Parents of the Class of 2019

It's Homecoming Week! They're having a different dress-up theme each day. Do your schools do this? This year it's pajama day, tourist day, neon day (also school picture day so DD is bringing an extra top), Throwback Thursday, and school spirit. For Throwback, she thought most were doing a personal throwback instead of like 1980's so she's going to wear a t-shirt from drill team in 2008. Yes it's a child size 6/8 but she can get it on. Along with some flared jeans and a pair of Crocs. It will be just like her Elementary days :teeth:

They're bringing back the Homecoming parade this year so hopefully it gets enough participation.

Dress and date were acquired Labor Day weekend so we're all set!

It's Homecoming Week! They're having a different dress-up theme each day. Do your schools do this? This year it's pajama day, tourist day, neon day (also school picture day so DD is bringing an extra top), Throwback Thursday, and school spirit. For Throwback, she thought most were doing a personal throwback instead of like 1980's so she's going to wear a t-shirt from drill team in 2008. Yes it's a child size 6/8 but she can get it on. Along with some flared jeans and a pair of Crocs. It will be just like her Elementary days :teeth:

They're bringing back the Homecoming parade this year so hopefully it gets enough participation.

Dress and date were acquired Labor Day weekend so we're all set!

Yes, something different every day (elementary & MS observe as well).

I barely know what's going on at school any more since I hardly even see my daughter! At least when I was running ragged with taxi service, we chatted in the car a lot. Now I'm out of the loop it seems.

I do know they had spirit week when they were playing their cross town rivals. Can't remember (or probably never knew) all the themes, but I do recall "tropical day" (wearing Hawaiian shirts), tie-dye day, and hex day (where they all wore stuff from the other school?) Never did understand that. I think there might have been a hillbilly day? Anyway, that was an exciting week as my daughter got to experience her first high stakes tennis match (one they had a chance of winning anyway!) when she and her partner (#1 and #2 varsity) beat the cross town rivals. It went to a tie breaker, so it was a real nail biter. I'm so glad I was there watching.

Homecoming is coming up in a couple weeks. It's casual again here this year. They have to buy then wear the event t-shirt to get in. She wishes it was formal. I do too, until I try to figure out when we'd be doing that shopping!

Love the idea of throwback day!

ETA: Other theme was professional day where you were supposed to dress like the profession you wanted to pursue.

Yay on the high stakes tennis win :)

When I was in school, homecoming was more dressy-casual unless you were on court. DD loves to dress up, though. The shopping was a bit of a struggle! She looked at Dillard's a couple of times, tried on some too-expensive dresses at a bridal shop, then we decided to order online. Size chart matched her measurements, but the size 0 was huge and impossible to alter that much! Sent that back and headed back to Dillard's where she chose one, but then we decided on another at David's Bridal. The waist was too big, but my mom took it in. Whew! I'm hoping she gets to use this dress again sometime, but our winter dances are casual.

DD is gone a lot now too, but she is a talker so I still hear a lot! She is in a group that sings the Anthem at home games, and she's had Homecoming activities and such. Soon it will be play practice. It's good that she's busy because she really misses her sister at college. I think she could use a long talk with her again. DD is having friend issues and I don't get to know the details, yet, but I have some idea. When DD18 comes home I'm sure she'll get the scoop. But I know DD16 and one friend would really like to remove themselves from the group. DD has also gotten closer this year to two other girls who are so much nicer and positive, so she has options. But it's a small school where you can't get away from anyone, so the trick is to gradually distance yourself without causing any trouble. The problem friends will still be heavily involved in DD's activities, so she feels she has to act like she's okay with them. I hate that she has to deal with this.

I think they do a themed spirit week for homecoming week, but my son is always so anti-homecoming (or other social events) that we don't even ask anymore. I'm sure he's not planning on going to homecoming again - he went his freshman year and met up with a bunch of friends, but that was the last school social event he did. :(

He's now had his first car accident. :( His fault - he had a bus in front of him and once the bus turned the corner, he didn't look back up to see that the light had turned red, so he started through the intersection. Slammed on his brakes, but clipped the back end of a car that was coming the other way. Fortunately, it was (relatively) minor damage which we're going to be able to pay (well, he's going to pay ;) ) out of pocket so as to keep it off insurance. Hopefully, he's come out of this a much safer driver.

He's now had his first car accident. :( His fault - he had a bus in front of him and once the bus turned the corner, he didn't look back up to see that the light had turned red, so he started through the intersection. Slammed on his brakes, but clipped the back end of a car that was coming the other way. Fortunately, it was (relatively) minor damage which we're going to be able to pay (well, he's going to pay ;) ) out of pocket so as to keep it off insurance. Hopefully, he's come out of this a much safer driver.

Oh shoot, I dread the day when one of the girls gets in an accident. The closest DD16 has come is clipping the back leg of a deer. It was her first time driving at night and when she turned on to the gravel, she said she felt like there was going to be a deer (when we left earlier, a deer had run across the road but quite a ways in front of her). Well, on the next mile there it was. DH insists that DD hit the gas instead of the brake, but I couldn't tell you. There was a little thump on the tire, but the deer ran away so I think she barely touched him but it shook her up. DD18 hit one that broke her headlight, but that's been it.

Having older kids, having them on your insurance stinks. Dd21, in the past 4 months, has caused 2 accidents, and received a speeding ticket. She hit someone from behind driving slowly, looking for a parking spot, and backed out of a parking spot into someone. Insurance paid the first claim (no collision, her vehicle was totaled), she paid OOP for the second, and paid a double fine to avoid points with the ticket. Plus she had to replace her vehicle. I think she spent about $10,000, and she's a very frugal person, so hopefully she becomes more careful. Ds19 caused an accident this summer.

Dd16 is a late bloomer, and has bloomed. She's my middle child of 5, and has always been my stepford child (her friends and sibling would agree). She's the type to make color coded charts for school, dance, sports, sticking to a rigid calendar to fit it all in (including snack breaks). She wanted me to reschedule her SAT tutor because she didn't get her homework done due to going down the shore with friends (nope, she pulled an all nighter), is complaining that she is missing 20 minutes from lunch 4 days a week because of AP classes (and we have open lunch, so they drive off campus, but now she will be stuck behind), has a boyfriend who lives a half hour away and is always asking for rides, is attached to social media... She always put school first, dance second, xc/friends third (she has a great friend group). I knew it wouldn't last forever, but this is junior year! She has psats/sats, 12 hours of dance a week, xc/track, HS musical, top choir, 6 academic classes - why did she have to gain 15 pounds and hit puberty?! I guess we had a good run, dd21 was a hormonal girl starting at 10.

Homecoming is not for a few weeks for us. DD is actively working on the booth and they just booked the banquet hall for the senior prom for May 2019.

I barely know what's going on at school any more since I hardly even see my daughter! At least when I was running ragged with taxi service, we chatted in the car a lot. Now I'm out of the loop it seems.

I do know they had spirit week when they were playing their cross town rivals. Can't remember (or probably never knew) all the themes, but I do recall "tropical day" (wearing Hawaiian shirts), tie-dye day, and hex day (where they all wore stuff from the other school?) Never did understand that. I think there might have been a hillbilly day? Anyway, that was an exciting week as my daughter got to experience her first high stakes tennis match (one they had a chance of winning anyway!) when she and her partner (#1 and #2 varsity) beat the cross town rivals. It went to a tie breaker, so it was a real nail biter. I'm so glad I was there watching.

Homecoming is coming up in a couple weeks. It's casual again here this year. They have to buy then wear the event t-shirt to get in. She wishes it was formal. I do too, until I try to figure out when we'd be doing that shopping!

Love the idea of throwback day!

ETA: Other theme was professional day where you were supposed to dress like the profession you wanted to pursue.

EVERY day is "hillbilly day" around here LOL

Last year was supposed to be hillbilly day but they changed it to "western" so as not to offend any hillbillies I guess :teeth:
They were supposed to have "Hawaiian day" at our school but swapped it out for "tropical day" so as not to affend the Samoans at school. It's hard to keep up sometimes.

What's everyone doing about PSAT's/SAT's/ACT's? Dd is taking psats next month (only offered to juniors), and I'm thinking SAT's in November, and SAT's October.

What's everyone doing about PSAT's/SAT's/ACT's? Dd is taking psats next month (only offered to juniors), and I'm thinking SAT's in November, and SAT's October.
They had kids take the PSAT's at school last year. My daughter took the ACT in June. Will take it again, probably in the spring. I'm glad we had her take it though since it turns out the dual credit classes she's in this year all required it.

Dd has taken the psat
They had kids take the PSAT's at school last year. My daughter took the ACT in June. Will take it again, probably in the spring. I'm glad we had her take it though since it turns out the dual credit classes she's in this year all required it.
Dd has taken the psat's twice, but not prepared, and did well. Hoping her tutor can bump up her score to be eligible for a national merit scholarship, the HS is having testing for juniors only. Worth a shot! Our guidance department stinks, they have about 5 counselors for 1200 students.

Planning on DD taking the ACT in February. Here in the Midwest, that is the big one, and not many take the SATs. She took ACT freshman year with no prep because her TAG teacher wanted to see what she would get. She did okay, but hoping by February she will have had enough College Algebra and Advanced Chemistry to bring her math and science up. Reading & English are no problem for her.

I kind of wonder if she should take PSAT. I don't expect her counselor to suggest it, and I'm not sure if she would do well enough for national merit or not.

My son's school has a testing day in October when the whole school takes some sort of standardized test. For Juniors, that's the PSAT. He also just signed up for the ACT in late October. We would like to get a baseline score as a starting point, then get him some test prep for later this school year.

My son's school has a testing day in October when the whole school takes some sort of standardized test. For Juniors, that's the PSAT. He also just signed up for the ACT in late October. We would like to get a baseline score as a starting point, then get him some test prep for later this school year.

My son went to a testing center this summer that offered free practice tests (basically a real SAT and a real ACT from a prior year). Now that he's taken both, we will probably sign him up for ACT since he did better on that. His school has everyone take PSAT in October, so he'll do that as well.

The SAT tutor told her to take take the SAT in October, the ACT in December, so not to take them a week apart. He thinks, based on practice tests, she'll do better on the ACT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts