Parking at the Fort...Charges Coming?

mickeyfan0805

DIS Veteran
There is increasing banter, and even some 'reporting' indicating that parking fees are coming to Disney resorts. Nothing official yet that I have seen, but it is looking more and more like this may have some truth to it. It all makes me wonder if/how they would try to bring this to the fort. Unlike the other resorts, it would raise some challenges for the campsites, but given the overcrowding in the overflow lot, I could see this coming in somehow. For cabin guests? For vehicles and trailers that won't fit on the site?

Hmm...

If they are thinking that way, I would say that MORE than one "everyday use vehicle" i.e. csr/truck per site should be enforced to park in Overflow Parking and then be charged, not unlike what private trailer parks do. Would clear up some congestion in the loops which sometimes hampers someone trying to back into their site or even leave. When you're allowed up to 10? people per site, probability is they didn't all arrive in one vehicle.

WDWNT.com has a story about it right now. If that report is correct the parking fee for guests at a resort will also be priced according to the level of the resort in question. At The Fort this could get real sticky. Will we have to pay for the site plus tow vehicle and camper
Over all it Looks like somebody wants to nickle and dime the majority of us from going to WDW all together

I just this moment got a forward from my wife that says Disney announces yada yada...oy....

From resorts board:

here is what i see
Resort Hotels
Registered Guests:

Overnight Self-Parking

• Effective for reservations made March 21, 2018 and thereafter, standard overnight self-parking is available to registered Guests for a fee that will be applied to their hotel folio upon check-out. All parking fees include applicable tax.
Standard Overnight Parking charges per Resort Category:

• Disney Value Resorts: $13 per night
  • Disney Moderate Resorts: $19 per night
  • Disney Deluxe and Deluxe Villa Resorts: $24 per night
Complimentary standard parking is available to Guests staying at the Campsites at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort. Each campsite provides parking space for one (1) motorized vehicle.

Valet Parking
Valet Parking is available at select Disney Deluxe Resorts and Disney Deluxe Villas for $33 per night (sales tax included).

Guests with Disabilities
Designated parking areas are available throughout Walt Disney World Resort for Guests with disabilities. A valid disability parking permit is required.
Learn more about services for Guests with disabilities.

Disney Vacation Club Members
Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying at a DVC Deluxe Villa, regardless of whether they use vacation points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

Day Guests
Complimentary standard self-parking is available while enjoying select dining, shopping, entertainment, and recreation experiences at Disney Resort hotels

One motorized vehicle. A golf cart is a motorized vehicle, is it not? That could get interesting.

So, one of the perks of staying at a resort has always been free parking at the parks but now they're gonna charge to park at the resort. The bean counters at Disney have really gone above and beyond at thinking up new ways to squeeze cash out of its guests.

Well, stpetedisneydad, you get ONE free car to park at the Fort which you can then drive to the parks and park it THERE for free.

It's effectively a mid-season rate increase for the resorts (another dose of which will be coming this summer) for 2019.

And wait till tiered pricing comes into effect for multi-day tickets.

What a mess of hot garbage THAT will be.

And they'll keep trying to squeeze another dollar out of us till people stop coming.

Bama Ed

PS - 4077's announcement says the parking fee will be applied "at checkout". Room rates are charged/applied at check-in. Wonder why the difference? Or am I splicing hairs and technically room rates are applied at check-out too?

PPS - the parking fee will not be applied to any reservation made before this policy goes into effect on 03/21/18.

Last edited:
In regards to 1 motorized vehicle, so if you tow a car behind your motorhome, will you be charged for your car, since the motorhome is a motorized vehicle?
Let's be honest, Disney wants you land locked and only spending money at their places of business. They already charge if you have packages (food) shipped to your hotel. I wonder how long before they add another cost to staying at the Fort, since we can cook many meals in our camper and bring our food and drinks into the resort with no extra charge from them.

From resorts board:

here is what i see
Resort Hotels
Registered Guests:

Overnight Self-Parking

• Effective for reservations made March 21, 2018 and thereafter, standard overnight self-parking is available to registered Guests for a fee that will be applied to their hotel folio upon check-out. All parking fees include applicable tax.

Complimentary standard parking is available to Guests staying at the Campsites at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort. Each campsite provides parking space for one (1) motorized vehicle.

Valet Parking
Valet Parking is available at select Disney Deluxe Resorts and Disney Deluxe Villas for $33 per night (sales tax included).

Guests with Disabilities
Designated parking areas are available throughout Walt Disney World Resort for Guests with disabilities. A valid disability parking permit is required.

Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying at a DVC Deluxe Villa, regardless of whether they use vacation points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

Day Guests
Complimentary standard self-parking is available while enjoying select dining, shopping, entertainment, and recreation experiences at Disney Resort hotels
Just read post this morning from Disney. Now, to see if Disney will enforce it. If Disney wants to rent golf carts they will not be included as a second vehicle. I'm sure that the"exempt" is for licensed tow vehicles and vehicles being towed by motor homes at camp sites.The question is will Disney reclassify and gas powered carts as a motor vehicle.

I assume it being assessed at checkout is in case you have to leave early you won't be charged for parking you didn't use.

From resorts board:

here is what i see
Resort Hotels
Registered Guests:

Overnight Self-Parking

Valet Parking

Guests with Disabilities

Day Guests
"Day Guests
Complimentary standard self-parking is available while enjoying select dining, shopping, entertainment, and recreation experiences at Disney Resort hotels."

Ok, so let me get this straight, hotel guests have to pay but day guests don't? That seems backwards. So you are better off saying you are at the resort to eat, shop or be entertained, even if you have a room?

Well, stpetedisneydad, you get ONE free car to park at the Fort which you can then drive to the parks and park it THERE for free.

I'm truly hoping that this is either a poor translation of the rule in the article, or one of those things that Disney will turn around on and say, 'Oops - didn't think of that!' If Joe Class C driver get's charged for the C-max he pulled in behind his 28' motorhome because that is two 'motorized' vehicles while Johnny Fifth-wheeler hauls in with his 42' unit and his F-450 doesn't pay because there's only one engine...!

And, as for the golf carts, I'm hoping people are right that this is about registered road vehicles - the impact of this charge for golf carts (assuming Disney rentals were exempt) would be the final nail in the coffin for offsite cart rentals - and could have some real negative impacts on cart parades, etc...

PS - 4077's announcement says the parking fee will be applied "at checkout". Room rates are charged/applied at check-in. Wonder why the difference? Or am I splicing hairs and technically room rates are applied at check-out too?

This has often been my experience with 'parking fees.' Even when I pre-pay for my stay, the parking fee shows up as part of my 'incidental charges' while there. Among other things, it's probably easier to do it this way than to try to have people properly identify what vehicles they will be bringing in prior to arrival.

While reading the continuing explosion on the resort board about this topic, I came across the following comment which completely cracked me up...and, I sort of agree with it...it is in the context of “whatever Disney does, they will still keep coming”...

From the resort board:

“After reading some of these comments, I feel like Disney could position a Cast Member to stand at the entrance to each park and punch guests in the face as they enter, and people would still find a way to defend it - and people would still come.”

:lmao::happytv::rotfl2:

:headache: Thank you can I have another!:headache:

I have to wonder if their hope is to get rid of long time Disney goers who remember how good the service was "back in the day"? If WDW is a once in a life time trip, then they don't need to bring their A game to get people to return. Disney can just give basic industry standard service and shrug their shoulders if the consumer isn't happy.

According to WDWinfo the Fort is currently spared.

Complimentary self-parking will remain for the following:

• Guests with disabilities
  • Cast Members staying as guests
  • Guests traveling as part of a group or convention
  • Guests staying at campsites at Fort Wilderness.
  • Guests who wish to dine, shop, enjoy activities, or visit a resort for the day

I wonder if this means more people will poach campsites as throwaways to use them for parking? How many cars are allowed on a site?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!