Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

I think my daughter is missing the frilly girl gene. She has no interest in getting cute things for her dorm room. She doesn't have anything frilly in her room at home so it isn't surprising. I've bought things and have had to return them because she has no interest. I think it's her logical mathematical brain that chooses practical function over cute.

Oh well, it saves us money and she's happy with what she has.

Going to the post office today to ship up three big boxes of things to her dorm room. There is a service that you can ship to that will have the stuff in her dorm room when she arrives. SInce I only have a car there is no way I could fit all the things in my car so I lightened the load a bit by shipping some down!

My daughter lol! I tried to steer her towards the pink one, but the white won out. I'm wondering how many weeks it'll last.

My best rug advice is don't spend a lot. DD21 had a beautiful rug freshman year. When DH went to help her move out in May, The rug was so filthy and stained, they threw it in the dumpster. He told me, "trust me, there was no amount of cleaning that was going to salvage that rug."

I think my daughter is missing the frilly girl gene. She has no interest in getting cute things for her dorm room. She doesn't have anything frilly in her room at home so it isn't surprising. I've bought things and have had to return them because she has no interest. I think it's her logical mathematical brain that chooses practical function over cute.

Oh well, it saves us money and she's happy with what she has.
Mine too - right around age 6/7 she had had enough pink, bows and fussy hair that I spent hours on. No frilly or fluff for my DD - she practically shaves her head, has about a 5 minute make-up routine, a Captain America duvet cover and posters from Star Trek, Dr. Who, The Beatles and Spiderman as her "decor". Her two favorite shoes are Converse High Tops or Dr. Martin boots.

Mine too - right around age 6/7 she had had enough pink, bows and fussy hair that I spent hours on. No frilly or fluff for my DD - she practically shaves her head, has about a 5 minute make-up routine, a Captain America duvet cover and posters from Star Trek, Dr. Who, The Beatles and Spiderman as her "decor". Her two favorite shoes are Converse High Tops or Dr. Martin boots.

DD's chosen a Star Wars bed comforter. Her posters range from Dr. Who, the Flash, and Guardians of the Galaxy. We'd gotten her converse (hi and low tops) at the end of the school year.

I think we're finally done with the purchasing, which is good because it's been a bit more expensive than I'd planned! Between linens, school supplies, clothing miscellany and dorm stuff (sewing kit, tool kit, k-cups, etc.), we've wiped out what's left of her graduation money and then some (she spent most of it on a new bow for her viola).

Leaving next Wednesday -- we're renting a pick up because we have really old, small cars, and an SUV was way more expensive. Everything's being packed in plastic bins that we normally store our camping gear in. She's getting excited, as are we.

This week is devoted to doctor and dentist appointments, as well as getting bank account stuff straightened out.

Coming home last night, longest drive ever. Waking up to empty bedroom, could be longest day...
Her little brother took it hardest. I think for me (so far) the anticipation was harder. Any suggestions for the first care package of truly meant to spoil her non essential filled boxed?

Coming home last night, longest drive ever. Waking up to empty bedroom, could be longest day...
Her little brother took it hardest. I think for me (so far) the anticipation was harder. Any suggestions for the first care package of truly meant to spoil her non essential filled boxed?

I'm sure the first few days are going to be challenging. :grouphug: How old is your son? I have 2 boys (16 & 10) and I know they're going to take it hard when DD goes.

Did you meet her roommate when you moved her in? Hopefully your DD will get someone great!

I'm sure the first few days are going to be challenging. :grouphug: How old is your son? I have 2 boys (16 & 10) and I know they're going to take it hard when DD goes.

Did you meet her roommate when you moved her in? Hopefully your DD will get someone great!

Son is 11. The night before, when it was time for bed, he wouldn't stop hugging her, and he cried about 20 minutes. Everything was fine yesterday up to the last half hour. Then it was holding her hand, hugs, tears, and sobbing when the car door shut. I cried more for him than for myself.

The roommate was already moved in when we got there. So dd didn't get choice of anything. (Like which bunk, which dresser, which closet..etc) we thought it would have been nice if she had waited but what can you do? Funny thing was the girls name wasn't even on the door! So the RA didn't know who her roommate was!

Any suggestions for the first care package of truly meant to spoil her non essential filled boxed?

I'm an obsessive mailer of care packages. I have been since I was sending packages to summer camp. I think the first Freshman year package was gift cards to some food places around campus. I wanted to encourage her to get out and not worry too much about stretching her summer earnings until her paychecks from her job kicked in.

DD21 is already back at school and ready to start Senior year. I'm mailing this year's first package tomorrow. I noticed when we visited her new townhouse last weekend that she needed new hand towels so I bought a couple of monogrammed towels. I'm including a couple of bath bombs from the B&BW sale, and a single serve bottle of champagne with a "Cheers to Senior Year" note.

I'm already gathering goodies for this year's pumpkin since that is the Fall highlight.

Restaurant gift cards we gave her at farewell. They have sessions all weekend but no planned meals. Saturday is taste of the town, so area businesses set up tents, hand out samples and coupons and magnets with their phone number. Doesn't count as lunch for me but eh, they're kids. Then that night is movies under the stars with popcorn and cookies.

We haven't even dropped DD off, and I'm planning care packages.

Mostly for the first one, I'll be including stuff I said "no" to when we were shopping for supplies. So the first month will be the mermaid pillow from BB&B she really wanted (https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/st...n-throw-pillow/3294861?Keyword=mermaid+pillow) but I couldn't justify, as well as some K-cups for her hand-me-down K-cup coffee maker.

We haven't even dropped DD off, and I'm planning care packages.

Mostly for the first one, I'll be including stuff I said "no" to when we were shopping for supplies. So the first month will be the mermaid pillow from BB&B she really wanted (https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/st...n-throw-pillow/3294861?Keyword=mermaid+pillow) but I couldn't justify, as well as some K-cups for her hand-me-down K-cup coffee maker.

Great idea and I do similar. I pay attention to things she mentions or we see when we shopped for dorm and then apartment and now townhouse.

Freshman year- one package was the pair of red Michael Kors rain boots to replace her Target boots worn all through high school. I couldn't justify them when we were shopping but as soon as they went on clearance- I snatched them up.

For anyone with a DD who is rushing, Sorority stuff- car window decal, computer decal, shirts, hoodies, etc... Make a great package.

Any other Dirty Dancing fans out there? All I keep hearing in my head is Tito talking to Max at the very end. "Lots of changes...." lol
DS21 is down in FL. (He has been going to community college and is a transfer student) DH cried after he left. He's convinced that once he gets a taste of life in FL, he's not moving back; he may be right.

DS18 leaves in 10 days.

And, DD14 laid a bit of a bombshell on us. She has decided to do drama next year instead of ballet. To realize how shocked we were, you have to understand she's been dancing for 10 years and the last few years things have gotten intense. She was basically dancing for hours every day except Sunday. She's a beautiful dancer, but was not pursuing a professional career. (Though she was dancing with many girls who are) She made sacrifices left and right for dance (missing things like the eighth grade semi etc..); her choice, not ours.
She's been doing a once a week drama workshop this summer and loves it. I know she will enjoy the drama and I think it will ultimately be a positive change. I am having a harder time with her decision than she is. I will miss watching her dance and I will miss my friends at the studio . And being a dance mom took up hours of my time every week; it was like having a second job.
Now I need to figure out what to do with all this time.....

Any other Dirty Dancing fans out there? All I keep hearing in my head is Tito talking to Max at the very end. "Lots of changes...." lol
DS21 is down in FL. (He has been going to community college and is a transfer student) DH cried after he left. He's convinced that once he gets a taste of life in FL, he's not moving back; he may be right.

DS18 leaves in 10 days.

And, DD14 laid a bit of a bombshell on us. She has decided to do drama next year instead of ballet. To realize how shocked we were, you have to understand she's been dancing for 10 years and the last few years things have gotten intense. She was basically dancing for hours every day except Sunday. She's a beautiful dancer, but was not pursuing a professional career. (Though she was dancing with many girls who are) She made sacrifices left and right for dance (missing things like the eighth grade semi etc..); her choice, not ours.
She's been doing a once a week drama workshop this summer and loves it. I know she will enjoy the drama and I think it will ultimately be a positive change. I am having a harder time with her decision than she is. I will miss watching her dance and I will miss my friends at the studio . And being a dance mom took up hours of my time every week; it was like having a second job.
Now I need to figure out what to do with all this time.....

She can still dance in shows! If she does musicals, she'll be one of the best dancers (if not the best) who auditions. Directors in youth theater are always on the hunt for really good dancers. DS's friend dropped dance in favor of drama when she got into high school. She's been prominently featured in every musical they've done. Last year, as a junior, she was asked to choreograph the entire musical (Seven Brides for Seven Brothers which is a dance-heavy show). This year, the director is going to hire a professional choreographer, but wants the this girl to be her assistant and have an opportunity to learn from her. Maybe your DD will also find a way to incorporate her dance training into theater.

Son is 11. The night before, when it was time for bed, he wouldn't stop hugging her, and he cried about 20 minutes. Everything was fine yesterday up to the last half hour. Then it was holding her hand, hugs, tears, and sobbing when the car door shut. I cried more for him than for myself.

The roommate was already moved in when we got there. So dd didn't get choice of anything. (Like which bunk, which dresser, which closet..etc) we thought it would have been nice if she had waited but what can you do? Funny thing was the girls name wasn't even on the door! So the RA didn't know who her roommate was!

DS has been emailing back and forth with his roommate for a couple of months. But when he got to his room yesterday, there was a different guy's name on the door! I guess their roommate request didn't go through in the housing system. The roommate was already moved in, had a loft bed all set up. We moved DS in very quickly. You gotta love boys who don't like to have a lot of "stuff." Still never saw the roommate so DS left him a note with his cell #. The guy texted him later, said nice to hear from you, I left campus and may or may not be back tonight to sleep. Turns out he's from the local area, which might be a good thing because we're from California and DS is going to school in Florida. Might be nice to have someone who can tell him about the local area and the ins and outs of living in Florida. DS will meet him today for sure because they have orientation and a floor meeting.

We're doing the goodbye thing gradually. He moved in yesterday and slept in his room last night. We're staying in a condo nearby for three more days. We need to buy him a few more things and drop them off at some point. He may or may not have time for a meal with us between orientation sessions. As soon as we get home, I start back to work at my school job. I don't think DS or his brother (22) will have a hard time saying goodbye. Those guys could use a little time apart. They love each other, they're just very different and like to bicker. I won't miss that!

I am not looking forward to those feelings again. I remember feeling every mile of driving away from my kids, and the empty bedrooms are so depressing. When we dropped my oldest off, I was holding it together pretty well on the outside until my 10-year old (at the time...now the one heading off to college!) starting sobbing in the back seat. It does all start feeling like the new normal in time, though I still don't think it feels completely "right" around here even after all this time.

I'm crying reading about everyone's drop offs. I"m going to be a mess when DD's big day comes!

Which is why DH and I are planning a trip on our own to look forward to in October (Scotland for a week). I wanted to have something else to hyperfocus on.

This year has been an emotional roller coaster - DS23 got married in November, DD18 graduated in May, DMIL had an 85th birthday party, and now DD going off to college (DS didn't go). We need some time just to get away.

My daughter learned that one from the summer program at brown she did last year! This year we are going to be there very early so hopefully she will get there before the room mate!

She can still dance in shows! If she does musicals, she'll be one of the best dancers (if not the best) who auditions. Directors in youth theater are always on the hunt for really good dancers. DS's friend dropped dance in favor of drama when she got into high school. She's been prominently featured in every musical they've done. Last year, as a junior, she was asked to choreograph the entire musical (Seven Brides for Seven Brothers which is a dance-heavy show). This year, the director is going to hire a professional choreographer, but wants the this girl to be her assistant and have an opportunity to learn from her. Maybe your DD will also find a way to incorporate her dance training into theater.
Thanks for the encouraging words :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!