People underestimate Disney

I'm sure 100% of the people on these boards can relate and have their own stories to tell.

I know I feel horrible when there is someone I know going to WDW and doing essentially no planning. In fact a co-worker is there now in that situation.

I heard about her trip probably around November last year and I told her I know a lot about how to plan etc. She hadn't been for many years and I said it's REAL different. I tried to tell her about fast passes etc and she said "my mom is handling everything". They are staying off site btw.

So right after the first of the year I said "you can get your fast passes soon" and again she said her mom was handling everything. I asked if they at least got their tickets because prices usually go up in Feb. She wasn't sure.

So last week I asked her again and she said was in a panic. Her Mom had done nothing and sent her a book (not sure of it was the official or unofficial guide. But she said it was HUGE.)

At this point there wasn't anything I could do. I asked one last time if they have their park tickets and she said they weren't sure how many days they were going. I sent her a screen shot of the crowd projections from Touring plans, explained they have algorithms for determining wait times and sequence of rides etc (we're in an analytics group so she related to that) and by that time she knew they weren't going to get much done (two little kids with them).

I said you'll have a great time just being there. But I think I was lying somewhat - I suspect they will drive up mid morning - buy their tickets there - walk into MK and look at the map and say "OK, what do you want to do?" and find there is at least a half hour wait for anything (if they are lucky). They will leave disappointed at best - frustrated and angry at worst .

I tried to warn her - and she'll come back and say "well, you tried to warn me!"

I can't help but feel bad though because it's avoidable if only you believe the people telling you how it is.

I'm a Florida native, so I've seen how it's changed for over 4 decades and often I go there and leave frustrated myself. It wasn't always this way. What's most frustrating is dealing with illness, I can't just make a reservation day-of when I'm feeling well on that day anymore. However, there are reservations/fast passes that I do find sometimes but it's never for anything I actually wanted. I miss being able to go to Le Cellier or Narcoosee's ... etc. when I'm having a "good day". Keep hoping on a real good day I'll be able to get a fast-pass to an attraction I'd like to ride or restaurant I'd like to dine that day ... still hoping. Gotta keep that hope alive!

Why is that so funny? People do just show up and expect to ride on all the rides they want and sit down at a restaurant. And per my second paragraph—which you left out in your post making fun of me—good or bad that is NOT how it works at WDW anymore.
I think that is WHY it's funny - because it's the truth. People vacation to amusement parks with the expectation to ride rides and eat interesting food; yet, it's becoming an impossibility without any form of planning at WDW.

what's the "monorail trick"?
I told them if the Express Monorail has a crazy line, take the Resort Monorail instead. Both stop at MK and the parking lot. It worked well for them. The Express was jammed and the Resort wasn't. Sometimes Express is so backed up that 3 monorails need to arrive before your turn, while the Resort line is small enough that you'll board the next one. Even if the Resort makes a few stops it can be much quicker than waiting.

I think last year during MNSSHP they turned away some non-resort guests but normally it's not an issue.

I really love the people that think you can just "wing" a Disney trip. We all know that we can offer up help til we're blue, but then they get back, and fuss away! I"m a planner - big time. Read everything, research, every trip in order, plotted and planned. My DD is celebrating her birthday (or course she chose a tip to WDW) now that she's an adult, she's taking on all the planning. I got a email from her with a full on spread sheet, each day, time, restaurant (and once our FP opens up she'll add that). I'm so proud!

It's interesting to me how many people do have the perception that they have to pay for fast passes at Disney. That's true at many other parks, but not WDW. But I've heard that line, too.

We went out with friends a couple weekends ago and ended up on the subject of WDW. He started talking negatively about it, because he used to go all the time and it “really sucks if you don’t pay for the speed pass”. Obviously I couldn’t let that one slide 😂.

He actually kept arguing that I was wrong. Yeah, the one with the annual pass in her wallet, who has gone regularly since infancy and was just talking to you about an adults only trip we came back from has no idea what she’s talking about, lol. No chance you’re wrong or anything.

Dont get me wrong, we don’t need more crowds! I’m glad there are plenty who don’t get it or don’t care to learn.

We went out with friends a couple weekends ago and ended up on the subject of WDW. He started talking negatively about it, because he used to go all the time and it “really sucks if you don’t pay for the speed pass”. Obviously I couldn’t let that one slide 😂.

He actually kept arguing that I was wrong. Yeah, the one with the annual pass in her wallet, who has gone regularly since infancy and was just talking to you about an adults only trip we came back from has no idea what she’s talking about, lol. No chance you’re wrong or anything.

Dont get me wrong, we don’t need more crowds! I’m glad there are plenty who don’t get it or don’t care to learn.

Every single trip we’ve been on I’ve heard a least one group commenting on how it’s stupid that people spend money on FP+. I think those of us who go even slightly regularly understand the system but people who do zero research have no clue. They just assume it’s like other amusement parks and their shorter line passes.

Well my cousin and his wife and kids (5,7) literally returned today from a 2 day vacation. One day they did USO with a VIP tour, and today they did all 4 Disney parks. They only got FP for Navi and Rivers of Light for 6 and 8pm (at 30 days I think).

Started at DHS, wandered through SWGE, no rides as lines were over an 90 mins everywhere. Then moved to Epcot for lunch and Spaceship Earth with no lines. Then MK, not sure what rides, then AK for the evening.

Sounds like a nightmare to me -- but they had a GREAT time.

So who am I to judge?

This is why I don't offer help to people planning Disney trips. There are a few friends that I know would listen to me but they are the ones that would never go. People generaally just don't listen and that's their problem. You offered suggestions, she ignored you and so be it. Just try to exit it from your mind.

Absolutely true story: I had a friend who wanted to take his daughter and meet us down there. ONE DAY after I started telling him about the planning, he said forget it.

I understand how frustrating it must be for people who like to be spontaneous but when I’m paying $$$$ for a vacation I do some planning. In 2017 I sat on the plane next to a couple with an adorable little girl in her Minnie t-shirt talking about calling for reservations for Cinderella’s breakfast the next day. The mom saw my magic band and asked me where I got it. She then asked me if I knew where the Frozen ride was. I asked where they were staying and she said “in the magic kingdom”. I told them to have a wonderful time and put my headphones on... I thought I was being punked.

That just spiked my anxiety.

I think that was there point. People should be able to just show up and have a great time without planning. But all the people here know those days are gone

I’ll be honest we don’t plan a whole lot these days. I really do the minimum. We mostly eat QS since it allows us a little more spontaneity. I plan one TS each trip and that’s it. I also do FP+ for each day. That’s it. No spreadsheets, no stressing about plans.

The difference is like many here I’ve been several times and I know well go back more times. So I don’t need to do it all. Honestly I love how laid back our trips are. Generally we don’t go at super busy times, we avoid holidays and that helps a little.

If though I knew it was a once in a lifetime trip yeah I’d plan like crazy.

If though I knew it was a once in a lifetime trip yeah I’d plan like crazy.
Since we're 38 days before our once in a decade trip... should I really be spreadsheeting our trip?

We have good FP, latest at 3pm and I'll try and change those then get new ones. One ADR, nothing else is appealing enough and I'm planning on mobile ordering.
I figured I will make a general outline based on park maps and our prefs but that's it.

Do I really need to plan more? What would you plan for? Seriously, please, it's not a teasing question.

Thanks

Last edited:
Do I really need to plan more? What would you plan for? Seriously, please, it's not a teasing question.

Thanks

I think you're going to get A LOT of good responses to this one...

I'd just say keep checking on park hours. Also, if you click on modifying your fast passes, you might be able to get better times if you keep refreshing. Finally, if you booked through a travel agent, ask if any specials or upgrades have come up in your resort. If you booked yourself, just keep checking the page for your resort.

Since we're 38 days before our once in a decade trip... should I really be spreadshitting our trip?

We have good FP, latest at 3pm and I'll try and change those then get new ones. One ADR, nothing else is appealing enough and I'm planning on mobile ordering.
I figured I will make a general outline based on park maps and our prefs but that's it.

Thanks

I think the answer depends on how many times you’ve been and if you really want to plan and how much you want to get done.

I’ve never made a spreadsheet, but do make a general itinerary in a word document. Just so we know which days we will be where and what time FP and ADRs are But it really only included what you posted above that you already know.

As much as I love to plan I’ve never had an hour by hour spreadsheet of what we are doing(other than the touring plans I printed for our first trip which we ended up not following anyways after a few hours of using it).

Well my cousin and his wife and kids (5,7) literally returned today from a 2 day vacation. One day they did USO with a VIP tour, and today they did all 4 Disney parks. They only got FP for Navi and Rivers of Light for 6 and 8pm (at 30 days I think).

Started at DHS, wandered through SWGE, no rides as lines were over an 90 mins everywhere. Then moved to Epcot for lunch and Spaceship Earth with no lines. Then MK, not sure what rides, then AK for the evening.

Sounds like a nightmare to me -- but they had a GREAT time.

So who am I to judge?

My husband (and to an extent my older son) just love walking around the parks. DH really could be happy with a no or low ride park day. So when people say they're fine with going without planning, I get it--they're either fine with lines and/or fine with not doing a lot of the rides/attractions.

Since we're 38 days before our once in a decade trip... should I really be spreadshitting our trip?

Thanks

We like to "spreadsheet" just to have all the info in a single place. It's not at all necessary. We also do it to keep track of all our ADR (we do the DP) My DD started the spreadsheet. I used to just print out a simple word document with all the times/places we needed to be.

Thanks

Nope, I think you’re good. Honestly just keep your expectations reasonable. Know it will be crowded. Know you can literally not do it all. Looking at the park maps and ride descriptions online is a good way to know what your must do attractions are. Make sure to stay hydrated and use the restroom before getting into line. Mobile ordering is great because it’ll save time. And most of all make sure to relax and enjoy the atmosphere.

I think you’ll have a fabulous time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts