Pirates - Shanghai

qman6975

Mouseketeer
After watching the Imagineering series on Disney Plus I was struck by the Pirates ride in Shanghai. After watching a few You Tube videos I was in awe. Disney should replace the current American versions with this one!

We've been fortunate enough to have ridden "Pirates" in every park. The one in Shanghai is really, really a step above all the others. The whole experience is such an immersive feeling that none of the other parks can meet it. It would take a complete rebuild of any of the rides in the other parks to equal it.

Oh yes! Pirates at Shanghai Disney is an entire Island.

We went to the panel presentation about this at the 2017 D23 convention. All the Imagineer rock stars were there speaking about it and showing plans and execution. It was an amazing thing.

I agree it should replace the one in WDW since it's always been a bit underwhelming compared to the Disneyland one, and on that note I don't think it should replace the Disneyland version. If they have room for it in WDW is another question.

Yes, until Rise of the Resistance, just from the videos I've seen, I'd call it the best ride ever...maybe someday I'll get out to Shanghai to try it.

I think Paris has the best Pirates in the world, but Tokyo and Anaheim would follow closely. Shanghai's is my least favorite one personally. The screens aren't nearly as effective on a slow moving boat ride IMO. Plus Shanghai's ending is flat out bad.

I think Paris has the best Pirates in the world, but Tokyo and Anaheim would follow closely. Shanghai's is my least favorite one personally. The screens aren't nearly as effective on a slow moving boat ride IMO. Plus Shanghai's ending is flat out bad.
Interesting take. I'd agree that Anaheim is better than WDW. I put Tokyo somewhere in the middle. pirate:

I have only seen it online, but I would love for the one at WDW to get an upgrade. I LOVE WDW, but I feel that sometimes, since it is already so busy and popular, that it gets shafted in the ride department. That they feel like they don't need to keep it as updated as some of the other parks. Which is very sad to me.

They should keep that ride unique for Shanghai, its beyond awesome and a reason to return to Shanghai one day.
I do like the 'original' at DL as well, but leave it be for nostalgic reasons.

I've been on the Shanghai version and it was just as AMAZING as you imagine! But it is huge in scale! Basically would require a full gut and redo of the existing pirate rides, so I don't think that is going to happen.

BUT, I think they should use that technology on a new ride! With a different theme - doesn't need to be pirates, plenty of rides are boat rides. I know the Fantasy Springs expansion in Tokyo is going to have several boat rides. I wonder if they will incorporate some of this technology.

I’ve also been on every Pirates attraction and Shanghai’s is truly in a league of its own. Of the “classic” Pirates, I agree that Paris has the best version with the extra drops and order of scenes that makes more sense.

Maybe instead of replicate it, Use the technology to create a ride on a different IP (example Moana)

They have. It's the same technology as Ratatouille, Rise of the Resistance, Mickey's Runaway Railway, Mystic Manor, Aquatopia, and Pooh's Honey Hunt.

The boat ride system isn’t the same thing as the trackless system. I would like to see Disney use the Shanghai Pirates boat system on another attraction that isn’t so screen reliant. The screens don’t work nearly as well as the physical sets used on their Pirates.

Yeah, the boat ride system almost seems like a modified version of what Universal uses with Spiderman/Transformers but on water. (or you could say Indy and Dinosaur, but those don't have a 360 motion base)

Don't get me wrong, I loved the Shanghai Pirates, but I missed the animatronics of the originals, because there were next to none in Shanghai. I would be severely disappointed if they got rid of the originals.

Shanghai is a great park, but I really feel like they cheap out by using projections everywhere.

To me it’s unfair to put the Shanghai Pirates in the same category as the older iterations. It’s basically a completely different ride. Personally, I think it’s amazing.

To me the ranking is:

Disneyland
Everything else

We've been fortunate enough to have ridden "Pirates" in every park. The one in Shanghai is really, really a step above all the others. The whole experience is such an immersive feeling that none of the other parks can meet it. It would take a complete rebuild of any of the rides in the other parks to equal it.

Would you say that the clout of POTC has been...Shanghai'ed?

I'll leave now

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter