Parents of Class of 2018 thread

My son has heard from two of the three schools he applied to. The third was his first choice, but now that he has received a scholarship offer to his second choice, and has visited, and has applied to the honors program there, he is leaning towards going there.

First choice school is local, second choice is 2.5 hours away. As much as I want him here, I am excited for him to go away and experience college life.

So, at this time, it looks like he may be going to UNC Asheville.

He still has no real idea of what he wants to study. He knowns he wants to minor in theater and be involved in the productions. He has been in every production of his high school so far and is on the Improv team.

Congrats to everyone on all of the acceptances and scholarships! Such an exciting time! Anyone have any updates to share?

Thanks to those who helped me with MI State info. We had a great visit and it’s still at the top of DS’s (class of 19) list.

DD has stuck with her choice and will be going 1000 miles away to a college 30 min. away from her older, married sister. I’m so excited for her and we plan to move about 3 hours from them summer 2019.

She’s pretty shy and we worried about her being in a sink or swim situation having to survive on her own. I’m happy to report that she reached out to a few girls on Instagram from the accepted student page.

She connected with one and that one created a group chat with about a dozen girls. She’s thrilled! Hopefully this will lead to some good connections because she’s had some friend struggles in HS.

Look forward to hearing about everyone rlse’s decisions. What are your kids doing about finding roommates? Orientation?

Congrats to everyone on all of the acceptances and scholarships! Such an exciting time! Anyone have any updates to share?

Thanks to those who helped me with MI State info. We had a great visit and it’s still at the top of DS’s (class of 19) list.

DD has stuck with her choice and will be going 1000 miles away to a college 30 min. away from her older, married sister. I’m so excited for her and we plan to move about 3 hours from them summer 2019.

She’s pretty shy and we worried about her being in a sink or swim situation having to survive on her own. I’m happy to report that she reached out to a few girls on Instagram from the accepted student page.

She connected with one and that one created a group chat with about a dozen girls. She’s thrilled! Hopefully this will lead to some good connections because she’s had some friend struggles in HS.

Look forward to hearing about everyone rlse’s decisions. What are your kids doing about finding roommates? Orientation?

Congrats to your DD.

Still waiting on last two schools. 3/20 and 4/1 she will hear.

We are still waiting as well. It should be by April 1 for the last school. We received financial aid information from University of Michigan. It was actually better than I expected. It would still cost twice as much as the school in California, so it's basically off his list. That was my last hope for having him stay in Michigan. Even if he chose Michigan tech (8 hour drive) that's still closer than California! Lol.

I started talking about vacation, and mentioned that I have a room booked at Boardwalk Villas for food and wine. My son said he didn't know we were going to food and wine. I jokingly said I didn't need to tell you because you aren't going to be here anyway. My husband overheard and said where is he going to be. My son says um college. Lol. It was kind of funny, but this is definitely going to be hard to get used to!

We are still waiting as well. It should be by April 1 for the last school. We received financial aid information from University of Michigan. It was actually better than I expected. It would still cost twice as much as the school in California, so it's basically off his list. That was my last hope for having him stay in Michigan. Even if he chose Michigan tech (8 hour drive) that's still closer than California! Lol.

I started talking about vacation, and mentioned that I have a room booked at Boardwalk Villas for food and wine. My son said he didn't know we were going to food and wine. I jokingly said I didn't need to tell you because you aren't going to be here anyway. My husband overheard and said where is he going to be. My son says um college. Lol. It was kind of funny, but this is definitely going to be hard to get used to!

Good luck!

Lol I have a trip planned with my three besties for 2019 Food and wine. No kids! They are all upset! We are celebrating late that we all have HS grads this year. Think we totally deserve it! Have fun!

DS still has not heard from Michigan yet, they still have not downloaded his 1st semester grades:sad2: He has already pretty much decided on Michigan Tech, even if he does get in to U of M. He realizes a free ride is an awesome deal :dogdance:

@StephMK Congratulations to your DD on making her decision, it is a relief to be able to move forward. Hope she finds some great roommates! Also glad you enjoyed seeing MSU. They are having their issues, but it still is a great school.

DS has a GroupMe chat going on with other students who also are going to MTU and doing AFROTC; the lieutenant there suggested it may make sense for many of them to room together or nearby, since they will be going through the same challenges together and would be a good support system. We are going in a few weeks to preview weekend, my first trip to the UP further than just across the bridge!

@Mickeypooh99, isn't it crazy that it will be cheaper for your DS to go to school across the country than going instate? You would think the State of Michigan would want to offer incentives to keep their talented students from leaving the nest.

It feels weird not to be planning a grad party. We gave DS the choice of a party or spring break trip of his choosing, so he is going to Whistler, BC skiing with his BF and a couple other friends. Less stress on my part, although not cheaper!

I graduated in 1981 too. Went with girl friends to prom, so much fun!!

DD will be going with group of friends boy and girls, not a lot of dating at her school. Only 109 in her class.

She took her state DECA test yesterday event is first weekend of March so she is studying a lot to prep.

I signed papers yesterday on our new home in MA and getting condo here in WA ready to put on market in April.

Thankful we have a fun weekend over Presidents’ Day. Seeing Hamilton Sunday and driving down to Portland that night-Tuesday.

When we get back it will be full speed ahead and total crazy town! Happy we already have her prom dress and shoes.

Congratulations on the new acceptances!
Hope you loved Hamilton! It was amazing! We are plotting our options for when it comes to Michigan next year.pixiedust:

My daughter is pretty much set on picking Michigan State. She was there two days in a row for the ADS scholarship competition weekend and really fell for Lyman Briggs, the Honor's College, and everything else she encountered. She has a high school classmate that she is planning to room with. She went to Campus Days at U of Michigan last Monday with her dad and wasn't overly impressed. I haven't been to either campus so I really have no opinion. The two schools will cost pretty much the same so that isn't a consideration at all. She is going to at least one more U of M student reception event which will net her a 2022 t-shirt, but I really think she is going to pass on that school. I really wish she would go to Oakland where she got the most money but she really can't for her major.

Last edited:
DD is getting a bit freaked out about choosing the wrong school, waiting to hear from her other two schools is so stressful for her. I felt a bit helpless, trying to talk her down. End of March can’t get here fast enough!

DD is getting a bit freaked out about choosing the wrong school, waiting to hear from her other two schools is so stressful for her. I felt a bit helpless, trying to talk her down. End of March can’t get here fast enough!

DD was freaked out a bit when it came down to putting in the deposit, choosing housing, etc. We just reassured her that her decision was not irrevocable and if push comes to shove she could transfer. She is very happy with the college she chose she just wanted to know she had options if she was miserable (beyond the ordinary growing pains of leaving home).

DD was freaked out a bit when it came down to putting in the deposit, choosing housing, etc. We just reassured her that her decision was not irrevocable and if push comes to shove she could transfer. She is very happy with the college she chose she just wanted to know she had options if she was miserable (beyond the ordinary growing pains of leaving home).

We talked about all of that too. Know she will be happy at any of her 4 choices. Such a big first adult decision to make.

Happy your DD found the right school.

I just found out DS is rotarty student of the month for February! I'm proud of him. He's really worked hard. He will be honored at a luncheon.

I feel like March is going to drag on forever with the waiting. DS is so nonchalant about it. It's driving me crazy! Lol.

Congrats to your son.

My girl got it for October. It’s a very nice recognition for them.

Right! I do too. Our March is busy though so hopefully it won’t drag to much.

DECA State this weekend

Packing and getting our condo ready to go on market march 31

Working 3-4 days a week, also volunteer at school on Monday’s

Random school events

College decisions 3/30-4/1

her birthday is the 29th

We leave for spring break 3/30-4/7 to MA

AFTER we get home it will be super crazy with packing, all the senior events, prom, parties and graduation on June 1. We plan on moving June 6.

My son has heard from two of the three schools he applied to. The third was his first choice, but now that he has received a scholarship offer to his second choice, and has visited, and has applied to the honors program there, he is leaning towards going there.

First choice school is local, second choice is 2.5 hours away. As much as I want him here, I am excited for him to go away and experience college life.

So, at this time, it looks like he may be going to UNC Asheville.

He still has no real idea of what he wants to study. He knowns he wants to minor in theater and be involved in the productions. He has been in every production of his high school so far and is on the Improv team.

He also has gotten a scholarship for Western Carolina. We are a bit surprised. Full tuition. (Tuition is only $1000 starting next year, so nothing too exciting!) but NC schools don't tend to give scholarships unless you are at the top of the class, which he is not.

Still hasn't decided.

DD received her financial aid package updated after FAFSA. Getting another $11,000 in grants per year and work study for another $2,000to Regis! Just making me love this school even more and so is DD!!! 13 days until she hears from Boston College. Don’t think they will come close to aid. Will have to see and do the math.

DD received her financial aid package updated after FAFSA. Getting another $11,000 in grants per year and work study for another $2,000to Regis! Just making me love this school even more and so is DD!!! 13 days until she hears from Boston College. Don’t think they will come close to aid. Will have to see and do the math.

So envious of people who GET something after FAFSA. Haven't gotten DS' yet, but DD got $0. Expected, but still.....

So envious of people who GET something after FAFSA. Haven't gotten DS' yet, but DD got $0. Expected, but still.....

Probably because of my limited income, widowed mom. I can help with part but she knows loans are going to happen also.

Hope your DS gets some!

So you're jealous of people with less income and resources than you?

So you're jealous of people with less income and resources than you?

I will admit to being jealous of people who get to go to college for free or get a lot of aid! College is expensive. I mean, my husband and I both work and have a houseful of kids and it would be nice if we didn't have to work so much to provide college to our kids while some people don't have to. I see people work the system all the time with parents not getting married to stay eligible for grants, or working for cash and crying poor. It makes me nuts that out of state students can pay less than my in-state kid to go to our state schools. It is easy to feel it's unfair that others don't have to pay the same price. Of course everyone's situations are unique. I don't envy people that have been knocked down by life and can't get ahead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!