Parents of Class of 2018 thread

@mommy2mrb Congratulations to your DD and YOU!!

Hope everyone survived EA deadlines. My DD had a sleepover at our house last weekend but turned everything in on time. This weekend she has kids over to finish essays for the last of the applications. Glad she is having fun AND doing work!

Thank you! 3MFamily
We were both surprised and very touched.

DD will be finishing her last two this weekend. Will be nice to have them done, then she can start looking for scholarships.
We had planned on some fun tonight, unfortunately DD rolled her ankle Wednesday and badly sprained it so will be staying home so she can rest it.

Have a great weekend!

Band Senior night was last night. I have been a volunteer in band for many years for two kids, so this time is an ending for me as well. It will be nice to have some free time, but I will miss it and the kids. It is starting to hit them that things are winding down, emotions coming forward. They scored a Superior at last weeks Marching MPA. Lots of tears from the kids and even a few of my own.

All the lasts are so tough. Hugs to everyone enjoying all the last HS moments!

DD17 finally applied and got into our 3 state colleges. We were surprised that she got small scholarships from 2 of them. We just went to see the farther away one and she was not impressed. It's perfectly fine but nothing to draw her there.

Now she is reconsidering applying back east and looking into schools near her sister. Who knows where she will end up at this point.

DD got first acceptance letter! Very nice merit scholarship for all 4 years and housing grant. So excited!!

Son is going to be too late to get the common app done by the 15th I am afraid. He hasn't asked a teacher or counselor for a recommendation yet because he wasn't going to do it at all. He was resigned to our local 4 year school or the local CC first. All of a sudden, he has an interest in a couple of schools that require more info. A couple of the schools take the common app. I am a school counselor, maybe I could get away with writing it! :rolleyes1

Oh well, he just won't get it in for EA.

We are heading off to Open houses for a couple of colleges next weekend. One of the schools is quite high on his list to attend. It is not really a reach school, although he falls somewhere in the average of acceptance scores, a bit higher on GPA and right at test scores. I think he won't have a problem, but he feels he needs a couple of safety schools.

Just home from my DD award ceremony. Was very sweet, counselor spoke and the director from the home in Haiti sent a nice note also to be read.

Also got notification that she got into her #4 school.

Been a really great day!

We did two college tours this weekend, but state schools. He did EA to one of them, says he isn't interested in the other.

He liked the school but says he is changing his mind about his major and has no clue what he wants. He also asked if he could just go to CC next year.

I am inclined to say he should still apply for our local 4 year UNC school, but we also have my oldest heading off to private college, so one in an expensive school and one at CC might not be a bad idea for the next 2 years.

AND I admit I love the idea of him not moving away just yet.

We will see what happens.

I'm curious how long it's taking to get accepted or denied? My DS only submitted 2 applications so far. I think he will get accepted to one, but the other probably not. Waiting is hard.

I'm curious how long it's taking to get accepted or denied? My DS only submitted 2 applications so far. I think he will get accepted to one, but the other probably not. Waiting is hard.

Depends on school. They all should have a date in their application section of website. Some have early decision, some not till February.
my DD #1 choice school will arrive on Christmas Eve! Could be a very sad or happy Christmas! Will have all of her’s back by end of February.
Waiting is hard, getting that first acceptance letter is wonderful and does take some of the pressure off.

Good luck to your DS!

Got official acceptance letter from choice #4 today. Merit scholarship is covering 2/3 of tuition!!!

This is the school I really see her at!

How is everyone doing? Hope thanksgiving was great!

DD waiting very impatiently to hear if she got into #1 choice. Sometime between 12/14 and 12/24. She is second guessing everything and driving me crazy!

DS got his acceptance letter the day after Thanksgiving to the only school he planned to apply to, and directly to the College of Science and Engineering. He's pretty excited. Phew. So, now with my twins both accepted, we are done. Just waiting for financial aid information. Not that I expect them to get much (no needs based aid), but am hoping that DS's (very early) admission means he might get some merit aid.

DS got his acceptance letter the day after Thanksgiving to the only school he planned to apply to, and directly to the College of Science and Engineering. He's pretty excited. Phew. So, now with my twins both accepted, we are done. Just waiting for financial aid information. Not that I expect them to get much (no needs based aid), but am hoping that DS's (very early) admission means he might get some merit aid.

Congratulations!!

DD had her graduation meeting yesterday. They had to write down what they wan their diplomas to say (we left it up to DD, middle name or not) phonetic pronunciation and get measured for their caps and gowns. Getting real now!
Two more weeks and then finals and these should be DD's last finals since Seniors can bypass them if they don't miss more than 5 ( I think) days of school. She will still have her AP exams but they generally prep for those in class the last couple of weeks.

She is having an issue with her AP Seminar teacher. This is the first year the high school is offering Sem and clearly this guy doesn't know what he is doing. DD had to turn in a long researched essay yesterday and said that he just happened to mention that oh yea, they need a counter argument too... She went to her counselor to see if she could drop it next semester and the counselor said no since apparently almost the whole class has tried to drop!! Hopefully they head of English will step in and do something. Other than that, this year is going really well. Having the college decision made and finances sorted has taken a HUGE pressure off us and it is so nice!

DD had her graduation meeting yesterday. They had to write down what they wan their diplomas to say (we left it up to DD, middle name or not) phonetic pronunciation and get measured for their caps and gowns. Getting real now!
Two more weeks and then finals and these should be DD's last finals since Seniors can bypass them if they don't miss more than 5 ( I think) days of school. She will still have her AP exams but they generally prep for those in class the last couple of weeks.

She is having an issue with her AP Seminar teacher. This is the first year the high school is offering Sem and clearly this guy doesn't know what he is doing. DD had to turn in a long researched essay yesterday and said that he just happened to mention that oh yea, they need a counter argument too... She went to her counselor to see if she could drop it next semester and the counselor said no since apparently almost the whole class has tried to drop!! Hopefully they head of English will step in and do something. Other than that, this year is going really well. Having the college decision made and finances sorted has taken a HUGE pressure off us and it is so nice!

Sounds like the dept head needs to have a talk with the teacher. Hope it gets better soon.

Congratulations on having the big decision made!

My daughter has been accepted to 2 schools one with a decent scholarship. She should hear back from more in December. One school actually did on site acceptances. DD doesn't have quarterly grades since she is doesn't take any classes at the high school. The school told dd they officially had to wait until her first semester grades are available. Okay then two days later she got an official acceptance letter. DD wants a smaller school or at least one with small class sizes and professors do the actual teaching.

Dd has been busy. She had a high school competition in November where she earned two gold medals and one silver medal. In December she is testing in front of a judge so she has been practicing whenever there is ice time though that is limited now that hockey has started. She recently became an official junior coach for United States Figure skating Association and can now get paid to teach. In December she is teaching a youth class for the local public access tv station on green screen. She is also helping the high school student film club since they aren't familiar with the equipment. The dance school Nutcracker is coming up which will be her last Nutcracker dance. She has done it yearly since 2nd grade when the dance school started doing it. Right now the spring dance recital is scheduled for the morning after high school graduation.

DD recently picked her schedule for the spring semester. This time she will have classes 4 days a week (again no Fridays) but no night classes. She has 3 classes M/W morning, 1 on T/Th and one online class. The online class wasn't what she wanted but was only offered that way. She is going to see if it works out by just staying late on T/TH and treating it as class time though until it starts she doesn't know if that is how the class can work.

Monday I had a meeting with the 9th grade guidance counselor my daughter had but it was regarding a girl scout silver project for my younger dd. Since they share an office reception area I saw dd's vice principal and her 10-12th grade guidance counselor. The vp told me that dd is one of his stars for completing two years of college while in high school since she is one of 3 to do it since it was new and now they have a big group. The 10-12th grade guidance counselor talked to us too. I was very happy to see in a school of over 1800 students that all 3 of them know dd on a more personal level without her even being with us.

My daughter found out that her application to the college she really, really wanted to get in to has been deferred. She'd applied to early action in the hopes of knowing 100% whether she got in or not. It doesn't help that her 2 friends who applied to early action got in.
So now she won't know until after regular decision is done which means she needs to apply to other colleges just in case she doesn't make it into her #1.

We toured another college in November before she found out the early action decision and just finished up a tour of one today. My daughter is frustrating me to no end because she won't participate while doing the tours after the original one - doesn't ask questions, barely looks at things. Today we could enter one of the biology labs and for a person who wants to be a biology major I thought she'd really be interested. Nope, she just stands there and doesn't really look at a thing.

She didn't like the college we toured in November at all and won't even tell me if she liked the one today - when I asked she practically bit my head off and said she didn't know.

I doesn't help that there are no more college tours until next year when colleges are back in session and most colleges have application deadlines of March.
This would never be an issue if she just would have agreed to tour colleges last summer like my husband and I had wanted her to do.

She is a perfect example of putting all of her eggs in one basket that may not work out and needs to get over herself and get to work choosing a couple of more colleges to apply to.
We told her if she doesn't like the college she chooses she can always transfer to a different one but even that doesn't seem to get her butt in gear.
We've had this discussion with her so many times and it just isn't sinking in. For such a smart teen, she is not acting that way. Ugh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter