Party of 2. One regular menu and one complicated allergy menu please! June 2018

Oh no! Sad anniversary hot dog! :rotfl2:

It's good that you had such a nice experience at trattoria al forno to make up for it. Looks like they hit it out of the park!

Is that citrus swirl for lunch? Looks fantastic!!!

Citrus swirl is always an appropriate lunch. :thumbsup2

I think next time I just skip right to that

Oh no! Sad anniversary hot dog! :rotfl2:!

Isn't it totally pathetic?

Following! I love allergy reviews!
Me too. I get so happy when I see the words "gluten free" or "allergy" in a review title

Always happy to see reviews from another adult with food allergies
It's super easy to find the kiddie meal reviews I think but not much for us!

Sorry it's take so long for me to get back with an update. Getting kids back to school is always crazy not to mention June 30 is year end for one my jobs so I have been a crazy mess lately! But kids are back in and settled down so let's get back to food!

We left MK but not before this

enhance

My mom sent me $100 in Starbucks cards for my bday in April and I hoarded those suckers just for this trip :)

We showered and changed and took a Minnie Van to the Grand Floridian for dinner. We had time to kill so we stopped in Mizners for a pre dinner cocktail. I never get to do this. I felt so grown up! But boo to the only snacks being gluten filled.
enhance

We eventually started walking for our dinner reservations
enhance

I have waited years for this. We never eat signatures because we always travel with kids. I had to tried to time our reservation so we would be able to see both the EWP and the fireworks and we were really hoping for a window seat. I was so surprised at how empty the place really was an check out my view!
enhance

Amer was our waiter and this guy made us feel like royalty. He was so super concerned about my allergies and making sure we had a great night. He came up to ask if we were going to watch the fireworks outside when he saw we hadn't gone out and told us they were holding our dinner until afterwards. I asked him for a glass of pino and he recommended the best red wine I've ever had in my life. (I wanted white but didnt specify and he said if I hated the red he would replace it with white but I kept the red!)

For the wine snobs, it was Belle Glos Pino Noir Los Alturas. My son's girlfriend works at a restaurant with a wine bar and when I sent her the picture of the label she went crazy saying it was one of her favorites :)

So, food. I started with EnerG rolls with the pink sea salt butter. The usual, but these were a tad overheated. Trattoria did a better job on the roll
enhance

Apparently the husband forgot his picture of his bread once again. Amateur.

And of course I'm getting lobster. They subbed roasted potatoes for the corn spoon bread
enhance

My other half got the same with no changes from the menu
enhance

Dessert was disappointing because my options were pretty much nil (I really wanted that almond crusted cheesecake but it wasn't baked high enough temps to make the egg content safe) I was going to skip it but Amer insisted I get the raspberry sorbet and fresh berries because "you have to have something sweet......and it's included on the dining plan" and he was spot on. It was super light and the berries were giant
enhance

DH got the candy bar. He said it was very good but really rich.
enhance

After we paid the check we asked Amer to take our picture since it was our anniversary and he was so disappointed that no one had told him. It was on our reservation because I had to call and add my allergies after I made the reservation and the guy asked and added it. He insisted on bringing us a champagne toast but we declined. He felt so bad and kept apologizing like crazy that he had ruined our night because we had no toast and there was no writing on dessert and no candles :) It was really not a big deal to us at all but I so appreciate how bad he felt!

Just because I have another picture before I hit the 10, how's this view from the veranda for Happily Ever After? They even pipe the music in
enhance

As if our livers hadn't already worked overtime today we decided to take the resort launch to the Polynesian and see if we could get into Trader Sams. We really don't drink much at home, so pre dinner cocktails and drinks at dinner is already a lot for us.

There were maybe 8 people in there so we got a seat at a table and people watched until we pretty closed the place down. We had such a great time watching the special effects and chatting with our waitress (who I am so bummed to not have gotten her name!)

I got a Hippopotomai-tai
enhance

DH got a Shrunken Zombie Head
enhance

And a semi drunken picture. These things are strong
enhance

enhance

Starbucks in front of the castle... my favorite sight :lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc

Those cocktails look beautiful!

That LOBSTER :lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc

Yay for drunken pictures at Trader Sams! :rotfl: It looks like you guys had a great night!

Following along! Great reviews so far! And happy anniversary! Nothing like an adult only vacation to celebrate!

For the wine snobs, it was Belle Glos Pino Noir Los Alturas
I'm not a wine snob, I am more than happy to drink the cheap stuff, but this one is FANTASTIC!

After we paid the check we asked Amer to take our picture since it was our anniversary and he was so disappointed that no one had told him. It was on our reservation because I had to call and add my allergies after I made the reservation and the guy asked and added it. He insisted on bringing us a champagne toast but we declined. He felt so bad and kept apologizing like crazy that he had ruined our night because we had no toast and there was no writing on dessert and no candles :) It was really not a big deal to us at all but I so appreciate how bad he felt!
Oh my gosh, the poor guy. I'm just imagining him doing this :worship:

I am so glad you got a fabulous experience at Narcoossee's, we really need to get there sooner rather than later! Your trader sam's cocktails are my two favorites... And strong!!! But live it up when you're on adults-only vacation. Great update!

Following along! Happy belated anniversary and a kids free trip?!? Wow! :lovestruc Your review of trattoria made me promptly look up and book an ADR for dinner when we are there!

Also following along. Celiac disease here, so when someone says "allergy" or "gluten free," I am there.

Oh, and I am the crazy person that doesn't enjoy baked goods from Erin McKenna. Sorry, I just feel like my mouth is coated with grease after I am through eating.

Starbucks in front of the castle... my favorite sight :lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc
!

I ran out into the street to take that picture while DH was waiting on his drink a photopass photographer offered to take my picture with my chai. He said it happens a lot :)

Following along! Great reviews so far! And happy anniversary! Nothing like an adult only vacation to celebrate!

We always go somewhere for our anniversary for at least a weekend and every 5 try to do a longer trip. This was by far the most fun!

I'm not a wine snob, I am more than happy to drink the cheap stuff, but this one is FANTASTIC!

I never drink red wine and I could drink this all day long. If I could afford it :)

Your review of trattoria made me promptly look up and book an ADR for dinner when we are there!

It was so good. I dream about that chicken. I'm heading back to WDW next month and I'm so peeved we won't be able to work in a visit to eat there. I may have to insist on going back.

Oh, and I am the crazy person that doesn't enjoy baked goods from Erin McKenna. Sorry, I just feel like my mouth is coated with grease after I am through eating.

I can't do the cupcakes. That frosting is nasty and I think that's the coconut oil grease. But trust me, the pineapple upside down cake and cinnamon rolls were amazing.

You’re making me want to go to Narccosees now! Loving the report!

It was such a nice evening. We were laughing because the waiter kept scraping crumbs off the table and we were like "we're slobs, just leave it" :)

Oh, and my rolls were from a different manufacturer. They were Deanna's, and they were delicious.

I've never had Deanna's before. I need to go research!

I had purposely planned early afternoon fastpasses at AK for this day because I knew we were going to be out late the night before. But on the way back to Yacht Club the night before, slightly drunk and stupid exhausted, we made the decision to cancel them all and just spend the day at the resort until dinner. It turned out to be such a good decision. It was stupid hot and taking the break was so nice. I posted on facebook that the overplanner me had canceled all of our plans and we were currently doing nothing, and I had 45 people comment they thought I was sick!

We had planned on Satuli Canteen for lunch and I was really looking forward to it, but staying at YC for the day means I got these for brunch instead.
enhance

These came from Marketplace at Ale and Compass. Funny story about the bacon. They actually make the Mickey waffles at Cape May and bring them over, so they take awhile. I didn't order bacon because, well let's face it, I've had my cholesterol quota for the year. The chef (Dylan) kept apologizing that I had to wait for my food and I finally joked "Look, I drove 17 hours for these Mickey waffles, waiting a few more minutes isn't that big of a deal". He said anyone who had to drive that far to get a waffle needed bacon and he handed me a plate. Halfway through breakfast he brought out another plate full!

And for lunch today, butter pecan ice cream in a gluten free cone.

enhance

Which promptly melted and fell on my foot.

I had purposely planned early afternoon fastpasses at AK for this day because I knew we were going to be out late the night before. But on the way back to Yacht Club the night before, slightly drunk and stupid exhausted, we made the decision to cancel them all and just spend the day at the resort until dinner. It turned out to be such a good decision. It was stupid hot and taking the break was so nice. I posted on facebook that the overplanner me had canceled all of our plans and we were currently doing nothing, and I had 45 people comment they thought I was sick!

We had planned on Satuli Canteen for lunch and I was really looking forward to it, but staying at YC for the day means I got these for brunch instead.
enhance

These came from Marketplace at Ale and Compass. Funny story about the bacon. They actually make the Mickey waffles at Cape May and bring them over, so they take awhile. I didn't order bacon because, well let's face it, I've had my cholesterol quota for the year. The chef (Dylan) kept apologizing that I had to wait for my food and I finally joked "Look, I drove 17 hours for these Mickey waffles, waiting a few more minutes isn't that big of a deal". He said anyone who had to drive that far to get a waffle needed bacon and he handed me a plate. Halfway through breakfast he brought out another plate full!

And for lunch today, butter pecan ice cream in a gluten free cone.

enhance

Which promptly melted and fell on my foot.
Who carries gluten free cones??? (??

Love reading your reviews of gluten free food, we are about to take our first trip and my husband has celiac disease. Thanks for sharing! :)
)

If I was doing fancy titles for my report, this meal would be labeled as "the day we stuffed ourselves to the point of no return".

I have been dreaming about Sanaa forever. Gluten free naan? Are you kidding? However, I have houseful of only sort of adventurous eaters so even taking them to Boma, which I've done a few times, pushes the boundaries. They'll happily eat cuisine from many different countries but African inspired food just doesn't ring their bell. For me, I could live on it. So this was my choice for my must do this trip

As a reward for my patience in waiting forever to eat here, they graced us with the table the hostess called the "most requested in the place". OUr waiter was Yuness and this guy was awesome. Not only did he help me with the menu and what was safe, he made sure to tell me if anything on DH's plate would be safe in case I was tempted to sample.

DH started with the mango margarita. I, for the life of me, have no idea what my drink is. I didn't write it down thinking I'd rely on looking at a menu later and it's not on here. I remember saying it was really good. I think maybe a watermelon margarita??
enhance

We went hole hog on the bread service with all 9 dips. I was given 2 of the gluten free naan and DH 5 variety gluten filled. All of the dips are gluten free, but with my tomato allergy they pulled off 3 that were not safe for me and put them on a separate plate for DH.

enhance

And DH's naan and the 3 not safe for me dips.
enhance

So this is when I wish we would have been paying out of pocket. I inhaled the bread service and still had a full dinner and dessert coming and was already going to be full! Poor planning on our part, especially since we had to pay OOP for one of our meals later. I wish we would have split the bread service and an entree and not used a dining credit.

However I was a trooper and I ate pretty much every single bite of my dinner. I'm not a huge fan of sausage but this one was spiced differently and so good, along with pork and lamb chop

South African Braaivleis
enhance

DH was a little more uncomfortable than I trying to eat 5 pieces of naan (he did give up) and then a dinner. He went with the Potjie Inspired with butter chicken, spicy shrimp and well, I don't know what the third choice was because I was enamored by this

enhance

But here is DH's entree that I only know what 3 of the 4 are :)
enhance

He thought everything was okay, but remember, he gets twitchy at Boma so this was really branching out for him. He made a pretty decent size dent considering the bread overload.

I tried to refuse dessert but Yuness really pushed the Kheer, a coconut rice pudding. It was perfectly light

enhance

Not sure where DH put it, but he ended up getting the Kenyan Coffee Petit Entremet. It was super rich and he was stuffed so there was no way he was going to finish it. They offered to box it up but we were heading to Animal Kingdom so we left a lot of it behind.
enhance

I was thrilled with Sanaa. DH was okay with it. I do wish we would have paid out of pocket and split everything. I felt like we wasted some food, and we were almost uncomfortably full. Walking around Animal Kingdom and trying to ride FOP and EE that full is almost dangerous :)

And you are all going to laugh when you find out we actually went for a snack later that night. So much for being stuffed!!!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts