Parents of the Class of 2019

DS is taking the PSAT in October (already registered). He took it cold last year, to get a feel for it, and will go in more prepared this year. He tried a class, but it was awful, so I just got him a book. Then the plan is that he'll take SATs in the spring.

Last edited:
Play auditions were Monday. This play only has two major female roles- a popular girl and a dark/outcast girl. So naturally DD was hoping for popular girl but we had no time on the weekend for her to work on the audition sections. I talked to her Sunday night about expectations- that even though she got the lead last year she might not this year. And maybe especially since she was the lead last year they might be inclined to let someone else have a turn. She came out of auditions teary- another girl had a much better audition and DD got the third biggest girl role (plus another small one), though it's a long ways off from the size of the first two roles.

By yesterday, when she was feeling overwhelmed by homework, she had come to terms with it. Decided maybe a smaller commitment to the play was for the best. Now she's just hoping her outfit for the 911 operator role can look like Judy Hopps :rotfl:

Aww, that's sad bjscheel. Glad she got over it. HaHa as to the role outfit.

Well, my little one started her volunteering at the hospital. She likes it.

We get off for the next two days for the Jewish holiday, so she is very much looking forward to a 4 day week-end. Homework has been heavy and she's up late some nights. AP and honor classes and she has a busy schedule. That, and the club soccer is keeping her very busy.

She will take the SAT probably in the Spring. She did really well on the PSAT, so I am hoping she does excellent on the SAT.

Last night, the school had a what to expect getting in to college. Sigh, in 2 years, she'll be a college freshman to her older sibling's college senior. And I thought no more summer camp bills was like a raise. :D

Ugh, DD is really struggling with AP Lit. She thought she'd try an AP class this year and they have to do them online. So far her average is 46%. This is a girl who got 33 on the English ACT. She just doesn't get the questions on the quizzes. She's also now behind in the work because there are 3 kids taking it and 2 books. She was the last one to get the book. She took a quiz this afternoon and got 40%. The workload is stressing her out in conjunction with Advanced Chemistry and College Algebra. She has play practice tonight so hopefully this weekend I can watch her take some more and see if there is any way I can help. If things don't improve by the weekend, I told her to ask if she can drop it. I have no idea if that's possible and what she would be doing during that block then. She was hoping to increase her GPA over 4.0 to shoot for valedictorian but if she gets a poor grade that's down the tubes.

Edited to add that she just told me once everything gets graded, she will be at 86%. So it's not as dire as I thought, but the homework load overall is rough. Now add in 20 hours of play practice per week. :scared:

Last edited:

Now DD has another job. The dairy sweet shop finally had her come in for an interview today. I said see if you can start after the play is over (mid-November). The owner's sister is in the play, she knows the schedule. Well she works this Saturday 5-close. She also has a babysitting job she can have after the play, every other Sunday evening.

Between her schedule and her sister at college/working at Target, I think it's going to be hard to have any weekends together anymore :worried:

Posting again at the risk of looking like I'm just talking to myself :) How is everyone's year going now?

I'll be glad when the play is over this weekend and DD is actually home some more. So it's harvest season and DH is working late 7 days a week, DD16 is always at play practice or something, and DD19 is at college. So when I get tired of cleaning the house, what do I do? Research colleges because DD16 is already anxious about where to go. I'm excited right now because I found one that was previously not on our radar, but it's not super far away, not super huge, has her preferred majors, AND gives automatic full tuition with a high GPA and a 29 ACT. I *think* DD can get a 29. She'll take it in February, and could retake a couple of times if necessary before the deadline. I just ordered her For the Love of ACT Science and Math books.

So, IF she can get a 29 and IF she likes it, we can definitely afford this! It's just like a weight off my shoulders because I was getting really discouraged about costs. It may not work out, but for now it gives me hope. DD doesn't know about it yet, I only see her a little bit each day but after her schedule lightens up we can talk about it. So I had to tell somebody!

I may or may not have made a spreadsheet comparing the 4 closest, most affordable schools with her top choice major, with course requirements/options and costs. I'm bored :bored: (Honestly it's really helpful though in comparing programs!)

In other news, now she's going to be a Varsity Basketball cheerleader. She's never done any cheerleading but I'm sure she'll have a blast. Trying to talk her into doing the mascot sometimes and do some of her goofy dances at halftime.

DS took his first ACT test a couple weeks ago. We'd like to get a baseline to see what we need to get him a tutor for. He said it went ok, but I think he realizes there's some test taking tips he can learn. We'd like him somewhere in the low 30's in order to get into the programs he wants to get into (Engineering or CompSci). He's loving Honors Physics and his AP Computer Sci class, seems to like AP Calc, even though it's kicking his butt a little. He's also been spending a lot of time with his Robotics Club, getting their robot ready for competition this spring.

Soccer ended on a bitter note - they lost a playoff game to their rivals in OT. To make matters worse, DS was on the bench in crunch time, so convincing him to come back for his senior year is getting harder and harder. Other than that, it's been quiet around here.

DS took his first ACT test a couple weeks ago. We'd like to get a baseline to see what we need to get him a tutor for. He said it went ok, but I think he realizes there's some test taking tips he can learn. We'd like him somewhere in the low 30's in order to get into the programs he wants to get into (Engineering or CompSci). He's loving Honors Physics and his AP Computer Sci class, seems to like AP Calc, even though it's kicking his butt a little. He's also been spending a lot of time with his Robotics Club, getting their robot ready for competition this spring.

DD took the ACT as a freshman with zero prep, so we know exactly where she needs to improve- Math and Science. (Your son's AP classes would be her nightmare!) I think she got English 33, Reading 29, Math & Science both 19's, a 25 overall. But now she's in College Algebra and Advanced Chemistry so that should help a lot. And we got those books which have good reviews. So I'm hopeful she can raise it by 4 points from 2 years ago.

Soccer is in the spring for us. Maybe this year I'll learn more about it. I don't know all the rules and I don't know many of the parents to sit with so spectating isn't as fun as track was with DD19. It will be nice not having two kids in different sports this season though.

We are doing well. Marching Band season just ended. DS was Mellophone section leader and had a solo in one song this year. Concert band has begun and he placed as first chair French Horn so he is happy about that. He is taking the ACT in December and will take it at his school again in February. Started doing a few college tours. Junior year going pretty well so far.

Cross country is over, she was one out of six who competed at sectionals. The fall play is over, so the spring musical auditions should be announced. She took the ACT, it was harder than she expected. She’s taken several practice exams for her tutor, usually scored 33, but she gave herself more time at home. She finished every section, but didn’t have time to always check her answers.

She will be getting her second B ever this marking period in AP calc, got a 47 on one test in the beginning of the marking period, and has been clawing her way back. She has a regional dance competition is less than 2 weeks, has not been putting in extra time (except for 12 hours of regular classes and privates). Last year she came in 4th (out of over 150), I expect some disappointment, but she really hasn’t had a lot of free time (plus she’s been prioritizing her social life more).

She really needs to figure out what she wants to major in, she seems to want something in the medical field, strengths are math and science, but she really hasn’t taken the time to research. Maybe she can take some time over Christmas break to focus.

Things are rolling along for DS as well. He's loving Zoology, and, at the risk of jinxing it, math is going so much better this year! - He really is an "algebra person" rather than a "geometry person" anyway, but I think the biggest difference is that he likes the teacher. :teacher: It's nice to see him not stressing over that class for a change.

He also took a business elective and thinks he may have found his future major!! So we're going to be looking for good programs at colleges in the "magic range" - just far enough away, without being too far.

The year is going pretty well here so far.

Homecoming week was a blast - the overall theme was Disney, with each class getting a different studio under the Disney umbrella as their theme, and the junior class got Pixar. DD had a ton of fun with that - they made part of their hallway look like it was underwater with Nemo stuff, and another part full of the memory balls from Inside Out, and worked in a bunch of other movies here and there. DD dressed up as Joy for their theme day, which led to my girls' first matching Halloween costumes in many years (DD16 as Joy and DD9 as Disgust).

The dance got a little awkward. DD went without a date, with a group of female friends, but a boy she used to date (who was also there with friends) decided it was the perfect timing to tell her he still likes her. She was flattered, and he's a really nice kid, but she's just not interested in him that way. She's not really interested in dating at all, since her last two boyfriends (this boy included) had a problem with how busy she is and how little time she has available for dates and hanging out.

DD thinks testing day went well. Her school incorporates a lot of SAT and ACT prep into their routines, and she felt like the PSAT was much easier this year than last year. Hopefully that translates into good scores. Her score last year was in the 1200s and she'd like to break the 1400 mark when she takes the SAT so testing skills are something she's been working on. Her first quarter grades were okay, not perfect, but she knows what she needs to be working on and because her Bs are in weighted classes her GPA still looks good. Even with 5 honors and AP classes she feels like this year is easier than last year so far, mostly because she no longer has a Japanese class.

Her plan for this weekend is to finish up her application for the Japan exchange. I'm not looking forward to writing the check for that, but she's excited and it is a really great opportunity so fingers crossed that she is accepted.

We've got one more college trip to make in the spring, then hopefully we're done. There is one other school she wants to check out but mainly as a fallback option, so right now we're not planning that trip. She's going to apply early decision to her top choice; if she isn't accepted, then we'll worry about trekking cross-country to visit a promising safety school.

And just because life isn't crazy enough already, I may have accidentally found a job... which will certainly complicate the schedule. But it was one of those things too good to pass up. There is literally ONE newspaper in my area, a weekly, that employs ONE full time reporter to cover my community and the neighboring town. So it isn't an opening that comes along often, and I couldn't let it pass by just because the timing isn't quite perfect.

We are doing well. Marching Band season just ended. DS was Mellophone section leader and had a solo in one song this year. Concert band has begun and he placed as first chair French Horn so he is happy about that. He is taking the ACT in December and will take it at his school again in February. Started doing a few college tours. Junior year going pretty well so far.
Our band season just ended too. (so glad too)

Also we are on countdown to our WDW vacation Nov 19-24, 2017.

DS just started meeting with a tutor to help him prepare for the December ACT. He also got a job at our local zoo. He worked there over the summer, but this is a different job (at the same zoo) for the school year and then he will do his regular job in the summer. He has also taken his driver's ed classes, but hasn't done any driving hours yet. Now that cross country is over, he should have time to start the driving hours.

Homecoming week was a blast - the overall theme was Disney, with each class getting a different studio under the Disney umbrella as their theme, and the junior class got Pixar. DD had a ton of fun with that - they made part of their hallway look like it was underwater with Nemo stuff, and another part full of the memory balls from Inside Out, and worked in a bunch of other movies here and there. DD dressed up as Joy for their theme day, which led to my girls' first matching Halloween costumes in many years (DD16 as Joy and DD9 as Disgust).

The dance got a little awkward. DD went without a date, with a group of female friends, but a boy she used to date (who was also there with friends) decided it was the perfect timing to tell her he still likes her. She was flattered, and he's a really nice kid, but she's just not interested in him that way. She's not really interested in dating at all, since her last two boyfriends (this boy included) had a problem with how busy she is and how little time she has available for dates and hanging out.

And just because life isn't crazy enough already, I may have accidentally found a job... which will certainly complicate the schedule. But it was one of those things too good to pass up. There is literally ONE newspaper in my area, a weekly, that employs ONE full time reporter to cover my community and the neighboring town. So it isn't an opening that comes along often, and I couldn't let it pass by just because the timing isn't quite perfect.

Disney Homecoming sounds AWESOME!

DD has a couple of exes that still like her. She's nervous about prom because she doesn't want any of them to ask her, but she wants a date, so she may have to figure out someone to ask early before anyone asks her. Dilemmas! DD19 actually wants to go to prom again this year since she got sick at last year's prom. So if DD16 has too many offers, DD19 would go with one :rotfl:

Good luck with the job! One time my sister walked into her insurance agent's office and they were like, "Hey, would you like a job?" She's been there several years now.

So I had emailed the college that I was excited about the full tuition at and they said they were discontinuing the major. Bummer! Maybe she'll change her mind and can still go there for something else, but if not, now all signs are pointing to one closer to home which makes me a little happy too, though it will likely cost more. The research continues...

Cross country is over, she was one out of six who competed at sectionals. The fall play is over, so the spring musical auditions should be announced. She took the ACT, it was harder than she expected. She’s taken several practice exams for her tutor, usually scored 33, but she gave herself more time at home. She finished every section, but didn’t have time to always check her answers.

She will be getting her second B ever this marking period in AP calc, got a 47 on one test in the beginning of the marking period, and has been clawing her way back. She has a regional dance competition is less than 2 weeks, has not been putting in extra time (except for 12 hours of regular classes and privates). Last year she came in 4th (out of over 150), I expect some disappointment, but she really hasn’t had a lot of free time (plus she’s been prioritizing her social life more).

She really needs to figure out what she wants to major in, she seems to want something in the medical field, strengths are math and science, but she really hasn’t taken the time to research. Maybe she can take some time over Christmas break to focus.

It's so tough to figure out what you want to do. On one hand you want to tell them they don't have to have their life figured out at 16, but on the other hand you want to visit/choose colleges that have their major, if it's not one found everywhere.

Hey @Gumbo4x4 do you have any opinions on Lindenwood College or Southeast Missouri State and their respective towns/neighborhoods? I believe that might be your neck of the woods? DD is not a fan of big cities. She could qualify for free tuition at SEMO with just a 27 ACT which is definitely doable, but it's a 8-9 hour trek for us and I don't know how I feel sending her that far away. So just curious if you knew anything good bad or otherwise.

She is thinking of Recreation & Parks Management major, which I don't know if that's a good idea but she'd certainly like it and it does narrow down the choices of colleges. The one I mentioned upthread had said they were discontinuing the major but the head of the dept said it's not a done deal so it's still on the table too.

Hey @Gumbo4x4 do you have any opinions on Lindenwood College or Southeast Missouri State and their respective towns/neighborhoods? I believe that might be your neck of the woods? DD is not a fan of big cities. She could qualify for free tuition at SEMO with just a 27 ACT which is definitely doable, but it's a 8-9 hour trek for us and I don't know how I feel sending her that far away. So just curious if you knew anything good bad or otherwise.

She is thinking of Recreation & Parks Management major, which I don't know if that's a good idea but she'd certainly like it and it does narrow down the choices of colleges. The one I mentioned upthread had said they were discontinuing the major but the head of the dept said it's not a done deal so it's still on the table too.

Oddly enough, I don’t know a lot about SEMO, but I have some friends who really liked Lindenwood. SEMO will definitely have a small town vibe - it’s probably 3 hours from me. Lindenwood is not far from STL, but it’s firmly in the ‘burbs - it’s about 90 minutes from me.

I'm not so patiently waiting for Tuesday when my DD's PSAT/NMSQT score comes out. A few days ago she got an email from a selective summer program. In the email invitation to apply to the program, it said that she received the invitation due to her high PSAT score. Now I am soooo curious to see what's she got!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!