Palo brunch - what's it like?

FigmentSpark

DIS Veteran
And why is it so great?

We don't do a lot of brunch things at home, but I do love a good buffet. What sorts of foods will they have at the brunch that they might not have elsewhere? I assume it's worth the $30?

Also, why Palo brunch over Remy brunch?

Oh yeah, is the dress code still the same for brunch? Are sandals okay or a no-no?

Palo Brunch is my favorite food on the ship. As for what they have there that is not elsewhere, some of our favorites are chicken parm, a saltimbocca dish (I forget if its chicken or veal...maybe veal), lasagna, amazing sticky buns and we don't even go near the seafood table. I know that is a big hit for seafood lovers.

While we do not pay for this anymore since we are platinum, I would say it is worth the money if you have to pay.

The menu at Remy looks too funky for our tastes, so that is why we only do Palo.

Dressy sandals will be fine for brunch. On our last visit (Fantasy in August) we saw the dress code was very relaxed from what it had been, at least for women. I was very surprised with what I saw.

Remy is fine French dining with composed dished and a progression of courses. Brunch is 5 courses with no choice. Though if you have food allergies or preferences, I'm sure they could accommodate (we did not). Palo brunch being a buffet with dishes you can order, is more try a little bit of this, try a little bit of that.

Totally different experiences and just depends on what you prefer.

I've only done each once. My Palo experience was off - rough seas and service was off (dishes not cleared, utensils not replaced). My Remy brunch experience was wonderful, though the food was not quite as good as Remy dinner (only because dinner was amazing). So at the moment, I prefer Remy brunch. But I'm looking forward to giving Palo brunch another try!

Palo brunch is a must for us on every cruise. I can not rave enough about the chicken parm. It's the best I've ever had... and I'm an Italian from New York! The quality of food, excellent service and beautiful views are what make this a must do for us. Recently Disney has been much more lax about their dress code at Palo. DH and I almost choked on our cocktail shrimp when we watched two women get seated in their pool wear. Dressy sandals are certainly alright.

lol - pool wear? Some people!

So, is 10:30 for brunch too early? We have early seating.

I think that's the perfect time. On our last sailing, we had brunch at 10:30. We finished up close to 12:30 and had the rest of the afternoon to do as we pleased. We weren't very hungry for dinner, but I was very happy with my soup and salad. Looking forward to doing it again on our next sailing.

We were on the Dream last week and did the Palo brunch on Saturday while at Nassau. We, too, are platinum so we did not have to pay for it. It is one of the benefits of being platinum cruisers. Anyway, our server was Danny from Scotland and he was AMAZING! While we have dined in Palo's in the past, he still went over the menu items and then took us on our 'tour' of the buffet. I started with the tomato basil soup which was delicious. I ordered the eggplant which was sliced very thin and rolled in panko bread crumbs and stuffed with cheese .. omg it was so good! When it was first placed in front of me, the bowl was gigantic and my though was that they were skimpy on the food.. but in the end, it was just right. The red sauce was not to spicy and not bland, just right. We still had the buffet to pick from! DH had the chicken parmesan which was a huge portion and to my surprise he ate the whole thing! At the buffet there was a selection of breads and rolls, then there was a seafood selection and the next station was cheeses and caviar and proscuito and roasted asparagas and more.. Then of course the finale.. the desserts.. omg I could have dined on just these! The great thing is they are small portions, a few bites.. so you get to try everything! The tiramsue was the best. We took pictures but have not uploaded them yet..

As for the dress code, let me just say that on our last cruise my DH was in dress pants and shirt and tie but had on sneakers due to us forgetting to pack his dress shoes.. so upon checkin at Palo desk, the cast member noticed his sneakers and mentioned the dress code and then immediately offered him a pair of dress shoes from their 'stash' She stated that men tend to forget their dress shoes so they have a few pairs of most sizes available.

On this cruise, I was hoping to see a cruise photographer to take a picture of us since we were dressed up.. however, there were none to be seen at brunch so I was a bit disappointed. Our server, Danny, was kind enough to take a picture of us with our own camera but the quality is nothing like what the ship photographers use. Oh well, next time...

All in all, we love Palo's brunch. We tend to reserve it while in Nassau.

Try it out and let us know what you think!

and most importantly have a magical cruise!

Its a beautiful restaurant with really good food, the service is top notch, they make you feel so special while you're there.
I love brunch, I have never put a bad piece of food in my mouth while there.

You will love it too, its so quiet compared to the MDRs.

The Palo brunch is not to be missed. Multiple buffet options: seafood table with a variety of smoked salmon, tuna, shrimp, octupus salad, etc.; salads and pickled vegtables, including asparagus, artichokes, mushrooms, olives, etc.; breads and pastries; caviar; cheeses, including some of the best parmesan I’ve had (dress with balsamic); and a dessert selection that should satisfy any sweet tooth. The entree menu includes breakfast choices, like pancakes or eggs Benedict, and lunch choices, like the veal saltimbocca or chicken parmesan. Certainly well worth the $30 upcharge plus gratuity. It’s one of my favorite cruise experiences.

We cruise primarily on the classic ships, so I’ve only done the Remy brunch one time. It’s an entirely different experience. I enjoyed it, but for me, the experience is not worth the extra cost compared to the Palo brunch. I should note that I think the same for the Remy dinner compared to the Palo dinner.

We've done both brunches. I prefer Remy brunch, hubby prefers Palo brunch. I end up so stuffed after Palo brunch and I found the amount of food at Remy to be perfect.

I'm gung-ho for anything Remy. It's something I don't get to experience on a regular basis.

Palo leaves me kind of meh. Nothing about it really blows my skirt up, though it's a decent deal for the money. I used to like their Bloody Mary, but my last one was very pedestrian.

My wife would choose Palo over Remy any day of the week, but she's not as food-adventurous as I am.

We finally got to try Remy on the Fantasy in August. DD and I enjoyed both the brunch and the dinner. DD has nut allergy and the chef changed the chocolate dessert to a fruit sorbet. It was amazingly delicious and I was so envious. We also did Palo brunch. I somehow enjoyed the one on the Wonder more, probably due to the new menu and a different set up on the Fantasy. We will try to book Palo Brunch again on the Magic this time. There is only one sea day on a 4-night cruise. I will try to snap a reservation when online check-in first opens. Pixie dust!

We always follow the dress code. I enjoy dressing nicely for dinner. I never really pay attention to what others wear. DD doesn’t like dressing up and she feels more relaxed at Palo.

We tried Palo brunch for the first time this year and loved it. We will do it again in April. It's worth the extra $30.

A week ago yesterday we did Palo brunch on the Fantasy. :(. It was our first (on our 7th cruise!) and was fantastic. Our reservation was for 10 and was the perfect time for us. Before last week, I wouldn't have advised it as the whole thing seemed hokey. I know better now.

We've done both and I personally prefer the Palo brunch.

Remy brunch you have a set menu to try, we enjoyed all the food as well as the champagne in the beginning. It also feels more intimate since there are only a set number of people in the dining room, and the only people walking around are the servers.

The Palo brunch is a buffet with a lot of different things to try as well as deserts. You can also order additional items from a menu as well which is included. There is more commotion since there are servers and patrons walking around.

I liked both but prefer the Palo brunch.

Got off the Magic last Wednesday and DH and I did Palo brunch for the first time. Aside from all the items mentioned above we enjoyed the complimentary mimosas with the meal! It was quite an enjoyable experience and very different from Palo dinner. Much more relaxed but also in a luxurious way. I discovered my new found love for caviar.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter