• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Plan to schedule Rhapsody cruise..only been on Disney.

MISSALLEN

I'm almost there!
I have sailed 8 times with Disney. I want to treat my brother and my sis with a cruise but Disney will be almost $5000. This will be their first cruise. Will any of us be disappointed by sailing this ship?

Your brother and sister won't be disappointed. They won't know the difference. You might be, but then again you might be happy with the amount you save. We've done RCL several times and once you get over the fact that its not Disney, its really not bad.

Last edited:
I have sailed 8 times with Disney. I want to treat my brother and my sis with a cruise but Disney will be almost $5000. This will be their first cruise. Will any of us be disappointed by sailing this ship?
In all probability you'll all be happy with the choice. We also did eight Disney cruises before we tried Royal Caribbean. 25 RCL cruises later we finally took our ninth Disney cruise. We were actually disappointed with the Disney cruise.

To the OP: Press release this morning - RCL just pulled Rhapsody from Port Canaveral and she will now be sailing 7-night itineraries out of Tampa. She is being replaced in Port Canaveral by the Majesty of the Seas.

http://www.rclinvestor.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2064882

You might want to call your TA and see what your options are.
Wow - that's a pretty significant change. Despite the reported new features on the Majesty, I'd rather be on the Rhapsody. The Majesty is possibly the oldest ship in RCL's fleet.

To the OP: Press release this morning - RCL just pulled Rhapsody from Port Canaveral and she will now be sailing 7-night itineraries out of Tampa. She is being replaced in Port Canaveral by the Majesty of the Seas.

http://www.rclinvestor.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2064882

You might want to call your TA and see what your options are.
I have sailed twice on sister ship Monarch of the Seas - which is no longer in RCI's fleet. I'm glad Majesty will undergo an extensive dry dock before it sails from Port Canaveral. However, it has the smallest cabins of any RCI ship, and they won't get any larger without a top to bottom redo.

I have sailed twice on sister ship Monarch of the Seas - which is no longer in RCI's fleet. I'm glad Majesty will undergo an extensive dry dock before it sails from Port Canaveral. However, it has the smallest cabins of any RCI ship, and they won't get any larger without a top to bottom redo.

Putting Majesty in Port Canaveral, has caused us to significantly alter our cruise schedule. We will never sail on that class of ship again, no matter how many bells and whistles they weld to her pool deck. We had been doing two cruises on Enchantment every year, and when they moved her to Miami and left the summer season empty, we decided to take the summer off and just do a Disney Dream cruise next fall. I'd still rather take the summer off from cruising than sail on that ship again.

We had only sailed Disney and the went to RCL. It's a MAJOR change. They do things way differently. It was a big adjustment to us. we eventually accepted that they are way below Disney in their processes and they way they do things. They are VERY money hungry. (they charge for many things Disney doesn't) once you get over that (took us 5 days of our 10 day cruise to adapt) You will enjoy it.
We spent 3 times as much as we did on the Disney cruise because of the extra's we had to pay for.
All the little Disney touches are not there but I guess it's true you get what you pay for.

I hope you have a great time. :)

We had only sailed Disney and the went to RCL. It's a MAJOR change. They do things way differently. It was a big adjustment to us. we eventually accepted that they are way below Disney in their processes and they way they do things. They are VERY money hungry. (they charge for many things Disney doesn't) once you get over that (took us 5 days of our 10 day cruise to adapt) You will enjoy it.
We spent 3 times as much as we did on the Disney cruise because of the extra's we had to pay for.
All the little Disney touches are not there but I guess it's true you get what you pay for.

I hope you have a great time. :)
Other than the soft drink package, there is absolutely nothing that RCL charges for that Disney does not also charge for. What exactly did you have to pay extra for that you got for free on Disney???

Other than the soft drink package, there is absolutely nothing that RCL charges for that Disney does not also charge for. What exactly did you have to pay extra for that you got for free on Disney???
I would also like this question answered in detail. If it is possible to take a Disney cruise for 1/3 the price of the Rhapsody, I highly encourage you to do so!

I would also like this question answered in detail. If it is possible to take a Disney cruise for 1/3 the price of the Rhapsody, I highly encourage you to do so!
I doubt the poster will ever come back to explain what she means. This type of passive-aggressive rant is meant solely to denigrate the competition while feigning support and encouragement for the OP. There is little (if any) substantiable reality in her post.

I have sailed DCL 7 times (2 4 days, 3 7 days, a Panama Canal Repo, and a Transatlantic repo) and then once each on Royal Caribbean (4 day on older ship from Port Canaveral), Celebrity (7 days NJ to Bermuda), Carnival 5 day (older ship Boston to Canada) and NCL (Pride of America in Hawaii), so I have done a variety of different types of cruises. None were all that different and all were fantastic. DCL started out charging for soda and after a year or so decided to include it in the price of the cruise. All lines I sailed had restauants you could pay for, plus dining rooms included in the price. I have never had to pay for anything else except for excursions, gratuities, and drinks. I am booked on a repo cruise on Royal Caribbean this fall, 13 days from Boston to Tampa. I am sure it will be a blast, just like all my other cruises have been.
Denise

I have sailed DCL 7 times (2 4 days, 3 7 days, a Panama Canal Repo, and a Transatlantic repo) and then once each on Royal Caribbean (4 day on older ship from Port Canaveral), Celebrity (7 days NJ to Bermuda), Carnival 5 day (older ship Boston to Canada) and NCL (Pride of America in Hawaii), so I have done a variety of different types of cruises. None were all that different and all were fantastic. DCL started out charging for soda and after a year or so decided to include it in the price of the cruise. All lines I sailed had restauants you could pay for, plus dining rooms included in the price. I have never had to pay for anything else except for excursions, gratuities, and drinks. I am booked on a repo cruise on Royal Caribbean this fall, 13 days from Boston to Tampa. I am sure it will be a blast, just like all my other cruises have been.
Denise
This has been our experience as well. With more than 50 cruises on five different cruise lines (DCL; HAL; Princess; Carnival; and Royal Caribbean), we find the differences between lines to be minimal, and more a matter of personal taste than operations or processes. Other than our bar tab and tips, we rarely spend any more money on one cruise line than we do on the others. We've never had anything other than a great cruise experience on any of the lines.

Your brother and sister won't be disappointed. They won't know the difference. You might be, but then again you might be happy with the amount you save. We've done RCL several times and once you get over the fact that its not Disney, its really not bad.
This has now changed to the Majesty of the Seas and they are still making us pay the same price. Read that this ship rooms are smaller. I am just going to give it a try.

We had to pay for the Character Breakfast. $10 per person (children included) Which comparing to Disney was just plain Sad. They only had 3 characters and it was rushed. I was told if I wished to see other characters that I could pay for additional breakfasts.

Also be sure to keep track of your pool towel at all times! They have you scan them out on your room card and any that are not returned you are charged $25 for. There were people who forgot to turn in their towels and we overheard them they they were just going to take someone else's.

We had to pay for the Character Breakfast. $10 per person (children included) Which comparing to Disney was just plain Sad. They only had 3 characters and it was rushed. I was told if I wished to see other characters that I could pay for additional breakfasts.

Also be sure to keep track of your pool towel at all times! They have you scan them out on your room card and any that are not returned you are charged $25 for. There were people who forgot to turn in their towels and we overheard them they they were just going to take someone else's.

They stopped the pool towel check-out almost two years ago, and As far as I remember, the Disney character breakfast was a ticketed and extra charge event.

Last edited:
They stopped the pool towel check-out almost two years ago, and As far as I remember, the Disney character breakfast was a ticketed and extra charge event.
You are correct about the pool towels on RCI. I can't speak for all character breakfasts on DCL, but there was no charge for ours on the May 2015 Magic Transatlantic. We did have to get tickets for it at Guest Services.

On Royal they stopped the pool check out? Because on my cruise 3 weeks ago they were doing it. and When we cruised Disney the Character breakfast was a ticked event but we were never charged for it. Does Disney charge for it now? because Royal sure does! LOL

On Royal they stopped the pool check out? Because on my cruise 3 weeks ago they were doing it. and When we cruised Disney the Character breakfast was a ticked event but we were never charged for it. Does Disney charge for it now? because Royal sure does! LOL
Haven't had to check out any towels on our last 10 cruises since they eliminated that policy. The only time they swipe your card for towels is when you are going on a shore excursion (leaving the ship in port) and want to take towels ashore with you. So the real question is what were you doing and where were you going when they swiped your cards?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter