People That Don't Show Appreciation for a Gift - rant

Sounds like my ex sister in law. When she had her daughter I bought Minnie Mouse outfits, books, some pink and white clothes, and diapers. She just told me how it was all too girly. Never thanked me. Then my ex later insulted me for getting her such a crappy (not the words he used) gift and was enraged for days for embarrassing him...but yet I still had to buy all the gifts for years after...

Some people are just plain ugly. I'm sorry that you've had so many experiences with your grand daughter in law. The gift sounds adorable - including the wrappings! At least you can rant here, and much more importantly, you got to meet and spend time with your newest little angel!

I'd ask for a pic, but that's probably inappropriate to put a baby on the internet. Maybe @Soldier's*Sweeties will update us on Hei Hei today!

We learn to say please and thank you from a very young age, and if you can't say something nice, don't say it at all.
It doesn't matter what happened before the OP got there. It is just common courtesy to say thank you to someone when they give you something. It is just plain rude to complain openly about a gift given. It is OK to hate something for whatever reason you want, but it isn't OK to be a brat about it when it is given to you, save that for when you are alone with your dh.
There really is nothing that justifies this behavior, why do people try?

I don't think anybody tried to justify her rude behaviour (no justification) rather most are trying to figure out why she is like that with the op.

Maybe she was rude because she did not want people over. You did not say how old the baby is. But, in preemie clothes it has it be quite young. Maybe her inlaws forced a visit. Was the baby in in NICU before coming home? Did she have a c-section? Is this their first baby? Maybe she feels uncomfortable with gifts. As for the wedding gift, your grandson could of sent a thank you since he is the groom.

Who did you ask abut what to get as a baby gift? Have you ever asked your grandson what his wife might like for CHristmas? How you tried to get to know her?

Her behavior does sound rude but what went on prior to your arrival? You mentioned that your son was going to talk to your grandson.

When my SIL had her kids, she did not want anyone over. She wanted to keep the safe from germs. She made this known. SHe had people that would stop to see the babies and she just would not open the door. People thought that she was being rude, but she felt that they were rude for not listening and stopping over anyways.

ETA: my inlaws probably think that I am rude. My husband and I have been together 30 yrs. Every year for my birthday and Christmas , they give me a wool sweater. I am severely allergic to wool. I tried to be nice about it at first but it gets ridiculous. I can not even take it out of the box without breaking out in hives. Just being in close proximity makes me sneeze and cough. They know I am allergic to it.

Okay, lots of questions but I will answer them. We didn't go to HER house, we were at our son and daughter-in-law's so the baby and the baby's parents came THERE. They have been there several times since the baby was born, they have taken her to other people's houses, to church, etc. This get-together was planned by the baby's mother AND our daughter-in-law, they worked out a day/time that would work best for them. I had told them any day/time was fine with us. Yesterday was the day THEY chose. So no, her in-laws did NOT force the visit.

No, the mother did not have a C-section and no, the baby was not in NICU when she was born. She weighed 5 lbs. 8 ounces when she was born, so yes, tiny, but not super tiny either. She did go back to the hospital a couple of days after she was born, as she wasn't keeping food (breastfeeding, but no longer now, is on formula) down and they had to run tests and determined the baby has acid reflux so she did lose some weight but is now over 6 pounds.

Yes, this is their first baby.

Yes, my grandson could have sent a wedding thank you note (or Facebook message) but HE works full-time, his wife does not work outside the home, even though she should as they were struggling to make ends meet BEFORE they decided to have a baby and now it has to be MUCH worse with baby expenses. And generally I think it is the wife who does the majority of the wedding thank you's.

Yes, I have asked my grandson what his wife would like for a Christmas gift. Candles was one thing he said, so that's what I gave her. It was a Christmasy scent.

When I asked about getting a gift for the baby I asked my grandson first, as I wanted to get a bigger item (like car seat, changing table, swing, something along that line but he said they had all the big items they needed and then proceeded to tell me premie clothes and diapers. My son said the same thing when I also asked him. No one ever said "don't buy anything PINK!"

No, I didn't say my son was going to talk to my grandson. I said I wouldn't be surprised if he DID talk to him (about her rude behavior).

Yes, I have tried to get to know her. Even though I have heard many bad things about her I have always given her the benefit of the doubt. I include her in conversations, treat her the same as I do my grands/their boyfriends, etc. At the family gathering after my mom's passing in July we actually had quite a nice conversation in fact.

There, I think that was all your questions. Whew. :)

Edited to add: I'm sorry your in-laws continue to give you a wool sweater every year for Christmas. THEY are definitely being rude and uncaring to do that for 30 years when they know you are allergic to wool. Have you ever spoken to them directly about your allergy? As in saying to your MIL, "hey, the wool sweaters you give me at Christmas are beautiful but do you KNOW I can't wear them because I am allergic?" If you have done something like that and they continue to give you a wool sweater, that's terrible but obviously you can't change them. All YOU can do is be the bigger person and smile and say thank you. Then either take it and exchange it, or donate it to goodwill.

Last edited:
I don't think anybody tried to justify her rude behaviour (no justification) rather most are trying to figure out why she is like that with the op.

The post above mine sure sounded like it.

"Her behavior does sound rude but what went on prior to your arrival?"

Sounds like my ex sister in law. When she had her daughter I bought Minnie Mouse outfits, books, some pink and white clothes, and diapers. She just told me how it was all too girly. Never thanked me. Then my ex later insulted me for getting her such a crappy (not the words he used) gift and was enraged for days for embarrassing him...but yet I still had to buy all the gifts for years after...

Some people are just plain ugly. I'm sorry that you've had so many experiences with your grand daughter in law. The gift sounds adorable - including the wrappings! At least you can rant here, and much more importantly, you got to meet and spend time with your newest little angel!

I'd ask for a pic, but that's probably inappropriate to put a baby on the internet. Maybe @Soldier's*Sweeties will update us on Hei Hei today!

Sounds like you had a lovely ex-sister-in-law, wow! At least she is your EX-sister-in-law, ha ha! :) It just boggles my mind that some people can be so rude to others about a gift that is given to them. :(

I had hoped to post a photo but I didn't get a very good one, and she was dressed so ugly!! LOL!! Get this, BRIGHT PINK (think neon pink) pants with triangles and squares in blues/purples and darker color outlines, and a BLACK long sleeved top that said "I'm the reason my mommy was late." Ugh! Ha ha!! And most of the photos I took were with my regular camera instead of my phone. I hope I can get a good photo of her at Christmas though. :)

I think she may have been responding to the one person who was trying to justify the mom's behavior, and questioning my "story" in the process. I could be wrong though. :)

My children are lucky to still have almost all of their great grandparents (only one who isn't here is my maternal gpop) and had 3 great great grandmas up until a few years ago. I treasure the gifts the kids received from those grandparents. I don't get some people. Even if it's something you don't particularly care for you still smile and say "thank you!"

I know I wouldn't want to get her anymore gifts but I would just so it wouldn't start any drama with her. Kill her with kindness.

I have 'been there, done that' so many times, I've given up. I handmade 2 different baby blankets for 2 of my husbands workers that supervise 2 of his houses. Added a couple of onesie's and some receiving blankets. Not a word of thanks out of 1, the other sent my husband an email thanking him? But the one that got me most, was recently. Our niece had her first baby. We knew ahead of time that it would be a girl. I found a very complicated crochet pattern and made a gorgeous baby blanket in the colors of her nursery. To that I added 3 cute outfits and 5 onesies. They did use the afghan for the baby's first pictures, but not a word of thanks for any of it. I have just given up. If you can't bother saying thank you for a homemade gift, even if it's just a text or a phone call, then I am totally done making any more baby blankets . Sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine, vent over!

Last edited:

Doubtful. He’s on the naughty list this morning :rotfl:

Some people are just made that way and there is little you can do about it except hope others good behavior rubs off on them.

ODS's ex wife was this way. She was just nasty about stuff. Gifts were never appreciated. She made it known that she felt we should do more for her and DS as he is the oldest child. I treated her exactly the same as I did all my kids and my other dil. She was extremely jealous of my younger kids for some reason. I mean seriously got mad when they visited my Mom where she and DS were living at the time.

Honestly I just ignored it. I still went to the same trouble of picking out her gifts as I did anyone else. I knew I did my best and what she chose to do was on her.

Sadly she is remarried now but from what DS has been told by her in laws she is still unhappy and nasty to others. Must be a miserable way to go through life.

Like someone else said, OP, you can't control other's action, only your reactions. And, to me, the best way is to just keep doing what you feel is right and let her act how she wants. At least you can know that you have no reason to feel guilty about the way she accepts your gifts.

I have 'been there, done that' so many times, I've given up. I handmade 2 different baby blankets for 2 of my husbands workers that supervise 2 of his houses. Added a couple of onesie's and some receiving blankets. Not a word of thanks out of 1, the other sent my husband an email thanking him? But the one that got me most, was recently. Our neice had her first baby. We knew ahead of time that it would be a girl. I found a very complicated crochet pattern and made a gorgeous baby blanket in the colors of her nursery. To that I added 3 cute outfits and 5 onesies. They did use the afghan for the baby's first pictures, but not a word of thanks for any of it. I have just given up. If you can't bother saying thank you for a homemade gift, even if it's just a text or a phone call, then I am totally done making any more baby blankets . Sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine, vent over!

Oh wow, I would be bending over backwards to thank you for the beautiful handmade afghan!! Those take TIME and EFFORT to make!! I can't even imagine someone being so rude to not thank you for them, wow!! How awful!! I don't blame you a bit for not wanting to make/give any more of them. :(

I have always been one to treasure handmade gifts, any gift of course, but handmade ones I realize the giver put a lot of time into making them, and thought for the one they are giving it to.

Two Christmases ago our oldest granddaughter knew I was having a difficult time as my mom had to go to a nursing home 2 months prior, and she went out of her way to make that Christmas so special for me, and one of her gifts was a painting she did, on canvas of OUR house (she got DH to take photos of the outside with his cell phone and send them to her) inside a snowglobe and she wrote such a beautiful, heartfelt note to me on the back. It is a gift I will treasure ALWAYS, for her thoughtfulness and caring. :)

My mom made me a lot of handmade things, she was so crafty and before she became ill she was always crocheting, cross-stitching, doing plastic canvas, etc. and I have always treasured everything she made and gave to me, even moreso now that has passed away. :)

I hate to think of how our grandson's wife would have acted about receiving a handmade baby afghan. Probably would have complained about the color and the pattern, ha ha!! :)

I was always taught to say thank you for any gifts I received, even when my great grandmother used to give my sister and I a dollar each for Christmas each year, lol. She grew up in a different time obviously and was extremely frugal. I can't imagine being so rude as to complain about ANY gift. Some people are just mind boggling.

How incredibly rude!

There are a lot of people now not wanting to dress their daughters in pink and I understand the sentiment and somewhat agree with it, though I think many take it way too far.

But how your granddaughter in law acted was extremely rude. She sounds very very immature.

I feel your pain op. About 4 yrs ago my husband and i decided to take his parents, 2 sisters and family on a trip to orlando. We paid for everything, we only asked the family to buy groceries for the week we were there. We bought flights from mi, rented a house, one day tickets to mk, one day to universal. First his mom complained about going to disney world, we said you dont need to go-(she went). We saved and paid stuff off for 2 yrs. In the meantime one sister met a guy and started getting serious. We became close to him and his 3 children, 2 months before the trip my husband and i took out a small loan so this man and children could join the family. Not one thank you from the sister before or after. She was happy they were going and he thanked us countless times. He proposed to her on the trip at disney. Not one thank you from her. I know you should never expect anything when you give something, but a thank you sure goes a long way! I guess we just have to deal with these ppl that just werent taught right and be grateful for the rest.

I don't see what would be wrong with pointing out the situation to your grandson privately if an appropriate time presents itself. I'm not suggesting starting WWIII or going in with guns blazing or telling him he must tell her what an ungrateful beast she is -- nor do I think you'd approach it that way. It seems at the very least it may make him aware that if he doesn't want his child to grow up with that attitude he will have to be the one to step up and set the example.

Oh wow, I would be bending over backwards to thank you for the beautiful handmade afghan!! Those take TIME and EFFORT to make!! I can't even imagine someone being so rude to not thank you for them, wow!! How awful!! I don't blame you a bit for not wanting to make/give any more of them. :(

I have always been one to treasure handmade gifts, any gift of course, but handmade ones I realize the giver put a lot of time into making them, and thought for the one they are giving it to.

I hate to think of how our grandson's wife would have acted about receiving a handmade baby afghan. Probably would have complained about the color and the pattern, ha ha!! :)

My nieces tied a quilt for an in-law's new baby. It went unacknowledged so one of the nieces finally asked her if she received it. She said, "Yes, we got three of them that week." Not very tactful, say what? I also hand-smocked a dress for their little girl, and it went unacknowledged. I stopped making stuff for them.

How incredibly rude!

There are a lot of people now not wanting to dress their daughters in pink and I understand the sentiment and somewhat agree with it, though I think many take it way too far.

But how your granddaughter in law acted was extremely rude. She sounds very very immature.

Oh, I agree with you about some not wanting to dress their baby daughters in pink and that's exactly why I included copies of the sales receipts and told her right up front that it was fine if she wanted to exchange the outfits. But to not show appreciation at all for a gift is just incredibly rude. A child that hasn't been taught, I understand. But an adult? Even if they were never taught as a child to say thank you for a gift by their parents, they've gone to parties and holiday gatherings they surely have heard others say thank you for gifts. And the way she went on and on about hating pink, it was all just so over the top rude.

I feel your pain op. About 4 yrs ago my husband and i decided to take his parents, 2 sisters and family on a trip to orlando. We paid for everything, we only asked the family to buy groceries for the week we were there. We bought flights from mi, rented a house, one day tickets to mk, one day to universal. First his mom complained about going to disney world, we said you dont need to go-(she went). We saved and paid stuff off for 2 yrs. In the meantime one sister met a guy and started getting serious. We became close to him and his 3 children, 2 months before the trip my husband and i took out a small loan so this man and children could join the family. Not one thank you from the sister before or after. She was happy they were going and he thanked us countless times. He proposed to her on the trip at disney. Not one thank you from her. I know you should never expect anything when you give something, but a thank you sure goes a long way! I guess we just have to deal with these ppl that just werent taught right and be grateful for the rest.

Oh my goodness! What you did for your family is incredible, and to take out a loan so that your sister's boyfriend and children could also go? Wow!! And to not receive one word of thanks, incredibly rude. I agree, a simple "thank you" goes a long way!

I don't see what would be wrong with pointing out the situation to your grandson privately if an appropriate time presents itself. I'm not suggesting starting WWIII or going in with guns blazing or telling him he must tell her what an ungrateful beast she is -- nor do I think you'd approach it that way. It seems at the very least it may make him aware that if he doesn't want his child to grow up with that attitude he will have to be the one to step up and set the example.

I don't want to talk to him about it and be the cause of any drama. I would rather just complain about it here. LOL!! :) I do see what you're saying though.

It has helped just typing it all out here and hearing other people's opinions. I can, and will, move on from it. I just MIGHT say "you're welcome" though, if she doesn't say thank you when I hand her her card/money this year at Christmas. It would be fun to see her expression. *insert evil laugh* No, I am hoping I will be surprised and she would say thank you for it on her own. We'll see.

Not the point of this thread, but OP I believe you said in another thread your great granddaughter was born Sept 7. Poor little thing is still in preemies and only gained a pound in a month? At 5 lb 8 oz she was right on the edge of being officially low birth weight.
Sending good thoughts that she can really start packing on the pounds!

When family relations (especially in-laws) break down it is very hard to be objective, on both sides. She knows her in-laws do not like her as op said her son told her stories about things that happened. I am sure she has her side of the story. Playing devil's advocate, who knows what experiences she may have had with her in-laws to bring her to the point of such blatant rudeness to her husband's side of the family. Again, I see her reactions as deliberate as not to give them the satisfaction of enjoying the gifts. I mean how do you not like something like diapers which are not only necessary but very expensive as well. I cannot believe this is her everyday attitude to everyone she meets otherwise she must have a mental illness. On the other hand, her in-laws see her attitude and do not like her even more. It's a vicious circle.

I am sure that YOU op have never been anything but nice to her and it's sad that she cannot differentiate between family members and has grouped everyone together. Inexcusable. Was your grandson actually present when the gifts were opened and, according to you, she made snide remarks like "where do I put THESE now" not liking pink and throwing the gifts on the floor? Commenting on her dislike of the gift bag and tissue paper is beyond over the top and again, at least to me, points to it being deliberate to hurt you. My belief is that it is down to your grandson, her husband to deal with her. How does he stand by and see such disrespect given to his grandparents by his wife while accepting their gifts? His simple "thank you" to you does not in any way offset his wife's rudeness.

But it sounds like she doesn't see her DH's grandparents much. Even if she has a bad history with his parents, it's still not fair to be rude to everyone else.

Or maybe she's just a spoiled brat who was never taught manners as a child! I've know plenty of people who were just plain rude, so I'm very hesitant to jump straight to a medical thing here.

I definitely think you're right that it's on her DH to say something, though. My guess is that he was sensible enough not to bring it up in front of everyone...but I'm hopeful that next time he'll let her know in advance that his grandparents will be hurt if she doesn't accept gifts politely.

OP, for my own sanity, I'd chalk her lack of manners up to being exhausted from the baby (even though it's probably not just that. - It would make me feel better.) I personally think your gift was lovely!

And generally I think it is the wife who does the majority of the wedding thank you's.

I know this isn't the point of the thread, but I just have to point this out. There is absolutely NO reason that it should be the wife's job to write thank yous. The gifts were for both of them, they both should take an equal part in it. Thank yous are not gender specific. And expecting things like that to be done by the woman are a huge reason why women do all of the emotional labor in a relationship and men don't think they have to do any of that.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter