Planning Questions

garnwr32229

Mouseketeer
ok so we are still in the planning stages. Still 287 days to go. Still looking at different restaurants we might want to try. Going on this vacation will be my family of 5(2 adults 3 kids) and my parents so a total of 7 people. My parents will be traveling with us and doing the majority of the vacation as a group, my questions fall into my in laws. They live in Florida (Sarasota area). They keep mentioning that they might come to Orlando to see us. However they don’t know what days or any details. I told them I’m going to have to know before December bc I will be making dining reservations they just seem like it’s no big deal, they can just decide what day they will show up a few weeks before we leave.
My questions are how do I make dining reservations if I don’t know when they will be with us? Do I just do 9 people and modify them closer to the day? Can I even do that?
What about fast passes? We can makes ours 60 days out but they can’t do theirs till 30 right?
How do you plan with extra people??

ok so we are still in the planning stages. Still 287 days to go. Still looking at different restaurants we might want to try. Going on this vacation will be my family of 5(2 adults 3 kids) and my parents so a total of 7 people. My parents will be traveling with us and doing the majority of the vacation as a group, my questions fall into my in laws. They live in Florida (Sarasota area). They keep mentioning that they might come to Orlando to see us. However they don’t know what days or any details. I told them I’m going to have to know before December bc I will be making dining reservations they just seem like it’s no big deal, they can just decide what day they will show up a few weeks before we leave.
1. My questions are how do I make dining reservations if I don’t know when they will be with us? Do I just do 9 people and modify them closer to the day? Can I even do that?
2. What about fast passes? We can makes ours 60 days out but they can’t do theirs till 30 right?
How do you plan with extra people??

1. Yes. Make the reservations for the "grand total."
If they don't show, you'll just be 2 guests less.

2. You can absolutely do theirs along with yours at 60 days out
(as long as they have valid tickets and those tickets are "joined" to your MDX account.)

BUT, the way I see it... If they don't care enough to set a hard date(s) to be with you even after
you have explained the importance, I would assume that they don't REALLY care
enough to be on your reservations nor FPs.

BTW, I, too have parents in Sarasota, and they didn't always "sync-up" with our carefully-planned trips, either.

1. Yes. Make the reservations for the "grand total."
If they don't show, you'll just be 2 guests less.

2. You can absolutely do theirs along with yours at 60 days out.

If they aren’t there do we still get charged bc 2 people didn’t show up?

Even if they aren’t staying on property we can all make our fast passes together?

If they aren’t there do we still get charged bc 2 people didn’t show up?

Even if they aren’t staying on property we can all make our fast passes together?
Yes to both questions. As long as 1 person shows up, they don’t charge you for the people on the reservation that don’t come (CRT and some of the shows like HDDR are prepaid and different).

If you link them in friends and family, you can make FP reservations for everyone.

For most ADR locations as long as any of the party shows up there is no penalty for two persons not with you, but of you are able to modify you would free up those two slots for someone else. If you can't modify just leave as is and check in with fewer people.

For CRT and the dinner shows you would forfeit the full meal price if the res can't be changed to reduce the party, sometimes they can change those a few days out but often they cannot. To avoid having to outright cancel CRT or dinner shows try to make a different res for the 2 of them and ask to be seated nearby or together when you check in, no seating guarantee though. If they won't meet up with you on those days cancel their res before the time limit, most are one day ahead but some places are two days to cancel and avoid a penalty.

FWIW...

I would make a couple of lunch ADRs (if you're planning lunches) make them for a party of 9, with perhaps food you think they'll like) such as BOG or another hard to get ADR, make FPs for that particular park for all of you and then let them know. I would not tie up my entire vacation, nor try to get hard to secure FPs and ADRs (ESPECIALLY with such a large group) for more than 2 days. The smaller your group the easier to get both of the above.
Plot out your days, so that at your 180 day mark you're prepared, and then if they can/want/choose to be with you, it's all good. If not, no worries, you've done your part. I definitely would NOT be making ADRs and FPs for them for your entire vacation.
You CAN ask if they have any preference for parks, but after that, you're done. You've done your part, you've told them how WDW works, if they want to see the grandkids, they'll make it work.

(The reason I say lunches, is that way they don't have to get an early start from Sarasota, nor do they have to stay late for a dinner ADR)

Have a great trip, and don't stress. Do what you can, and leave the rest up to them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter