Planning a Longer DVC Stay

For longer stays, I do know that there are several DVCers who spend their entire winters at DHHIR. Actually, they spend 30 days, then go to WDW for a few days (to fulfill the "No stay longer than 30 days" rule) then come back for another 30 days. And "winging it" as quite easy at DHHIR, one reason we go for at least 10 days every year.
BTW, congratulations on your upcoming retirement. DH retired a few years ago, from a job where he was a plant manager, working almost 12 hours a day plus getting phone calls in the middle of the night. Although I was concerned about him having too much free time when he retired, he says he has a hard time finding time to do everything now! But he loves not having stress anymore. Enjoy yourself!

What I'm having some trouble with is what to do with some of these rides that don't have FP like RttR and possibly others. That will force us to RD.

By November, these rides will have a completely different system, probably Fast Pass Tier 1. That might make Slinky Dog a lot easier to get too.

The current system is a disappointing mess (and the ride keeps breaking!) and is not sustainable long term. Whatever they are doing in November, it won't be this.

Another option might be something like the Day of Thrills Tour. That would get you on all the big rides, and eliminate the pressure for FPs.

By November, these rides will have a completely different system, probably Fast Pass Tier 1.
Hopefully this will be the case.

Another option might be something like the Day of Thrills Tour. That would get you on all the big rides, and eliminate the pressure for FPs.
Haha. That is not an option for us. We do not ride thrill rides. I just looked it up, and we would probably only ride like 3-4 of the rides. I'm a big chicken plus I battle vertigo, and my DH has blood pressure issues. I'm sure the suggestion would be great for thrill-seekers. I can see how it would save so much time!

Sounds like you're going to have a wonderful trip!

Personally, I'd make some ADRs at some of my favorite restaurants. Having an ADR already isn't going to stop you from looking at what's available the next night - you can always change or cancel. But it's nice to have something in case you just don't feel like thinking.

As for FPs, it doesn't sound like you really need to ride the headliners because you don't do the 'thrill' rides. So book some of the ones you want here and there. A late morning here. An afternoon there - maybe in the same park as an ADR that day.

As you're doing this, know your priorities. FoP? Try to book it twice so you get some options. Same for any ADRs that are a must do. If you book twice, you can choose once you're there.

It may take you some time to get used to an easy-going trip, but don't ever worry about being bored. There's so much to do! Any downtime is "do we want to hang in the room, or...." Sometimes it's just delightful to walk around a park. Or the Boardwalk. Or Disney Springs. Or go play mini-golf. The best part is that so much of the best of Disney doesn't have to be planned in advance. So give yourself some options, pick which ones are 'must dos', and enjoy!

Thank you all for the replies! So after some further thinking, here is what I've come up with. It's definitely a tentative plan. We have about 2-3 hours planned each day, mostly mornings, except two nights for nighttime entertainment.

Wed 11/11: Morning flight, check in, head to AK (try for same day FPs), dinner at Yak & Yeti with Landry's card

Thurs 11/12: Late breakfast at The Wave followed by MK FPs at BTMRR, HM, and POC; evening at Epcot for dinner at LC and Harmonius.

Fri 11/13: Morning at DHS (will try for RotR BG and RD MMRR?); Skyliner to Epcot for F&W lunch

Sat 11/14: DS around lunch (no ADRs but may try to eat at Maria and Enzo's?)

Sun 11/15: Morning at Epcot (RD Ratatouille and FP Soarin'), F&W lunch

Mon 11/16: Morning at AK (FP for FoP and Safari); early dinner at WCC (want to hang out at our other favorite resort) and MK Fireworks

Tues 11/17: Evening at DHS (FP SDD, TSM at closing); dinner at HBD

Wed 11/18: Check out at 11; Afternoon at MK (FP 7DMT, PP, JC); dinner at Sanaa before DME

This gives us three nights of no plans. I think that's enough to see if we like the idea of choosing where to eat "last-minute." We also have a couple of mornings with no plans in case we decide we want to RD something we haven't been able to do. What do you all think? Is this too much planning? Not enough?

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies! So after some further thinking, here is what I've come up with. It's definitely a tentative plan. We have about 2-3 hours planned each day, mostly mornings, except two nights for nighttime entertainment.

Wed 11/11: Morning flight, check in, head to AK (try to same day FPs), dinner at Yak & Yeti with Landry's card

Thurs 11/12: Late breakfast at The Wave followed by MK FPs at BTMRR, HM, and POC; evening at Epcot for dinner at LC and Harmonius.

Fri 11/13: Morning at DHS (will try for RotR BG and RD MMRR?); Skyliner to Epcot for F&W lunch

Sat 11/14: DS around lunch (no ADRs but may try to eat at Maria and Enzo's?)

Sun 11/15: Morning at Epcot (RD Ratatouille and FP Soarin'), F&W lunch

Mon 11/16: Morning at AK (FP for FoP and Safari); early dinner at WCC (want to hang out at our other favorite resort) and MK Fireworks

Tues 11/17: Evening at DHS (FP SDD, TSM at closing); dinner at HBD

Wed 11/18: Check out at 11; Afternoon at MK (FP 7DMT, PP, JC); dinner at Sanaa before DME

This gives us three nights of no plans. I think that's enough to see if we like the idea of choosing where to eat "last-minute." We also have a couple of mornings with no plans in case we decide we want to RD something we haven't been able to do. What do you all think? Is this too much planning? Not enough?
Sounds good, though if it were me, I'd tend to do EPCOT for a full day without park hopping. To me, park hopping is a waste of an hour or more, but I know a lot of people love it.

Sounds good, though if it were me, I'd tend to do EPCOT for a full day without park hopping. To me, park hopping is a waste of an hour or more, but I know a lot of people love it.
But my point is I don't want to do ANY parks for a full day. The only reason I'm hopping over to Epcot for lunch on Friday is for another day of F&W.

Sounds like a good plan. Going from Hollywood to Epcot on the skyliner is a breeze. Don’t forget to try for a 4th fast pass for Soarin after your HS ones. November should still be nice enough for evening swims. Have you tried Storybook Dining at Wilderness lodge yet? It’s a little pricey but really enjoyed it. Especially loved meeting the Evil Queen.

Sounds like a good plan. Going from Hollywood to Epcot on the skyliner is a breeze. Don’t forget to try for a 4th fast pass for Soarin after your HS ones. November should still be nice enough for evening swims. Have you tried Storybook Dining at Wilderness lodge yet? It’s a little pricey but really enjoyed it. Especially loved meeting the Evil Queen.
That's what I was thinking about with the Skyliner. That's a great idea about getting a FP for Soarin'. I guess I could also try for one the night we go to Epcot's fireworks. We haven't tried Storybook Dining. We stayed at BRV last trip and I asked my DH if he wanted to do it, but he didn't want to. We've never done a character meal. We will definitely have to do it when we get some grandkids! But WCC is one of our favorite restaurants, so we will be happy with it after a relaxing day around Wilderness Lodge.

If I know we will be going to a different park in the evening than the morning, I will get 3 fast passes for the morning park so I can try for a fourth or fifth at the evening park. Sometimes I don’t use the morning ones, just need to get three, once they expire you can get your fourth.
I don’t like character meals usually either, but storybook dining is very low key. Snow White, dopey & doc visit the tables and the queen stays put for photo ops.
Will decorations be up in November? Wilderness lodge is best for that!

If I know we will be going to a different park in the evening than the morning, I will get 3 fast passes for the morning park so I can try for a fourth or fifth at the evening park. Sometimes I don’t use the morning ones, just need to get three, once they expire you can get your fourth.
I don’t like character meals usually either, but storybook dining is very low key. Snow White, dopey & doc visit the tables and the queen stays put for photo ops.
Will decorations be up in November? Wilderness lodge is best for that!
I love being able to get 4th FPs in another park without actually being there. We will definitely try that if we know where we are going that evening. Maybe the FPs will help us decide where to go, but I have a feeling it will be determined more by the ADR. We have been to BoG several times but have never been to meet the Beast. I have a little anxiety around characters. The only meet and great I've ever done was last year with Pluto at HHI. I just kind of ran into him and I managed ok since it was so spontaneous. I am definitely hoping the Christmas decorations are up at WL. That's why I planned it for later in the trip. I love WL at Christmas! In fact, we had thought about trying for split stay, but we would have to borrow points, plus I'm kind of bummed that BRV may be undergoing renovations then.

For longer stays, I do know that there are several DVCers who spend their entire winters at DHHIR. Actually, they spend 30 days, then go to WDW for a few days (to fulfill the "No stay longer than 30 days" rule) then come back for another 30 days. And "winging it" as quite easy at DHHIR, one reason we go for at least 10 days every year.
BTW, congratulations on your upcoming retirement. DH retired a few years ago, from a job where he was a plant manager, working almost 12 hours a day plus getting phone calls in the middle of the night. Although I was concerned about him having too much free time when he retired, he says he has a hard time finding time to do everything now! But he loves not having stress anymore. Enjoy yourself!

What is DHHIR?

We went on our first total impulse trip in 2006 - we'd just returned from a trip with our two younger, then teenagers, so we had no plans at all. We had a great time. It was totally spontaneous and we discovered a side of WDW that we never experienced previously during our planned out days. We started going twice a year, then thrice a year and finally joined DVC. Even today we'll do one ADR a trip and some FP+ but we're relaxed. We tend to be grazers versus eaters, ending the day with some salads in the room we grab at the QS at the days end. The better half likes to sleep late so I'll do a bit of internet time or read. We amble into the parks around 10a to use our FP+ and pop on to anything with a line under 15 minutes. Love to do HS in the morning and then walk over to Epcot with a stop at the ESPN for a late lunch and some TV time. This May we'll have a 6N stay at AK with one Special Night at AK, a MD's brunch at Boma's and a wine experience at Jiko's, no park tickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter