Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

As the saying goes, be careful what you wish for...

I have been bugging DS to get a job and he just texted me that he was hired and starts on Wed. He will work Tues thru Sat from 5-9pm. I will hardly see him at all Tuesday thru Friday. Although I am happy he got a job, I am also so sad I won't have that time with him in the evenings...
He leaves for college in a little over 7 weeks.

Aw, that is kind of sad. We've been lucky that DD's jobs have been daytime/weekday ones. She's not been getting many hours this summer, but she's saved a lot so I guess it's okay to hang loose for now. She plans to work at college and that will have to be evenings and weekends, so she won't always be free for family events like we've been used to.

DS has orientation on Tuesday. Even though there is stuff for parents, we are not going with him. He says he wants to handle it himself. I'm finding it hard to let him do it on his own. I'm so used to managing everything. Oh well, its time for me to let go.

:grouphug:

I did go to orientation. It was scheduled for 7:30 am to noon. DD and I get hungry in the mornings, so I put a few snacks in my purse. When she left to do scheduling I found myself concerned that she didn't have a snack with her :rotfl:Mom habits never die! I did eat my Ritz Bits on break...and she was fine without a snack :blush:

I had a couple of $2 off tide pod coupons so I bought a few bags of 16ct so now dd is ready for doing her college laundry for a year-lol! Plus a coupon for bounce fabric sheets-lol! We can now cross off laundry detergent, fabric sheets and microwave off the list. Plus I bought some cold meds, allergy meds a few months ago with my medical reimbursement

We've been on the lookout for a good deal on a Frigidaire mini fridge with two doors one for fridge and one for freezer. Her bed is one that can be adjusted so we will put mini fridge under it. DD had an idea of getting a queen size comforter so it can hang over the bed and hide the stuff under the bed but now that I think about it, it will be short and not cover the entire bed. Would love to hear what others doo to hide the stuff under the bed.

I want to hit the IKEA sale next month to buy storage , towels, shower caddy etc unless theres deals at other stores. DD still looking for a bedding style she likes. She hasn't heard from her roommate for a about 2-3 weeks so dd is getting nervous. Not sure when her roommate graduates. Last email was she was super busy with everything.

are shower shoes just flip flops? Do they have a certain bottoms like non slip?

We've been on the lookout for a good deal on a Frigidaire mini fridge with two doors one for fridge and one for freezer. Her bed is one that can be adjusted so we will put mini fridge under it. DD had an idea of getting a queen size comforter so it can hang over the bed and hide the stuff under the bed but now that I think about it, it will be short and not cover the entire bed. Would love to hear what others do to hide the stuff under the bed.

She hasn't heard from her roommate for a about 2-3 weeks so dd is getting nervous. Not sure when her roommate graduates. Last email was she was super busy with everything.

are shower shoes just flip flops? Do they have a certain bottoms like non slip?

I think a queen is just as long as a twin xl, so it should be long enough (if that's the type of long you were referring to).

DS only hears from his roommate if he initiates contact, and that has been rare. I mentioned it a couple times this weekend. We can't really start buying shared items until the boys talk and decide who is bringing what.

The Frigidaire two door mini fridge you mentioned sounds perfect. A small separate freezer would be nice.

Yes, shower shoes are flip flops. DS thinks he will just wear his regular adidas ones, but we are going to need to buy a pair just for the shower - prob all rubber, no foam-lined upper.

I too would love to be able to shop around and pick up things my daughter will need for college as I find them on sale. Since she is going to Florida State and we live in NJ so we won't be able to transport the stuff on the plane so we will have to go to BBB and Target up here and make two large purchases that will be ready at the stores down there for us to pick up when we arrive:( With my older daughter we were able to spread the shopping out all summer long. I'm scared to death to see that bill when everything is purchased all at once!!!

DS has orientation on Tuesday. Even though there is stuff for parents, we are not going with him. He says he wants to handle it himself. I'm finding it hard to let him do it on his own. I'm so used to managing everything. Oh well, its time for me to let go.

My daughter wanted to go alone as well......and did. However, she texted me when she was there stating she wished we would have come because everybody else had their parents there and she was all alone! I REALLY wanted to go rescue her! But she survived...

Arrived at orientation; it's a 2 day overnight affair. DH and I are signed up for parent orientation as well. It cost $100, but they are feeding us 5 meals and a dessert reception. Plus they already gave me a little tote bag, a water bottle and a pen. In Disney terms, I am way ahead.:D

You got a great deal. ;) We paid $150 for two parents. They are feeding us one dinner for sure and maybe two lunches (it's unclear if those are covered in the info that I saw or if we're going to have to pay). We didn't have a parent orientation at my older kids' school, so this is new to me. My son stays overnight at the school, but we don't.

You got a great deal. ;) We paid $150 for two parents. They are feeding us one dinner for sure and maybe two lunches (it's unclear if those are covered in the info that I saw or if we're going to have to pay). We didn't have a parent orientation at my older kids' school, so this is new to me. My son stays overnight at the school, but we don't.

I had to pay 230.00 for 2 parents for registration! It includes 2 breakfast, 2 lunches and 2 dinners. We check in Wed at 3:00pm and check out Friday at 4:00pm

Got back last night from dropping DS off for summer session. He is officially a college freshman! Classes start Wednesday. We got him a golf and gym membership while we were up there so he can stay active - I swear, it's like a summer camp with 2 classes!! I was texting with him this morning, and he was planning on heading to the pool after lunch with some friends. His roommate seemed like a nice guy. All of the students have meetings with their mentors later this afternoon. I just ordered some Insomnia Cookies to be delivered to him on Wednesday after his first day of classes to wish him good luck! (These are his favorite!)

His twin brothers (who are also now freshmen - in HS) are at camp today... the house is so quiet... it's strange.

Sorry, it was $100 each. But, I will say that the lunch was great, different kinds of sandwiches, salads (curry potato, quinoa, garden), chips, gazpacho, cookies and cupcakes. DS stays overnight in the dorms. We are staying at a nearby hotel.

We are attending orientation this week too. $69/adult to attend if NOT staying on campus. $20 for sibling. I will attend orientation but DH & 2 siblings will be coming with us so they will have to find things to do in the area for the two days of orientation which is scheduled from 8am day 1 to I think 4 or 5pm day 2. Then we will vacation as a family from there. The info on the "guest" orientation clearly states it is NOT with your child.

DD got her schedule which she will finalize with an advisor at orientation. She's OK with the 8am classes but isn't happy that some days she won't get out til after 5pm and no day before 3pm. She knew schedules were out because she saw some other kid posted a picture of their schedule on instagram-that kid said "the struggles of having a double major..." But they have 3 days of classes from 10:20 to 12:25 and 2 days from 9:35 to 2:05 for a total of 15 class room hours. She has calculus that meets 4 hours per week not 3 and a 2 hour lab and a 3 hour lab for a total of 19 class room hours.

We have started cleaning out closets and packing for vacation and college at the same time. I forced the boys to go shopping for college stuff, they wanted several things until I told them they would be using their graduation money. The shopping slowed down once they found that out. I just can't decide if they need a printer when there are computer labs in their dorms and they do not have to pay for copies. It is items like that I are trying to get them purchase with college money, that way they are learning the difference between want and need. Is that being stingy?
DD has two months to go. I wish she would start thinking about what she's taking. Its only 2 hours away so 'm sure we will drive up because she forgot something. I was planning on buy DD a printer. Not sure if they have any in her dorm. I figure a printer would be good especially because she does things at the last minute. Plus if she needs to do late night printing
Arrived at orientation; it's a 2 day overnight affair. DH and I are signed up for parent orientation as well. It cost $100, but they are feeding us 5 meals and a dessert reception. Plus they already gave me a little tote bag, a water bottle and a pen. In Disney terms, I am way ahead.:D
Parent Orientation for us isn't until Oct. Its just a one day thing and I don't think theres a charge. I guess I better check it out.

We are attending orientation this week too. $69/adult to attend if NOT staying on campus. $20 for sibling. I will attend orientation but DH & 2 siblings will be coming with us so they will have to find things to do in the area for the two days of orientation which is scheduled from 8am day 1 to I think 4 or 5pm day 2. Then we will vacation as a family from there. The info on the "guest" orientation clearly states it is NOT with your child.

DD got her schedule which she will finalize with an advisor at orientation. She's OK with the 8am classes but isn't happy that some days she won't get out til after 5pm and no day before 3pm. She knew schedules were out because she saw some other kid posted a picture of their schedule on instagram-that kid said "the struggles of having a double major..." But they have 3 days of classes from 10:20 to 12:25 and 2 days from 9:35 to 2:05 for a total of 15 class room hours. She has calculus that meets 4 hours per week not 3 and a 2 hour lab and a 3 hour lab for a total of 19 class room hours.

We don't have a choice to stay on campus, but my parents live close by, so that works out for us. It was $100 for the first person and $50 for each additional one. (The students don't pay separately for orientation. It's in one of the fees that we pay anyway.) If he weren't the youngest, I'd let my husband off the hook and go myself. I decided that I'd rather have company, so I just told him that he's going. We start out with the students from 9:00-11:30 the first day. Then we split up until dinner time. I still can't tell reading the schedule if we are on our own for lunch or if it's paid for. The second day is 9:00-3:15 on our own and then we have time with our son until 5:00 pm. Looking at the parent programs, I probably wouldn't have signed up. At registration time, though, they didn't have a schedule out, and it was "highly recommended" that a parent attend the family orientation.

He already has his schedule (dependent upon his AP Calc score). He had a phone call with his advisor to complete that. I don't remember all of it, but I know that Wednesdays he's scheduled from 7:30 am - 5:00 pm with only a half hour break and a one hour break during the day. The other days aren't nearly that bad. He was hoping for an earlier end to Fridays than he has because of coming home some weekends.

Re: hiding the area under their beds.
I was thinking to just buy a separate flat sheet (twin or full size maybe?) that would match her bedding and stick it under her mattress so it can hang down. This way whatever is stored under her bed would be hidden.

Shower shoes: I see that BBB has these. Flip flops with little holes to let water through. My dd will probably just use regular flip flops unless someone gifts it to her.

Tomorrow is placement testing and registration. Another step closer...

Twin XL sheets are hard to find right about now. Today I checked Macy's, Penney's, Dillard's, Homegoods and found nothing. I ended up spending way too much for some nice ones from BBB. Then I went to TJMaxx. Dang it! I should have gone there first. They had an entire twin xl section set up. Soft sheets, mattress pads, comforters, everything. I'll be taking the expensive BBB sheets back. They cost more than the Tommy Hilfiger comforter from TJMaxx.

So now the bed is done. DS doesn't want or need a whole lot for his dorm room. He can decide what he needs as he goes since he will only be about an hour away from home. It will be easy to fill in necessary items along the way.

Twin XL sheets are hard to find right about now. Today I checked Macy's, Penney's, Dillard's, Homegoods and found nothing. I ended up spending way too much for some nice ones from BBB. Then I went to TJMaxx. Dang it! I should have gone there first. They had an entire twin xl section set up. Soft sheets, mattress pads, comforters, everything. I'll be taking the expensive BBB sheets back. They cost more than the Tommy Hilfiger comforter from TJMaxx.

So now the bed is done. DS doesn't want or need a whole lot for his dorm room. He can decide what he needs as he goes since he will only be about an hour away from home. It will be easy to fill in necessary items along the way.
I'll have to checkout TJMaxx for bedding and sheets. I posted on budget board budget dorm room stuff. I'm looking for deals and coupons. I want to get a lil stock pile of certain things and just give my DD a few things at a time. Once she starts school I will be on a budget for helping her with housing and meal plan. I figure if I stock up on a few things using coupons those are things I wont have to worry about later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter