing: I was pushing my friend's toddlers in a stroller and we passed a bunch of painted rocks laid out on a much larger rock by the side of the road. They wanted to pick them up, and I said no, that I thought the kids who lived there must have made them to decorate their yard. Maybe we were supposed to move them???

Thinking about the idea, though, I do think it's kind of neat - as long as people are very mindful of safe practices, like not leaving them where they'll get hit by mowers and sent flying! I think people today are really searching for connection, and this is a way to feel connected to people all over. Besides that, art is therapeutic, and tracking them will help kids learn geography.

Re: painted rocks as weapons. Protestors frequently use them. They paint them first so if searched they can say they have them with innocent intentions to hide them and spread love/joy. But they fill small bags/socks with many small/medium rocks to use them to hit law enforcement or smash windows. Haven't heard of protest groups moving in at Disney - but could happen. Pro-active move by Disney Security in my opinion. Kids can hide rocks at resorts or other areas on vacation to spread the good vibes.

Re: painted rocks as weapons. Protestors frequently use them. They paint them first so if searched they can say they have them with innocent intentions to hide them and spread love/joy. But they fill small bags/socks with many small/medium rocks to use them to hit law enforcement or smash windows. Haven't heard of protest groups moving in at Disney - but could happen. Pro-active move by Disney Security in my opinion. Kids can hide rocks at resorts or other areas on vacation to spread the good vibes.
Protesters paint rocks before throwing them at law enforcement as a proactive defense in court?
Got a link for that?

Protesters paint rocks before throwing them at law enforcement as a proactive defense in court?
Got a link for that?

I did not say anything about court - it's a way to get impromptu weapons by security when being stopped, searched at checkpoint or security area (like getting into a stadium, heading to demonstration). That people said they can also use landscaping rocks that are already in a place. Google "black bloc" tactics if you like - I'm not googling or posting links from groups that spread this type of message. The point is nefarious people can take innocent activities and twist them for their own agenda - I'm glad Disney Security is thinking big picture to keep us safe when there.

I did not say anything about court - it's a way to get impromptu weapons by security when being stopped, searched at checkpoint or security area (like getting into a stadium, heading to demonstration). That people said they can also use landscaping rocks that are already in a place. Google "black bloc" tactics if you like - I'm not googling or posting links from groups that spread this type of message. The point is nefarious people can take innocent activities and twist them for their own agenda - I'm glad Disney Security is thinking big picture to keep us safe when there.

If you are uncomfortable goggling the term "black bloc" then so am I . If using painted rocks as weapons during protests cannot be substantiated by court records, police incident reports, or charges, I'll just assume this is an urban legend and move on:).

I live in an area where organised protests are common and never heard of painted rocks being used in nefarious manners or even existing before this thread, LOL.
I don't think placing rocks in new locations makes a lot of sense but for different reasons. I'm sure those who do this have good intentions.

Last edited:
I've heard there might be a Die-In at WDW in the near future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!