Paying For Place Holder or Down payment w OBC?

katmigordon

DIS Veteran
I am planning on putting more cash on our account than I think we'll actually spend - and I'm doing it with Gift Cards. If it looks like we're going to have the money left over from that, can we use it to book our next cruise or a placeholder on board?

I am planning on putting more cash on our account than I think we'll actually spend - and I'm doing it with Gift Cards. If it looks like we're going to have the money left over from that, can we use it to book our next cruise or a placeholder on board?

If I remember correctly, they ask for a credit card for placeholders, it's not taken from the stateroom account.

You can use gift cards but if you end up canceling later on, it gets refunded to the gift card. As for OBC's, I don't know if they'll apply those or not.

I just got off the Wonder last week. I didn't want to have to keep the gift cards around just in case something happened. It's just much easier to put it on a card.

You should be able to use gift cards towards your on board booking but not after you’ve applied them towards your stateroom. The on board booking is a separate transaction from your monies applied to pay towards your stateroom charges. So you should keep some gift cards to the side if you want to use them for the onboard booking and then what’s left, you take to guest services and have it applied towards your room charges. “Spiders” is correct though, if it gets refunded for any reason, you’ll want to keep that gift card handy.

I purchased a placeholder with a gift card; however, I didn't try to do it via stateroom credit. I don't think that they offered the option of charging the placeholder to your stateroom.

There is no real reason to put more OBC on your account than you plan on spending. As long as you are keeping the balance below the threshold to get charged to your credit card, you can 'pay as you go' during the cruise. For our last cruise, I put an initial amount of OBC down off of a gift card, which we burned through fairly quickly with Palo, spa for my wife, bingo, shopping, etc. If we spent a lot, I'd add more, and then on the last night I got a balance and paid exactly the amount due with another gift card. Call me conservative, but I'd rather pay what I owe than risk any issues with getting a refund on the correct gift card.

No. OBC cannot be used for a deposit in a future cruise, regardless of the source of that OBC.

Ok, so I'm going to put about half of my GCs down & hold onto the rest. Put them down directly on the Placeholder and if needed apply them to
the rest of the account if needed at the end.

Ok, so I'm going to put about half of my GCs down & hold onto the rest. Put them down directly on the Placeholder and if needed apply them to
the rest of the account if needed at the end.
You may want to go to Http://disneygiftcard.com and create an account. Then you can consolidate some of your gift cards to a single card. The maximum value of a single card is limited to $1000, so it would be easy to have a single card with the $250 needed for a placeholder.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!