Photo sharing: Sony Alpha

I'm posing a question to you Sony experts on this thread. DH and I are going to Yellowstone in January. I recently purchased a Sony A6000 with the kit lens and a Tamron 18 - 200 mm lens. I am making my Christmas list for my non-photography interested husband. Our local camera store suggested a lens HGX filter and a Rugged Card due to the cold. I also have more batteries on the list. I already have a polarizing filter and lens protection filter as well as a collapsable tripod. What suggestions can you give me for both equipment and shooting tips? Thanks.

I'm posing a question to you Sony experts on this thread. DH and I are going to Yellowstone in January. I recently purchased a Sony A6000 with the kit lens and a Tamron 18 - 200 mm lens. I am making my Christmas list for my non-photography interested husband. Our local camera store suggested a lens HGX filter and a Rugged Card due to the cold. I also have more batteries on the list. I already have a polarizing filter and lens protection filter as well as a collapsable tripod. What suggestions can you give me for both equipment and shooting tips? Thanks.

I had the Sony version of the 18-200. Decent all-around zoom lens, but a bit bulky. I do think you'll appreciate the reach on it @ Yellowstone, but much better lens in the daytime. I would consider buying/renting a fast prime. The 35mm 1.8 OSS from Sony balances well on the camera - my favorite Sony Emount lens is still the 24mm 1.8 but it's a bit pricey. But perhaps I jumped a little ahead of myself. What type of shooting are you planning to do? Mostly landscape? Close-up/macro? portraits?

I had the Sony version of the 18-200. Decent all-around zoom lens, but a bit bulky. I do think you'll appreciate the reach on it @ Yellowstone, but much better lens in the daytime. I would consider buying/renting a fast prime. The 35mm 1.8 OSS from Sony balances well on the camera - my favorite Sony Emount lens is still the 24mm 1.8 but it's a bit pricey. But perhaps I jumped a little ahead of myself. What type of shooting are you planning to do? Mostly landscape? Close-up/macro? portraits?

Landscape and hopefully some wildlife on the trip. I've seen pictures of people with these really long lenses, but I don't want anything like that - too much to carry. I find I am often so focused on the shot that I miss the moment, so wildlife in the distance I will just enjoy from afar. We will be going to a wolf and an elk refuge where the animals should be rather close with a zoom.
It will be cold. I have a pair of e-tip glove liners that I hope will be sufficient when I want to shoot.

Cold = extra batteries. The 18-200 should give you enough reach, plus the 24mp sensor of the A6000 will give you flexible cropping ability. The lens should suit all your needs in good light. Plus you have the tripod if you want to do some long exposure. Personally, I would fell naked without a fast prime - but that's just me.

Cold = extra batteries. The 18-200 should give you enough reach, plus the 24mp sensor of the A6000 will give you flexible cropping ability. The lens should suit all your needs in good light. Plus you have the tripod if you want to do some long exposure. Personally, I would fell naked without a fast prime - but that's just me.
Originally that lens was on my list, but the sales clerk at the camera shop (a specialty camera shop) said that the lens wouldn't do what I wanted it for - specifically this trip, taking better shots at WDW. She wasn't trying to sell me a more expensive lens either. In one of the classes I took at the shop, the instructor suggested investing in a good prime lens. I think I will add it to my list. Thanks.
I knew I would get good info on this board.

I am so bummed I did not see this board before our trip which sadly just ended yesterday :( DH is a photographer, has a new Sony Alpha and was excited to try out a few of his lenses and also test out his messenger camera bag this trip. We have a big trip planned for June/July- UK, Israel, Paris. What he realized on this Disney trip was that he doesn't love the messenger bag for long days and is now trying to find a back pack he likes. If you LOVE you camera backpack, please tell me what it is, pics of it if you can or link to the model. Why do you love it? Thanks!

You learn something new everyday. Problem comes when using EFCS at 1/1000 sec and faster shutter speed.

The adapter has the mirror that eats the light. What is the downfall to shooting without EFCS? Shutter life?

The adapter has the mirror that eats the light. What is the downfall to shooting without EFCS? Shutter life?

Biggest advantage of EFCS is no shutter vibration which helps with slower shutter speeds. I guess shutter life would also be a benefit.

Biggest advantage of EFCS is no shutter vibration which helps with slower shutter speeds. I guess shutter life would also be a benefit.

Vibration, shutter life and noise.

Vibration should be a non-issue at high speeds.

Wish Sony included an option to automatically disable stabilization and EFCS at very fast shutter speeds.

i-VpXmDhC-X3.jpg

For some shooters, the Sony 70-200mm F/4 will be the perfect compromise of size, price, versatility and image quality. For others, it will be stuck in a no-man's land of not fast enough and not long enough. For those that like the compromises, the build quality and image quality are exceptional.

I'm catching up, reviewing nearly every Sony branded FE lens. Now working on those telephoto zooms. Full review of this "older" Sony lens:

https://enthusiastphotoblog.com/2019/01/09/sony-fe-70-200mm-f4-review/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!