• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Planning Our First Trip to Disney

Marseeya

<font color=blue>Drama Magnet<br><font color=deepp
Hi all. The lurking thread made me decide to go ahead and post about our upcoming trip. It's all in the planning stages so far! I'll run by what's going through my head and maybe some of the experts can give me some pointers!

We're going to go around June 5th or so, driving from Pennsylvania (maybe flying if hubby has his way, but I'd rather drive down and take my time). It'll be me, my husband, my 14 yr old son, and my 9 yr old daughter. We'd like to stay around 7 days and I'm leaning towards the AKL. I'm thinking of getting a 5 or 6 day park hopper, but we'll spend some time at Universal and Sea World. I bought the Unofficial Guide, and we'll try to use the touring plans.

It's all so overwhelming! I don't know if we should purchase a package, or room only. Should we go through a travel agent? AAA? I'm going into overload trying to figure it all out.

Hello
My wife and I have gone toWDW many times and aree DVC memebers now but we have done the trip many times and the choice of how to go depends on where you want to stay and when you are going what I did 4 years ago when I did a spur of tghe moment trip planed 30 days before we went. We called Disney and aske if there were any room specials or trip deals that were not online. Dependinf on the rep that you get you might get a better deal than the AAA or online web sites. Another suggestion is looking online at mouse for less otr mouse savers web site they sometimes have great deals. I hope it helps

:earsboy: :earboy2: :wizard: :jumping1: :jumping1: :jumping1:
I am going April 1 to Boardwalk for 6 days :mickeybar :earseek: :cool1:

Hello! Just read your post and thought I would respond. We have made many trips similar to what you are planning and since our children are around the same ages I thought maybe some of my info would be useful. We always drive but we're only about 10 hours away. I have stayed both onsite and offsite, but this year will be the first time my DH has stayed onsite. We have been to both the Universal parks, just about everything at Disney, Sea World, Busch Gardens, and lots of other things in Florida.

We've only used a travel agent once. Every other time I have done all the planning myself. I love the Unofficial Guides. They are loaded with lots of useful info.

Well, if there is anything specific I can help you with, just ask!! :earsboy:

Thanks for the welcome!

Micki, I see you're from Pennsylvania. Do you drive when you go, or fly? One thing we talked about with driving is spending all day on the road on the way down, and taking our sweet time coming back and stopping at a couple of beaches.

Dixipixi, I'm glad to hear something good about the guide! I'd noticed on the boards that some people like them and some don't. For someone who's never been there, the book is frightening! But I'd rather be forewarned about some of the things to expect, otherwise I'd have just expected a stress-free trip to something like Busch Gardens, LOL.

Not that I have anyhting against driving. We spent 26 hours on the train last year coming from PA. I thought it would be better than driving and cheaper than flying. It was cheaper, but I will never do it again. Im afraid to fly, but with a 6 and 3 year old 2.5 hours in the plane is easier for me than 26 hrs. Your kids are older so they are probably better in the car.

What matters most is that you are going and are going to have a wonderful time. Have a ball.

Although it shows that I am earning my ears.....I can tell you I have a good handle on Disney and would love to help plan that trip with you...AAA does a good job but it is not Disney and they are travel agents (nothing wrong with them)...but there is much information here to make this simple and fun....your trip should be your trip give some ideas of what you expect and then all can be planned from there...

We would like to offer help in answering your questions. Please email us and we will supply you with all the Orlando information you will need.
Travelnauts

:banana: Hi,just wanted to say that your trip sounds like lots of fun.Have a great time planning it,glad to see you on the DIS!
Kirsten in Nova Scotia :Pinkbounc :hourglass

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter