Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

When do your kids come home for winter break? DD's last final is on the 15th. only 12 more days!

My daughter is done with exams on the 18th and will come home on the 20th. She doesn't want to worry about packing, cleaning out the fridge and other stuff while studying for exams. If having one less day with her will reduce her stress I'm fine with that.

Christmas break is 12/14-1/8. She was going to ask to have her work scheduled in clumps, i.e. 3 days on/3 days off, so that she has gaps in which to come home, rather than ending up scheduled every other day or something. So we'll be seeing her off and on. We went up and shopped with her yesterday.

Today she was making Christmas Bingo cards for her roommates to play. They've got the apartment decorated all up!

My daughter's break is 12/19 (after last exam) until 1/29. She is going back to her part time job after NY day because her bf is home from the Air Force for about 10 days. I'm sure I mentioned this at some point but my dd's dorm is being used for the mini semester during the break. We have to pack up her whole room and bring everything home. So not happy about this. Prob. gonna go the week before and take what I can (clothes?) and then we will pack her up after her last class. There isn't too much we can do ahead of time as she'll need most things until the end. She has a friend at school that offered to take some stuff and keep in her dorm room. Thought that was sweet of her to offer.

My DD comes home 12/14. Her last final on the 13th is now online so she was wishing she was coming home on the 13th but the change fee is more than I paid for the flight. Now she concentrate 100% on exams and have the extra day to pack. She doesn't return until January 21st.

She should be getting her finals care package I sent today. I did a Nemo theme-just keep swimming.:teeth: I also included vitamins to stay healthy, Bath & Body Works aromatherapy hand sanitizer, BBW aromatherapy Focus & Sleep bath gel, and then a bunch of candy with corny notes-it's crunch time on a Crunch bar, love you to pieces on Reese's Pieces, you're on a roll on Tootsie Rolls, study extra hard on Extra gum, we miss you beary much on gummy bears, you're a smartie on Smarties, ....

Her roommate's birthday is finals week so I sent her a birthday package too-bday Oreos, Entenmann's confetti cakes and some birthday decorations.

Can't believe 1 semester is over already. That flew by!!!

My daughter's break is 12/19 (after last exam) until 1/29. She is going back to her part time job after NY day because her bf is home from the Air Force for about 10 days. I'm sure I mentioned this at some point but my dd's dorm is being used for the mini semester during the break. We have to pack up her whole room and bring everything home. So not happy about this. Prob. gonna go the week before and take what I can (clothes?) and then we will pack her up after her last class. There isn't too much we can do ahead of time as she'll need most things until the end. She has a friend at school that offered to take some stuff and keep in her dorm room. Thought that was sweet of her to offer.

Wow! Packing up the entire room would be such a pain in the neck! My son isn't allowed in his room for break, but at least he can leave all his stuff there.

My son's last final is December 15th. They need to be out of the dorms by December 19th, and classes start again on January 29th. There is a mini-semester for the month of January, but he's not taking that.

I sent a small care package out, but I kind of dropped the ball on making it really cute. I don't think he cares that much anyway. We are going to get him on the 15th and stay up there for the weekend to celebrate Christmas with my parents and my daughter.

Dd will be home on the 11th and has to be back on 1/9. She is sooo ready to be home. She has projects due the week before exams?!! Anyway she is worn out with one of her roommates already. This roommate has had very little responsibility at home . She had a maid and never did the dishes or laundry so she leaves the dirty dishes, clothes everywhere. She flushed one of the fish she thought did not look good alive down the toilet without talking to the other roommates. The straw that broke the camels back was loaning my daughter's car to her friend whom my daughter does not even know. When she told me this I thought she was making it up. SMH:sad2:

Curiosity question for those of you whose kids went some distance to school. What are your plans for cleaning out and storing all the dorm stuff for the summer?
When DS went to school his dorm was 8 miles from home, this was easy.
DD is going 900 miles - its a two day drive. I am wondering if we will be storing things or driving back and forth twice every summer. Just something that kind of occurred to us as we were planning out our vacation time to take her this coming summer.

My daughter has one final exam and two final papers. Her Calc final is on the 16th (on a Saturday!) and then I think she’s done.

She has asked to be moved from her dorm room due to some mean girls on the floor. Her roommate is okay, but the others have been making her life difficult. So ... we need to pack up all her stuff, move it home for the break and then move it back to a new dorm in January. Fun!

Curiosity question for those of you whose kids went some distance to school. What are your plans for cleaning out and storing all the dorm stuff for the summer?
When DS went to school his dorm was 8 miles from home, this was easy.
DD is going 900 miles - its a two day drive. I am wondering if we will be storing things or driving back and forth twice every summer. Just something that kind of occurred to us as we were planning out our vacation time to take her this coming summer.

I don't have one far away, but do you need to drive out to get her/take her back anyway? Or does she have a car there? My thought is if you are going after her, might as well take her stuff too as she will need at least some of it back home anyway.

I'm wondering how people deal with the logistics too. I found another school DD16 could qualify for automatic free tuition but it is 8 hours away. Questioning if it is worth the savings to be so far away. I'm not sure I would have her drive but then when she wants to come home it would be a long round trip for us!

I don't have one far away, but do you need to drive out to get her/take her back anyway? Or does she have a car there? My thought is if you are going after her, might as well take her stuff too as she will need at least some of it back home anyway.

I'm wondering how people deal with the logistics too. I found another school DD16 could qualify for automatic free tuition but it is 8 hours away. Questioning if it is worth the savings to be so far away. I'm not sure I would have her drive but then when she wants to come home it would be a long round trip for us!
I was thinking we would fly her back and forth like we will for Christmas breaks

My daughter has one final exam and two final papers. Her Calc final is on the 16th (on a Saturday!) and then I think she’s done.

She has asked to be moved from her dorm room due to some mean girls on the floor. Her roommate is okay, but the others have been making her life difficult. So ... we need to pack up all her stuff, move it home for the break and then move it back to a new dorm in January. Fun!

My daughter's BFF hasn't enjoyed her dorm experience either. I think she's requested to move out of Witte.

Hope your dd's living situation is better next semester!

I'm so sorry for all of you dealing with roomie drama - we were pretty lucky with DS, only one year was difficult and really it was just the final couple of months, this was with roomies he met his freshman year, they all roomed together their sophomore year - disaster. They were the best of friends, then the worst of friends and they finished out their college careers without ever speaking again. It was ugly.

DD will at least have a room to herself, she will have to deal with suite mates but not a roommate, after reading all the horror stories I'm thankful for the setup she is going into.

Sabeking, that sounds like a nightmare! I cannot begin to fathom how someone would think that behavior is ok.

Niece's roommate situation isn't great, but not horrible either. I'm planning to drive her down in the summer, but last year I did pay to store DD's refrigerator over the summer.

I'm sure I mentioned this at some point but my dd's dorm is being used for the mini semester during the break. We have to pack up her whole room and bring everything home. So not happy about this. Prob. gonna go the week before and take what I can (clothes?) and then we will pack her up after her last class. There isn't too much we can do ahead of time as she'll need most things until the end. She has a friend at school that offered to take some stuff and keep in her dorm room. Thought that was sweet of her to offer.

That is insane- I would SO not be happy about having to do that! At the end of the next semester I am paying a company that delivers boxes to the room, you pack your stuff up in the boxes and they pick them up, store them and deliver them to your new room the week before school starts in Sept. I can't be driving there and back with all that stuff every time- I have a mid sized car and had to ship half her stuff up before we went in Sept too!

That is insane- I would SO not be happy about having to do that! At the end of the next semester I am paying a company that delivers boxes to the room, you pack your stuff up in the boxes and they pick them up, store them and deliver them to your new room the week before school starts in Sept. I can't be driving there and back with all that stuff every time- I have a mid sized car and had to ship half her stuff up before we went in Sept too!
I had no idea such a service existed, I will be looking, what a great idea!

DH is leaving on the 14th to get DD - staying overnight with his mom in the town (it's so nice to have family in the college town!). He's going to dinner Thursday with DD and her new boyfriend -- okay -- it's her first ever boyfriend, so it's kind of a big deal. He's a freshman as well, an engineering major.

DD has an exam until 10 a.m. Friday (sucky because she's got two exams Monday, one Tuesday and then nothing until Friday morning). My guess (knowing DD) is that she'll have to pack afterward, and they won't leave until after noon, so home by 5 p.m. or so. I may try to work from home Friday so that I can have a decent dinner made for them.

Her classes start up again on the 10th -- DH is going to take her back over the weekend to spend time with his mom. I'm not sure if I'll go, as I'd have to take 2 days off pretty early in the calendar year, unless I drive separately or have DH take me to an Amtrak station. We'll see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter