Passport needed for my toddler

yitbos96bb

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
Will we need to get a passport for our toddler for the cruise? I know the law is changing June 1, 2009, so I'm not totally sure what is needed and isn't needed for her.

Thanks Kevin. We have to apply for them for our girls, too.

For other parents out there, we decided to go for the passport book and not the card (although as I'm writing this, I may change my mind...).

Our reasoning: If we had an emergency and had to fly home, we couldn't use the cards to fly. However, for an additional $20 per person, the cards give peace of mind to prove that you had a passport and would be helpful to prove you indeed had one to begin with. Since they are good for 10 , you never know what you'll be doing in those ten years....

This is the best place to find the official information regarding passports.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Yeah I saw that before posting... I just didn't find it that clear in regards to Toddlers. Further research found that in some cases yes and some cases no.

Since we won't be flying out of the country in the next 5 years, I think we will do the Passport Card for her

Thanks Kevin. We have to apply for them for our girls, too.

For other parents out there, we decided to go for the passport book and not the card (although as I'm writing this, I may change my mind...).

Our reasoning: If we had an emergency and had to fly home, we couldn't use the cards to fly. However, for an additional $20 per person, the cards give peace of mind to prove that you had a passport and would be helpful to prove you indeed had one to begin with. Since they are good for 10 , you never know what you'll be doing in those ten years....

Not $20... $50 dollar difference. Passport Books for kids are $85 and the cards are $35.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/fees/fees_837.html

The $20 dollar difference was the price (based on 2 kids) between getting "only the passport book" or the "book and card" combo. In the end, we opted for just the books.

The book and card combo is $95 for each child.

It's $20 more for each adult.

The $20 dollar difference was the price (based on 2 kids) between getting "only the passport book" or the "book and card" combo. In the end, we opted for just the books.

What would the benifit be to having both?

We got the book for Ginny (DD 1year old) for the last cruise. I would highly recommend this.

They are good for five years as children change more in five years than adults. :)

Ah I see.... Cool. Yeah that makes more sense.

I just renewed my passport last December. Not that I had plans to go anywhere, but it really stressed me out to know that I couldn't travel for the month that it was expired. What is the deal of a lifetime came out and I didn't have a valid passport? :)

I just renewed my passport last December. Not that I had plans to go anywhere, but it really stressed me out to know that I couldn't travel for the month that it was expired. What is the deal of a lifetime came out and I didn't have a valid passport? :)

I miss the old rules... I still remember being able to get into Canada with my Driver's license. I actually LOST it in Canada and they let me back in with a State ID card.

What would the benifit be to having both?

Having the card to back up the book or the opposite. Have you ever tried to fly with having your Driver's license stolen. It's not pretty and what a hassle. If you loose the book - you technically can't fly. But, if you had the card to show them, along with your police report that your book is gone, then you would stand a better chance of less hassles.

Stash them in different spots and if one gets lost, at least you have the other to prove some identity to facilitate replacing the 2nd one. If you went to an embassy and said - look my book is gone, here's my card for reference, then at least you have a quicker method of replacing the book (or valid proof you are a US Citizen...)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts