Parents of College Class of 2018 (A.K.A., "Is this the line to the poor house?")

I am in MN, so -27 is nothing new, but we haven't had it in 3 years, and it was the WORST possible day to have it. it's going to be 35 today LOL.
They will buy all their bedding and towels and stuff over there. I think exchange rates are still pretty good, but I really have nothing to compare it too.

I looked at a historical exchange rate chart. It's at $1.23 US dollar = 1 British pound. When I was in school there, the rate was $1.68 dollar per 1 pound, so yes, there is more bang for the buck now! Your weather sounds bitter cold! I hope you are staying warm!

Last edited:
I looked at a historical exchange rate chart. It's at $1.23 US dollar = 1 British pound. When I was in school there, the rate was $1.68 dollar per 1 pound, so yes, there is more bang for the buck now! Your whether sounds bitter cold! I hope you are staying warm!
Oddly, it got really warm! We went from -27 on Sunday morning to 40 on Tuesday. It's been upper 30's every day since, and possible thunderstorms on Christmas day. Crazy!
Glad to know we are getting good value in England, I surely had nothing to compare it too LOL.

I've been seeing all the Class of XXXX and it's made me wonder about this class. It's been a few more months and the end of year 3 is near. What's everyone up to?

DD got her card yesterday notifying her that she has the required hours to order a class ring. My wallet is thankful for her lack of interest. She didn't want a high school ring and still sees it as a waste of money for something that she would never wear- just not her style. And really in our state, unless you go to TAMU, they aren't very popular especially with girls.

DD has a beach trip planned for Spring Break with a group of friends and then will come home for a couple of days at the second weekend for her cousin's wedding. By then, it will have been about 2 months since I've seen her so I'm looking forward to it.

She's applying for internships for the Summer. She still has the part-time job that she started freshman year and the internship that she started last Summer, but since she won't be taking any summer classes, she thinks that she'll have time for something else part-time. She's planning a trip to Vegas, leaving on her birthday, with her cousin and their boyfriends to celebrate all of their 21st birthdays this past year so I don't know yet if we'll see her much this summer.

She's still on track to graduate next May. I'm looking forward to the last one being off our payroll. Starting to pray that she lands a great job a year from now.

How's everyone else?

Last edited:
My dd has been in England since January 10th. That was a rough couple of days for me. She is having a good time, but it's different, she does miss some things about home. She is glad to be there though. We leave to see her in 35 days!! So excited, but so not ready to go, need shoes, coat etc etc LOL.

She will have no problem getting her film degree next May, but yesterday she discovered she may have an issue getting the 2nd major in May. She needs two more writing classes, but the only one they are offering this summer and fall is one she already has, so if they don't offer two in the spring (that she hasn't taken) she will have a big issue. This spring they only offered one. So, that would mean another entire semester to get her 2nd degree, for one lousy class. That's a lot of room and board fees for one class :-(.

I am hoping she comes home after graduation, but I am not sure she will. (but I am also not sure her degrees will get her a $$$ right out the door) She panicked and started thinking she needed to go to grad school (for screenwriting). I told her if that is what she wants, then look into it. But don't do it just because you think it's what you need to do. Weigh the cost of loans that you will need versus the benefit of a grad school for that field. I told her she is young, and she can live at home for free for awhile and take her time ending up in the right place for her. Just because you graduate doesn't mean you have to fly and be super woman right off the bat. No pressures.

She is currently doing copyediting for a professor at her US School, online while she is overseas, and for the rest of the calendar year. It's a good gig for someone like her. Great pay for the amount of work it is, and it's good work for a resume.

that's our story LOL.

My dd has been in England since January 10th. That was a rough couple of days for me. She is having a good time, but it's different, she does miss some things about home. She is glad to be there though. We leave to see her in 35 days!! So excited, but so not ready to go, need shoes, coat etc etc LOL.

She will have no problem getting her film degree next May, but yesterday she discovered she may have an issue getting the 2nd major in May. She needs two more writing classes, but the only one they are offering this summer and fall is one she already has, so if they don't offer two in the spring (that she hasn't taken) she will have a big issue. This spring they only offered one. So, that would mean another entire semester to get her 2nd degree, for one lousy class. That's a lot of room and board fees for one class :-(.

I am hoping she comes home after graduation, but I am not sure she will. (but I am also not sure her degrees will get her a $$$ right out the door) She panicked and started thinking she needed to go to grad school (for screenwriting). I told her if that is what she wants, then look into it. But don't do it just because you think it's what you need to do. Weigh the cost of loans that you will need versus the benefit of a grad school for that field. I told her she is young, and she can live at home for free for awhile and take her time ending up in the right place for her. Just because you graduate doesn't mean you have to fly and be super woman right off the bat. No pressures.

She is currently doing copyediting for a professor at her US School, online while she is overseas, and for the rest of the calendar year. It's a good gig for someone like her. Great pay for the amount of work it is, and it's good work for a resume.

that's our story LOL.

How exciting for your daughter and you! I love England.

DD considered a study abroad for this summer but eventually decided against it. If we can hang on for 3 more semesters she will graduate without debt. Study Abroad would have required a loan. The more she thought about it, she eventually decided that her internships are better for her resume and as she matures and sees the end so near- she's starting to see the benefit of no student loan debt. She now hopes to plan a great trip to Europe for her first grown up- working adult vacation.

Can she take the two classes online? Even from a different school and transfer it in? That's too bad that it could add a semester.

DD has no plans to come home after graduation. We live in a smaller isolated city with zero opportunities for a Design management major. Her college choice was based partly on being in an area with internship and eventual job opportunities. Depending on job prospects, she may go straight into grad school but hopes to go to work and evaluate that later.

Dd is really enjoying her accounting internship (3 full days a week, great pay), plus she's still waitressing on the weekend. Her program is 5 years, but she expects to graduate in 4 1/2. Then she will decide if she will go right on to graduate school. I think if she does, she can get help studying for her CPA. She really has no free time!

How exciting for your daughter and you! I love England.

DD considered a study abroad for this summer but eventually decided against it. If we can hang on for 3 more semesters she will graduate without debt. Study Abroad would have required a loan. The more she thought about it, she eventually decided that her internships are better for her resume and as she matures and sees the end so near- she's starting to see the benefit of no student loan debt. She now hopes to plan a great trip to Europe for her first grown up- working adult vacation.

Can she take the two classes online? Even from a different school and transfer it in? That's too bad that it could add a semester.

DD has no plans to come home after graduation. We live in a smaller isolated city with zero opportunities for a Design management major. Her college choice was based partly on being in an area with internship and eventual job opportunities. Depending on job prospects, she may go straight into grad school but hopes to go to work and evaluate that later.

I know the other schools that are affiliated with her school have no writing classes. I did tell her to touch base with her advisor to see if he has any ideas. I don't know if she could transfer an online class from somewhere else. Hopefully her advisor has some thoughts.
I posted I don't know if she will come home after graduation, my more immediate wonder is will she stay home for the summer after she gets back from England LOL. She kinda wants to go back and work at the theater, but she could only work for 2 months barely, because once school starts one job will be enough (well two I guess, she works at two theaters, but one if very few hours here and there), so why not just stay home right??? LOL. I can hope!

I finally have a minute to catch up. We have the college stuff as my daughter puts it on hold because things are so busy. She did write a few trial common app essays for an English assignment. She really wants to go to school in LA (we don't live in CA). We have 3 weeks left of school with finals. Term papers are done. Projects, tests, recitals, camping trips and performances still going on- then the dreaded finals. DD is a good hard working student, though she is not a very good test taker, fine with essays but terrible with other types of tests especailly standardized tests. We don't have her ACT scores yet as she took hers under special testing at her school and we can only get the results via snail mail. She wants to retake them in June but I don't know if she will be in town enough to do that. We hope to finalize some of our summer plans this weekend inbetween performances.

We have looked at 4 colleges and she has stayed at 2 others for brief summer programs. 3 of them last year and one this year. Here is our what we saw:

University of California at Santa Barbara (UCSB) as her college counselor has said it is imprinted in every high school kid he knows to love this school when they visit. It has its own beach, lots of vibrant healthy looking kids biking and skate boarding to class, they serve sushi in the cafeteria. The school is known for undergraduate research. It is part of the UC state school system so like other CA schools it is suffering from tough economic times making it hard to get the classes a person needs to graduate in 4 years. It appeared to be strong in the sciences and ok in the arts. It also has a reputation for being a somewhat demanding academic school while also being a pretty heavy duty partying school. If anyone is interested in Dance it is modern based and does require an audition. Theatre department is small. Both programs are BA until you are student for a year and then you can apply for a BFA. All CA public schools have minimum requirements to apply including specific courses and gpas they require. Double majors are allowed. DD will probably apply but it is not one of her top choices.

University of Southern California (USC)- large private school, fairly competitive for admission. DD was a bit overwhelmed at first but came to really like the school for the programs it offers. They offer a pretty top notch film school and theatre school. A new school of dance is opening in 2015. They have a lot of beautiful science, gaming and engineering buildings. Some of the liberal arts like philosophy seem to not have the popularity or money of a department like computer science. Marshall business school is extensive. Has large following for its football team and they just recruited a new coach for men's basketball to try and up that program. We know several students that run track for USC. Athletics are a big deal. Campus is lovely old buildings combined with newer buildings in a middle class area of LA. Some sketchy neighborhoods as you get further from campus. DD will apply but it's a reach for her. Theatre BFA requires an audition/portfolio review, BA requires an interview.

University of California at Irvine (UCI). This is in suburbs. This is pretty close to Disneyland!!! It has a 1970s feel with some newer style buildings. The campus is a large circle. The dorms are tiny and the ones we saw are a bit odd. The dance studios are excellent as is the dance departments reputation. It includes dance, modern, jazz and has a more mixed feel then one specialty. Appeared to be a bit boring on weekends with students returning home but we could have misread that. Suffers from the same problems as other CA University problems. DD will probably apply. The dance department requires an audition as well as separate admission to the University.

Southern Methodist University (SMU)- a medium size private school in Dallas, TX. Pretty campus, old buildings, religious affiliation is not very strong if it even exists any more. Has a real Texas corporate feel. There is a lot of affiliation between the schools and business looking for employees. The theatre program is narrow and exclusive. They admit 25 students a year and it is BFA, with no option to double major. Highly selective for Dance and Theatre. Not sure about the rest of the school. DD will not apply.

Occidental College- we did not tour here but DD went to a 2 week dance program here two summers ago. The campus is a bit run down, and suburban. The academics are supposed to be very good with a strong liberal arts program.

CA State Northridge (CSUN)- DD went to a program run by the Joffrey Ballet and housed at CSUN. She lived in a very nice suite style dorm for a month. The dance and performance facilities were beautiful and well equipped. It is a large school physically. Not really near anything but about an hour from LA on a good day.

Colleges we would like to learn more about so if anyone has any information on any of the following or any we have not listed we look forward to hearing about your adventures:
Loyola Marymount
CA State Long Beach
CA State Fullerton
Colorado State
Florida State
Tulane
Elon
University of Maryland (DH has his undergrad from here but that was a really long time ago and current info would be greatly appreciated)
American University (current information. I have my Masters from here but it was a long time ago)

I hope eveyone survives the end of school, finals and tears as senior friends move on. Good luck putting your lists together. Lets keep posting about schools even you end up eliminating them. A school that is not a match for your DD or DS maybe for someone elses.

Have a good weekend.

We are looking at CSUN and CSLB as well. CSUN would meet the needs of my oldest (he will finish CC this next year) and both would be fine for my middle. But we are moving back to CA in the summer of 2018, so they could potentially live at home too for a while too, esp. that first year when we have to pay out of state tuition.

DH went to USC. I told my boys that if they want to go there, let's focus on GRAD programs there as a 4 year plus grad school would be astronomical. We are also looking at Azusa Pacific Univ. They have what middle son needs, but he would need some scholarships or we can't afford it. I went there for grad school.

How's it going for everyone? DS will graduate in December 2017 so I guess officially I don't fit in the thread anymore. ;) His plan is to go to grad school officially in fall 2018 but will start with some classes in Jan 2018.

We've had an interesting semester. DS was home for a few days over spring break and had a collapsed lung. We were in ICU with him for a week including surgery. It made for a very different spring for all of us. He is fully recovered now and didn't miss much in the way of classes. He is done next week but is staying at school for the summer. He has an apartment and a job. It will be different. My other ds, is finished with his college freshman year next week as well and he can't wait to be home for the summer.

Can you believe we have kids this old??? How is everyone doing?

How's it going for everyone? DS will graduate in December 2017 so I guess officially I don't fit in the thread anymore. ;) His plan is to go to grad school officially in fall 2018 but will start with some classes in Jan 2018.

We've had an interesting semester. DS was home for a few days over spring break and had a collapsed lung. We were in ICU with him for a week including surgery. It made for a very different spring for all of us. He is fully recovered now and didn't miss much in the way of classes. He is done next week but is staying at school for the summer. He has an apartment and a job. It will be different. My other ds, is finished with his college freshman year next week as well and he can't wait to be home for the summer.

Wow that must have been a little scary! Glad he is fully recovered!
Ha, we won't make you leave because he is graduating in 2017 :-)

We just got back from visiting DD in England. It was hard to leave her again, and we left her alone in London, to spend the day/night and fly by herself to Berlin the next day. She is now safe and sound back in her school town. She comes home in 41 days, not that I am counting. I have no idea if she will stay home for the summer, or go back up to school. If I had to bet, I am guessing back to school.
She will graduate next May (assuming she can get those writing classes, well she will still graduate with one degree, just won't have the 2nd finished). Everything is up in the air after that.
Now that the England trip is done, I am going for WDW, for Food and Wine Fall 2018. It will be the first time all 4 of us have been there together since 2013 and the first time going when DD (my youngest) can drink at Food and Wine :-).

I've been spending more time dealing with my DD who is a junior this year in High School then my son who is at college - she got the flu and was out of school for a week which meant me having to pick her up and drop her off early until everything was made up, getting her registered for the ACT and the SAT and driving school so she can get her license and then today she slipped on wet bus stairs while getting off the bus at school and ended up on her back. I had to pick her up and then take her to the doctor to be checked out.
She ended up with a badly scraped back and it's sore but nothing is broken and she didn't hit her head. She has end of the course testing going on and is stressed about that and wants to go to school to get the testing done so I got a Doctor note for her so she won't have to carry a heavy backpack at school for the next couple of days to give her back time to heal. I can't believe she needs a Doctor note for that since the accident happened right at school but that's our school system for you.

It doesn't help that I'll be in Disney next week so I wouldn't be home to get her to and from school for anything she'd have to make up. And my husband works in Midtown so that's an hour to an hour and a half drive for him so he wouldn't be able to pick her up after school either.

Anyways back on topic - my son has decided to room with 2 different people next year. The dog situation has gotten on his last nerve and he is often the one getting stuck taking care of them on the weekend the dog owner has army reserves once a month. He has not been going back to the current apartment until evening either to avoid being the one to take them to the dog park every day after class - he has been studying in the library or hanging out with the 2 guys he's going to room with next year instead according to him.

He and the new roommates signed a lease on a house just a block from campus so he's excited about that. He will need to get some furniture so he's going to take his bedroom suite from here. The roommates already have living room and kitchen stuff so he's good there. I'm not sure how that will work when he comes home at holidays but we'll figure something out. Maybe an air mattress.
He stayed at college over Easter and said it was boring since everyone pretty much went home for the weekend. I told him he could do the same but he didn't want to. LOL

He said he's on track to pass all of his classes this semester. I noticed he's been doing some partying judging by the couple of facebook posts he's done and he continues to ask me for grocery money twice a month so I know he's alive. Otherwise I don't hear from him normally.

The dog situation has gotten on his last nerve and he is often the one getting stuck taking care of them on the weekend the dog owner has army reserves once a month. He has not been going back to the current apartment until evening either to avoid being the one to take them to the dog park every day after class - he has been studying in the library or hanging out with the 2 guys he's going to room with next year instead according to him.

This is just crazy to me!!!! Just wow.

My dd has an apt with two roomies, the one (a girl from her high school, a year younger, that she was really good friends with) has never spent one night in the apartment since we moved them in last June! She lives in her boyfriends apt. Her parents were clueless for a long time. She officially told them she would be moving out in May. She and her other roomie have been rather annoyed by this as they were expecting to be a group of 3, not 2 and 1 who might pop in to pick up something. Now the other roomies girlfriend is going to take her room, so it will be my dd, the original other roomie and his girlfriend and dd is quite happy about this. She really likes the girlfriend (and she is very picky on who she likes LOL). But at least I don't have to move anything at all this year!

Oh my goodness! I'm glad that he's recovering well.

This is just crazy to me!!!! Just wow.

My dd has an apt with two roomies, the one (a girl from her high school, a year younger, that she was really good friends with) has never spent one night in the apartment since we moved them in last June! She lives in her boyfriends apt. Her parents were clueless for a long time. She officially told them she would be moving out in May. She and her other roomie have been rather annoyed by this as they were expecting to be a group of 3, not 2 and 1 who might pop in to pick up something. Now the other roomies girlfriend is going to take her room, so it will be my dd, the original other roomie and his girlfriend and dd is quite happy about this. She really likes the girlfriend (and she is very picky on who she likes LOL). But at least I don't have to move anything at all this year!

DD had a similar situation last year- a phantom roommate who popped in very rarely but lived with her boyfriend. I told DD that if she ever decided to live somewhere else, just tell us. I don't want to pay rent on an apartment you're not using. But maybe some parents would be uncomfortable with them living with a Boyfriend.

My DD's close friend/roommate is graduating a year early. DD hasn't really bonded with the other two this year so she's moving this summer. She will live with another close friend and two other girls. She's looking forward to it.

She has one more week of class.

I haven't been on this website in months! I was poking around today and remembered this thread. I'm glad to read that everyone is doing well. I'm sorry to read about the bus slip and fall, and about the collapsed lung issues. Thankfully they are now in the distant past! The trip to England must have been amazing!

DD is still working at the cancer research center. She is also studying for the MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test) that she'll be taking in early August. This will be the longest exam she has ever sat for -- and the most difficult. Total "seated" time is over 7 1/2 hours which includes two 10 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch break. She can't even bring her phone to the testing center and going in to test is like entering a prison with regards to the way they check identity. Her lunch and car keys have to be put in a locker. She has been studying for the exam around 8 hours a day since she finished her spring semester in early May. She takes a full-length practice test one day and has one day off per week from studying and work to regenerate. This along with her job has kept her quite busy. I'm sure she will be glad when it's all over with.

I hope everyone is enjoying the summer! One more school year to go!!

I haven't been on this website in months! I was poking around today and remembered this thread. I'm glad to read that everyone is doing well. I'm sorry to read about the bus slip and fall, and about the collapsed lung issues. Thankfully they are now in the distant past! The trip to England must have been amazing!

DD is still working at the cancer research center. She is also studying for the MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test) that she'll be taking in early August. This will be the longest exam she has ever sat for -- and the most difficult. Total "seated" time is over 7 1/2 hours which includes two 10 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch break. She can't even bring her phone to the testing center and going in to test is like entering a prison with regards to the way they check identity. Her lunch and car keys have to be put in a locker. She has been studying for the exam around 8 hours a day since she finished her spring semester in early May. She takes a full-length practice test one day and has one day off per week from studying and work to regenerate. This along with her job has kept her quite busy. I'm sure she will be glad when it's all over with.

Wow, good for her! But that stressed me out just reading it LOL!!

Good luck to her on the MCAT. I'm sure you all will be happy when it's over. :)

Good luck to her on the MCAT.

It's hard to believe that there is only one year left. Our conversations with DD have turned to her plans a year from now. She's saving money toward what she will need for an apartment. Her student apartment is furnished. The time has sped by!

Wow, good for her! But that stressed me out just reading it LOL!!

Good luck to her on the MCAT. I'm sure you all will be happy when it's over. :)

Good luck to her on the MCAT.

It's hard to believe that there is only one year left. Our conversations with DD have turned to her plans a year from now. She's saving money toward what she will need for an apartment. Her student apartment is furnished. The time has sped by!

Thanks for the well wishes!

DD has also been saving for an apartment and is moving into one after her test next month. She found a nice set of gently used bedroom furniture on the Facebook marketplace. Went to pick it up yesterday and the stuff shifted in the back of the truck due to wind and one of the straps tearing. The bed headboard and the mirror to the dresser broke! Ugh... She still has the dresser and maybe the headboard can be repaired. Such is life.

Today we moved our son into the house he is renting with 2 others. The place is a pit. I was shocked at how bad it was and surprised the rental company could rent it in such bad condition.
I guess it's because it's a college area.
My son said it was the best of the ones he and his friends looked at. I didn't say anything to him about thinking how awful it was but yikes.
Carpet that should have been replaced about 10 years ago - its so thin it's not really carpet. The whole inside of the house needs repainting - paint peeling, marks everywhere and walls need repair because there was actual holes in them! My son said they've started a "ticket" with the rental company to get the holes repaired.

I need to keep telling myself that he is happy and the house fits his needs mostly but yuck. I just wanted to get in there and rip out the flooring and replace it and scrub the place down with bleach since it didn't seem to be cleaned between tenants. Thank goodness I'm not the one spending much time in the place.

His room at home is empty of furniture since he needed to bring it but he didn't box up everything else like I wanted so we can't paint his room while he was gone like I'd hoped.

But he's getting settled in the new place and is already enjoying his time with his friends before college starts next week so that's a good thing.

Today we moved our son into the house he is renting with 2 others. The place is a pit. I was shocked at how bad it was and surprised the rental company could rent it in such bad condition.
I guess it's because it's a college area.
My son said it was the best of the ones he and his friends looked at. I didn't say anything to him about thinking how awful it was but yikes.
Carpet that should have been replaced about 10 years ago - its so thin it's not really carpet. The whole inside of the house needs repainting - paint peeling, marks everywhere and walls need repair because there was actual holes in them! My son said they've started a "ticket" with the rental company to get the holes repaired.

I need to keep telling myself that he is happy and the house fits his needs mostly but yuck. I just wanted to get in there and rip out the flooring and replace it and scrub the place down with bleach since it didn't seem to be cleaned between tenants. Thank goodness I'm not the one spending much time in the place.

His room at home is empty of furniture since he needed to bring it but he didn't box up everything else like I wanted so we can't paint his room while he was gone like I'd hoped.

But he's getting settled in the new place and is already enjoying his time with his friends before college starts next week so that's a good thing.

I spent last week helping DD pack up and get ready to move. We also went "Back to School" shopping for the very last time and enjoyed the fact that she is now 21 by visiting some wine tasting rooms.

Yesterday was move-in day for her new townhouse. It was also my first day back at work after summer break so DH drove the 4 hours to help her move in.

Our big take away was that we are beyond doing the moving and decided that her grad gift will be movers to get her wherever she decides to go.

Good luck on year 4.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter