Plantar Fascitis in Disney

I have struggled with PF on and off for a couple of years. At the suggestion of an athletic trainer friend of mine, I tried acupuncture two weeks ago. Quite honestly, I didn't expect anything. I tend to be a conventional-medicine kinda girl. But it made an amazing difference that lasted. I'm now planning a just-in-case tune up right before I go in September.

As with anything else, YMMV.

The thing that worked for me and my PF was Penetrex. It's not a RX. If you start using it about a month before you go to Disney - you should have no issues. You just have to use it as directed and not skip applying it for the first few weeks.

I developed PF out of the blue a few months before a big hiking trip this summer out West to the national parks. Got the cortisone shot, it helped, and I was not prepared for the pain to come roaring back. Did some PT and exercises.

But what helped me was alternating between my trusty Rainbows flip flops, which have an arch and a firm sole, a pair of Vionics sneakers (found a pair that don't look like old lady shoes) and most especially a pair of Keen sandals. The ones that worked for me were the Keen Venice. I was between an 8 and a 8.5 and went with the 8.5.

My feet got much better!

Any other tips would be great. I have recently been diagnosed with this and have not had great results with the injection and inserts.
Well, you have to do the physical therapy as well. In fact, you really should have done a couple months of PT before the injection. Maybe you did and didn't mention that, but if you didn't, you got the very painful injection for nothing.

I also have PF and always have heel pain in the mornings, Disney or not. I am considering getting a sleep supports to see if it helps. At Disney I try and rotate my shoes as often as possible, halfway through the day if I take a break. I rotate between Croc flip-flops, Sketchers Go-Walks and Teva hiking sandals. If my feet are feeling fatigued at the end of the day and I put a salon pas on bottom of my feet and put on a pair socks, it really helps the next morning.

I also have PF and always have heel pain in the mornings, Disney or not. I am considering getting a sleep supports to see if it helps. At Disney I try and rotate my shoes as often as possible, halfway through the day if I take a break. I rotate between Croc flip-flops, Sketchers Go-Walks and Teva hiking sandals. If my feet are feeling fatigued at the end of the day and I put a salon pas on bottom of my feet and put on a pair socks, it really helps the next morning.

Try getting an ankle brace. Mine was acting up really bad this summer and I wore a brace most of the time for about two weeks. It's way better now. I haven't had to use the brace for a while since.

I thought I had PF last year - lots of pain in my arch when I walk a lot. Finally went to a podiatrist and she diagnosed flat feet instead. She then prescribed a $450 pair of custom orthotics. I was sceptical as my $5 pair of inserts worked pretty well to control the pain. I am a convert now - my pain is pretty much mostly gone (and only flares up if I wear unsupportive shoes without the inserts for too long). My feet actually feel better AFTER I have done long walks in in the custom orthotics than if I just sit around. It's been a few months now and my arch pain is mostly gone (despite just spending 2 weeks at Disney!) and I don't have to wear the orthotics quite as frequently anymore. I still plan to keep them in my running shoes though. And I have severely cut back on wearing my fancy heels.

Don't be afraid to use an ECV! I didn't use one every day, but some days, it was a lifesaver!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts