Photo sharing: Sony Alpha

_DSC1269-X3.jpg

Wow.

Beautiful shot Fractal...My one and only visit so far was all handheld, crowded as heck, and way too hot...so I have been waiting for a future trip opportunity to set up the tripod and do some long exposures there.

Beautiful shot Fractal...My one and only visit so far was all handheld, crowded as heck, and way too hot...so I have been waiting for a future trip opportunity to set up the tripod and do some long exposures there.

Thanks Justin! I must admit however that I was too lazy to lug the tripod that night. I took this either on a trashcan top or the top of a post. Both are plentiful in Pandora, however most of the posts had uneven tops which made me curse the imagineers a few times that evening. :D

A7rii + FE 85mm 1.8 in APS-C crop mode (127mm equiv).

Impressed with the image quality in crop mode, especially considering I additionally cropped the photo in post.

_DSC3035-X2.jpg

uncropped shot I took right before.

_DSC3034-X2.jpg

I'm very very very tempted by the A7riii......
And the 24-105 looks fantastic, may be able to skip a 2.8 zoom...
A7rii..... 12-24, 24-105. The 85 GM for my portrait work. I already have the 70-200/4.
That should be a good starter set... though I'd probably eventually add the 50/1.8 or 55/1.8..
Hmm... $3200 + 1700 + 1300 + 1800 = Youch.... $8,000......

Anybody want to give me $8k for my Nikon gear?

I'm very very very tempted by the A7riii......
And the 24-105 looks fantastic, may be able to skip a 2.8 zoom...
A7rii..... 12-24, 24-105. The 85 GM for my portrait work. I already have the 70-200/4.
That should be a good starter set... though I'd probably eventually add the 50/1.8 or 55/1.8..
Hmm... $3200 + 1700 + 1300 + 1800 = Youch.... $8,000......

Anybody want to give me $8k for my Nikon gear?

Get the FE 85 1.8 and save yourself $800.

The A7r3 does look fantastic but not enough so for me to trade out of my A7r2.

Get the FE 85 1.8 and save yourself $800.

The A7r3 does look fantastic but not enough so for me to trade out of my A7r2.

I use 85mm for almost all my professional work, so it's where I would want to really spoil myself. Not the place to save money. And I tried the 85GM at Sony Square.. incredible.

I doubt I would be tempted to upgrade if I was already an A7rii owner. But the upgrades may be big enough to draw in people like me, who were held back from the A7rii by lots of little things.
Things that I'd appreciate on the A7rii:
- Dual card slots (not a necessity, but I'm used to having it)
- Better battery (The A6300 battery already often annoys me)
- Thumb stick for AF (I HATE moving focus points on the A6300)
-Supposedly just a faster, less laggy and more responsive system.
-8-10 FPS with simulated live view. I don't shoot continuously often, but nice to have that speed when I do. (But would prefer true blackout free VF like A9)

These are the types of little things that kept me away from the A7rii. Saw a CameraStore first impressions video -- They said it well... the A7rii was a great specialization camera -- mostly a great landscape camera. The A7riii upgrades it to more of an all-purpose camera, to truly compete with the D850 and 5Div.

... as a footnote... A quick check on the trade-in value of all my Nikon gear... puts it around $4000..... Suggesting I could probably do closer to $6,000 selling it all piecemeal on my own...

I am getting an itchy trigger finger.... I want to give Nikon a bit more time to see what they do with mirrorless, see if they give me a good option that doesn't require starting all over.
But I wouldn't be shocked if you see me jumping on the A7riii in 3-6 months. Though I don't need the 42mp.... it is really getting close to my perfect Franken-camera.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter