Planning a trip for my parents

Sunn_Soldier

Earning My Ears
My mom has always wanted to go to Hawaii and I have talked her into considering staying at Aulani. What activities can my parents do that do not require a lot of walking and are wheelchair accessible? Mom can walk short distances but can't be on her feet all day. They plan on doing Pearl Harbor but mom wants to explore more and potentially travel to other islands.

Also, are there any other resorts that you suggest staying at? Aulani is a bit pricey and I'm worried that will scare them away.

Aulani is geared towards families, so depending on your parents' style, I'm not sure its the best option for two people presumably over 50. The Marriott up the road is more laid back, less crowded/clustered, and IMO just caters more towards an older crowd or couples.

If budget is a concern, there is something for everyone in Waikiki. We loved the Waikiki Beach Marriott, but the Moana Surfrider is my favorite of the resorts we visited there.

If they want to stay out of the hustle and bustle of Waikiki, Turtle Bay in the North Shore is a great option too.

As far as activities, what do they like? History? Culture? Shopping? Dining? Snorkeling? Lots of options depending on what their interests are. I would definitely recommend a visit to Kailua if they are beach people. Waimea Valley is mostly wheelchair accessible to my knowledge, and most of the walking paths are paved. We also loved Haleiwa and the North Shore. The Dole Plantation there is another fun touristy option.

Thank you! Yes they are both in their 70s! They want to stay away from the main areas but be close enough to drive there. They are interested in history, culture, and food. I'm sure my mom will stop at shops she sees too. Thank you for the sugestions for hotels, I will check them out!

turtle bay may be a better fit, tho aulani does have quite a few things like the luau, and uncles stories that are quite easy to do. disney is quite good with assisting disabilities and if they have food allergies there aren't really any places that handle it much better.

any history/culture bits at aulani will definitely have disney elements mixed into it (its not a lot, and is well done...but is worth considering...could be either a pro or a con)

turtle bay puts them closer to haleiwa, and the polynesian cultural center (but farther from pearl harbor and waikiki...well depends on traffic)

time of year also plays a factor...if the trip is planned for dec - feb there is a much greater chance of very large waves on the north shore which could make turtle bay less attractive. whales could potentially also be seen depending on time of year as well.

Thank you! Yes they are both in their 70s! They want to stay away from the main areas but be close enough to drive there. They are interested in history, culture, and food. I'm sure my mom will stop at shops she sees too. Thank you for the sugestions for hotels, I will check them out!
There are places to visit all over the island. Haleiwa/North Shore is north, Aulani is west, Kailua is east, and Waikiki is more south. There's not really a good "central" place to stay to be in close proximity to all these areas, but I would say that Waikiki probably has the most to offer in the immediate vicinity. If they wanted to limit their driving to avoid traffic and parking, Waikiki also offers tons of organized bus tours with included transportation. We opted to do tours for Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head, and it worked out great. Otherwise, I think the furthest drive we made was cross-island from Aulani to Kualoa Ranch and it took a little over 90 minutes due to traffic. I think our drive to the North Shore from Aulani was around 45 minutes. If these drive times are tolerable to them, they can really stay anywhere and be within that driving distance, or less, of anywhere they may want to go.

For culture and history, I think the Polynesian Cultural Center would be a must do for them. Kualoa Ranch might also be a fun stop for them, depending on the tour they choose. The Ranch is also close to Byodo-In Temple which they may enjoy. If they end up staying in the Ko Olina area where Aulani, the Marriott, and the Four Seasons are, there is some great dining in Ko Olina as well at each of the hotels, plus Roy's and Monkeypod.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter