Parking at the Fort...Charges Coming?

I wish it would, but my guess is that people with throw-away sites will simply claim they have no car - and since there wouldn't ever be a car there, there is no way for anyone to show otherwise. Not sure it would have much of an impact.

Last time we were there, there was a site across from us with three cars parked on it and nothing else. I have no idea where they were staying, but clearly used their throwaway site as extra parking.

I recently priced out a stay on the Alabama Gulf Coast in a one bedroom condo across the street from the beach to simulate our stay at Gulf State Park around Memorial Day and see what the cost comparison would be between the two. But in doing so, I could see how future Fort charges would come based on the more sophisticated model used to price the condo (which has been refined over prior years).

With the condo there is a "processing fee" for making the reservation; Disney could charge a similar fee for the use of their reservation agents/systems.

With the condo there is a "cleaning fee" once you leave; Disney could charge a similar fee for when a site is blown/cleaned/prepped before you are given the site to set up.

With the condo there is a "resort fee" on the bill; Disney could charge that to cover the expenses of the common areas like playgrounds, trading posts, pools, and the Chip & Dale campfire sing-a-long and movie location.

With the condo there is a "parking fee" if you have a vehicle in the condo lot; Disney has that one covered in this thread - the first would not be charged but 2nd, 3rd, etc. would be.

Add in taxes and whatever else I missed, and the condo started to get expensive. They promoted on their website a nightly 1-BR rate of $113 but with taxes and fees, the effective rate (total cost divided by number of nights) was approximately TWICE that amount.

(the condo didn't offer WIFI in the units, just in the lobby area. Since the Fort offers WIFI in the campsites, I could see them offering a "Premium WIFI" for speeds that would support NetFlix and other video streaming for an up-charge and leave the slower, more crowded "Standard WIFI" for email and posting on the DIS.)

Add in possible payments for the airport Express service, charges for more FP+ or front-of-line passes, tiered pricing for multi-day tickets, the Fort could be right up there for WDW in terms of profitability. They already pushed the check-in times for campsites back from 1pm to 3pm in the last year or so which means they require fewer people (less cost) to get new sites ready daily.

Charging more, delivering less. That seems to be the new motto. Even the Fort will not be immune.

Bama Ed

I see lots of folks at the fort during the holidays staying for months on end wonder how that will work out? $13 bucks a day is $390 for the month kind of loony if you ask me.

I see lots of folks at the fort during the holidays staying for months on end wonder how that will work out? $13 bucks a day is $390 for the month kind of loony if you ask me.

For the most part, I would expect that those spending that kind of time are likely traveling with just one vehicle over and above their camping vehicle - so this charge would not have an impact. That said, for those who do winter in the south with an RV and two personal vehicles, I would anticipate that you are correct - this would have a notable effect on what they do!

@tripleb I was thinking the same thing lol

We have stayed at campgrounds that charged you if you left cigarette butts on the ground or garbage in the fire ring. But honestly, to me that was more a fine then an upcharge

For at least marketing reasons The cabins are considered separate from the camp sites. The Cabins are considered a Moderate.

Moderate inside, sure. But it’s still a campground. We don’t tow a trailer for golf carts and supplies to any of the other resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter