Parents of Class of 2018 thread

I wish we didn’t have to worry about getting aid either. If my husband were still alive we wouldn’t be.

For what’s it worth. Grandparents opened accounts for all the grandkids and we have one too. It’s the only way my girl can go the school. I saved every penny I could also and have life insurance money that was earmarked for college. She will also be working and knows loans will be a happening.

My girl has lost enough and am proud that I’m able to help her dreams come true and know my husband is proud of us both!

Last edited:
I don't begrudge anyone getting financial aid, but it is annoying how most middle class families won't qualify for aid. College is incredibly expensive for the kids these days. I remember working a summer job, and earning enough to pay my tuition each year. It just doesn't work that way now. Kids are stuck with loans that some spend years paying off. Since there is only so much aid available it has to go to those who need it most.

The one thing that really bothers me is when DS was messing around with the financial aid calculators before actually filling out fafsa, he came up with an amount we would qualify for. It was more than I expected so I asked if he included the college savings we have for him. He had forgotten to include it. He went and redid it with that savings, and it lowered the annual aid we would get by exactly a quarter of the amount we have saved. So if we had just spent that money instead of saving it we would get it back in financial aid. We fully expected loans, but he has an offer from one school that he will graduate with no debt. It's money from the school not federal aid. We are lucky he applied at and was accepted to a school that is very generous with aid. My youngest will probably go to community college, and we have enough saved to send him there.

I'm not sure how I missed this thread for the last 3 1/2 years! DS17 is set to graduate this spring and we are thrilled/terrified for him. We are also not entirely sure how he can be 17 already!! He has heard from three of his five schools. He got into two and not the third. The last two should let him know by the end of this month. This limbo time has been really stressful for me. He heard from the two acceptances way back in November (rolling admissions at both schools), but his other choices have much later decision dates. We have even gone ahead and paid the housing deposit at one school (it's refundable if he chooses another school) just to make sure he's in the housing lottery in a good spot. DS still really wants his pool of options to be larger before he decides, but I am not as optimistic. I have been distracting myself by creating a shopping list for him on amazon!

I'm not sure how I missed this thread for the last 3 1/2 years! DS17 is set to graduate this spring and we are thrilled/terrified for him. We are also not entirely sure how he can be 17 already!! He has heard from three of his five schools. He got into two and not the third. The last two should let him know by the end of this month. This limbo time has been really stressful for me. He heard from the two acceptances way back in November (rolling admissions at both schools), but his other choices have much later decision dates. We have even gone ahead and paid the housing deposit at one school (it's refundable if he chooses another school) just to make sure he's in the housing lottery in a good spot. DS still really wants his pool of options to be larger before he decides, but I am not as optimistic. I have been distracting myself by creating a shopping list for him on amazon!

9 days into March, and the waiting is terrible. I'm not working right now so time is dragging by. I've been trying to distract myself by planning a side trip (mini vacation) to Disneyland after we take DS to college in the fall. Of course he hasn't actually decided on which school, and may not even end up in California. Maybe I'll do the Amazon list. That's a great idea!

My daughter heard back from University of Georgia in Athens on Friday. She and her friend had baked 2 cakes - one said Congrats and the other said something I can't post on here.
They looked up their results and then she texted me a picture of the cake they were eating. It had me ROTFL. Neither got in to that college. They only took 2 AP classes for the last 3 years and neither had really strong essays and most students who get in take a full load of AP classes so we knew it was a long shot.

She's actually happy though because she did get into the other college that she really liked when we toured it. So she paid her deposit which I'm not sure what it was for. Probably placement or something and now she has to wait a couple of days to do the housing stuff. I know she's excited about this college since she did that without my prompting.

She never did apply to the 3rd college because she heard back from the one she really liked that she got in. She was happy not to be dealing with writing that essay anymore.

Next up is for her to do the housing stuff and find out when the student orientation day is.
She hasn't gotten any scholarships even though she's been applying but I know she qualifies for HOPE and if she doesn't have to write an essay for it the Zell Miller Scholarship. We need to find out the rules for that one. If it involves an essay I'm sure she won't want to do it because she told me she is so over doing college essays.

Next fall we will have 2 college students and we will be sort of empty nesters! I'm sure she'll be coming home to visit often. She already said she will miss the cats who hang out with her all the time.

So you're jealous of people with less income and resources than you?

Yes, because I think the whole system is grossly unfair. If you are in the "middle" class, you basically get nothing. And, that includes people with pretty modest incomes. The rich....they don't care. The poor, they get aid. The great middle is being priced out of college, and quickly, and that's just wrong. Costs are skyrocketing (certainly far faster than inflation) and aid is decreasing. Our system of higher education funding absolutely sucks. As another poster indicated, there's a lot of gaming of the system that occurs. We didn't "game it" at all. We played it straight ahead. The higher end privates are absolutely out of reach for my family (because we'd get nothing, and have to foot the bill entirely), and that seems a little unfair, no?

9 days into March, and the waiting is terrible. I'm not working right now so time is dragging by. I've been trying to distract myself by planning a side trip (mini vacation) to Disneyland after we take DS to college in the fall. Of course he hasn't actually decided on which school, and may not even end up in California. Maybe I'll do the Amazon list. That's a great idea!
So we heard from both schools. One yes, one no. So his totals are: 3 yes, 2 no, 0 decisions! We go back to his current first choice on Friday. It's also the least expensive and the best program for him, so my fingers are crossed that he really likes it and commits.

DS was accepted to 1 more college last Friday. UCLA. That's the 2nd California school. :sad: So far that's 4 accepted and 2 still waiting. It should be by the end of next week I would hope! One says March 28. One says by April 1. I can't imagine they'd release decisions on Easter Sunday, so hopefully sooner.

My son got a No from MIT so he will be attending Public University in FL on full scholarship for his undergrad. I am relieved actually, as he can use what we have saved for him to attend grad school. Super proud of him and his Committment to his education. He will be a member of the Honors Program as well.

We need to sign up for Orientation, choose his dorm room when the system opens in May, and get things for his dorm room. It’s an exciting time for our kids.

I know this is a long thread so it may have been touched on, but is anyone dealing with athletic recruiting? DD has been accepted into a few schools, but now a local state school is recruiting her for track. This is not a school she was ever looking at in the first place and it's a tier below what she was accepted to. I'm trying to let this pass, but having trouble keeping my opinion to myself. It's obviously causing a lot of friction. Any thoughts to snap me out of this are welcome.

I know this is a long thread so it may have been touched on, but is anyone dealing with athletic recruiting? DD has been accepted into a few schools, but now a local state school is recruiting her for track. This is not a school she was ever looking at in the first place and it's a tier below what she was accepted to. I'm trying to let this pass, but having trouble keeping my opinion to myself. It's obviously causing a lot of friction. Any thoughts to snap me out of this are welcome.

No help on recruitment. Would your DD be happy there? Does it have her major? What are they offering for aid?
Are the other schools offering aid or sports scholarships?
If you are able to swing her other choices then having her go to a high tier school sounds like a better option, especially if she will be happy at one of those.

Good luck!

No help on recruitment. Would your DD be happy there? Does it have her major? What are they offering for aid?
Are the other schools offering aid or sports scholarships?
If you are able to swing her other choices then having her go to a high tier school sounds like a better option, especially if she will be happy at one of those.

Good luck!

She's getting academic money at all schools and NO sports money at either...including the one recruiting her. I think she's just reluctant to let go of sports, which I get to a point. Her other schools are Division 1 which she will have to try out for. Currently, she is undecided but has a few interests. Unfortunately the only thing she does know is that she likes being an athlete. We obviously don't want her choosing a school for sports.

My concern is that while she's being wined and dined right now, she will not be happy there. Granted this school has changed over the last twenty years, I still think it has the stigma of a suitcase school with a large commuter population. The school is good and will likely be cheaper, but (and I hate that I sound so snobby) I think she can do better.

Last edited:
I dealt with it two years ago. I had to learn a lot about it.

PM me if you want to talk more. Warning, though, my son loves it!

Final decision gets released today....finally!!!!
Hopefully by tonight will know where my girl will be going!

Good luck!!!! Nice the wait will finally be over!

My son got a No from MIT so he will be attending Public University in FL on full scholarship for his undergrad. I am relieved actually, as he can use what we have saved for him to attend grad school. Super proud of him and his Committment to his education. He will be a member of the Honors Program as well.

We need to sign up for Orientation, choose his dorm room when the system opens in May, and get things for his dorm room. It’s an exciting time for our kids.

It sounds like it worked out and he will be very fortunate to have it all paid for!

DD is so excited about starting school! I have to keep reminding her that she has one more quarter to get through! She’s signed up for orientation but hasn’t done anything about housing yet.

She connected online with a girl coming cross country but she hadn’t committed yet. DD is hoping when the girl visits the school in April, that she will go. Then hopefully still be interested in rooming with DD.

DD is not a partier at all and wants to live in the dorm that houses honors on two floors. The rest is general but it’s the least expensive suite option and figure a dorm known for honors might house less partiers. Or at least kids who will study!

He guys! I'm a parent from your future ... or at least the "Parents of 2017" thread. I'm popping in to let you know that Kohl's has their "Big One" mattress topper on sale in a Twin XL for $39.99. You get 30% off using code "UPGRADE30" (I think that's the code).

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2...foam-mattress-topper.jsp?pfm=rrrecs-pdp-gtab1

My DD has this pad on her bed in college and likes it and it's less than $30. Note, the XLs are usually not in the store but you can order anything not available in the store (but available online) by ordering from the kiosk at the store and they will send it to you for free.

He guys! I'm a parent from your future ... or at least the "Parents of 2017" thread. I'm popping in to let you know that Kohl's has their "Big One" mattress topper on sale in a Twin XL for $39.99. You get 30% off using code "UPGRADE30" (I think that's the code).

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2...foam-mattress-topper.jsp?pfm=rrrecs-pdp-gtab1

My DD has this pad on her bed in college and likes it and it's less than $30. Note, the XLs are usually not in the store but you can order anything not available in the store (but available online) by ordering from the kiosk at the store and they will send it to you for free.

From someone even more in the future - I made the mistake of giving ours away (it was a regular length twin and perfectly fine for 5'10" dd) when dd moved into an apartment. Now she's off to a semester "abroad," which is actually closer to home than her school, and we don't have one for the dorm! So thanks! One problem solved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!