PCC 4.0 Excursions

The thing I like about DCL excurions - if your excursion is running late, DCL is responsible for making sure you get back to the ship - either by having ship wait, or providing transport to the ship.
Private tours you're just SOL.

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! When we were on 2010 EB TransAtlantic cruise, there were three instances when DCL excursions returned to the ship ... late. One excursion was during an overnight stay in Barcelona, so there was no issue with the ship departing without us. We were also late returning from excursions in Madeira, as well as Cadiz. If my memory is correct, we were ONE HOUR late in returning from one of those excursions. The Magic STAYED IN PORT one hour past their scheduled departure, while waiting for the DCL excursion to return. When our bus finally pulled into port, we were greeted by a slew of officers (in whites).
:worship:

Ships pay an additional fee (or fine) for staying in port past their scheduled time(s). If we were not on a DCL excursion, I am confident the ship would have left port without us. We would have had to meet the ship in the next port (at our own expense).

It has been our experience, when making plans for excursions in a port in which we are not personally familiar, we opt to book through the ship. It is also our experience, when making plans for excursions in a port where the ship does not frequently call on that port (ie: Inaugural Alaska, TransAtlantic, Mediterranean, Baltic, Panama Canal, etc), we opt to book through the ship as well.
:dance3:

Steven

The thing I like about DCL excurions - if your excursion is running late, DCL is responsible for making sure you get back to the ship - either by having ship wait, or providing transport to the ship.
Private tours you're just SOL.
Another thing I like about doing your excursions through the ship is that if for any reason the ship does not go to a particular port (weather or whatever) you will get a refund from them. Private tours, it totally depends. Some will give you a refund, others won't. You really have very little recourse. Also, on my first cruise (not DCL) I scratched my cornea, and the ship's doctor said I could not go in the water for several days (yes, it really sucked!) I had a very expensive Swim with the Dolphins excursion booked through the ship, and, with a note from the ship's doctor, the ship gave me a full refund.

Sayhello

Bump - maybe a moderator can merge the 2 threads?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Bump - maybe a moderator can merge the 2 threads?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Please don't.
I want to be able to keep up the thread i started neat and nicel.
That thread is for excursions booked and arranged not for questions about excusrions like this thread is.

On our last cruise to Cozumel we spent the day at Nachi Cocom and that's probably where we will end up this time. It is an inclusive beach club that only allows a maximum of 100 guests per day. It's a bit more adult oriented and if you are looking for a place to kick back and relax I highly recommend it!

http://www.cozumelnachicocom.net/default.cfm

cozumel.jpg

May I ask when you last spoke with this operator? After looking at the website, I believe we may have actually been there in April (part of a snorkeling excursion). I e-mailed the operator several times ... to no avail. I currently have a DCL excursion booked, but am considering this place. I was trying to ask for clarification on the taxi ... as well as how far away (commute time, each way) ... but received no response.

If this is the same place we were at in April (part of Fury Catamaran snorkeling) ... we'd REALLY like to go ... but obviously, we can't just show up ... especially if they are booked up. Frustrated they have not bother to respond to my e-mails. :headache:

Steven

I booked nachi cocom through their website directly:
http://www.cozumelnachicocom.com/default.cfm

There is a $11 pp non refundable deposit and you pay the rest in cash when you arrive. The taxi is 15 min and cost $15 for 1-4 ppl. I have never been there before, but have done lots of research :) Sorry there is no email response, I have never tried to reach them besides paying the deposit through paypal and that worked. Hope to see you there!

I have been on ship excursions that returned late. I have never been on a private tour that returned late. Ship excursions sometimes return late because they can. If a private vendor returned late, that company would soon be out of business. The folks who "miss the boat" are usually not on tours but are on their own. They miscalculate the time, drink too much, are idiots...whatever! :teeth:

I have 2 ship tours booked for this cruise because I want to use my onboard credit. I also don't like the very short port time in Costa Maya - even though I am sure going to the Chacchoben Ruins again with Ivan and David would work out just fine. However, when people on my Cruise Critic roll calls have organized private tours that interested me (and I have also organized a few) - I have been happy to join the group.

Technically, DCL indicates Rum Point is 5 - 5.5 hours (11AM - 5:30PM), but I believe we are scheduled to be in port from 11:30AM - 4:45PM (conflicting times).

I am not sure how far away 7 Mile Beach is located from the port. If it's not a very short distance, you MIGHT want to consider asking if the tour can drop you off at 7MB upon termination (assuming they are in that vicinity).

The port times on DCL's site indicate the ashore and onboard times. The ship departure time is usually 30 minutes after the all-aboard.

I wondered how I missed seeing these posts from over a month ago. Oh yeah - I was at WDW then! :teeth:

Another thing I like about doing your excursions through the ship is that if for any reason the ship does not go to a particular port (weather or whatever) you will get a refund from them. Private tours, it totally depends. Some will give you a refund, others won't. You really have very little recourse. Also, on my first cruise (not DCL) I scratched my cornea, and the ship's doctor said I could not go in the water for several days (yes, it really sucked!) I had a very expensive Swim with the Dolphins excursion booked through the ship, and, with a note from the ship's doctor, the ship gave me a full refund.

Sayhello

If you pre-pay for a private tour that is non-refundable - your private trip insurance should cover that.

We have booked the Stingray City/Snorkel tour in Grand Cayman through Captain Marvins. I have used them twice before and they are great. They arranged a special time for our ship. I only hope the water is not too cold for me! But I can't wait!:yay:

We have booked the Stingray City/Snorkel tour in Grand Cayman through Captain Marvins. I have used them twice before and they are great. They arranged a special time for our ship. I only hope the water is not too cold for me! But I can't wait!:yay:

We almost booked with Captain Marvin's, then ended up with Native Way's Stingray Sandbar, Coral Gardens and Star Fish Snorkel. I guess we were swayed by the Starfish stop. Hope we both get great tours and warm water!

I have been on ship excursions that returned late. I have never been on a private tour that returned late. Ship excursions sometimes return late because they can. If a private vendor returned late, that company would soon be out of business. The folks who "miss the boat" are usually not on tours but are on their own. They miscalculate the time, drink too much, are idiots...whatever! :teeth:

I have 2 ship tours booked for this cruise because I want to use my onboard credit. I also don't like the very short port time in Costa Maya - even though I am sure going to the Chacchoben Ruins again with Ivan and David would work out just fine. However, when people on my Cruise Critic roll calls have organized private tours that interested me (and I have also organized a few) - I have been happy to join the group.

This is the same reason we are booking this through DCL. Much as we want to go with Ivan, we're playing it safe.

May I ask what times they had? We're still on the fence about this decision. Just pm me please.

If you pre-pay for a private tour that is non-refundable - your private trip insurance should cover that.

If you are late, and miss the private tour ... private trip insurance generally WILL NOT cover you because you were at Cabana's too long (not even Disney covers you for that). If the tour operator does not show up, or does not fulfill their end of the bargain, there is no guarantee you will get a refund through private insurance. Typically, insurance companies want confirmation. Try getting confirmation from an operator who did not cooperate with the guest.

I have heard many people use Captain Marvins - usually it is good feedback. That aside, of all ports to exercise caution ... Grand Cayman (or ANY port which tenders) is one you do not want to risk being late. Saving $10 sounds good, but if you are 2 minutes late ... you just spent THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS to save ten!
:rolleyes1

Steven

I have been on ship excursions that returned late. I have never been on a private tour that returned late. Ship excursions sometimes return late because they can. If a private vendor returned late, that company would soon be out of business. The folks who "miss the boat" are usually not on tours but are on their own. They miscalculate the time, drink too much, are idiots...whatever!

I believe you are missing the point. While I agree with you about GOOD private vendors usually make sure they are on time (to stay in business) ... the whole idea is ... if a DCL tour is late ... THE SHIP WILL WAIT. If a private tour operator is late (for any reason, including those beyond their control ... traffic, mechanical breakdown, etc) ... the ship (generally) WILL NOT wait. We sailed DCL TransAtlantic in 2010. Two of our tours were late returning to the ship ... BOTH due to traffic. One DCL tour was 58 minutes late ... but the ship stayed in its berth. Had we been on a privately booked tour (or hanging out in a local bar), we would have had to pay our own way to the next port.

Steven

I booked nachi cocom through their website directly:
http://www.cozumelnachicocom.com/default.cfm

There is a $11 pp non refundable deposit and you pay the rest in cash when you arrive. The taxi is 15 min and cost $15 for 1-4 ppl. I have never been there before, but have done lots of research :) Sorry there is no email response, I have never tried to reach them besides paying the deposit through paypal and that worked. Hope to see you there!

To this date, they have NOT responded to my queries. It's a shame ... the place looks nice (like I said, I think I was there previously, through another operator). I'm just concerned / confused as to why the operator (any operator) would spend $$$ on a website and promotion ... then fail MANY, MANY TIMES to respond to a potential guest.
:scared1:

Steven

I believe you are missing the point. While I agree with you about GOOD private vendors usually make sure they are on time (to stay in business) ... the whole idea is ... if a DCL tour is late ... THE SHIP WILL WAIT. If a private tour operator is late (for any reason, including those beyond their control ... traffic, mechanical breakdown, etc) ... the ship (generally) WILL NOT wait. We sailed DCL TransAtlantic in 2010. Two of our tours were late returning to the ship ... BOTH due to traffic. One DCL tour was 58 minutes late ... but the ship stayed in its berth. Had we been on a privately booked tour (or hanging out in a local bar), we would have had to pay our own way to the next port.

Steven

I understand your point that the ship will wait for their excursions. My point was that a reputable private tour operator (and I don't mean the taxi that you hail at the pier) will guarantee to get you to the the next port if they return late. However, I have never heard of that being necessary. Bet the private tour operators on your TA cruise were back in time! ;)

By the way, anyone who misses the boat because they are hanging out in a local bar is an idiot.

Nachi Cocom does look beautiful - maybe they had reached their max?

Greg and I are going to Chankanaab National Park. We've been there before. It's a short cab ride from the ship (you can see the ship from the beach).
There's an admission fee of about $21.
We won't be swimming with the dolphins or going to any other shows that we'd have to pay extra for. We'll rent the snorkel gear - you can snorkel right off the beach. We're just planning on a relaxing day.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._National_Park-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

If we have time, we'll take a cab back to town for a little shopping.

If you are late, and miss the private tour ... private trip insurance generally WILL NOT cover you because you were at Cabana's too long (not even Disney covers you for that). If the tour operator does not show up, or does not fulfill their end of the bargain, there is no guarantee you will get a refund through private insurance. Typically, insurance companies want confirmation. Try getting confirmation from an operator who did not cooperate with the guest.
Most travel insurance does NOT cover you for default of the tour operator at all. They cover you for things that happen to you that cause you to miss a cruise, a tour, etc. If you book a tour with a company that goes out of business, or doesn't show up to pick you up, that is explicitly not covered by most policies. You're usually told to appeal the charge with your credit card company (although usually you can only do that up to 6 months after the purchase). Some policies will cover this kind of thing, but it's a special coverage you have to get within, say, 2 weeks of first deposit, like a pre-existing condition waiver.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!