Planning a trip to Japan - RCI or rent points?

cobbler

DIS Veteran
Hello all -
For anyone who may have some knowledge...
I'm planning a trip to Japan in most likely 2019. I've tried to look on the DVC member site about exchanging out points into RCI for a stay in Japan but there are limited options available. Which is fine as I will do more research.

The world collection list on the DVC website shows more options available for Japan then when I choose the "exchange search" under the RCI website. I can't seem to locate the options listed on the DVC site, is it because there is no availability in the near future? Or am I doing the search incorrectly?

However, I'm wondering if it would be better to rent out my points and pay cash and rent someone else's timeshare in Japan.

Where might be the best places to do this search? Is it better to do this or choose one of the 4 options available through RCI with my DVC points.

Basically any information on traveling to Japan or sites that I should look at.

Thank you

Last edited:
Where do you want to go in Japan? And does it have to be a timeshare? I would suggest to rent out the points and just book normal hotel rooms. I would imagine timeshares to be very much tailored to the domestic Japanese market which might bring language and culture issues with it. We just went to Japan this summer and loved it, but I personally was happy to stay in hotels that were advertising on the international market and I knew they would have people who were proficient in English. English is not that prevalent in Japan and sometimes it was difficult.

There is a whole section on the DIS about Tokyo Disney and there people talk about Japan in general as well. https://www.disboards.com/forums/tokyo-disneyland.178/

The world collection list on the DVC website shows more options available for Japan then when I choose the "exchange search" under the RCI website. I can't seem to locate the options listed on the DVC site, is it because there is no availability in the near future? Or am I doing the search incorrectly?
The "exchange search" shows inventory with availability. If you wish to know the larger list of properties offered through RCI, even if they don't currently have dates available, search the RCI Directory instead.

While the RCI directory shows 60 options, if you scroll through you'll see many of those are the same location so maybe 25 or so total locations and most of them appear to be hotels rather than resorts. Too few options and too much uncertainty for my tastes. I'd rent and pay cash unless I knew the location and options already.

Holy cow! Apologies. I completely forgot about this thread and was pre-occupied.

It appears that I'd be better off renting my points and getting other accommodations.

Looks like it might be a bit of a hassle trying to exchange through RCI.

Thanks for the insights! :)

RCI has a very large inventory. The only draw back I've seen using them, they really seem to nickle and dime you to death. And those nickles and dimes are more like $99 and $199 fees.

I figure at the low end I can get $4100 for my points for one year if I rent through David's so I really think I am going to go that route. I can do an AirBnb house for a couple weeks or longer for that or even some other rental that seems more cost efficient from my very limited research thus far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!