Parents of the Class of 2019

I'm new to this 2019 thread-I've been on the 2017 thread for my oldest DD. My DS is a Junior in HS this year. I also have a DD Freshman in HS-is there a 2021 thread?

I think my oldest DD's college search was easier than it will be with DS. She wanted a very specific field (meteorology), a small school, not city and not too far from home. He has no idea what he wants other than he says he wants to go somewhere warm and would love to work for NASA.

Our HS only has Senior prom but it seems like all the senior boys invite underclass girls so the senior girls invite underclass boys. My DD didn't go to her prom. I doubt DS will go to his.
Yes there is a 2021 thread. I have kids in both years. As for the prom, maybe it's not the end all, be all it was at my school. I just don't want DS to regret not going (even though later in life, will it make a difference? Not at all!).

Got DD to apply for a small scholarship. She asked me to let her know of any scholarships I found, she would write any essay, whatever it took, etc. But getting her to write this very short essay was a struggle. This is going to be so fun...;)

Dd is bummed, got her SAT score, 1410 again, went up 30 in math, down 30 in reading/LA, she said that’s how she felt after taking it, better in math, lower in English. She took it the Saturday of her HS musical, after a grueling tech week, babysat late the night before. I’m going to gently push for the ACT’s one more time, after reading some posts on college confidential. A 35 would increase her chances of $. She is signed up for the math 2 subject test, it’s the only one she is taking (required by 2 schools she is applying to). She just wants the testing to be over.

DS is taking the ACT one more time (he didn't take SAT at all). He is also signed up for a US History subject test and I"m wondering about signing him up for the math as well. He hasn't narrowed down his list of schools yet, so I don't know if he'll even need subject tests.

Dd is bummed, got her SAT score, 1410 again, went up 30 in math, down 30 in reading/LA, she said that’s how she felt after taking it, better in math, lower in English. She took it the Saturday of her HS musical, after a grueling tech week, babysat late the night before. I’m going to gently push for the ACT’s one more time, after reading some posts on college confidential. A 35 would increase her chances of $. She is signed up for the math 2 subject test, it’s the only one she is taking (required by 2 schools she is applying to). She just wants the testing to be over.
DS got 1410 too and is quite happy with it. He is evenly split with math and English and right now he is not sure he wants to take it again. He also did well on then ACT. We feel like it couldn’t hurt to take it again but it’s his choice. He’s got lots of other stuff to concentrate on, so we’re not going to push it with him. That 30 pts either way is tough bc of how they say it’s your “true” range. Luckily most schools superscore. When I was in high school, we only took the SAT and subject tests, no ACT in my area of the country. Where I live now, nobody seems to take subject tests.

Got DD to apply for a small scholarship. She asked me to let her know of any scholarships I found, she would write any essay, whatever it took, etc. But getting her to write this very short essay was a struggle. This is going to be so fun...;)
I feel your pain. DS is a redhead and I saw something about a redhead scholarship for juniors and seniors and he said sure. That was months ago and every time I bring it up, he snaps at me.

Another step in the growing up process! We took DD's room from deep blue and vivid purple with glitter paint, Disney and Marvel posters, to a travel theme for the (potential) Geography major. We had the push pin map of the US from Christmas (and in another area we have a vintage globe from Grandma's attic). Saturday before we started painting we went to Walmart and DD19 found the three piece canvas of the world. It was perfect!

What you don't see in these pics is that across the hall there is a half a room full of sentimental stuff from her childhood and such that she doesn't want to put back in her room now that it is clean and themed but doesn't want to get rid of either. By this weekend, DD19 will want her room cleared of her sister's stuff though :)
room1.jpg room2.jpg

I love the new theme! In our old house, one wall of the computer room had a "vintage map" print wallpaper, and it was always one of my favorite rooms.

DD’s ACT scores came back pretty mediocre considering she’s always tested much higher on similar tests. DD12 took it too and she did much better among her peers than her sister despite her NOT being a strong tester historically LOL. Oh well, she can try again.

Yep, DD was very disappointed with her SAT score. Oh well. More money, and AP test coming up next month.

On the bright side, the junior prom dress was altered, and she is very happy with it. When she found out the cost of having someone do her make up, she decided she is not a lots of make up kid, so now deciding if she's just doing it herself. She used to like going to the nail place, but has been off of doing that since sports and nice looking nails are not a good mix. Well, now wants that. Hmm, have to call and hope. At least it's still a month away.

Nice update on her room BJ. My DD did not change her wall color and didn't really have anything put up on her walls, but she added more storage stuff and a newer desk, and gave up her toddler book shelf and old desk. I am making her do a go through everything. Already took 3 bags of toys and clothes/shoes for donation.

Dd has decided to take the SAT and ACT again for the third time. Unfortunately, June is when she wants to take the SAT, but she’s already signed up for a subject test that day, and you can’t do both, so it’s looking like she will have to wait until fall.

Yep, DD was very disappointed with her SAT score. Oh well. More money, and AP test coming up next month.

On the bright side, the junior prom dress was altered, and she is very happy with it. When she found out the cost of having someone do her make up, she decided she is not a lots of make up kid, so now deciding if she's just doing it herself. She used to like going to the nail place, but has been off of doing that since sports and nice looking nails are not a good mix. Well, now wants that. Hmm, have to call and hope. At least it's still a month away.

Nice update on her room BJ. My DD did not change her wall color and didn't really have anything put up on her walls, but she added more storage stuff and a newer desk, and gave up her toddler book shelf and old desk. I am making her do a go through everything. Already took 3 bags of toys and clothes/shoes for donation.
My 3 mile town has over 20 nail salons, open 7 days a week. There are just as many in surrounding towns. Whenever I go, I just call an hour or two ahead, or chance a walk in, for the formal Dd will make an appointment a few days ahead of time, since a lot of girls will be getting them done. She’s planning on getting them done the day before, her bf has his Eagle Scout ceremony that morning.

Dd has decided to take the SAT and ACT again for the third time. Unfortunately, June is when she wants to take the SAT, but she’s already signed up for a subject test that day, and you can’t do both, so it’s looking like she will have to wait until fall.
Turns out one of the schools DS is interested in "strongly recommends" the subject tests. I don't remember from my day, can you take more than one subject test on a testing day?

Thanks. Maybe I’ll suggest he schedule a date to get them out of the way. He’s got a AP testing coming up though. Need to check for a summer date I guess.
I don’t believe they have summer dates, the last for this school year is the beginning of June, the next is the end of August. I forgot about AP exams, Dd has 4. I think they are in May?

I don’t believe they have summer dates, the last for this school year is the beginning of June, the next is the end of August. I forgot about AP exams, Dd has 4. I think they are in May?
Yeah, we have a college open house on the May date and with three AP exams right after that, I think it would be burnout anyway. He’s now thinking about doing the June one to get them done before school is over for the year. He could do August but doesn’t want to take the, after being off all summer (even though he’ll have plenty of summer work for next year’s APs).

Well, DD got into a car accident yesterday. Nothing major, she rear-ended someone on the highway. They were on their way to a field trip at CSU to visit their class 3 laboratory and driving during rush hour. Lessons learned, we'll have to see if they total the car although I doubt it. We did tell her she's on the hook to pay for our deductible, and any increase in insurance premiums so she is now looking at getting a job for the summer at least. We have 4 rec centers in our housing development and I think she's going to apply to lifeguard at a rec center. The pay is good and it's a great extra-curricular to show.

DD doesn't take the SAT until April, and we'll see how she does, she did pretty well on the ACT, and got a perfect score on the essay portion, so that's a good thing. She has prom in 2 weeks, and then a couple of weeks before the AP tests start kicking in in May. She leaves for a school trip to Thailand the weekend school gets out, so she's going to be busy in May!

Does anyone else's school use Naviance? DD was walking through what she had set up for her college planning, it includes schools that you're interested in, and graphs of test scores and GPAs and status of those applications (accepted, denied, or wait-listed) so she could see where she stacked up as far as acceptance goes. It also includes a list of scholarships that she's eligible for (although some don't apply like the Colorado Horsewoman's scholarship) and how to apply for them.

CO-glad your DD’s ok!!!

Yes, my kids use Naviance. I was just looking at it the other day. So much info to read! I’m glad DS enjoys researching too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter