Palo Brunch on Wonder with many food sensitivities?

cruisehopeful

DIS Veteran
I know we can get a very customized dinner at Palo on Wonder. I am wondering if they can handle that at brunch. I can eat whatever I want, but my husband cannot eat gluten, corn or nightshades. Disney on the whole has been very easy for us to deal with, but it is normal to have nightshades in pretty much everything.

From what I understand, Palo brunch is more of a buffet with a few items that can be ordered. Are the ordered items easily made custom? Is there an option to just order "normal" breakfast items like made to order eggs and bacon?

Yes, you can order eggs in many different ways on the Palo brunch menu with other items that can be made to order and customized to your dietary requirements.

Tell your husband to expect a great meal. I, too, not only have allergies to nightshades and gluten, but also to dairy and shellfish. I still eat well at the Palo brunch. First, I get the fresh fruit from the buffet. Then the chef has always come out to ask me what I’d like to special order. Over the years I’ve had omelets, gluten free pizzas, fish, and filet mignon. They’ve even made me special desserts. Also, the chefs are good about making sure there is no potato flour in the gluten free bread products. Your husband would probably have a better time with the buffet than I do since he doesn’t have a shellfish allergy, however nightshades are in a lot of the dishes.
Hope this helps!

We were in Palo on the Wonder for brunch last month. There was a woman speaking to the chef out by the buffet about her allergies while I was clearing out the buffet. It was a very long list (all the more common ones plus some uncommon ones) and the chef was discussing different options. I don't know what they came up with but I saw her eating when we left. They will do everything they can to accommodate you.

What are nightshades? I have never heard of those. Sounds more foodie-like than Palo.

Just a class of foods. Tomatoes. Eggplants. Peppers. White and red potatoes, but not sweet potatoes. Eggplant parmesan is just about the nightmare confluence for someone with nightshade allergy.

I've never heard of nightshades either, (Hi @Dug720 ). I need to look into this because my Dr. can't determine my inflammation problems. I am allergic to tomatoes and got very sick the one time I tried eggplant. Hmmm.

I've never heard of nightshades either, (Hi @Dug720 ). I need to look into this because my Dr. can't determine my inflammation problems. I am allergic to tomatoes and got very sick the one time I tried eggplant. Hmmm.
They are one of the things you learn about in master gardening classes, because they do better planted near certain things, and some stuff hates being planted near them.

Palo brunch is fine for sensitivities or severe allergies like my wife has. The chef showed her what she could and couldn't have.

Definitely something to check out. I had problems with tomato and eggplant. Still got sick even after eliminating them from my diet. Finally made the connection with potatoes. That’s when I learned they were all related. The hardest thing to avoid is paprika. It’s also a nightshade and is found in so many spice mixes and foods. Nightshades are by far my most difficult allergy food to accommodate when eating out. DCL does a great job. Honestly, that’s what keeps me coming back. I eat like a normal person with yummy food. Normally, restaurants are terrified to serve me. I end up with plain fish, chicken, or steak and steamed veggies. So boring when everyone else at the table gets interesting meals.

The hardest thing to avoid is paprika. It’s also a nightshade and is found in so many spice mixes and foods.
Yep. We've been to many restaurants on land asking for no nightshades only to have food come out with paprika on it.

It's also hidden in many prepared foods at the grocery store with the mystery "spices" or "flavorings" added.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter