Parking plans and where to RD

momof2n2

DIS Veteran
So - I sat down here and used Google Earth to "walk" around the roads and parking complexes surrounding DLR.

In a word - "Whoa!"

I have not been at Disneyland since February, 1998.
Looks a little different.
:scared:

Our first day is our MM day and we will intend to leave our vacation rental in Garden Grove at 5:30. We will queue to park at the monstrosity that is Mickey Minnie Garage. We will do MM at DLP for 7AM.

Our other days are as follows:
Wednesday, 6/13
DL open 8A - 11P
DCA open 9A - 10P but has EMH

Saturday, 6/16
DL open 9A - 11P but has EMH
DCA open 9A - 10P

Tuesday, 6/19
DL open 8A-12A but has EMH/MM
DCA open 9A - 10P

I'm trying to establish a plan for rope drop.

Wednesday 6/13 both parks open to resort guests at 8AM, but DL opens to masses at 8AM and we'd have to wait until 9AM to enter DCA. I'm inclined to enter DL at rope drop at 8AM.

Saturday 6/16, DCA opens to public 9AM, and DL has EMH/MM on 8AM. I'm leaning toward DCA that day.

Tuesday, 6/19, I am thinking DCA at 9AM, over DL at 8 as it will have been open for EMH/MM for an hour.

And - where to park for all of these rope drops? Is MM always a solid choice when arriving an hour or more before park open? Can we walk from garage to Esplanade easily? I would prefer to never wait for a tram if we can walk it.

Is 90 minutes before park open a decent target for being at the garage? Or would 120 minutes before open be better?

This turned out to be a much longer post than I intended. I fear in my effort to provide as much info as possible, I've lost potential helpers. :oops:

As far as I am aware due to the current construction, There currently is no walking path from the parking structure to the parks.

If you want to rope drop, your best bet is Toy Story and do not bring any bags as in the mornings there will be a ni bag line and you can be through security in under 3 minutes, just have everything out of your pockets and I mean everything. Also if bringing a jacket, have everything out if the pockets of it, as you will take that through the metal detector with you, even if you aren't wearing it.

Yes at Toy Story, the lit opens slightly late, but the ride to the park takes less time than the approximately 45 minutes for the team from start to finish. Also, last I heard the Mickey and Friends security checkpoints do not have any no bag line.

As far as when to get there, Mickey and Friends opens about an hour before the park opens for early entry and Toy Story opens about 45 minutes to an hour before park opening.

As far as I am aware due to the current construction, There currently is no walking path from the parking structure to the parks.

If you want to rope drop, your best bet is Toy Story and do not bring any bags as in the mornings there will be a ni bag line and you can be through security in under 3 minutes, just have everything out of your pockets and I mean everything. Also if bringing a jacket, have everything out if the pockets of it, as you will take that through the metal detector with you, even if you aren't wearing it.

Yes at Toy Story, the lit opens slightly late, but the ride to the park takes less time than the approximately 45 minutes for the team from start to finish. Also, last I heard the Mickey and Friends security checkpoints do not have any no bag line.

As far as when to get there, Mickey and Friends opens about an hour before the park opens for early entry and Toy Story opens about 45 minutes to an hour before park opening.
There is a walking path from the structure. As you come off the escalators you walk straight and cross the tram path on the left where it turns to go back into the garage. From there it puts you out on the corner of Magic Way and Disneyland Dr. you then turn right and walk towards the Downtown Disney parking lot where you enter through to walk. There are signs directing where to go.

Don’t do TS for any early entry as it opens later than the garage and not early enough for early entry.

The garage will open 90 minutes before the actual opening time, not 90 minutes before early entry. So if they open at 8, and you want to go to early entry at 7, you’ll want to be in line for the garage by 6:30. On any day that has no early entry, it will open one hour prior to park opening. It has never ever once taken us 45 minutes from arriving at the toll booth to being at the front gate and we always ride the tram. That’s bananas.

There is a walking option, even with the construction. The walk right now with the construction is long, forces you to back track out of the way, and takes way longer than the trams. Especially so early. The longest waiting part is for security which you have to go though either way. We rarely wait more than about 5 minutes for a tram at that hour while the walk can take 15-20. You do have to cross a street so you have to wait at a traffic light, may as well wait that time for a tram and be dropped at the entrance instead.

Don’t do TS for any early entry as it opens later than the garage and not early enough for early entry.

The garage will open 90 minutes before the actual opening time, not 90 minutes before early entry. So if they open at 8, and you want to go to early entry at 7, you’ll want to be in line for the garage by 6:30. On any day that has no early entry, it will open one hour prior to park opening. It has never ever once taken us 45 minutes from arriving at the toll booth to being at the front gate and we always ride the tram. That’s bananas.

There is a walking option, even with the construction. The walk right now with the construction is long, forces you to back track out of the way, and takes way longer than the trams. Especially so early. The longest waiting part is for security which you have to go though either way. We rarely wait more than about 5 minutes for a tram at that hour while the walk can take 15-20. You do have to cross a street so you have to wait at a traffic light, may as well wait that time for a tram and be dropped at the entrance instead.
Yes, if you are doing early entry, but the OP is not doing early entry, they are only doing rope drop.

If you count from the moment you get out of your car until the moment you are off the team, it takes 30 to 45 minutes, minimum at the structure (I have had it take over an hour on a busy day and I get parked in the back corner of the structure and have indeed waited 45 minute to get on a tram). And if an escalator is down, getting back to your car or into the parks can take even longer.

If you do the same at Toy Story, it takes about 15 minutes max and you get a heated/air conditioned ride. Not to mention the substantially shorter walk back to your car at the end of the night.

Yes, if you are doing early entry, but the OP is not doing early entry, they are only doing rope drop.

If you count from the moment you get out of your car until the moment you are off the team, it takes 30 to 45 minutes, minimum at the structure (I have had it take over an hour on a busy day and I get parked in the back corner of the structure and have indeed waited 45 minute to get on a tram). And if an escalator is down, getting back to your car or into the parks can take even longer.

If you do the same at Toy Story, it takes about 15 minutes max and you get a heated/air conditioned ride. Not to mention the substantially shorter walk back to your car at the end of the night.

They are doing MM on their first day, according to the post.

I have never ever once had it take 45 minutes from the garage to the gate. And I have 3 kids, wait in the elevator line, and have to wait for a stroller section on the tram. I’ve had an AP since 1996 and have never had it take that long first thing in the morning as the OP is doing, even on a busy holiday day. Mid-day, ok maybe, but we only go at opening, and always park prior to gate opening, which is what the OP is aiming for.

Last edited:
Prior to park opening has always been the worst, seriously the times I mentioned are minimum times and that was by myself.

Wow. Lots of info. Thank you.

Other than the morning that we are participating in the early entry/magic morning, we are choosing the park but does not have the magic morning. What arriving 90 minutes before the park opens afford us enough time to be near the front of the pack for opening?

There is no way we would be bag free. We would also have a stroller. Do you still recommend a toy story lot?

There is a walking path from the structure. As you come off the escalators you walk straight and cross the tram path on the left where it turns to go back into the garage. From there it puts you out on the corner of Magic Way and Disneyland Dr. you then turn right and walk towards the Downtown Disney parking lot where you enter through to walk. There are signs directing where to go.

Thank you. This is currently allowed?

Here’s the thing: I’m uptight.
I don’t like waiting for trams and monorails. Last trip to WDW we were in the lots before the parking attendants even arrived for the day and were the first cars in the lots 3/5 days and first in line for the park 3/5 days. If we CAN walk, I’d prefer it.

I’m okay being last to a car at night, as long as I’m first to the park in the morning?

What about dropping people off and then parking? Smart, not smart? Thoughts?

Mickey and Friends lot. Be there bright and early, 90 minutes before the park opens for regular guests.

Yes, the walking path is still open. It takes a long time (I did it on the way out from DCA when there were super long lines for the tram).

You can try the drop off the kids/other parent option if you want to drop them off at DTD and then double-back to the structure. They can wait for you in the lines in front of DLR and you can join them after you park.

Other than the morning that we are participating in the early entry/magic morning, we are choosing the park but does not have the magic morning. What arriving 90 minutes before the park opens afford us enough time to be near the front of the pack for opening?

There is no way we would be bag free. We would also have a stroller. Do you still recommend a toy story lot?

I don’t like waiting for trams and monorails. Last trip to WDW we were in the lots before the parking attendants even arrived for the day and were the first cars in the lots 3/5 days and first in line for the park 3/5 days. If we CAN walk, I’d prefer it.

I’m okay being last to a car at night, as long as I’m first to the park in the morning?

Yes on the walking being allowed.

M&F will open 30 minutes before EMH/MM and Toy Story lot typically opens 45-60 minutes before regular park opening.

I personally recommend parking at M&F because security is less crazy there then it is on Harbor where you would enter if parking at Toy Story. Those that park at Toy Story have to take a place 5-7 minutes bus ride and then get mixed in with guests arriving on ART buses and walking from the nearby motels to go through security.

I would not recommend dropping people then going to park as you would go out of your way with getting to the structure to do that.

If you are parking in the structure I would look at the security line before deciding to walk. These days it is faster to go through security and take the tram then to walk over through Downtown Disney.

Yes on the walking being allowed.

M&F will open 30 minutes before EMH/MM and Toy Story lot typically opens 45-60 minutes before regular park opening.

I personally recommend parking at M&F because security is less crazy there then it is on Harbor where you would enter if parking at Toy Story. Those that park at Toy Story have to take a place 5-7 minutes bus ride and then get mixed in with guests arriving on ART buses and walking from the nearby motels to go through security.

I would not recommend dropping people then going to park as you would go out of your way with getting to the structure to do that.

If you are parking in the structure I would look at the security line before deciding to walk. These days it is faster to go through security and take the tram then to walk over through Downtown Disney.

I do apologize if I am asking questions that should have already been clear to me in my quest for more information… So if I go through security at the garage, I’m done with going through security for as long as I remain in the two parks? How early does security get started? How early do the trams start running?

If I am in line for the garage at 5:30AM in the morning for a 7 AM opening, the trams and security are already up and running?

I can’t believe I just used the words “in line for a garage at 5:30 in the morning.” :joker:

I’m so glad I am having this “conversation” now. This whole garage/parking situation is so unlike Walt Disney World.

I do apologize if I am asking questions that should have already been clear to me in my quest for more information… So if I go through security at the garage, I’m done with going through security for as long as I remain in the two parks? How early does security get started? How early do the trams start running?

If I am in line for the garage at 5:30AM in the morning for a 7 AM opening, the trams and security are already up and running?

I can’t believe I just used the words “in line for a garage at 5:30 in the morning.” :joker:

I’m so glad I am having this “conversation” now. This whole garage/parking situation is so unlike Walt Disney World.

The trams will start running about 30 minutes before MM begins. The earliest park opening is 8AM, so you'r MM would be 7AM. You don't need to be in line for the garage at 5:30. We commute down from just north of Los Angeles fairly regularly and you really would be fine getting in the line up around 6:15. You can walk if you don't want to wait for the tram, but really, it won't cut into your time too badly to wait. Just head straight to the lines to get into the park once you get off the tram. Otherwise, you won't make rope drop. MM/EMH is mainly geared to people staying within walking distance or onsite, so you'll have a ton of people who just walked there from their hotels already lined up.

The trams will start running about 30 minutes before MM begins. The earliest park opening is 8AM, so you'r MM would be 7AM. You don't need to be in line for the garage at 5:30. We commute down from just north of Los Angeles fairly regularly and you really would be fine getting in the line up around 6:15. You can walk if you don't want to wait for the tram, but really, it won't cut into your time too badly to wait. Just head straight to the lines to get into the park once you get off the tram. Otherwise, you won't make rope drop. MM/EMH is mainly geared to people staying within walking distance or onsite, so you'll have a ton of people who just walked there from their hotels already lined up.

I think my brain is mush a lot of things together this moment. I will be leaving our rental property at 5:30 in the morning. I should probably be to the parking structure by 5:45PM, or 6 AM at the latest.

It sounds like as long as security is up and running at the garage I should just press forward from there.
My kids have enjoyed the trams the rare occasion when we have used them… But I’m going back about a decade. LOL.

I think my brain is mush a lot of things together this moment. I will be leaving our rental property at 5:30 in the morning. I should probably be to the parking structure by 5:45PM, or 6 AM at the latest.

It sounds like as long as security is up and running at the garage I should just press forward from there.
My kids have enjoyed the trams the rare occasion when we have used them… But I’m going back about a decade. LOL.
Yes. Just a warning you may be waiting 30-45 minutes for the toll booths to open if you arrive that early since they won't open till about 6:30am on a 7am EMH/8am opening day.

Yes. Just a warning you may be waiting 30-45 minutes for the toll booths to open if you arrive that early since they won't open till about 6:30am on a 7am EMH/8am opening day.
Good to know. Thank you.
But.
Annoying, too.
It does sound like i am at a significant disadvantage for rope drop as an off-off-site first. :(

Good to know. Thank you.
But.
Annoying, too.
It does sound like i am at a significant disadvantage for rope drop as an off-off-site first. :(
Yes, it is a little tricky to get in to MM if you are off site, but we rope drop ALL the time, and we commute from Huntington Beach. I think you are stressing yourself out more than necessary. DL is SO much more easy going than WDW. I really would not try to get creative, and just get in the parking garage line prior to 6:30 and you WILL be inside for rope drop. I promise. Unless you make a million stops for the bathroom or walk EXTREMELY slow. If you are among the first cars into the garage, you will be parked near the elevator/escalator and will have a short walk. They always park closest to the escalators first and then farther out. Once you get downstairs you are steps away from security and then steps away from the tram, it is all extremely close together. Like I mentioned, we do it all the time, I only go first thing the morning because I like getting inside and using that first golden hour of riding rides before it gets busy, and I have never had a problem getting inside.

Also, rope drop is never one hour prior to park opening. Maybe 15-20 minutes at most is the earliest I have seen turnstiles open and we do rope drop all the time. There is no "official" rope drop time, it varies and is not guaranteed. Some days they do not open turnstiles until opening time on the dot.

Early entry/MM gets in a separate turnstile, they do not let everyone in.

If you are 90 minutes early, yes you will get inside toward the front for rope drop.

I do NOT recommend the Toy Story lot with a stroller. I have done it, is sucks to put the stroller on the bus and will slow you down. If you are going for quicker and easier, you can wheel the stroller - unfolded- on to the last car of the tram. Also the first, but that is also wheelchair access so you could get bumped for a wheelchair.

It is not like WDW. Promise! Hop on that tram and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
Just for reference... When we arrive it takes me max 15 minutes to get out of the car with 3 kids their stuff and a stroller, down the elevator, through security and be standing in a tram line. Sometimes faster if there is zero line at security (sometimes a minute longer if my two big kids cannot get it together lol). I mobile order my coffee at the Starbucks in DTD as soon as we hit the tram line, and sometimes I get there before it is even done. It is usually about a 10 minute wait for a mobile order. The actual tram ride is like maybe 4 minutes or so. I have DL with 3 kids by myself down to a science. I may also be a total creature of habit. I get really annoyed when people slow me down ;-)

I also like to be at the toll booth right when it opens, I like to park in the first row, and I like to get my coffee and get in line at the gate way before turnstiles start moving. That's my silly routine.

Yes, it is a little tricky to get in to MM if you are off site, but we rope drop ALL the time, and we commute from Huntington Beach. I think you are stressing yourself out more than necessary. DL is SO much more easy going than WDW. I really would not try to get creative, and just get in the parking garage line prior to 6:30 and you WILL be inside for rope drop. I promise. Unless you make a million stops for the bathroom or walk EXTREMELY slow. If you are among the first cars into the garage, you will be parked near the elevator/escalator and will have a short walk. They always park closest to the escalators first and then farther out. Once you get downstairs you are steps away from security and then steps away from the tram, it is all extremely close together. Like I mentioned, we do it all the time, I only go first thing the morning because I like getting inside and using that first golden hour of riding rides before it gets busy, and I have never had a problem getting inside.

Also, rope drop is never one hour prior to park opening. Maybe 15-20 minutes at most is the earliest I have seen turnstiles open and we do rope drop all the time. There is no "official" rope drop time, it varies and is not guaranteed. Some days they do not open turnstiles until opening time on the dot.

Early entry/MM gets in a separate turnstile, they do not let everyone in.

If you are 90 minutes early, yes you will get inside toward the front for rope drop.

I do NOT recommend the Toy Story lot with a stroller. I have done it, is sucks to put the stroller on the bus and will slow you down. If you are going for quicker and easier, you can wheel the stroller - unfolded- on to the last car of the tram. Also the first, but that is also wheelchair access so you could get bumped for a wheelchair.

It is not like WDW. Promise! Hop on that tram and enjoy the ride.

Just for reference... When we arrive it takes me max 15 minutes to get out of the car with 3 kids their stuff and a stroller, down the elevator, through security and be standing in a tram line. Sometimes faster if there is zero line at security (sometimes a minute longer if my two big kids cannot get it together lol). I mobile order my coffee at the Starbucks in DTD as soon as we hit the tram line, and sometimes I get there before it is even done. It is usually about a 10 minute wait for a mobile order. The actual tram ride is like maybe 4 minutes or so. I have DL with 3 kids by myself down to a science. I may also be a total creature of habit. I get really annoyed when people slow me down ;-)

I also like to be at the toll booth right when it opens, I like to park in the first row, and I like to get my coffee and get in line at the gate way before turnstiles start moving. That's my silly routine.

I appreciate all of these posts.
While our local, family-owned theme park is no DLR, we’ve done the annual pass things more years than not. I get having a system and it’s a beautiful thing.

Not having a system for DLR bugs me and is why I’m asking so many questions. I love the help available here!!!

The only piece that isn’t clicking for me as though mobile-Starbucks order. When you get in the tram line and you order coffee, are you saying it sometimes takes 10 minutes to get the tram to the pick up and wait in line for the coffee?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!