Photos in front of Castle?

MicheleC

DVC Member--BWV and BL
Hello. I am looking to the experts here for some advice. We got to Disney every year, usually multiple times, but I have a unique situation this coming trip. We are taking a trip for my daughter's Sweet 16. Trying to stay at a Grand Villa, but that's another story! What I am wondering is if she can wear her princess ball gown that we purchased into MK to take pictures? I know they have photo shoots available at hotels, we had one at Poly many years ago, but I just wasn't sure if she can just walk into MK in her ballgown or if that would be a problem. Any help or advice would be great! Thank you!

I am not an expert, but I don't think they will allow this. I believe at age 14 & up Disney will not allow guests to dress in anything remotely close to what characters/princesses wear out of concern that other guests would become confused.

Last edited:
If she looks anything at all like a character, they won't let her wear it.

anything remotely close to what characters/princesses wear

I think you have to semi close to a princess with hair, make up, the whole image but you never know until you get to the gate.

Look into Disney Bounding also I think i have read of people going to a park after say a Prom.

But OP though you didn't ask if you want professional photos in the park you need to use Disney Photographers.

ETA: I reread the OP and found the words "princess ball gown" so it sort of how close it matches any of the princesses.

Last edited:

I think if it looks like she's just dressing up, she'll be fine. (with the caveat that professional photographers are not allowed).

If it looks like a costume, I think they will say no.

Is she wearing a big full skirt, like with a hoop skirt? If so, I'm guessing the answer will be no.

You won’t know until you’re there (and it really depends on what the dress looks like - they won’t let anyone who could be confused for a character or princess in.)

Since there’s no sure way to know ahead of time, I would not even put her in that situation to avoid the embarassment and disappointment of being denied entry at the gate.

I’ve seen girls wearing ballgowns to the park. Yes they stick out and look ungodly hot but as long as the look isn’t an attempt at a costume it should be allowed.

You can book a Fine Art Photography session with the Castle on certain days. They may allow the dress for that with the caveat that she must change after. The price is pretty reasonable, too.

I have seen a number of woman ( in there 20s) in very very nice dresses some riding rides

Anyone age +14 with clothing dragging on the ground or looking somewhat like a character won't be allowed in... you can get portraits done by Disney's photography.

I once saw a girl in her quinceanera dress at the parks. She was wearing a purple dress with lots of ruffles and her parents were taking pictures of her in it.
She did not resemble a Disney princess in the dress.

Thanks everyone for your replies. She definitely won't look like she's trying to be a princess. It's not a huge ballgown, has a tulle skirt and is very pale pink but I wouldn't say resembles a particular princess. I would pay for the photography package if I can, just wasn't sure if it was available to do at MK. Thanks again and Happy Holidays.

Here's the official policy. Guests over 14 may not wear costumes. I believe a princess ball gown is considered a costume.

Inappropriate Attire

Attire that is not appropriate for the parks—and which may result in refusal of admittance—includes but is not limited to:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter