Parents of the Class of 2019

DD just picked out her dress too. The prom theme this year is The Great Gatsby/Roaring 20s, so she really wanted something to go along with that. It is like part prom, part costume party for her. She's got pixie-cut hair and we're ordering a Daisy Buchanan headband to go with the dress. I don't think she's going to end up with a date for prom; she and several of her friends are planning to go together in a group and none of them seem too concerned about having "real" dates for it.

upload_2018-3-19_22-57-13.png

DD torpedoed my hopes for a lovely Easter break trip down south... She decided Wellesley is a higher priority for a visit than Tulane. Part of it is her general antipathy towards Greek life, which is MUCH bigger at Tulane than at other schools she's looking at, but also that she finds Wellesley appealing enough on paper that she thinks it might unseat Georgetown as her top choice. Tulane she was looking at more as a probable third or fourth choice sort of option. So instead of enjoying warm weather and sunshine in New Orleans, I'll be heading off to spend spring break somewhere colder and snowier than home. Oh, the things we do for our children. :rotfl:

So pretty dresses posted. Yep, seems like it will be girl friends going as a group, as I don't think my DD will be with a date. That's fine. Junior prom. Her dress went to be altered and she's so excited. I picked a more formal looking one, but had to return it, as the one she is getting altered is more fitting. Oh well, it does look very nice on her, and is a long gown. Our Junior prom is late, as not until the end of next month. Okay with me, as time to save up for the hair and nails, and hopefully better weather. We get more snow the next 2 days. Sigh.

And I continue to be reminded school days can be used for college visits. We are getting there, maybe closer to the end of school. Pitt, Bucknell, and F&M are on the list. Agreeable to me, as all within a day's drive, the last 2 only a couple hours drive. With the cost of the last one, I may be less enthusiastic about her going there. I think she will focus on the first 2, as she wants to be in a larger school, but is concerned about class size.

Cannot believe the Junior year is on the way being finished. Turning 17 this summer, and she's my youngest. And the college costs will start anew. Big Sigh.

You guys are way ahead of us in all of this! Congrats to everyone setting up summer programs and finding prom dresses! We still haven't scheduled any school visits. Hopefully now that the roads aren't covered in ice half the time we can get going on it. Right now I can't seem to interest her in pursuing some more competitive schools. She's hanging tight with wanting to go to one of the state schools.

We just completed a weekend with the fake baby, so at least she's firmly convinced she needs to make enough money to hire a night nanny. :laughing: She was never so happy for a Monday morning to roll around!

DD's prom is on April 7th, so only 3 weeks away. We even found the cutest shoes for her dress that are the same color and won't make her sprain her ankle walking!

So pretty dresses posted. Yep, seems like it will be girl friends going as a group, as I don't think my DD will be with a date. That's fine. Junior prom. Her dress went to be altered and she's so excited. I picked a more formal looking one, but had to return it, as the one she is getting altered is more fitting. Oh well, it does look very nice on her, and is a long gown. Our Junior prom is late, as not until the end of next month. Okay with me, as time to save up for the hair and nails, and hopefully better weather. We get more snow the next 2 days. Sigh.

Ours is late too - first weekend in May - and I'm glad for it because the kids usually need winter coats for both homecoming and the winter formal so it'll be nice to be able to do outdoor pictures without making everyone freeze!

And I'm glad we have a bit of time to spread out the shopping for accessories and the expense of tickets, nails, etc., since her airfare payment for Japan is due in a couple weeks and she has *another* new softball coach (3rd year, 3rd coach) who is changing the uniforms *again* so we have a laundry list of overpriced required gear plus the pay-to-play fee due before Easter break. I hope we hold on to this coach because this stuff is getting really old. Last year's coach wanted them all to have red batting helmets, this year's coach wants black. Freshman year we had to order a black visor, last year was white hats, this year is the exact same hat but in black. And of course, team hoodies and matching under armor with the school logo and all that other stuff. Only the black game pants can be reused from last year. It is like they think private school parents are made of money. Fortunately my son's BF is a whiz with makeup and my daughter's hair is so short that there's really no having it done, so what she's costing me in sports stuff she's saving on prom expenses. ;)

Ours is late too - first weekend in May - and I'm glad for it because the kids usually need winter coats for both homecoming and the winter formal so it'll be nice to be able to do outdoor pictures without making everyone freeze!

And I'm glad we have a bit of time to spread out the shopping for accessories and the expense of tickets, nails, etc., since her airfare payment for Japan is due in a couple weeks and she has *another* new softball coach (3rd year, 3rd coach) who is changing the uniforms *again* so we have a laundry list of overpriced required gear plus the pay-to-play fee due before Easter break. I hope we hold on to this coach because this stuff is getting really old. Last year's coach wanted them all to have red batting helmets, this year's coach wants black. Freshman year we had to order a black visor, last year was white hats, this year is the exact same hat but in black. And of course, team hoodies and matching under armor with the school logo and all that other stuff. Only the black game pants can be reused from last year. It is like they think private school parents are made of money. Fortunately my son's BF is a whiz with makeup and my daughter's hair is so short that there's really no having it done, so what she's costing me in sports stuff she's saving on prom expenses. ;)

Sounds like she's busy and you are her banker. LOL Yeah, kids are expensive until they are independent. And yeah, coach wanted new soccer uniforms since thought some outgrew last years. Um, no, little smaller on her now, otherwise, new every year? Plus, wanted a different warm up suit. What? Soccer's been expensive, particularly when club went to only all tournaments, and a paid coach starting in 9th grade. And thankfully, a neighbor has a local beauty shop, so doing all the girls make up in her home. I hope that means saving. Already have hair and nail appointments made. So yeah, glad to spread the cost out some. Prom is last week in April. And to think, next year, Senior Prom. Round 2 it will be.

I love looking at the dresses. Poor Dd, she was so excited to give blood today, since she grew into a normal sized person and thought she made the weight requirement of over 110. It turns out you need to be under 5’ to weigh that and give. They told her to come back when she’s 19. All of her friends did it. She got her NHS letter today, now just needs community service letters.

Tagging along. This is my last one! I had one graduate college last May. I have one graduating college this May. And my final one graduating HS in May 2017. DD17 and I are off to our first college tour this morning.:yay:

She ice skates. We just had our next to last ice show and next to last home competition. Sniff! Sniff! but also YAY!

Just signed up a tutor for SAT and ACT - the plan right now is SAT in May and ACT in July, so he'll be meeting once or twice a week for the next few months to prep. Not cheap ($1,700), but hopefully a worthwhile investment. Tutor told us that the one thing he has going against him is that the courses he's taking (and took last year) aren't necessarily helpful for the standardized testing, that most of what's tested on the exams is material he covered in 7th and 8th grades, so he really has some heavy reviewing to do.

NHS induction is tomorrow - then spring break for us. :)

Just signed up a tutor for SAT and ACT - the plan right now is SAT in May and ACT in July, so he'll be meeting once or twice a week for the next few months to prep. Not cheap ($1,700), but hopefully a worthwhile investment. Tutor told us that the one thing he has going against him is that the courses he's taking (and took last year) aren't necessarily helpful for the standardized testing, that most of what's tested on the exams is material he covered in 7th and 8th grades, so he really has some heavy reviewing to do.

NHS induction is tomorrow - then spring break for us. :)
I’ve had 3 kids get tutored, worth the money. Dd says she’s done, except maybe subject tests, I’m going to see if she can take one more ACT.

Prom here is in April sometime but DS doesn't want to go. He has said that for years but I am hoping he'll change his mind. He said freshman year he didn't want to go to homecoming either and then did the last two years and has had a great time. I went to the prom with a friend (not a boyfriend) and we had a great time, so I am trying to get him to see the light that it doesn't have to be about having a DATE date. (He doesn't have a girlfriend and there is noone he is interested in, at least that's what he says).

eggplant-dress-FB-GL2282-a.jpg
DD sent this picture to her date last night and he said "You look different" :rotfl:Then he was trying to find a purple vest online so we decided might be best to go with a gold accent for him rather than try to match the eggplant. She'll be wearing gold heels.

Dress still needs hemmed by Grandma, and I think we are going to pad the chest and it will be good to go (when you buy the XS and it's still too big :rolleyes:).

Love everybody's dresses!!

Prom here is in April sometime but DS doesn't want to go.

Neither does mine. Dances have never been his thing, and there's no girlfriend to pressure him into going right now, so I've decided to just count my pocketbook lucky.

We're officially signed up for college open house #2 next month, but it's fairly local, so just a quick day trip. He's also still looking into gap year options. - There's more out there than I thought, so I intend to keep an open mind.

He's also still looking into gap year options. - There's more out there than I thought, so I intend to keep an open mind.

My dd keeps talking about going out of state. There is no way we can do out of state tuition or private schools. She wants to go into nursing and there are plenty of more affordable good options in state. I think that if she had the option to live in the state she wants to reside in for a year to get in state tuition she may consider doing that.

My dd keeps talking about going out of state. There is no way we can do out of state tuition or private schools. She wants to go into nursing and there are plenty of more affordable good options in state. I think that if she had the option to live in the state she wants to reside in for a year to get in state tuition she may consider doing that.

Check into that very carefully. Most states have made it very difficult to prove residency. They generally still look at where parents reside and require FAFSA.

I love seeing everyone’s dresses! Our prom is combo Jr/Sr so the only year both of my kids might be there together. DS is thinking of asking a friend and it’s on 4/7. He does not seem to get that he needs to ask now.

It’s his spring break and he has spent a good chunk of time researching schools. He’s making and revising lists like crazy. In addition to CS/game design, now he’s thinking of looking into artificial intelligence. I’m happy he’s expanding his search because game design limits a lot.

He’s definitely excited about the options and I’m waiting to see where we need to visit this summer.

Neither does mine. Dances have never been his thing, and there's no girlfriend to pressure him into going right now, so I've decided to just count my pocketbook lucky.

We're officially signed up for college open house #2 next month, but it's fairly local, so just a quick day trip. He's also still looking into gap year options. - There's more out there than I thought, so I intend to keep an open mind.
Neither of our boys went to prom. It took us 3 tries to finally get someone to go! No dress yet, but she's been out looking with some friends. I guess I get to go when time comes to pay. :)

Yes residency is hard to obtain for a student so don't plan on that without a lot of research. (Utah might be one of the easier ones to do this in?) However, at least here in the Midwest, I have found many out of state publics that offer in-state rates to either surrounding states or kids with a high GPA/ACT. DD will more than likely be attending one as they are cheaper than any of our in-state options. It may be different in your area, perhaps in the Midwest they are trying to lure kids to the area :), or maybe different for nursing but I guess just don't assume it will be out of reach.

I'm new to this 2019 thread-I've been on the 2017 thread for my oldest DD. My DS is a Junior in HS this year. I also have a DD Freshman in HS-is there a 2021 thread?

I think my oldest DD's college search was easier than it will be with DS. She wanted a very specific field (meteorology), a small school, not city and not too far from home. He has no idea what he wants other than he says he wants to go somewhere warm and would love to work for NASA.

Our HS only has Senior prom but it seems like all the senior boys invite underclass girls so the senior girls invite underclass boys. My DD didn't go to her prom. I doubt DS will go to his.

I'm new to this 2019 thread-I've been on the 2017 thread for my oldest DD. My DS is a Junior in HS this year. I also have a DD Freshman in HS-is there a 2021 thread?

I think my oldest DD's college search was easier than it will be with DS. She wanted a very specific field (meteorology), a small school, not city and not too far from home. He has no idea what he wants other than he says he wants to go somewhere warm and would love to work for NASA.

Our HS only has Senior prom but it seems like all the senior boys invite underclass girls so the senior girls invite underclass boys. My DD didn't go to her prom. I doubt DS will go to his.
Welcome! I have freshman twins, there is a thread here too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts