Pandora rides

I would think the Na'vi River Journey could have a wheelchair boat without a ramp! Our zoo in Columbus, Ohio has a very small river ride and the wheelchair boat does not have a ramp! The floor of the boat raises up to to meet with the loading dock and then you can roll right on in and turn! It even has tie downs! I have a picture but it's too large to upload here. Disney is so hung up on safety I really think they missed the boat here! The tiered transfer system sounds very unsafe and even for those who can walk but can't step up or down this excludes even them from transferring! How does that even meet minimum ADA when most who really need a wheelchair still can't transfer? As for Flight of Passage an alternative viewing area would have been a nice idea. We watched a small part of the Tomorrowland movie at Epcot one year and the floor moved and wind blew which made it such a cool experience for my daughter who is in a wheelchair and can not transfer!

I would think the Na'vi River Journey could have a wheelchair boat without a ramp! Our zoo in Columbus, Ohio has a very small river ride and the wheelchair boat does not have a ramp! The floor of the boat raises up to to meet with the loading dock and then you can roll right on in and turn! It even has tie downs! I have a picture but it's too large to upload here. Disney is so hung up on safety I really think they missed the boat here! The tiered transfer system sounds very unsafe and even for those who can walk but can't step up or down this excludes even them from transferring! How does that even meet minimum ADA when most who really need a wheelchair still can't transfer? As for Flight of Passage an alternative viewing area would have been a nice idea. We watched a small part of the Tomorrowland movie at Epcot one year and the floor moved and wind blew which made it such a cool experience for my daughter who is in a wheelchair and can not transfer!
It may not seem like a transfer tier would meet the ADA, but it does. There is a very narrow list of people it will work for though.

I have heard 2 other rumors - I can't say they are confirmed in any way, but they are rumors about access for both attractions. Since they are just rumors, take them with a grain of salt.

Na'vi River Ride - one rumor says there is work being done on a seat that lifts up, swings out for loading and then swings back into the seat and lowers. That would still require a transfer, but would be accessible to many who could not do the transfer tier. That fits the information I was given that each attraction would have a 'unique' transfer device.

Flights of Passage - someone posted on the Theme Parks Board thread that there is some kind of transfer device that you transfer from a wheelchair to, then the device is rolled over the seat to 'deliver' you to it. You still would need to transfer, but the transfer itself would be easier.
There is also a recent post on the Theme Parks Pandora thread that indicates some kind of viewing area for those who can't ride was planned, but not ready. Again, a rumor.

Keep in mind that some of the more specialized transfer solutions seem like they will work, but take time to perfect. I was friends with a CM who worked at the Jungle Cruise while they were developing the lift for the Jungls Cruise boats. It took much longer to create than they thought and the first ones delivered for testing sunk the boats because they had too much downward force. When they decreased the force, it didn't work at all. They finally got it sorted out, but it took WAY longer than they thought.

I guess we just need to give it time. The Jungle Cruise was a "no go" for a long time, now it's our "go to" at the MK. Who knows, if they perfect a transfer to the Na'vi River boat, maybe they can be creative with the Pirates or Frozen boats. Or maybe their work to find a solution for this will help them open the Star Wars land with easy transfers. 'We'll be there is October and just see what we can do. Thanks for creating and keeping this thread up. My son is so excited for River Journey. I want to prepare him for maybe not doing it this time. Your work here really is helpful.

Na'vi River Ride - one rumor says there is work being done on a seat that lifts up, swings out for loading and then swings back into the seat and lowers.

I'm pretty sure they have something like this over at Universal for the Jurassic Park River Adventure. You transfer to a seat that is then lowered into the boat, when you unload the seat is raised and you transfer back.

I'm pretty sure they have something like this over at Universal for the Jurassic Park River Adventure. You transfer to a seat that is then lowered into the boat, when you unload the seat is raised and you transfer back.
yes
I have not seen it, but have heard about it it.

Don't know about Jurassic, but last time I was on Tips as* Falls, I had a seat that lifted so I could access the log, then lowered so I could ride.

*Ripsaw Falls, even.

Last edited:
Flights of Passage - someone posted on the Theme Parks Board thread that there is some kind of transfer device that you transfer from a wheelchair to, then the device is rolled over the seat to 'deliver' you to it. You still would need to transfer, but the transfer itself would be easier.

Yes I saw this Device I was not able to take a picture of it or get a good idea of what it was ( I was back stage since I had to leave the line rather fast due to an emergence

but it looked very
similar to This device http://www.spinlife.com/Invacare-Divided-Leg-Sling-Universal-Slings/spec.cfm?productID=2346&adv=googlepla&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=googlepla&default=1&utm_term=&utm_campaign=610148043 ( but the back meter and top metal part where more straight and the cloth part was just two cloth straps you would put your lags in. There might have been another strap and it looked like they had at lest 3 or 4 of them in this room.

Now just because I saw these dose not mean Disney is ready to use them for guest. like sueM said they may still be perfecting the use of them. as I never saw it on stage just back stage

IMG_2091.JPG IMG_2092.JPG Thanks.
I was thinking of a lift of some type.
The cloth part is called a SLING and there are various types of slings, depending on what you are transferring to.
The slings with separate leg parts are for situations where you need the legs to be apart. So, that kind would work for this attraction.

Here are 2 lift photos with divided slings. The position of the person operating the lift would need to be different because you can't get in front of the ride vehicle.

Thanks.
I was thinking of a lift of some type.
The cloth part is called a SLING and there are various types of slings, depending on what you are transferring to.
The slings with separate leg parts are for situations where you need the legs to be apart. So, that kind would work for this attraction.
yep I am so tired from my trip that I could not think of the words I wanted to use or even describe what I saw until I googled a picture of it. I will be down again next weekend for opening and will let you know if I see this on stage and being used for any guest

also there are 4 theaters for this ride

each one as 3 floors the top 2 you have to go up steps ( I never did but I would guess it would be like walking up 1 or 2 flight of stars) each floor holds 16 people) they use the bottom for people in wheel chair or other mobility decides so if you do need a mobility device you are not really having to wait any longer, I guest the only time would be if the bottom floor was full and you had to wait one more time but it looked like they loaded top to bottom). you can take your wheel chair into the room with you and have it very close to the back of the ride and kind of slide you self on ( you might have to take a step of two, unless the trasfer device is used. then the CM have to move your device out of the room and well bing it back after the ride. All bags must fit in the cubby and all the way nothing can be out side of the cubbies ( the ride will not start even if something the size of a paper is out. But I had no problems with putting my very big bag in. You are not allowed to have anything on the ride with you.

oh and I think I sad this before you can take ECV in line with you and when you get to the point of them putting you in the room ( just before) you will have to use a wheel chair or walk ( it was kind of like sarin where you go in one room watch a video. This is where you get your avatar then you go in another room watch another video on the ride it self then walk in the roomful the ride. If you can not easily do a FP line walking and standing for 10 minutes I would ask for a wheel chair I want to say the line would be about 50 to 100 steps ( I did not count but where some walking after my friend had to leave her ECV) but you will be standing.

like I said before I am very tired but wanted to do this before I forgot so if there are spelling grammar mistakes I am sorry

Last edited:
View attachment 238399 View attachment 238400 Thanks.

Here are 2 lift photos with divided slings. The position of the person operating the lift would need to be different because you can't get in front of the ride vehicle.

from what I saw it looked like the CM would stand behind the transfer device. and the person using the device would get in the sling facing the metal part and then the sling part would turn so now the metal frame is behind the person getting on the ride. then they can be lowered on the ride vehicle it self. This would be my guess from what I saw the device to look like and on the little I know about the transfer devices ( I do have a friend that has one and uses it, I have only seen them use it a hand full of times.

There is also a report today on another website. One that doesn't have a forum. I don't know if I can say the name of the site. He has a report on the accommodations. He has pictures of a wheelchair that guests would transfer into that can be pumped up like a barber chair and rolled over the ride seat. I guess then the person would slide forward and onto the seat? Harder to get back into the chair I'm sure. Anyway some good pictures. The name of the article can be searched "Special wheelchair and other accommodations allow guests with disabilities to ride Flight of passage." The writer of the article doesn't have a great understanding of transfer needs, but he did get a look at the accommodations. Maybe a moderator can find this and link to the pictures.

There is also a report today on another website. One that doesn't have a forum. I don't know if I can say the name of the site. He has a report on the accommodations. He has pictures of a wheelchair that guests would transfer into that can be pumped up like a barber chair and rolled over the ride seat. I guess then the person would slide forward and onto the seat? Harder to get back into the chair I'm sure. Anyway some good pictures. The name of the article can be searched "Special wheelchair and other accommodations allow guests with disabilities to ride Flight of passage." The writer of the article doesn't have a great understanding of transfer needs, but he did get a look at the accommodations. Maybe a moderator can find this and link to the pictures.
Thanks, I'll look it up and see whether it can be posted.

I had heard a description like that earlier, but had not seen pictures.

A solid seat instead of a swing seat sounds easier to transfer into. I know I have trouble with a seat that moves away from me as I try to transfer.

That doesn't look too bad. It's a straight wheelchair to wheelchair transfer. The transfer chair they provide looks like it is height adjustable so that it will rise to the correct level for the ride.

Here's a solution that hasn't even been discussed yet and is very handy and useful. I've had one for about 8 years and they are marvelous.

https://www.surehands.com/products/surehands-body-support/

They can be mounted to a ceiling system, portable system like shown earlier with the sling or even to a wall-mounted arm. They certainly would be very easy to use to load somebody into either the boats or 1 of the seats on the banshee. They are used many places to load patients under horseback for therapy so loading someone onto a ride that is stationary wouldn't be in very big issue at all!

Here's a solution that hasn't even been discussed yet and is very handy and useful. I've had one for about 8 years and they are marvelous.

https://www.surehands.com/products/surehands-body-support/

They can be mounted to a ceiling system, portable system like shown earlier with the sling or even to a wall-mounted arm. They certainly would be very easy to use to load somebody into either the boats or 1 of the seats on the banshee. They are used many places to load patients under horseback for therapy so loading someone onto a ride that is stationary wouldn't be in very big issue at all!

I wonder if that is what they may be working on for Navi River but just haven't installed yet. Would need some themeing of course.

Even with the things we've seen already, I don't think we've seen everything yet.

This is the article about accessibility mentioned in another post:

May 2017
PHOTOS: Special Wheelchair & Other Accommodations Allow Guests with Disabilities to Ride Flight of Passage in Pandora – The World of AVATAR
By Tom Corless -- Posted in: Parks & Resorts, Walt Disney World Resort-- No comments -- Leave comment
This post may contain affiliate links; please read the disclosure for more info.

For the last few days, the internet has been abuzz with talk about how “unaccommodating” the attractions in Pandora: The World of AVATAR are for guests in wheelchairs. Well, after doing some research during our last visit to the planet, it appears that they are just as accommodating as other rides at Walt Disney World.

After reading more than enough pieces about these issues, I decided I wanted to see what was actually going on at the attraction, rather than speculation without first-hand experience. We spoke to cast members at the attractions to get all of the following information, so it should be as accurate as possible.

The link chair vehicles for the AVATAR Flight of Passage attraction in Pandora

The AVATAR Flight of Passage ride system is unique and simply could not accommodate a wheelchair, but wheelchair guests can transfer to ride. Transferring to ride a thrill ride at Walt Disney World is far from uncommon, as less-intense thrill rides such as Soarin’, the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, and Test Track all require such practices. Mind you, these are not decades-old attractions, but all rides that have opened since 1999, in a more modern age where theme parks often have guests requiring accommodation in mind.

At Flight of Passage, guests in a manual wheelchair can stay in their chair until they get to the ride vehicle, as the queue and pre-show experiences are fully accessible. The wheelchair can then pull right beside the Flight of Passage “link chair” seat and transferring will require 1-2 steps.

Those who need additional assistance transferring can also make use of a special wheelchair that is available. This wheelchair has the ability to elevate the guest in the seat via manual foot pump, similar to a barber’s chair. Cast members we spoke to at the attraction said they were able to load guests from this wheelchair effectively with little problem.

Special wheelchair to aid guests in transferring onto the Flight of Passage attraction in Pandora

Special wheelchair to aid guests in transferring onto the Flight of Passage attraction in Pandora

As with other attractions, guests needing to transfer are brought in before other guests are loaded so that they can take their time and have privacy as they move from their chair into the ride vehicle.

Guests in ECVs or motorized scooters will leave their ECVs before the pre-show areas and have the option of walking the rest of the way or using a manual wheelchair (or again, the special one pictured above, if need be). The distance from the door of the first pre-show room to the ride vehicle is about 50 steps, but also requires several minutes of standing.

Meanwhile, at the Na’vi River Journey ride, while there are no “wheelchair boats” that such a device could simply roll right onto, they do have a multi-tiered set of steps that allow guests to more easily descend into the boat. The rows on the boat are quite large as well, making it easier to assist a guest who must transfer into the vehicle. It’s not perfect, but it isn’t terribly complicated either. Transferring from a wheelchair is a necessity at many slow-moving Walt Disney World attractions, including The Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Spaceship Earth.

We hope this helps to clarify the process with factual information rather than vague, broad statements about the process at either attraction. As for concerns about guests with larger dimensions fitting on AVATAR Flight of Passage, we will address those in a separate story later this week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!