Photo sharing: Sony Alpha

Neat tour and very cool shots. Rarely see coal mine shots. Too bad you couldn't find a black cat, so you could actually fulfill that common camera forum meme, 'photographing a black cat in a coal mine'. :)

A7rii + $20 Vivitar 75-205mm macro zoom I picked up at a flea market.

DSC03416-X2.jpg

A7rii + FE 85 1.8. Dance recital time! Took 7,000 + photos between dress rehearsal and recital.

BTW - The A7rii was an absolute monster and delight to use. Going thru the photos, I'm guessing 95% + focused nailed in low/bad light, action shots. AF-C with burst shooting. The buffer never quit on me (vs. the NEX-7 which continued to lock up after 3 or 4 quick bursts). It's not really an "action" camera but I've been really impressed.

Will add more...

DSC03583-X2.jpg

A7rii + FE 85 1.8. Dance recital time! Took 7,000 + photos between dress rehearsal and recital.

BTW - The A7rii was an absolute monster and delight to use. Going thru the photos, I'm guessing 95% + focused nailed in low/bad light, action shots. AF-C with burst shooting. The buffer never quit on me (vs. the NEX-7 which continued to lock up after 3 or 4 quick bursts). It's not really an "action" camera but I've been really impressed.

Will add more...

DSC03583-X2.jpg

Fantastic but 7,000 shots??? 42mb Raw??? Must have taken hours just to download into Lightroom...

The ability to also shoot in crop mode (APS-C) I found very helpful. I was primarily using the FE 85 1.8 and would switch back and forth from FF to crop depending on what shot I wanted. The crop gave me a FF equivalent of a 127mm lens, which in a way gave me 2 lenses in one.

The ability to also shoot in crop mode (APS-C) I found very helpful. I was primarily using the FE 85 1.8 and would switch back and forth from FF to crop depending on what shot I wanted. The crop gave me a FF equivalent of a 127mm lens, which in a way gave me 2 lenses in one.

True... but you also could just have cropped in post. Only difference is, your files would have been larger.

Saves me a step. Plus, much easier to compose the shot and get it right in camera.

Yes and no. I never use the 1.2 and 1.5 crop modes on my camera... It would save a step. And it can be easier to simply see your subject by enlarging it. But cropping in post gives you most exact control over the composition. I can re-position the rule of thirds in post... can crop not just from 85mm to 127mm, but also anything in between.

But if I was shooting 7,000 images, I might just take every shortcut I could get!

Yes and no. I never use the 1.2 and 1.5 crop modes on my camera... It would save a step. And it can be easier to simply see your subject by enlarging it. But cropping in post gives you most exact control over the composition. I can re-position the rule of thirds in post... can crop not just from 85mm to 127mm, but also anything in between.

But if I was shooting 7,000 images, I might just take every shortcut I could get!

For sake of argument, let's say I have two dancers on the stage. At first I want to get shots of each individually making their jumps. I go in crop mode and now find it easier to focus on that one dancer and her moves, without the distraction of the other dancer. Now, after I get those shots, I flip to FF to get shots of them together in the frame and how they interact. For me, it was a great tool when I composed the shots.

Sure I'll go and crop some if needed in post, but I find by using the different focal lengths I can better get the shot I imagine in my mind's eye.

Last edited:
Fractal,

What focusing mode(s) are you using above? How you liking the A7RII? Any surprises so far? Favorite lenses? Keep it up, shots look great.

Fractal,

What focusing mode(s) are you using above? How you liking the A7RII? Any surprises so far? Favorite lenses? Keep it up, shots look great.

Thanks @dmaxphil !

After experimenting with a few modes I found Expand Flexible Spot to work great with these shots. When you go through so many files you get a real feel for how well the camera (and photographer :D) performed. When the stage was well lit the hit rate was almost perfect. Even in low light the AF hit rate was 90% or better. The buffer on the A7rii seemed endless and left the NEX-7 in the dust. It never slowed down the camera for me and I was shooting consecutive bursts one after another. I was extremely pleased with the results.

I will say that it is a camera you need to spend time with. I imagine a Fuji or Olympus would be easier to use, but once you set up a few custom buttons and learn the modes on the A7rii you're off to the races. Then Fn button has become my favorite - it sends you to a grid menu that allows you to quickly changes the major settings (ISO,SS,f/stop,AF,WB,etc.)

As for surprises - I was surprised how well IBIS works. The complexity of the menu was also a bit overwhelming, you really need to spend time on it. Biggest negative surprise was the battery life. Using the cameras side by side, I feel the battery life of the A7rii is less than half that of the NEX-7. I assume the better EVF and IBIS have a lot to play with that.

I have 2 native FE lenses. The 55mm and the Sony 85mm 1.8.

Both are great but I'm quickly warming up to the 85.

The image quality is a good step up from the NEX-7, especially above ISO 400. My 8mm fisheye no longer renders purple vignetting on this camera. The images also feel much less "digital" to me and I feel the color rendering is much better.

Last edited:
Thanks @dmaxphil !

After experimenting with a few modes I found Expand Flexible Spot to work great with these shots. When you go through so many files you get a real feel for how well the camera (and photographer :D) performed. When the stage was well lit the hit rate was almost perfect. Even in low light the AF hit rate was 90% or better. The buffer on the A7rii seemed endless and left the NEX-7 in the dust. It never slowed down the camera for me and I was shooting consecutive bursts one after another. I was extremely pleased with the results.

I will say that it is a camera you need to spend time with. I imagine a Fuji or Olympus would be easier to use, but once you set up a few custom buttons and learn the modes on the A7rii you're off to the races. Then Fn button has become my favorite - it sends you to a grid menu that allows you to quickly changes the major settings (ISO,SS,f/stop,AF,WB,etc.)

As for surprises - I was surprised how well IBIS works. The complexity of the menu was also a bit overwhelming, you really need to spend time on it. Biggest negative surprise was the battery life. Using the cameras side by side, I feel the battery life of the A7rii is less than half that of the NEX-7. I assume the better EVF and IBIS have a lot to play with that.

I have 2 native FE lenses. The 55mm and the Sony 85mm 1.8.

Both are great but I'm quickly warming up to the 85.

The image quality is a good step up from the NEX-7, especially above ISO 400. My 8mm fisheye no longer renders purple vignetting on this camera. The images also feel much less "digital" to me and I feel the color rendering is much better.

What's the next lens on your wish list?

If I were to trade in my Nikon gear for all Sony... I think my basic kit would need to be:
The new 12-24
24-70/2.8 GM
70-200/4 (already have this)
The 85/1.8

I'd probably want the 55/1.8 too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter