People underestimate Disney

Every single trip we’ve been on I’ve heard a least one group commenting on how it’s stupid that people spend money on FP+. I think those of us who go even slightly regularly understand the system but people who do zero research have no clue. They just assume it’s like other amusement parks and their shorter line passes.
Either they think FP is an extra charge or with my boss' wife, she knew they received 3 free FPs but didn't know you can and should book them beforehand. She purchased tickets weeks in advance and thought they just show up at a ride and ask to use 1 of they're 3 FPs.

WDW site FP headline could be interpreted that way without further reading, "Skip the standby line for select attractions, shows and Character Greetings. The best part? FastPass+ service is included in the price of theme park admission. What are you waiting for?" :earsboy: ...Show up & skip 3 lines, lol

Reading through this has me thinking about an aspect I really hadn't thought of - the (almost) false advertising Disney does.

One person mentioned the commercials that show a park no more crowded that a local amusement park with characters randomly walking around and greeting guests. That simply never happens.

The second is the fast pass thing. The poster right above (Heather) said Disney touts the fact that FastPass is free (a major selling point to be sure) but does nothing to tell you your chance of getting one to any headline attraction is essentially zero if you don't do it in advance.

And by the way, for those talking about paying for FastPasses - that actually IS an option now if you stay at a Club Level room. 90 days in advance you can get SIX fastpasses (3 with zero restrictions) for $50 plus tax per person per day (3 day minimum)

I accidently found out our Alcove Suite rooms at the Dolphin qualify and we decided to do this for 3 days. It's more than upsetting in general that we are paying $50 more a person given the price of the tickets - but assuming we get 18 ride reservations - and given we have small kids with us that won't tolerate waiting more than maybe 20 minutes in line) we decided it will be worth it.

And of course there are other "pay extra" options - like Early Morning Magic at MK (not to be confused with the early entry days).

I love to tell this story:
Sitting at lunch, a co worker said they were going to WDW over spring break.
coworker: We're going to be in Tampa and thought we do a quick day trip to WDW. The kids are the perfect age.
Me: Do you have FP? dining?
Coworker: What? no it's just a day thing, quick trip. We really want to meet characters.
Me: Well you ought to try to get a few FP at least, or try for a character dinner
coworker: no, it will be fun, plus those meals are pricey.
So.... coworker came back. Enraged! WDW was so crowded. They couldn't get on any rides, see any characters. After an hour in the crowds, they went to GS and begged for their money back (got it) and left the park. (face palm):tilt:

I love to tell this story:
Sitting at lunch, a co worker said they were going to WDW over spring break.
coworker: We're going to be in Tampa and thought we do a quick day trip to WDW. The kids are the perfect age.
Me: Do you have FP? dining?
Coworker: What? no it's just a day thing, quick trip. We really want to meet characters.
Me: Well you ought to try to get a few FP at least, or try for a character dinner
coworker: no, it will be fun, plus those meals are pricey.
So.... coworker came back. Enraged! WDW was so crowded. They couldn't get on any rides, see any characters. After an hour in the crowds, they went to GS and begged for their money back (got it) and left the park. (face palm):tilt:

Truly a shame. A lot of driving for a wasted opportunity. If they booked their 3 FPs and invested a little money on a character meal they could have had a great day.

I friend of mine when to Disney in early 90's with her kids and then never returned (she was more of a camper back then). She's been shaking her head for years over us multi-returning to WDW - just doesn't understand it, especially as I am not a ride person. LOL. Then a co-worker talked her into sharing a vacation at a local TS and they bought a 1D ticket to AK (also, Universal which was more successful - I think cause they did the high ticket option). Now AK, IMO, is the most impulse worthy park. She came back and told me they did nothing - Gorilla walk, tiger walk, Plant Rafiki, Bug, etc. = NADA. Who the freak is this co-worker who has been to FL many times? IMO, the friend had to have had some weird negative agenda but maybe she's just a nut case - she did tell my friend that her husband was the planner.

I say to my friend, do you want to do WDW with me - the way we do it? We'll do a long weekend and you can dip your toes in. We'll do a park day - which do you want to do? AK ... fine. So I'm buying this ticket myself and I'll sit here at 60 days to accomplish the FPs but I will also take her to all the 'walk-able' areas of AK which I CANNOT believe her co-worker missed.

Even back in the 90's, if you didn't do some research and advance planning then you were gonna miss things. Back then every trip my kids ate at the Castle and dinner shows because I hopped on that phone to make the reservations. Of course, ride-wise, we've never been commando so we didn't bother with paper FPs and half the time I enjoy the standby line as much as the ride, as long as it's 30 minutes or less.

Reading through this has me thinking about an aspect I really hadn't thought of - the (almost) false advertising Disney does.

One person mentioned the commercials that show a park no more crowded that a local amusement park with characters randomly walking around and greeting guests. That simply never happens.

The second is the fast pass thing. The poster right above (Heather) said Disney touts the fact that FastPass is free (a major selling point to be sure) but does nothing to tell you your chance of getting one to any headline attraction is essentially zero if you don't do it in advance.

And by the way, for those talking about paying for FastPasses - that actually IS an option now if you stay at a Club Level room. 90 days in advance you can get SIX fastpasses (3 with zero restrictions) for $50 plus tax per person per day (3 day minimum)

I accidently found out our Alcove Suite rooms at the Dolphin qualify and we decided to do this for 3 days. It's more than upsetting in general that we are paying $50 more a person given the price of the tickets - but assuming we get 18 ride reservations - and given we have small kids with us that won't tolerate waiting more than maybe 20 minutes in line) we decided it will be worth it.

And of course there are other "pay extra" options - like Early Morning Magic at MK (not to be confused with the early entry days).
Have you used the Extra FP's yet or are they for a future trip?

Have you used the Extra FP's yet or are they for a future trip?

For a future trip - trip is in July so 90 days out is in April.

I still worry that the Dolphin Alcove Suites won't qualify so I'm calling DSS later this week to ask a CM. Not that I doubt the fine people on the DIS, but we got so psyched for this I'd hate to find out it was mis-information.

You can plan all you want and still not end up with the FP for the newest ride you want or the reservation you want. I say this as someone who has spent every 30 days trying to get these FP and failing miserably. I was doing this well in advance of my trip. They need to research and understand that they might not be able to walk on the ride or in the restaurant they want. YES you can try to get on Avatar but you might be waiting hours for it. I have some FP for rides that I enjoy. But Slinky dog, Smuggler's run, and the new Mickey ride at the studios NOPE.

I am AP Holder so I only get mine 30 days in advance.

I don't think that they Underestimate Disney but they compare it to other parks who are not set up like this. At most other parks you pay to get in front and it doesn't happen as much. I had a coworker inform me they were going To Disney and when I advised them to make some plan it was stated that they weren't planners. They went and came back and said they had a wonderful time.

Last edited:
Even back in the 90's, if you didn't do some research and advance planning then you were gonna miss things.

👆 This. I remember my mom planning our once-in-a-lifetime trip for my sisters and I in the early nineties. Mom had a guide book and carried around index cards with our dining details, ride list and other itinerary info to get through each day.

I also remember going to the library and checking out books about Disney when we went on our first family trip in the early 90's

My BIL went a few years ago. We repeatedly told them to make dining reservations and Fastpasses. They didn't and showed up halfway through the day expecting to be able to just walk up for BOG. Then they did the Pirates of the Caribbean ride and got wet so they left. He rants about how Disney is horrible but honestly it was mostly his own fault for doing zero planning even when it was explained to him.

He rants about how Disney is horrible

In fairness - relatively speaking, it is I guess.

Most people do recognize it will be crowded. What they don't realize is that without advance reservations your dining choices are very limited - and without getting fast passes your waits will be very long for most rides. As was said above (and I agreed with) Disney makes NO attempt to inform people of this. Their ads convey the exact opposite in fact.

2018 was our first trip since he FP+ was implemented - the time before that we got the paper ones when we got to the park. 60 days before our trip we got online and got what we could. We were (relatively) satisfied but grumbled (and more) about how much we wished it would go back to the old way.

Then we got there and my older son became Captain Refresh on the app and it all made sense to us. It was like the stock market - watching people "buying and selling" and jumping in when we could. We got several more rides in than we thought we would.

BUT again in fairness to those who complain - where in the World (pun intended) would you learn about all that? Except of course on a board like this. Even the unofficial guide - as blunt as they are - doesn't have a section (I don't' think) on the refresh strategy.

BUT again in fairness to those who complain - where in the World (pun intended) would you learn about all that? Except of course on a board like this. Even the unofficial guide - as blunt as they are - doesn't have a section (I don't' think) on the refresh strategy.

I feel bad for people who have no idea and find out after they arrive about everything. But when you have someone telling you "you're going to need a reservation to eat there" and "fastpasses help you get on the rides. You really should book some" but you refuse then complain about how it's such a horrible place and you don't know how anyone can like it. It's a bit frustrating. He had multiple people telling him exactly what he needed but he ignored it.

He had multiple people telling him exactly what he needed but he ignored it.
Agree 100%. But it's like telling an expectant couple what it's like to have kids. They hear it but think "it can't be THAT bad. If it was, why would so many people keep going back to Disney (or keep having kids)?"

The answer of course is once you get acclimated to its reality, the joy far outweighs the inconvenience. For most people that is.

Agree 100%. But it's like telling an expectant couple what it's like to have kids. They hear it but think "it can't be THAT bad. If it was, why would so many people keep going back to Disney (or keep having kids)?"

The answer of course is once you get acclimated to its reality, the joy far outweighs the inconvenience. For most people that is.

It's funny that you used that analogy. That same BIL and his wife are planning on having kids soon and constantly say their kids will never do the things my kids do. But yes that works well for Disney too.

Either they think FP is an extra charge or with my boss' wife, she knew they received 3 free FPs but didn't know you can and should book them beforehand. She purchased tickets weeks in advance and thought they just show up at a ride and ask to use 1 of they're 3 FPs.

WDW site FP headline could be interpreted that way without further reading, "Skip the standby line for select attractions, shows and Character Greetings. The best part? FastPass+ service is included in the price of theme park admission. What are you waiting for?" :earsboy: ...Show up & skip 3 lines, lol
We witnessed this first hand at Christmas time. A lady and her kids were standing at the FP+ tap point talking with a CM at 7DMT. She was really upset saying she had 3 fast passes and didn't understand she had to book them in advance. The CM was trying to explain as we passed by. I really felt bad for her and her kids.

We witnessed this first hand at Christmas time. A lady and her kids were standing at the FP+ tap point talking with a CM at 7DMT. She was really upset saying she had 3 fast passes and didn't understand she had to book them in advance. The CM was trying to explain as we passed by. I really felt bad for her and her kids.

This brings up the point made earlier - Disney in my opinion does a horrible job communicating just how one needs to plan for a Disney trip.

I'm on the front page now - with a wide angle shot of Star Wars area with maybe 10 guests in the picture plus CMs.

Then there is a section for Can't Miss Experiences and ROTR is the first one. Clicking on it brings you to a description that sounds FANTASTIC - no mention of all about waiting in line in the wee hours to (hopefully) get a boarding group.

The 3 minute video on the planning page shows characters walking around hugging kids.

Several more videos on planning that I'll watch for my amusement. If any of them say anything about booking FP+ ahead of time, then I'll (somewhat) take back what I've said. But SOMEWHERE there ought to be at least a fine print disclaimer saying the parks can be very crowded and advance planning is highly recommended -

then link to the DIS Boards :)

This brings up the point made earlier - Disney in my opinion does a horrible job communicating just how one needs to plan for a Disney trip.

I'm on the front page now - with a wide angle shot of Star Wars area with maybe 10 guests in the picture plus CMs.

Then there is a section for Can't Miss Experiences and ROTR is the first one. Clicking on it brings you to a description that sounds FANTASTIC - no mention of all about waiting in line in the wee hours to (hopefully) get a boarding group.

The 3 minute video on the planning page shows characters walking around hugging kids.

Several more videos on planning that I'll watch for my amusement. If any of them say anything about booking FP+ ahead of time, then I'll (somewhat) take back what I've said. But SOMEWHERE there ought to be at least a fine print disclaimer saying the parks can be very crowded and advance planning is highly recommended -

then link to the DIS Boards :)
You know what else cracks me up?

As DH and I plan for our trip, we try to find out specific details within the WDW site. Almost always there is not nearly enough info. Luckily we are familiar enough with the fansites to know which one will best provide the details were looking for. Can't rely on the WDW site.

Can't rely on the WDW site.

I suspect very few of us "vets" even look at it. Certainly none of us rely on it at all. The videos are worthless I've just discovered. MANY more real life videos on YouTube.

Thank goodness for sites like this (I know there are others that have been around for many years) and the Unofficial Guide - daunting if not intimidating but the sheer volume of it ought to be a tip-off that this is no "walk in the park" so to speak. And Touring Plans is an amazing value for a year subscription. If time is money, they are severely undercharging. And they know it - but to their credit they are doing it not to become rich but to share their love of Disney.

Like my analogy of having kids - the joy FAR outweighs any negative assuming you're realistic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter