Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

Wednesday evening we moved our DS back to college for his junior year. It went really well and was way easier emotionally than move in day his freshman year. The hardest part was finding the mattress, boxspring, bed frame and futon he bought from a brother who lived in the house last year. It was literally buried in a pile of furniture that went from floor to ceiling in the fraternity house basement! Once we unburied it all, we had to lug it up 3 flights of stairs. DH didn't think he'd be able to fit all the stuff he brought into the room, but after we unpacked put everything away, the room looked really nice. It was freshly painted a nice tan color and has gorgeous wide plank hard wood floors.

We move DD to college this coming Wednesday. I have a feeling it will be a little harder emotionally. She is my baby girl, and once she's gone my nest will be empty.

I have a question if anyone can help. I will call her school but figured I'd get an idea here first. When I look online at my daughter's bill I notice that the financial aid (a few scholarships) is still pending. My balance is zero but it does say that aid is still pending. Is it normal to not have gone thru yet? I know after the beginning of Sept you get a late fee and I don't want that to happen. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks so much!

At my DD's University, scholarships are listed as pending until after her attendance at the first day of classes. We just have to pay the difference by the due date and then after she starts classes the scholarship posts to pay the rest.

Last edited:
I'm crabby. My DD's college keeps adding the wrong fees to her account. First, they added insurance, but she had already submitted our insurance. They took it off. Next, they added a commuter dining plan, which we told them months ago, we didn't want. They took it off. After all of that, she went in on Friday and paid her Fall semester. Today, we got an e-mail that says, because she is not staying on campus, they are taking a 2000.00 grant away from her. They didn't know that on Friday? Plus, - they KNEW she was commuting because they added that dining plan! What the heck? Can they tell her she owes more after she already paid it, supposedly in full?

I'm crabby. My DD's college keeps adding the wrong fees to her account. First, they added insurance, but she had already submitted our insurance. They took it off. Next, they added a commuter dining plan, which we told them months ago, we didn't want. They took it off. After all of that, she went in on Friday and paid her Fall semester. Today, we got an e-mail that says, because she is not staying on campus, they are taking a 2000.00 grant away from her. They didn't know that on Friday? Plus, - they KNEW she was commuting because they added that dining plan! What the heck? Can they tell her she owes more after she already paid it, supposedly in full?

Oh, that stinks. The grant should say what it's for. If it's for tuition you should be fine but if it's for room and board you'll likely have a problem with getting those funds.

Oh, no! How frustrating!

DD said goodbye to her BFF last night. They've been best friends since they were 4 and even though they went to different high schools, they've remained very close. There were lots of tears (girls and moms), but they know they'll stay in touch and will see each other over holidays.

DD said goodbye to her BFF last night. They've been best friends since they were 4 and even though they went to different high schools, they've remained very close. There were lots of tears (girls and moms), but they know they'll stay in touch and will see each other over holidays.

We had that Saturday too! My daughter said goodbye to best friend- some of them go so early and my daughter still has two weeks left. On the way up to her college at 5am she stopped and left my daughter a gift on the front step since she will be the last one leaving and no one will be left here to say goodbye to her! They all bring each other something when they go say goodbye- something small, like for this girl my daughter went to this custom cupcake shop and got her a hot fudge cupcake in a cute gift box. This girl left my daughter a ring pop and framed picture of the two of them. We have 2 more leaving this week so she has to come up with something for them.

I'm going to get off easy...DD is leaving this afternoon while I'm at work. We did another moving session on Saturday with her clothing and other personal items. Got her wifi set up and first grocery run done. Her pantry is stocked. At first she was going to stay there starting Saturday, but we decided since there wasn't going to be anything going on, and she can't get a parking permit until office hours, she might as well be home for the weekend. Then she was going to drive up this morning and attend the eclipse watching on campus. Yesterday she decided she would stay and watch the eclipse with DD15 and then drive up. So just DD will be the one in tears seeing her drive away :o

But she will be back home Thursday afternoon or Friday, depending on when she decides to come back for her sister's birthday weekend, so I think I'll be okay.

We stopped in at the screenprint/t-shirt shop she had emailed for a job through their Craigslist ad (and didn't hear from), but she decided not to say anything. When we went in Target, they had a Now Hiring sign up and we saw our pastor's son working there, so now she's thinking she'll try for Target next.

Oh, and it's raining a lot this morning, but there is a chance for a clearing by 1:00 for the eclipse. It's iffy though.

I got to go see dd unexpectedly! She ended up sicker than a dog By Friday. Her roommate went home, so I drove down early Saturday morning and nursed her. She caught a severe sinus infection and had enlarged lymph nodes with a pretty good fever going. She was miserable. So I showed up with soup, Kleenex, and the latest cosmo!

On a side note, I'm fairly certain the "back home" boyfriend is on the way out. They are too young, too far away, and nothing in common.

This week has been interesting - the majority of DD's friends have departed for school, DD and one of her close friends have opted for gap years. DD will be leaving for a month in New York City in early September.
She applied to Univ Alabama in Huntsville in early August, she was just notified of acceptance and received a merit award of full tuition/housing all 4 years, beginning Fall 2018.

She finally figured out that all that hard work in high school along with the 34 on her ACT gave her a sell-able commodity. She was complaining last month how the "athletes" got all the perks. I told her to start digging around, she might not be athletic but her test scores and high GPA due to her IB courses can be used to her advantage, just like an athlete. Its like the light bulb went on - sheesh......took long enough.
Now its become a game, how much merit can she secure! Works for me. She also applied to Howard Univ in DC. Howard is a HBCU, she is Caucasian but they have great merit so she figured why not and applied.

I got to go see dd unexpectedly! She ended up sicker than a dog By Friday. Her roommate went home, so I drove down early Saturday morning and nursed her. She caught a severe sinus infection and had enlarged lymph nodes with a pretty good fever going. She was miserable. So I showed up with soup, Kleenex, and the latest cosmo!

On a side note, I'm fairly certain the "back home" boyfriend is on the way out. They are too young, too far away, and nothing in common.
Awww, glad you could be there for her.

She applied to Univ Alabama in Huntsville in early August, she was just notified of acceptance and received a merit award of full tuition/housing all 4 years, beginning Fall 2018.

WOW! Guess everything is working out after all!

DD will be glad when classes actually start- she's finding it hard to fill these couple of days beforehand. Yesterday she got the rest of her books, her parking permit, her free gym membership set up, and found her classrooms so all of the major tasks she wanted to get done are completed. Today she thought she would walk the trails around campus. I told her to ask any roommates around if they want to join her. So far there has just been one roommate. Today surely the other two will come. Classes start tomorrow. Last night my sister's family was going out to supper for my sister's birthday and they were kind enough to pick DD up for that.

We dropped Niece off at school yesterday. She made friends with a girl from the next town over, so we might have a carpool for thanksgiving. Her roommate is a little bossy, but seems not horrible so far. She's lonely. I miss her terribly. Classes don't start until Monday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!