Peru May 19, 2009

Grifdog22

Barking Mad!
After Costa Rica in 2008 we are headed to Peru in 2009? Any words of wisdom from those who previously travelled? Anyone else yet signed up? Disney did a great job on airfare - cheaper to Peru than to Atlanta.

Hi! This will be our second ABD. We just got our airfare. Are you excited to go? Did you know that they changed our hotel for this trip?
Silvertraveler

I did this trip in October...it was fantastic...you will love it. I am curious to know which hotel they changed??

We are very excited about the trip. When we booked long ago they told us that the Sol y Luna Lodge would not be a part of the trip and went into detail about the "substitute" hotel - also has a spa, an observatory, horseback riding, mountain biking, etc. available. They suggested not making advance reservations for those activities until we arrived, as the rates are high and should change with the group, if anyone wants to partake. The parasailing is not offered here, however.

I understand the group is about 1/3 full so far - but that it is still early.

kdj469 - please share your stories, advice and recommendations from your trip.

Silvertraveler - where did you go on your first ABD trip? We used Disney for booking the airfare, and they landed a better price than I was able to find....my ego bruised a bit, I took their offer. Where are you flying from and are you leaving day 8 or day 9?

wow...I'm really surprised to hear that you won't be going to Sol & Luna...it was one of the highlights of the trip...absolutely gorgeous property, very unique. I was hoping you were going to say it was the Casa Andina in Cusco, as no one in our group was particulary impressed with that one, and I thought maybe they were changing it. I hope they have picked the new hotel to be equally as beautiful and special.

You will have a great time on the trip, regardless...it really is a great adventure. I'm not a big fan of lengthy reviews, as I feel they tend to spoil the "magic" for others (should they choose to read them, which I unfortunately tend to do), so I won't give you a blow-by-blow of the trip. However, my best advice is to arrive the day before to give yourself lots of time to relax and prepare for the trip. Take enough American $ to tip the guides, and to "get you by" for the beginning of the trip, but for the rest of the trip you will need soles, which can be easily obtained from the many international ATM's you will encounter throughout the trip. Bring comfortable clothes, layers would be best, don't worry about dressy clothes, as there really isn't an opportunity to get dressed up. Bring several pairs of shoes, so you can switch out if need be. Disney takes care of so many of the small details you really don't need to worry.

Have a great time. We are now taking our 15 yr. old son on the Southwest Splendours tour in July and looking forward to that a lot!

P.S. - feel free to PM me if you have any questions between now and the trip - I will do my best to help you.

We are leaving on day 9 and spending an extra day in Miami; we are taking an extra day in Miami to start with as well. It will make for a more relaxing experience.
Yes, I am disappointed at not being able to stay in the huts at the Sol Y. I was really looking forward to it.
We did Knights and Lights last year. It was wonderful.
We alays find our best airfare and get ABD to match it. We learned that trick right here on the DIS boards.:thumbsup2 . PLUS, ABD will handle EVERYTHING if there is a problem.
I hope it is going to be warm enough!!!!
Do they prove wet suits for the river rafting, and did anyone get Cholera or Thyphoid shots since we will be in the water?
Cannot wait to meet you and your family.:)
Silvertraveler

I asked about wetsuits when we scheduled and was advised they are available, and have sizes based upon the information we provide in advance. (I have twin daughters, and one is energetic but very petite - last year in Costa Rica the zip line did not have a harness small enough for her - and they made do (and I made sure she was strapped to a guide) so she had enough weight to get across/down the mountain). They were first class all the way.

We haven't made a decision on the shots yet. We are looking to hear from others as well vs. the side effects of the shots...

We're arriving in Lima around 2 pm - and expect to sleep all afternoon upon arrival. We too are departing on Day 9 - but not until around 6 pm so we can tour Lima more on our own.

Like you, I was disappointed about the Sol Y hotel - and asked a lot of questions before committing - it appears the substitute hotel is okay. This also happened to us on the Costa Rica trip, and while it was nice, they clearly were not used to a Disney group.

You have been on the trip (Knights and Lights) that my family REALLY wanted to do - it was their first choice at all times. We never could work the dates/dollars out - but maybe next year. I hope you'll share your stories with us.

We look forward to meeting you and another ABD Group!

You don't need cholera or typhoid shots - the "rapids" are very very gentle, so you won't really be in the water.

We did get hep A just to be on the safe side, and a tetanus shot for those of us who needed a booster. But really, the guides are so good at stearing you in a safe direction for everything from food and drink to providing hand sanitizer constantly, that you don't have to worry about getting sick.

It's too bad about the sol y luna, but perhaps the change is due to the one time people seem to have gotten ill is after their big food demo/buffet feast. (only one on my tour, but I think many on kjd469's trip)

Anyway, you will have a fabulous time - we still talk about it constantly.

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement for the trip. This is the link to the hotel we were told would substitute for the Sol y Luna (OOPS! DISNEY won't let me post a link. Look to casa-andina.com in the sacred valley close to the train station.

I have checked reviews and postings, and overall this hotel appears to have a higher ranking and rating than the Sol y Luna. My kids are especially excited about the on-site observatory and they are really looking forward to that. My 19 year old son is also interested in the mountain biking. My wife will be happy that there is a spa.....

We have class 5 rapids almost in our backyard - so rapids are not a concern....just the water temperature!

We are REALLY looking forward to this as our last big family vacation together for years. My son is completing his second year of college, my twin girls are 9, and we are getting older....and opportunities are less and less to do these things.

Disney puts on a good show - and the "return" on my money is better on a trip like this than investing with losers like AIG or GM...might as well spend it rather than have it taxed to support garbage!

We are almost 90 days out from Peru! Just wanted to bump this one up and encourage folks about touring Peru and the Sacred Valley. From the gracious and helpful postings of others, this sounds like the trip of a lifetime.

My mother is taking my DS(10) on this tour... lucky fellow that he is. Are there any other granparents going? What are the ages of your kids?... Grifdog22 has twin girls (9)... others?

The three kids are it - I just checked with Disney - and these are the only three. More special time with the Disney guide....

Also our booklet indicates we are staying at Sol y Luna - and this is not correct. When we booked we were told that it would be a different hotel in the Sacred Valley. I asked today with the ABD and they advised the books were incorrect - we are NOT at Sol y luna, but instead at Casa andina urunbamba hotel instead.

For those on our Peru Crew - don't want to have a false expectation....

Looking forward to seeing all on this trip.

I was in Peru a couple of years ago (sadly, not with ABD) and my bit of unsolicited advice about shopping is this...
The group will stop at the Awanakancha Camelids Center on Day 6 (note: not The Center for Traditional Textiles on Day 2 - which I've never been to). Awanakancha is a very well put together tourist stop with a fabulous boutique at the end. The quality and prices are both VERY high. If you're looking for something fine, this is a good spot. However, if your tastes are less boutique, the markets in Pisac (also Day 6) and Lima (called "Mercado Indio") are good.
If you wear leather shoes in Cusco, you will be offered shoe cleaning incessantly!! (I changed into my Crocs and nobody bothered me after that :)

Just wanted to give a head's up about the Pisac Market: on our trip, at least, we only had about an hour to spend here. We were also given an assignment of something to purchase (don't want to spoil it). This left very little time to do serious shopping. Especially if you are one who likes to get a feel for a market and then return to a booth, you will not have much time to really shop, unless they have changed this stop.

On the other hand, for stuff you don't have to give a lot of thought to, it was perfect. We got our Inca Cola tees here, and DD got her favorite llama toy.

There was much more time in Cusco to shop both at the big artisan market (can't remember its name, but it was hundreds of booths with traditional crafts and products at rock bottom prices) and at many individual shops tucked in every nook and cranny of the city.

You are going to have sooooo much fun! Can't wait to hear your report!

Back from a great trip to Peru. For those worried about cancellations - this trip had 13 total guests, and Disney provided two full time guides, and an additional interpreter guide through several days of Inca ruins. Three kids, ten adults, the best group of people you could ever ask to spend time with. The best trip we've taken, period. Ever. It's still a WOW.

The guides juggled all kinds of unexpecteds well (farmer's strike shut down roadways on day, Peruair cancelled many flights to/from Cusco, etc.) and for part of the trip we were not even aware of problems. Fantastic country, nice people, unbelievable food and locations, scenery and hikes and rivers that literally take your breath away. Despite what I had heard from others, the kids received an amazing amount of personal and special attention. Hope to post a trip report once the chores are caught up. I don't want to post any spoilers, but having been on a ABD trip before, we were pleasantly surprised at the amount and detail of the "specials" that were provided. I really don't think our guides ever slept!

In the meantime, a couple of notes for disboarders - we were told of several program changes by the ABD reservations folks that did not occur, such as a hotel change. Our trip was just as written. We were even told that the pre-trip booklet was "wrong." It wasn't. We were told very different information about the number of people coming. Our guides told us they were not aware of any recent cancellations by people on this trip....

For those traveling to Peru, we did not have a good experience with plane changes in Panama. Everyone else connected elsewhere with good experience. The Panamanians at the airport were difficult - we were to be "health screened" and "security screened" even though we came in one gate and were to depart an hour later in the gate beside it. They punctured kid's soccer balls (check for bombs in case previous security missed it), opened up duty free airport purchased coffee bags (checking for drugs??) AVOID PANAMA! This was the only blemish on a otherwise good trip.

I'll save the details for a trip post. Between this ABD Peru trip and last year's ABD Costa Rica, my five family members voted a very strong "BEST" to this ABD Peru trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter